Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Addon free campaign mission 3  (Read 2739 times)

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
Addon free campaign mission 3
« on: 05 Aug 2004, 15:45:17 »
Part of my upcoming campaign.
The campaign will see you playing as Victor Troska, in an alternative Nogova vs. The Soviets setting.

Mission 3 (Strike at the Bear)

This mission sees you, as Victor Troska, attacking a small Spetz Natz fast reaction camp in the dead of night.
Its a hard mission. You can complete it by going stealth. However if you are seen in the base all hell will break loose.
Weapon selection, detailed briefing and tank support make it a very engaging mission.

There are various things you can pick up as you approach the base. A good thing to get hold of would be Night vision goggles for your men. ;)

0 Addons needed.

Single Player mission.

1.96 Resistance

Get it here,
http://www.freewebs.com/ofpbob/battlecryprogresspage.htm

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available from the Missions Depot.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2010, 21:15:33 by Walter_E_Kurtz »
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Addon free campaign mission 3
« Reply #1 on: 05 Aug 2004, 22:17:11 »
Just had time to start it and no more.   Looks good so far.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2004, 15:22:15 »
Mission updated. Various bugs fixed.
AI enhanced.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2004, 20:40:13 »
Strike at the Bear = Snake Bite?  The title was a bit of a confusion.

INTRO & BRIEFING
Good, clear, precise.  Not over elaborate, everything works and I saw no spelling errors.  Voices were good.

Only comment: Prior to the Intro and prior to the breifing I just got the message 'Loading...' Could you not give a clue as to where we are, just to add some atmosphere?

Challenging choice of weapons, fits the description in the briefing very well.  I took:
Hunting rife (I really wanted the HK, but with only one mag??)
RPG with one shot
2x satchel charges
Ingram
Binolulars and NVG.

A couple of guys had PKs, all the rest AK47s of some sort one with hand grenades, one with satchel charges and one with an rpg.

This was my first guess, I will try something different on future attempts

MISSION
Nice start.  All Hold fire, Alert and heading east.  I was begining to wonder if I should have gone north and taken out the Spetz Natz that were outside the base when I got an 'Update retry position'  so something must be happening soon.  Total fluke, my men start reporting man 3 o'clock 50 etc.  I turn and see a patrol walking away from me!  Just lucky.  Avoid the shilka and get into position above the town.  Can see some patrols, a chopper etc.  I put my men in a defensive position at the top of the hill overlooking the town and went in to investigate.  By now I have decided I will take the HK next time and perhaps not head straight for the town.  Anyway my first rec did not go well.  I was please to by-pass a guard in a french barn type of building and crawled to his left up to the central square.  Shortly after that the alarm went off.  I turned to see a Russion soldier a few feet away standing watching me in SAFE mode.  I shot him and several others with my hand gun but eventually they got me.

A few comments so far.  The mission starts just as dawn is breaking - it will be light soon, speed could well be important. So it feels like it might be a stealth mission in a hurry,  not good for the blood pressure. What will happen in the mission if I wait until daylight, will the camp come to life and make it impossible?  I would prefer a bit of an earlier start to allow more time before daylight - but perhaps the urgency is your intention.

The guy that spotted me should not have still been safe by the time I saw him.

Next time from the hill overlooking the town I thought I would see if I could beat them in a firefight, so I started sniping the patrols in the town, the M2 gunner, anyone I could find.  They kept dropping, but no alarm!  I even put an rpg into the chopper to try and wake them up - no luck.  They just slept through it.  Not very realisitic.  It makes me think I could have taken out the patrol I saw earlier and these guys  in the town would just ignor it.

This has a really good feel to it.  I can imagine playing this time and again, but I would have to feel that if I did silly things I would be punished for it.

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2004, 21:47:12 »
Cheers for the test THobson.

A couple of things,

The guy who was in safe mode while you shot him. I can't control reaction times. If you shot him faster than he reacted then that's his problem.

The alarm not going off even after an rpg shot? They should have gone nuts. Maybe I'll give more guys NVGs as I think its down to them not seeing you. The alarms are "Resistance detected by East" triggers.

The loading bits are staying. In the other missions you'll get the idea of where you're going to be in the Next mission.

The HK ammo is low because you're not really supposed to have it. Its just what turned up when your cell was collecting weapons.

Once all the missions are done the weapons will be totally different. I'll use a system like the original campaign did.

Cheers again.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2004, 00:01:05 »
I am not sure more NVGs will solve it.  By the time I hit the helicopter anyone I could see was dead.

What about some (not alive  ...)  triggers for the alarm? or am I supposed to sneak in topping the guards before they see me?  (Okay for them to be dead so long as they don't know I am there?)

A real problem I have with my missions is how to deal with noise.  Killing guards silently (even close up when they have seen me) should allow several (even many) minutes before an alarm is raised  (so that screws the 'detected by' trigger - though... having said that if there is a way in a script to identify which unit did the detecting that activated a 'detected by' trigger it should be possible to deal with that bit - just check if he is still alive).  

Missing someone from long range using a noisy weapon should cause an alarm pretty quickly.

I have not figured it out yet

Edit:  What a dummy I am!!  Well it is late on Friday and I am into my second bottle of red, but it only now occurs to me that 'this list' (or is it  '_this list' ?)  in the trigger should enable us to see if the individual that that did the detecting is still alive after a resonable amount of time.

Is there anything known about noisy weapons?
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2004, 00:52:40 by THobson »