Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP/CAMP] Underdogs  (Read 11510 times)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
Re: [SP/CAMP] Underdogs
« Reply #30 on: 28 Mar 2017, 22:02:37 »
Ok, 10-15 times are way too many times too. :D I'll take a look at the cut scenes. An if()then{} check in combination with a variable (e.g. _thisCutsceneWasWatchedAlready) should hopefully do it. If I run into trouble I'll get back to you.

Thanks a lot, guys!
« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2017, 22:48:39 by Undeceived »
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #31 on: 01 Apr 2017, 00:31:42 »
Good to see you around Clayman.

Offline Clayman

• Members
    • Assault Mission Studio
« Reply #32 on: 01 Apr 2017, 11:04:11 »
Thanks.  :) Good to be back in the editing business.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #33 on: 07 Apr 2017, 11:27:08 »
Hello guys,

first of all thanks to all for the patience and time while testing the campaign.

The new version is in the first post.

Changes:

V. 1.2 (beta)
  • Completely renewed (massively expanded) the 4th mission (looking forward to see which solutions you'll find out :) Feedback needed here.)
  • The player can now adjust brightness in dark missions
  • Non-skippable cutscenes are now shorter when watching them again
  • Bugs eliminated, optimizations, blah blah, the works... :)

The last point includes some attention to the cutscenes, tuning down god-like AI a bit more and giving the player a bit more of time in critical situations (showdowns, etc.).

Hope it's playable by now...  :whistle:
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2017, 11:51:39 by Undeceived »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #34 on: 08 Apr 2017, 14:25:49 »
Just a side note, if playing on DEV -> CTD in the very first cutscene when the camera starts to move with the text about 2021 financial crisis still on the screen.. There were couple of split second freezes and then CTD.
I'm assuming some mod is not compatible with the DEV version or somesuch.. :dunno:

I usually launch the game on dev because it's on SSD and the stable is on insanely slow (way slower than regular) storage HDD...

Anyhoo, still have absolutely no interest to read the BIOs of the main characters, dunno why, somehow it just feels boring :dunno:

- Nice touch with the selfie as recon pic (was actually thinking of that when I suggested the pics)  :good:
- I have waypoints now, yay!
- In the cutscene where they watch the news about auto-elite in the last POV shot of the TV (behind someone's shoulder or something) the TV shows the news in German
- The shake killers task is now easily passed; still ran out blindly, and managed to box myself in into the neighbor's fenced yard but gladly they didn't follow me there, got killed though because foolishly ventured too close to the house when going for the next task -> seems the shortened cutscene thingy works, at least with the uncle stuff.
- In the same mission I can put on a police uniform but seems that the baddies still immediately recognize me. Dunno if anything can be done about this though. In the following cutscene I have the default clothes on again, but in the next mission (the police station) I again have the police uniform on.
- Police station went without a hickup.
- Well, other than I got wounded in the previous mission enough to require a medic (FAKing yourself doesn't make the guy stop moaning) so now I seem to be in need of FAK on the start of each following mission; was at the beginning of the police station mission and now on the beginning of Manos..

EDIT:
I'm assuming there's a bug in Manos because when I get the task to find Costa he's standing right next to me, he actually came back right after the shooting started, he just walked into the walled-in Manos' backyard from the broken wall opening in it and I thought he was a baddie first and shot him but he was unwoundable..

I did have to reload the save after Manos gets shot because got killed a bit later, maybe that breaks up something :dunno:

EDIT2:
If I go where Costa is supposed to be the escaped guy is there and the conversation with Costa still plays as normal.
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2017, 14:54:11 by h- »
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #35 on: 08 Apr 2017, 20:48:51 »
when I get the task to find Costa he's standing right next to me, he actually came back right after the shooting started

I added a stop true in the scripts now so he should stay at his waiting position in the next version.

Other than that I disabled taking over damage to the Manos mission as the guys had the whole day to rest and patch themselves up.

Thanks a lot, h-! :good:

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #36 on: 09 Apr 2017, 13:20:45 »
One thing I forgot to suggest for the 'shake killers' mission:
[spoiler]When you strangle WOLF 2 (IIRC) it might be worth forcing 3rd person view while the strangling is going on because it looks really bad in 1st person as the camera goes inside the baddie.. I'd assume this could be achieve with some of the anim related eventhandlers :dunno:
It'd be up to you if you see this worth the trouble, just my perfectionism speaking :P [/spoiler]

Anyhoo, back to the mission Manos:
- I'm a tad confused about how to save Manos now (getting to him, or out of his yard is really annoying now as you've blocked the hole in the wall from the previous version as the sniper can shoot in 100% accuracy in two second intervals.
I did some fiddling (because CBA allows the debug console while in-game) and got costa to stay at where should be so was able to get to what he wanted me to see (doStop didn't work, had to disableAI "Move"). The problem with this is though that I have two choices from which to choose and the choice B makes no sense because how can I claim to know what to do when I have not been revealed one single method to disadvantage the sniper? The smoke nades are nowhere to be found anymore apparently (unless they're in the car and completely missed them)? The tire idea Costa provides seems to be absolutely brain dead; how am I supposed to get to the ATV when it's directly in the sniper kill-zone when it's about 15% chance to make it alive to the house to begin with?  :dunno:

EDIT:
Been at this about a couple of hours now and I don't see any other way to save anybody unless doing a massive hike behind the sniper :dunno:
Also, costa is constantly injured for no apparent reason, whenever I go near the guy the 'treat' symbol appears ???

Oh, and there seems to be a waypoint created for you when you need to find costa? It doesn't disappear after you find him.

EDIT2:
Was finally able to finish this, it took me 5 tries this time to kill the final baddie.
Didn't experience any bugs in the final mission.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2017, 14:57:09 by h- »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #37 on: 09 Apr 2017, 16:50:47 »
Well, there are 6 (or depending how you count 7) ways to save Manos. The mission was heavily expanded (before the update there was only one way - the smoke grenades). Some of the solutions are absolutely easy, some require speed and skill. I thought that the player should look around and find them out, like what would work if this was reality, what could I use, what could I combine, be creative and so on (if there are more ideas I'm looking forward to read them!). I tried to not make the solutions too obvious, giving lots of hints, etc. That said, some are right in front of the players nose, one makes a noise, many of them have to be "thought to the end" by the player, some are even pretty elaborated little quests like in a RPG (e.g. the tire burning method and another (also smoke related) way).

The question now is: How can I make the player move through the area with an eye and ear and being open minded for all these possibilities? What I'd rather not want is to present him everything on a silver platter. Any input is appreciated. :good:

Killing the sniper and using the quad to ignite the tires and drive it to the right spot are just two if these methods.

Hm, you're right, the strangle animations sometimes are not synchronized. I'll see what I can do about it.

« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2017, 17:10:33 by Undeceived »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #38 on: 09 Apr 2017, 18:11:54 »
I was suspecting that there are several ways due to the added objects (and you mentioned you were planning on adding a few).
I tried approaching a couple of them but no actions or anything popped up, tried shooting at one or two which had no effect so gave up.

Besides, it's really annoying trying to do anything because 9.9 time out of 10 you just die (and after two reloads it gets really annoying that you have to wait all the god damn fades and crap to get to press the load button).
After the tire idea by Costa I couldn't even get behind the parked car on Manos' yard without dying so no way to get to the ATV or try to figure out something else around the building.

Also something weird happened several times: if I ran at full speed crouched too close to some object the player character could just suddenly stand up, I guess one more bug in BIS animation system or something.
Was annoying because it could mean a headshot from the supersniper.

How can I make the player move through the area with an eye and ear and being open minded for all these possibilities?
In Hitman (the old ones) the player's character would turn it's head to look at interesting things around it (if close enough). Of course it's a 3rd person view game so would not translate directly into this but maybe something similarish :dunno:

The character saying stuff like "Maybe I could use that..?" and such might be a bit too obvious.
It's a tough one.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #39 on: 09 Apr 2017, 18:48:44 »
For a start, I guess I'll tune down the sniper a bit. :)

Yeah, exactly - what else could I do than hinting with sentences (which I did in some places) and showing camera moves towards the objects? That's a really good question. :)

EDIT:

I tried approaching a couple of them but no actions or anything popped up, tried shooting at one or two which had no effect so gave up.

Can you elaborate a bit more on that?
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2017, 19:14:32 by Undeceived »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #40 on: 09 Apr 2017, 21:09:26 »
Can you elaborate a bit more on that?
Not sure if I remember even, it's a bit crazy to play two campaigns (one in A1), try to fix my own old mission(s) and code an eternity project mod of mine simultaneously (and work in a dayjob in two shifts) :P

I think the trashcan was not in the space between Manos' house and the white building right next to it in the earlier version so tried approaching and shooting at it (IIRC) and then there was the trash heap behind Manos' house that now had some weird stuff like I guess a american football or something, tried approaching it but got shot in the neck so then I tried shooting it to no avail. Can't remember if I tried anything else.

I did fiddle with all vehicles that I could without getting shot.

For a start, I guess I'll tune down the sniper a bit.
It creates a nice mood for the mission though so don't tune it down too much, just a hair.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #41 on: 11 Apr 2017, 20:26:56 »
Anyone else wants to add something? Otherwise I'd soon release the next version in BIF, SW, etc. Of course any other feedback is much welcomed later too!

Again, thanks a lot for testing! This is what beta phase means to me. I want to release it publicly as stable and developed as possible. Don't like it when missions are still in beta status and unfinished open to everyone. This is why OFPEC is and always was a goldmine for me. Serious and committed beta testing. :)
Many thanks to the master of suffering h-  :weeping: :D and Clayman at assaultmissionstudio.de too!

h-, some final questions:

[spoiler]Which campaign end did you play?

Is that crash in the intro cutscene reproducible?

And on that question how to make the player move around with open eyes in Manos: I added this to the briefing a bit more when the "Save Manos" task appears. Hopefully it makes the player more aware and conscious on his surroundings. I'll see what happens. If dozens of player ask what to do in this mission I know I should change something. :D [/spoiler]

EDIT:

And (most important):

How was the adjustable brightness? Really need some feedback on that.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2017, 21:13:34 by Undeceived »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #42 on: 11 Apr 2017, 21:45:38 »
The adjustable brightness worked well.
It was maybe a bit cumbersome to use because it was behind so many 'steps', but that's the menu system.
As it resets on each mission maybe add an option to 'restore' previous setting so you can have the same brightness setting easily :dunno:

[spoiler]
Which campaign end did you play?
The one in which you kill the killer guy at the marina.
What choice affects that? The one after the eaves dropping?
[/spoiler]

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #43 on: 11 Apr 2017, 21:49:07 »
Good idea. Will implement the latest brightness setting into the inits of the mission.
Up to now I only loaded them in intro/outro cutscenes where the player can't set anything.

[spoiler]Yes. If you choose to catch Venizelos or if you are detected then this is the way to the other endings.[/spoiler]

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #44 on: 21 Apr 2017, 10:47:31 »
Meanwhile I released a new version (v. 1.4) on SW and BIF. I'll update the first post soon (I'm at work atm), just wanted to make sure no one takes a look at v. 1.2.

EDIT:

Ok, first post is up to date now.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2017, 19:57:24 by Undeceived »