Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Defensive Strike  (Read 18240 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:A Defensive Strike
« Reply #45 on: 11 Jun 2004, 20:28:05 »
I've now read the rest of the thread (I avoid doing so before playing so as not to spoil any surprises) and have a couple of quick observations:

You just can't get an ofp mission over about 500k - it's all text files really.   You need big pics or sound.

The distance from the DZ to the first base is fine.   A fraction shorter would be nice, but you need a good landing ground and because of the open hillside its not that far till you are in sight of the base.   I never saw or found or got shot at by soldiers behind me at the first base, though it did happen at the junction.

Screenshot for the the overview pic is not a requirment:  you can have anything you like.   ofpec reviewers will mark you down for not having a pic at all, but non-screenies, as long as they are good and relevant (which this is) will probably get you a small bonus.    I like it anyway.  

Only just discovered the readme.   A cogent summary of the stuff about the radio channels should be in the Briefing.

I noticed and enjoyed the burn script.    The scuds smoked for ages.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #46 on: 11 Jun 2004, 20:33:40 »
GRK,

The smoke script is a modified version of the Script BSmoke that has been posted by Babylon.  All I did was change it so that there was a three phase burn:
1. Flames, Embers and Smoke
2. Less Embers and less Smoke, no flame
3. Even less Smoke and no embers or flame.
Each phase being of random duration

All best seen without NVGoggles

I even put an acknowledgement to Babylon in my readme file.!

On the number of kills - not really something I looked at.  The second base is reinforced by two Urals each bringing an infantry squad.  So with two well placed LAWs you really can notch up the kills.  It is really three quite heavy assaults - I will take macguba's comments about making the second one easier.  Also remember macguba was on his own, he lost his team and all of Bravo so he had to do all the fighting.  He also pretty much wiped out the second base - I pull Bravo out once the SCUDs are dead and there is still a lot of fight in the base at that time.

So, anyway - a lot of work still to do.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #47 on: 11 Jun 2004, 20:37:45 »
macguba,

The scuds have a special burn script that burns and burns until the closing scene triggers them to end (randomly - it is never the same twice)

On the size for the file:  It was ~700k with the picture all the sounds (none of my own anyway) and as soon as I converted the opening scene into an intro it became more like 3Mbt!
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2004, 20:38:16 by THobson »

Dubieman

« Reply #48 on: 11 Jun 2004, 22:18:35 »
Maybe I should have gotten to the readme. ::)

Anyways Macguba's just showing off his skills takin on the whole red army alone. Good job mate.:thumbsup:

Anyways the burn script adds to the mission, a little bit of eye candy.

I bet the mission is near completion, the difficulty seems about right, and I've played some tough missions. Yours is one that takes time to do, not a quickie, just solid assaulting in the night.

I'll stop rambling...

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #49 on: 13 Jun 2004, 16:27:25 »
OK.  I have taken on board everything macguba said and I have implemented most of it - plus some other stuff.  I think I have dealt with the headless chickens syndrome, but what I have not yet done is to get the Russian groups to join together as they take casualties.  To be honest I am sure how to do that in a simple way.

The file size is now down to a more manageable 240Kbts, but I now have a new problem.  In the Briefing when you click on the ‘Group' tab you now get a blank page!  Any ideas anyone?

I am now going to watch the football and then I will be away on business for a week, so please try it and please let me know what you think - but I will not be able to do anything with your comments until next weekend.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2004, 16:34:17 by THobson »

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #50 on: 13 Jun 2004, 23:41:40 »
13 June.  I have had a few problems uploading the new file.  If you downloaded before about 23:20 British Summer Time (22:20 GMT) on 13 June then please download again.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2004, 23:42:42 by THobson »

Dubieman

« Reply #51 on: 14 Jun 2004, 01:22:45 »
I think groups only shows up in the single player mode, not in editing or testing with the editor. Not sure though.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #52 on: 14 Jun 2004, 11:58:37 »
I've seen this a few times in user missions.  I've no idea what causes it.   Don't think it makes any difference whether you're the Editor or Single Missions.

Check the init lines of the player's group.   Also check the grouping and synchronisation of the group to triggers etc.   I have a feeling it's a game bug related to join waypoints or commands or something like that.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #53 on: 15 Jun 2004, 03:58:36 »
I thought it might have something to do with the fact that the 'Notes' in the briefing run to several pages (In thesame way that if the Plan runs to several pages then it screws up the objectives.

It could be that I made this mission not knowing how large a team I needed so although the team is now 4 there are five others that have their condition for existing set to false.  I will check this when I get home

Dubieman

« Reply #54 on: 15 Jun 2004, 04:01:45 »
Yeah my briefing got too large and everything messed up so I went through it twice and learned HTML and put in hyperlinks and fixed all my messy crap.

I'm not sure if you want to put hyperlinks into your notes. :-\

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #55 on: 15 Jun 2004, 11:10:15 »
You might be right about the long notes section.   It's worth using links to separate pages.   It's very easy - one of snYpir's tutes covers it and (as ever) there is a working example in the Tutorial Mission.   I don't think it matters if the links come from Plan, Notes, or a specific index page linked from one of those two.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2004, 11:10:52 by macguba »

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #56 on: 15 Jun 2004, 23:14:06 »
Thanks.  I will look at it when I get home at the weekend.  

I have also had some ideas about improving the radio chatter with Bravo, and also I have now found that the chopper has changed its behaviour at the end so I have some more work to do on the final scene.  Previously the chopper would just hangaround for a while and then slowly descend.  Now it just gets straight down - and that has screwed up some of the timing.  I will script it tighter so that it will always do what I want it to.

Bye the way what is the reference to reply 56?

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #57 on: 15 Jun 2004, 23:42:22 »
Click on the link in my sig line to get to the thread ... look towards the end and you will find the attachment I attached.   The first couple of posts in the thread explain what it's all about.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #58 on: 16 Jun 2004, 12:25:23 »
Thanks.  I am going to bebusy whenI get home on Saturday.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #59 on: 20 Jun 2004, 23:23:21 »
20 June: I posted a revised version.  I will leave it for a while, try it again and then submit it as a completed mission if all is well.  Then I will be able to have a look at some of the beta missions put here by others.

It is still a very long mission  but I really don't want to take anything away from it.  You certainly feel like you have achieved somethign when you get to the end.  I may make it  bit easier though, poor old Bravo squad keeps getting wiped out.

For a completely different way to play the mission have a look at the DoNotReadMe file
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2004, 00:14:26 by THobson »