Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP/CAMP] Black Lands  (Read 16222 times)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
Re: [SP/CAMP] Black Lands (Arma 3)
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jul 2018, 19:44:41 »
Road check in Vybor: Yeah, this is a bug! Damn. If you tell the officer the truth (your real name) you should get shot immediately. Strange enough as I fixed this some weeks ago, but it seems that it still is bugged. I don't know why but you remained captive (which is why no one cared when you carried the gun in the open). Will check that out ASAP - maybe later today.

To have some more info on what could have messed it up - can you remember how you proceeded in the mission in terms of carrying guns in the open? Did you shoot someone before that situation or did you remain covert and drove up there as an innocent fellow citizen? :) Were you armed at all (gear in backpack, vest or uniform)?

Though you do say in the briefing that if I equip a weapon I'll be shot at, I'm sure you understand that I can't just take your word for it  :D I have to test it  :P
And I thank you very much for that! :D

The EH works as intended. The one who drives someone over is the _killer in the EH and the one who uses a vehicles gun (e.g. MG) is the _instigator. In the exec code I added a check if Tomas is one of them. If yes, Tomas is setCaptive false.

Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
« Reply #16 on: 03 Jul 2018, 19:56:12 »
I should have kept playing...I could have beaten the entire Russian army and still be a captive  :D :whistle:

To have some more info on what could have messed it up - can you remember how you proceeded in the mission in terms of carrying guns in the open? Did you shoot someone before that situation or did you remain covert and drove up there as an innocent fellow citizen? :) Were you armed at all (gear in backpack, vest or uniform)?

Up until my encounter with the officer I never carried any weapons or even possessed any weapons. I suppose I was thinking of trying to do the mission without any weapons whatsoever. Also up until that point I never hit anybody with my car. I was just driving around exploring. But after a while I decided to test the mission's limits  :P What can I get away with, that sort of thing.

"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 03 Jul 2018, 21:17:52 »
Up until my encounter with the officer I never carried any weapons or even possessed any weapons. I suppose I was thinking of trying to do the mission without any weapons whatsoever. Also up until that point I never hit anybody with my car. I was just driving around exploring. But after a while I decided to test the mission's limits  :P What can I get away with, that sort of thing.

Ok, thanks for the info. Actually it's possible to complete 99% of the mission completely unarmed, even though it's really tough (especially with the hawk-eye AI). You would have to infiltrate or run into the medical camp and manage to get out of there alive (the main task of the mission). Well - I recommend you to take a gun with you to shoot your way out. :D

The remaining 1 % is one pistol bullet (at least) - you'll know what I mean when you get there.
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2018, 21:20:18 by Undeceived »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jul 2018, 21:25:01 »
Up until my encounter with the officer I never carried any weapons or even possessed any weapons.

Ehm... But you had your (and the guy's) equipment in the crate in the camp, didn't you??

EDIT:

And one more question: Were you driving that quad / another vehicle? Or did you approach the road check on foot?
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2018, 21:54:40 by Undeceived »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jul 2018, 21:54:23 »
Yes there were a couple of rifles in the crate but I didn't take them with me. What I meant was I didn't store any weapons in my vehicle until after I spoke with the officer.
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 03 Jul 2018, 21:57:56 »
And one more question: Were you driving that quad / another vehicle? Or did you approach the road check on foot?

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 03 Jul 2018, 22:00:50 »
No I was driving the quad bike, never used any other vehicle. If you want to know which quad bike, it was the one in the first village you come to (if I remember right).

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #22 on: 03 Jul 2018, 22:04:32 »
Very strange bug. I tested it, took the quad and passed the villages to Vybor, came into the road check and told my name and I was shot from all sides... :(

On the other hand no one reacted when I ran a soldier over earlier. :D WFT? :D
« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2018, 22:07:00 by Undeceived »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: 03 Jul 2018, 22:07:41 »
If I have some time later I can go back and try recreate the situation again and see what happens.

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 03 Jul 2018, 23:53:11 »
So I went back to have another play at the mission (it's quite addictive  :D ) and when I went up to Vybor I did get shot by the officer this time. I didn't do anything differently so it seems to be an intermittent bug.

After I reloaded I did the dialogue correctly and then proceeded to mow down any Russians between Vybor and our camp  :D I then went back to the fuel depot and I blew it up with an RPG.

I know I haven't been playing this mission exactly as it should be played but it is a lot of fun. If there had been a OFP version of this mission back in the day I'd have played it all the time. It's so simple yet really enjoyable. Not being able to run people over though will put a different spin on things for sure, but it is needed.

I haven't completed the mission obviously but it's really good. Good job  :good:

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #25 on: 04 Jul 2018, 11:21:24 »
Ok, I updated and uploaded it again with all of your feedback implemented, hopefully properly working.

Setting-Up-Time should work fine now (runnung over soldiers has consequences and when telling the true name in the road-check, the player should always be killed).

I know I haven't been playing this mission exactly as it should be played but it is a lot of fun. If there had been a OFP version of this mission back in the day I'd have played it all the time. It's so simple yet really enjoyable. Not being able to run people over though will put a different spin on things for sure, but it is needed.
Don't forget to keep your ears open and talk to people where possible. Maybe there is a bit more to see/do than the main task. ;)
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2018, 11:28:15 by Undeceived »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: 04 Jul 2018, 21:17:03 »
Alright so I went back to have another go at it. I may go back to the start of the campaign to see how it plays it out for now I'll carry on where I left off.

The changes were definately noticeable and the difficulty has increased for sure. There is no doubt that this is a great and interesting mission but my God the AI are good. Crazily good. I don't know what it is about these guys but they make Viper look like nothing. To even have a chance at these guys I have to turn the grass basically off and to turn the skill down to 0. Yet the result is the same. On my last playthrough I was being shot through trees, rocks you name it.

Generally I don't mind being shot; it's part of the game. But I'm not gonna lie, it does get frustrating when you're being headshot by an invisible enemy consistently. One time the second I fire an RPG I get headshot. Not even the second, an instant more like. It doesn't matter what strategy I employ, I always get shredded. I think I spent about an hour trying to kill the guys at the Pulkovo farm, but I never got closer than 200m.

So the experience feels like a real struggle and it eats away at the fun element. I'm not saying the mission should be jokingly easy but AI shouldn't be overpowered as they are now.

Anyway, Imma take a little break for now and maybe go back at it tomorrow. I don't want to have to use the cheat because then I wouldn't be doing my job. Rant over anyway  :D

The mission is great, but the AI are nuisance. But I don't know what you can do about it. I don't know if it's something that's built into the mod. I tell you what it reminds me of, it reminds me of the AI in ArmA 1...overpowered one minute and silly the next.
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2018, 21:18:40 by Gruntage »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #27 on: 04 Jul 2018, 23:14:35 »
Ok, that doesn't sound good. :D I think I have set every AI (in fact throughout the whole campaign) to the minimum skill (20) or close to that. On my end this results in quite balanced fights with the AI shooting a lot, but missing a lot too. Of course - there are exceptions. When I use an AT rocket, I instantly get killed as well (lots of retries here).

It could be that I forgot to tune down some squads. I'm gonna check that, especially Pulkovo farm. But if they are at 20 already, then hmm... no idea what I could do about it. :(

Thanks again, mate!
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2018, 08:27:50 by Undeceived »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #28 on: 06 Jul 2018, 07:08:43 »
Unfortunately I'm way waaay too busy to test this thing currently..
By the time I'm able to it's gonna be bug free, yay  :)
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #29 on: 06 Jul 2018, 08:19:48 »
Ok, thx for the info, I was rather surprised anyway, when you said you should probably test this. :D Good luck with your projects!