Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: SEB Nam Pack 2: Released.  (Read 43305 times)

PFC_Mike

Re:SEB Nam Pack 2: Released.
« Reply #120 on: 01 Dec 2002, 02:42:12 »
Ebud, I'll accept your challenge. I am working on new Mosin-Nagant textures, and I have got a new DshK sound.

Offline SelectThis

• Former Staff
« Reply #121 on: 01 Dec 2002, 03:33:27 »
Heh, there will always be better addons out there, when you only make one addon and spend weeks or even months on that single addon, then it will generally be of high quality.

Given that there are 102 new models in the Nam Pack we couldn't really spend the time we would have liked to make it "perfect"...some simple maths...say 2 weeks per addon to do proper textures for it (not counting making the model and testing it's performance in the cpp and in game) - that's almost 4 YEARS of texturing time...

I don't think you guys wanted to wait that long ;)

SelectThis

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #122 on: 01 Dec 2002, 03:34:11 »
Hey, that's great! Good luck. I look forward to seeing what you come up with :) Remember.... we had literally hundreds and hundreds of textures to make.... all for free.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Jack Handey

ollie

« Reply #123 on: 01 Dec 2002, 06:18:16 »
Yes, the complaining I understand must be annoying sometimes to read over and over about such as, textures being weak, as PFC Mike mentioned, does not bother me, or what not. As far as I'm concerned the textures are excellent to certain points, but that's my opinion. The sounds and textures, you must understand can't always be prefect, because you have to remember this is only just a game, and the closest it gets to being real as possible is what you get, and I know it can be better this way and that way, but that's the best their abilities allow them to accomplish.

Still, the SEB team did their best and did a great job, considering the fact that they have done all of this for free and to serve the OFP community, along with the countless seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc you get the picture, they've spent. We all should be thankful for the wonder Vietnam addon pack, and not be critical on everything, but opinions are always welcomed and accepted, to a certain point, until the point they are constantly repeated over and tent to start to be a nuisance.

Everyone is entitled to their own "taste" of how things should be, and there is nothing wrong with that, but at least just try not to be critical on every little thing, and a little bit more thankful for what we do have, instead of not having it at all.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2002, 08:33:50 by Ollie »

PV

« Reply #124 on: 01 Dec 2002, 06:22:25 »
Can we get an "official nam pack 2" zodiac insertion craft?  I'm sure Colonel Klink wouldn't mind donating his.

Stinger

« Reply #125 on: 01 Dec 2002, 07:29:06 »
ok this may sound retarded but im wondering if there is anyway to put the doors off the dustoff onto the slick versions except open already on both sides cuase to me they would look alot better with the doors but thats just me so can someone tell me if it is posible? thanks

So umm is this possible  ???cuase on martins uh-1s he has the doors still with the machinguns but you guys took more time and out of that time came an excellent chopper or choppers

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #126 on: 01 Dec 2002, 08:38:15 »
Can we get an "official nam pack 2" zodiac insertion craft?  I'm sure Colonel Klink wouldn't mind donating his.

There is no real need for that. The LSSC fills that role much better. There is nothing wrong with using Klink's fine addon in addition to these addons. It would really only be different in name only.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Jack Handey

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #127 on: 01 Dec 2002, 09:08:33 »
My thoughts on what Ollie mentioned.

ST and I began this work over a year ago with the first pack. Then, we have been editing the new addons since May once O2 was released. Now this is no joke when I say that I spent almost every single night from 9-10 pm to 2-4 am working on this stuff since then. Now add in weekends, "sick" days, etc. Now then add in ST's time, which is probably more than mine. Now add Evis and Joe's time working on weapons, planes, tanks etc. The mines must have taken forever to function as perfectly as they do.... amazing stuff. Then factor in all the beta testers time. The total hours spent on this would make your head spin.

All of this to make something we've been wanting for ourselves to play with. We made this for ourselves first. I've been wanting a good Nam era FPS for years. Now I have it. It may not be "perfect" and some areas may be weak, but by god I think it's pretty damn good. I barely know what more than 4 hours of sleep feels like anymore... just so all the textures would be as prefect as i could get them. Try making seamless textures in O2 for uniforms, more annoying than I care to mention. Now do uniforms for about 20 or so units. Then try the weapons.... from scratch.

I could care less who wants what, what people like, who thinks it sucks, but the complaining and whining really bother me. Yes, my whining here is probably bad taste, but hey.... when in Rome....This was an immense amount of effort. Some people think you snap your fingers and it's done. Far from it. There are a lot of mods out there, some are looking really good, and release units as they are made, or hoard them for final release, but I've yet to see a better overall mod or conversion. Some do have better weapons or sounds, or have tanks and such, but Like ST said we could have spent literally years perfecting this, but there had to be a cutoff date. I seriously doubt than many mods will ever see the light of day in the end. I think this pack was an amazing accomplishment by all involved.

We had no budget. No real "freetime", and no incentive other than the fact that we wanted to make it so we could "play army" in the vietnam era. If we'd had a budget and were able to work full time on it... it'd have been perfect.

But since this was a free addon, I suggest people just accept the fact that you get what you pay for and either deal with the small imperfections and possibly make a comment on what you find.

As for asking for units, weapons, vehicles, changes, etc.... work with what you have and be grateful you have these addons. People are already whining about release dates for the next set of packs? This has barely been out for a few days.

The only real consolation is that the people who have been waiting for something like this will appreciate it. The others will just complain, ask for more, or nitpick the hell out of it just to see how many times they can post " ...it should have been done this way...." I'm speaking generally of all the forums.

All I can say is, I can really see why people drop out. There's just no pleasing people anymore :)
Jack Handey

Stinger

« Reply #128 on: 01 Dec 2002, 09:18:25 »
im not whinning but if my post made it seem like that im sorry im not asking for some changes i was just wondering if it is possible so i could take a dab at it if its not then i wont try but im sorry if it made it seem like i was asking for you guys to change it cuase i wasnt i was going to do it myself if its possible. i think this is the best addons/addon pack ive ever had the pleasure to play with and i appreciate you guys actually taking your time and making this addon pack possible.
So thank you guys for making this. this is the best addon pack ive ever seen and had the pleasure of playing with

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #129 on: 01 Dec 2002, 09:37:51 »
my above post was not aimed at any specific person or post. Just a general statement. Most everything I've read has been positive on this and the main 1985 board, and that has been more than I/we could have hoped for. The bugs I can handle hearing about, but the complaints annoy me, even if they may be founded in reality.
Jack Handey

Chomps

« Reply #130 on: 01 Dec 2002, 10:18:17 »
It is a lot like getting a brand new sports car as a gift from your friend, but with a tape player instead of a CD player....

The fact remains it still is a very sweet ride, and your friend must have gave it to you at great cost, and it is not that the tape player is bad, but you still want that CD player.

At the same time, imagine how your friend would feel if you said, "Thanks, but a CD player inside would have been better."  No matter how nicely you say it, and however true it may be, it still feels awkward.

In conclusion...

Thanks for the car, SEB!!   ;D

Oh, and if you want to get me something later on, I could always use that CD player.

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #131 on: 01 Dec 2002, 10:44:05 »
Now that's an analogy I can live with!
Jack Handey

PV

« Reply #132 on: 01 Dec 2002, 10:48:21 »
another question:

why aren't the mines installed by by default with the pack? Why do you give us the zip within the zip to do it ourselves?  just curious.  I don't think alot of people have manually installed them.

imemyself

« Reply #133 on: 01 Dec 2002, 10:50:55 »
I don't think it was made by the same people.  I believe the chain of command mod made them.

FatJoe

« Reply #134 on: 01 Dec 2002, 11:24:06 »
and your belivement is correct...

The mines were made by Dinger and Jostapo from Chain of Command, many thanks to them as the mines are amazingly great!

Cheers
Joe
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2002, 11:25:20 by FatJoe »