Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP/CAMP] Black Lands  (Read 16261 times)

Offline Clayman

• Members
    • Assault Mission Studio
Re: [SP/CAMP] Black Lands (Arma 3)
« Reply #90 on: 02 Oct 2018, 21:09:14 »
Somehow I can't stop thinking about this all day long, trying to put it all together in a plausible way. I can't help it, but I think the civilians in Grishino should be doomed no matter what. Just to show how pissed off the Russians / RS are about the killed colonel and for the extra bit of drama. So I came up with this. Might need some fine-tuning here and there, but overall it should work (hopefully).

• While Tomas and Kamil are on their way to Devil's Castle, Miroslav reports that he heard part of a conversation where the two villages were mentioned. But he is unsure what's up with that.
  • Shortly thereafter, Tomek (who is on his way to Devil's Castle, too) hears gunfire coming from Grishino. He turns around to investigate, witnesses the RS killing the civies and reports it to Tomas.
  • Tomas now realizes what is up with the two villages Miroslav mentioned. He is aware that it is too late to help the people in Grishino, but that they could make it to the second village in time.
  • Tomek however can't just leave the villagers to their fate. This is where we have the dramatic conversation between Tomas and Tomek.
  • Despite Tomas telling him not to do anything stupid, Tomek goes to Grishino on his own. Right after he opens fire on the RS guys, he notices the Spetsnaz (which he didn't see earlier) and panics. Tomek tries to hide in the barn and begs Tomas to come and rescue him, while the Spetsnaz start searching the village.
  • Add dramatic music, and voila! There we have our situation. :yes:

I hope I didn't miss anything obvious.^^
It's kinda irritating how much time I put into this. But it's actually great fun to plan this out with you guys. :D
I'm so looking forward to play this mission. :clap:
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2018, 21:12:58 by Clayman »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
« Reply #91 on: 03 Oct 2018, 00:16:07 »
A word that I used a lot in the last 24 hours: Wow! :o

:good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

I hope I didn't miss anything obvious.^^
Not having thought too much about it as I'm busy with another mission right now I'd say that there's everything we need. But we well see when I'm working on it. :D

A small addition: Not Miroslav hears the names of the villages, as he is far away in the village hall. But Viktor hears it as they both (will) have split up and he by coincidence is at another place closer to the meeting point of the colonel and the RS/Spetsnaz.

By the way, Clayman - one question I wanted to ask for a long time but I always forgot: Did you notice the similarity of this mission with Evil's Last Will? :D As it is right now it is more or less a copy of it. :)

It's kinda irritating how much time I put into this. But it's actually great fun to plan this out with you guys.
This is so much fun and I can't thank you both enough for your help! You will have a special place in the credits. :)
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2018, 00:18:24 by Undeceived »
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline Clayman

• Members
    • Assault Mission Studio
« Reply #92 on: 03 Oct 2018, 00:44:34 »
By the way, Clayman - one question I wanted to ask for a long time but I always forgot: Did you notice the similarity of this mission with Evil's Last Will? :D As it is right now it is more or less a copy of it. :)
Well, to be honest, I never before thought about that. But now that you mention it, yes, these missions are indeed pretty similar.  :whistle: I DID however notice the similarity of the beginnings of both Martin's List and For the Life of a Friend. Does that count? :D

This is so much fun and I can't thank you both enough for your help! You will have a special place in the credits. :)
I'm pretty sure I said this to you earlier, but I'll never get tired of repeating it: It's a great thing that you are actually open minded to adapt such ideas, even though it means that you have to redesign the complete mission. (...and it sometimes takes some time to convince you. :D) The result however is always a very special mission, which is totally worth all the time invested.  :)
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2018, 00:46:51 by Clayman »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #93 on: 03 Oct 2018, 00:59:54 »
I DID however notice the similarity of the beginnings of both Martin's List and For the Life of a Friend. Does that count? :D
No kidding, I don't know what you mean. :D (echt jetzt)

it sometimes takes some time to convince you.
I know, I know... :D

Offline Clayman

• Members
    • Assault Mission Studio
« Reply #94 on: 03 Oct 2018, 01:22:28 »
No kidding, I don't know what you mean. :D (echt jetzt)
Seriously? ???  I thought it was quite obvious that Pawel and his boss are an hommage to Piotr. And the cameo appearance of Kostja... Up until now I was sure that was intentional.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #95 on: 03 Oct 2018, 01:27:33 »
Hahaha :D :D No, as far as I recall it isn't related. While creating that Pawel dialog at least, I didn't think about FTLOAF at all. :) I think the name is just a nice coincidence. But it makes sense indeed because Pawel really was a lazy ass! :D
And the rockers, well - yeah, that makes sense too, but I don't remember if I had Kostja in mind back there. :D (I probably had)
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2018, 01:39:47 by Undeceived »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #96 on: 03 Oct 2018, 01:36:20 »
Oh, by the way, Piotr himself has a cameo appearance in mission 15. I don't know if you remember or saw him from A2 times, he is an reinforcement option in Guglovo.

Other than that I can remember a small easter-egg in Setting-Up Time, at the Russian road check in Vybor, where the player can either tell his real name (Tomas Cerny) and get shot or lie and introduce himself as "Peter Novak". This is the player character in the well-known campaign "Operation Cobalt" by Zipper5.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2018, 01:40:36 by Undeceived »

Offline Clayman

• Members
    • Assault Mission Studio
« Reply #97 on: 03 Oct 2018, 01:53:25 »
Of course I noticed Piotr. It was so cool to see him again in this campaign.  :)

The name Peter Novak always sounded familiar, but I never could tell where I had heard it before. Very nice little detail.  :good:

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #98 on: 21 Oct 2018, 12:15:32 »
Wow, lots of activity here.

I am positive about the missing rifle in Death Came Upon Me as I always check the ground too, not just the inventory.
Awakening was a great story telling mission, I really admire your cinematics. I hugged the shore most of my approach so sneaking to the agent was not difficult, and the rest was rather straightforward.
Starting to inflame again I was bug free but very challenging. I think the amount and short reaction time of enemy infantry trying to catch you on the way to the boat is overdone.
Starting to infame again II A very good mission once you want to get away from the Black site. Just too many mission-critical individuals that always fall prey to the "teleported enemy infantry", ending the mission each time. After about 15+ retries I gave up in frustration.

Partial beta test forSetting up time: Cinematics and story telling are top notch and really are testament about the time and effort that went into this masterpiece.
However, unlike the last missions, approaching Myshkino slows my PC down to a slideshow. It seems that there are a ton of scripts at work here. The dialoge with the salesman is just pure gold.
However, after countless retries at the Russian medical depot I just gave up. I feel like a dork wasting my life trying to beat a campaign that has just nightmarish difficulty. I might get back to it some time, but no guarantees.

Martin's list appeared to be a bit easier, but now I am stuck at a critical bug. I layed some satchels with a team mate at the road where you have to ambush the convoy. Teamswitched to the group leader and back to the saboteur - and the action to detonate the Satchels is gone!

Martin's List II is a tricky, but ultimatively possible mission without any bugs - great storytelling in the cutscene at the end. This was one mission I really enjoyed!

Inner Abscess is very good about story telling, the action takes a back seat on this mission, but it is very important for the story arch of this campaign. Well done!

Alexej Pribotov is excellent storytelling up until the last part. When I try to dislodge the infantry at the last known GPS position, I am overwhelmed by a T72 without a practical counter strategy. Another case of cheat-ending a mission.  >:(

Petrovka Strike (Preparations) is easily the most atmospheric gear selection sequence I ever played, very well done.

Petrovka Strike is another one of my half-baked beta tests. I can say that the objective to take the sniper rifle does not tick off, despite me grabbing a SVD Dragunov from the ammo truck. Plus, the SVD optics as explained from the briefing appear to have 1 chevron more than the real rifle, so I cannot hit the target!

Resurrection & Back to Safety are some of the best storytelling and camerascripted missions Arma3 has to offer - not much interaction from the player here, but almost as dramatic as in the cinema! With camera angles even up to a movie.

The Picture is a nice mildly challenging mission until it hits a showstopper in the castle. That camera is nowhere to be found. I searched every killed soldier, having high hopes about the officer, there is a wooden shack in the ruins that cannot be entered, and one of the towers can be climbed - not containing any trace of that camera. I am at a loss where to find it.

The Mole has an excellent mission concept that fails miserably in technical implementation. Within the limits of the mission area, it is not possible to crawl on one's belly unnoticed behind the soldier despite him being in discussion with our officer. He will always notice and shoot you.
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2019, 17:28:20 by mathias_eichinger »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #99 on: 28 Aug 2022, 03:53:48 »
Damn, it's really 4 years since the last post. :D It felt like a year or so because your feedback and the discussion were so productive, a really good experience. :)

Just a small hello from my side. And the info that work on this project did not stop (ok, it did for some years, but I always got back to editing once in a while). Almost all of your ideas and suggestions made it into the campaign. Right now I'm having a good motivation phase, but there's still much work before I can release a new version.

Again, thanks a lot for your help testing this!

See you soon, hopefully.
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2022, 03:55:28 by Undeceived »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
« Reply #100 on: 28 Aug 2022, 14:12:48 »
Hey Undeceived, great to hear you're stilll working on this! I remember it was a lot of fun testing this and I can't wait to see what you've done with it  :). I had something in the works back in April but now I'm trying to get my good motivation phase back  :D

Hope to see you soon  :good:
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2022, 14:17:47 by Gruntage »
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #101 on: 29 Aug 2022, 16:30:21 »
Oh and... @mathias_eichinger, after 4 years at last a big thank you for your test! :D I'll look into the issues you reported and thanks for the positive feedback too.

Offline Inlesco

• Members
« Reply #102 on: 30 Jun 2023, 09:10:12 »
Hey Undeceived! Long time no speak.

We're still waiting for a new version to play! We're still hungry for Black Lands! :D

Hope you're doing great, my friend. It's been a pleasure to provide feedback on your content back in the olden days. (I was more active on BIS forums instead of here back then.)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #103 on: 17 Sep 2023, 11:22:31 »
Hi and thanks! :D

From time to time I have a phase of some weeks where I dive into editing and then eventually the "water" is gone again, so to speak. At the moment there's no water too.

But I'll check out Bobcat from Gruntage. Hopefully this will pull me back to Arma again. The project is still active though, I didn't quit Arma. It's only that other games are more interesting most of the time. :)

Many thanks to you and all the others for the great feedback and testing so far!

« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2023, 01:05:18 by Undeceived »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #104 on: 22 Dec 2023, 01:25:46 »
Hello guys.

A small update for those who are interested... Since November 2023 I'm back working full steam on the campaign. In the past years I always returned to it and pushed it forward. In the current phase I'm getting there slowly, which means that I really want to get a new version out soon, which probably won't be in December anymore, but it should / could perhaps be possible in January. Or even between Christmas and New Year's Eve (not sure on that though).

I'd appreciate it if there were some willing souls to test the hell out of the campaign again. There are so many improvements that made it in. Other than that all (or at least the most important) ideas and wishes in this thread are in as well. Some of them are so cool, I still remember our discussions five years ago so well. :D And they really pushed the campaign forward.

And of course the rest of the missions is in there too, in the last version, there were only the first 13 out of 20 missions.

Ok, as I probably won't be able to publish the new version as a Christmas gift for you, I wish you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year!

« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2023, 02:01:18 by Undeceived »