Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Defensive Strike  (Read 18239 times)

Dubieman

Re:A Defensive Strike
« Reply #15 on: 02 Jun 2004, 20:03:18 »
I'll make one comment here, the ppl inside the base didn't shoot at me. Every other enemy outside of the base did.

Try to prevent the player from getting in the bmp in the first place and the T80, I shouldn't have that much firepower. ::)

Wait one solution to why I wasn't shot at, I think the commander was still chillin in the bmp, I'm not sure if he was dead or not but when I asked my team to get in the bmp wasn't marked white in the text, it was still red so I think that the enemy still being the tank was the problem.
They didn't want to shoot their own. :o
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2004, 20:05:03 by GuiltyRoachKilla »

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #16 on: 04 Jun 2004, 19:58:38 »
Thanks.  I have now locked all the east armor as well as making a whole range of other revisions that I think deal with all the problems you and The Real Armstrong found.  

I have also completely re-written the radio commands giving a lot more flexibility for this (and future) mission(s).

The readme file is more extensive and explains a lot.  

New files uploaded today

If anyone gets chance to try it I would very much welcome any comments
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2004, 20:11:56 by THobson »

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jun 2004, 15:52:26 »
OK I think this is now in its final stages - just an Intro to write.  Everything else fixed.

I have also moved the site from which you download - It now all comes down in one zip file instead of the pbo and readme files coming separately.

Apart from The Real Armstrong and GRK has anyone had chance to have a look at this?

Gooner861

« Reply #18 on: 06 Jun 2004, 16:10:41 »
Downloading now m8, this will be my first time beta testing so i dunno how useful my input will be.......

Gooner861

« Reply #19 on: 06 Jun 2004, 16:39:58 »
Well just played first parts of it, aint got time to complete it all:

Overview:
I liked it, nice pic.

Briefing:
Very clear, simple, not to much writing which is always good, markers worked.

Cutscene:
Armstongs rite, u shud make this ur intro cos its way to long to watch every single time. Its not bad either, showing the camp but not the most exciting cutscene.

Mission:
Parachuting worked fine. Only thing i dnt like is having to run ALLLLL that way, but i suppose u can't drop right on the enemy  ;D .
Flare went up and all hell broke loose, the mgs let loose and i had to dash for cover, took out the BMP. Thought i was safe at the base of the hill but i get hearing "enemy officer 4' o clock" which was behind me but i thought my guys cud get them. Advanced on the base took out the mgs, i advanced a little more than BANG BANG, i was dead sum1 got me frm behind.

I'll try again sum other time. I aint a big fan myself of black op missions but this one seems interesting and fun. Looks good so far.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jun 2004, 20:43:24 »
Thanks for the comments.  I suppose I had better make the opening scene an Intro then.  A pity because I don't think it would mean much until after you have read the briefing.  But if it puts people off playing it it isn't worth it.

It is a long way to the first base from where you drop.  A few points on that, 1. the helicopters don't always fly along the shortest route between waypoints and you certainly don't want to be flying too close to the base - well not untill you have dealt with the AA that is. 2.  There are a lot of trees around and I have tried to land you in a clearing - trees can be fatal when parachuting.  3. when you got to the base you found you had soldiers behind you.  Maybe there is less distance to go than you think!

I am glad you liked the pic in the Overview.  It seems most people use a screen shot from the mission and so I wondered if that was a requirement.

Well I hope you get another chance to try it, there is still a very long way to go.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 07 Jun 2004, 19:23:27 »
OK,  by popular demand I have changed the cutscene at the start of the mission into an Intro - so you do not need to watch it every time.

I have also made the 4th Shilka arrive a bit earlier, changed when the savegames occur and a few othe bits of cosmetic stuff.

But my goodness making an Intro has increased the size of the file to 5 time what it was before.  Does anyone have any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong?

I will see if I can reduce the size and if I can I will post an update.

Gooner861

« Reply #22 on: 07 Jun 2004, 19:57:52 »
How big's the file now?

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #23 on: 07 Jun 2004, 21:47:26 »
The zip file is now about 3Mbt!  Compared with about 700K before adding the Intro

This is odd.  The sum total of all my scripts, htm's, the mission file and the overview briefing is about 500K in total.  Clearly converting it all into pbo file adds a lot of padding.

Gooner861

« Reply #24 on: 07 Jun 2004, 21:58:05 »
Do u have any custom music? I m having that problem now wit my mission, its 3 megs but thats wit custom music.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #25 on: 07 Jun 2004, 22:00:46 »
No there is no custom music or sound files.  

My son has written a mission with Intro custom musci etc. and that is 3Mbt.  Seems like standard size
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2004, 22:01:48 by THobson »

Dubieman

« Reply #26 on: 07 Jun 2004, 22:53:38 »
I don't know if you want to do this but I leave out my intro, outro, and music until its submitted officially to OFPEC so I have some new stuff to present to the public who might have already tested it. Plus it keeps the file size down... :)

Gooner861

« Reply #27 on: 07 Jun 2004, 23:42:53 »
Yeah thats quite agud idea actually, mite try that myself. But how have u left out ur outro and intro wen .pbo ing it? or have u just not made ur intro etc by that time?

Dubieman

« Reply #28 on: 08 Jun 2004, 00:31:48 »
Well I'm currently learning camera.sqs so I don't have an outro or intro yet. But I would think that they are scripts right? So just remove them from the mission folder before you .pbo it.

Think about it though, wouldn't you want to make your intro and outro after you make the mission? So it fits in perfectly with the mission itself?

Gooner861

« Reply #29 on: 08 Jun 2004, 10:12:04 »
Yeah ur rite camera.sqs r scripts.

I already had though out what everything wud look like in my intro and outro before making it but yeah it is best to create the mission than do ur cutscenes as u will know what u wanna do. I'll try that now and c what happens and what the file size of my mission is.