Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.3 Final  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • How do I get outta this chickensh*t outfit?
Re: [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.3 Final
« Reply #30 on: 23 Nov 2023, 23:52:13 »
Hey everyone,

So the mission has had a few changes made to it to get it ready for reviewing. I hope that in making said changes I haven't broken anything  ::) . I've given the mission a few tests and checked a few new features and they seem to be working properly. The changes are outlined below and in the changelog:

- Generator shutoff mechanic simplified and fixed...shouldn't trigger the alarm when used. I never found out why the alarm was triggering and likely will never know. This change to the mechanic has not resulted in any alarm being triggered as a result, so it should be fine. If not........well, we'll cross that bridge if we come to it  :whistle:

- There are now consequences for shooting out lights in the base. If enemies are close to any lamps being shot at, they will respond and the alarm be raised. This was a better alternative than simply making lights indestructible.

-The briefing detail concerning enemy night vision equipment has been clarified

-Detonation range corrected from 600m to 300m

- Claymore, AT Mines, APERS Mines, APERS Bounding Mines, Tripwire Mines and SLAM Mines added to 'FIRED' exception
  list; allowing the player to place these without the alarm being triggered upon placement. Should make for some
  interesting gameplay choices.

- Nearly all empty vehicles have been locked for player use

- Enemy MARID waypoints synced to prevent queuing

- Minor adjustments made to briefing concerning friendly attacks on the airfield

- Updates to BETA testers

-Minor adjustments to intro cinematic for better timings and fadeouts

- Task location for the 'Destroy AA' task has been fixed (by using modules rather than scripting commands)

- Adjustment to one enemy patrol group location. The group was previously patrolling along a dirt path and
 occcasionally would get run over by an APC; triggering the body detection and subsequently the alarm. The group has
 been moved away from the road to prevent this from happening.

- Slight increase to patrol count outside the airfield

- Leaders of enemy patrol groups outside the airfield have been given night vision goggles to increase threat and
 difficulty. Testing by myself has not resulted in a huge surge in difficulty, but this can be amended if others find it too
 punishing
- Addition of tower sentry in Al Mahbes village
- Addition of additional patrol group between Al Mahbes village and airfield.

Those last two changes have increased the difficulty of the civilian insertion quite considerably; the player now has to think about their movement and position more than before. This change wasn't arbitrary though; it would make sense for there to be an enemy presence in the village and the tower to be utilised as a vantage point. I am willing to revert those last two changes though if people think the result is too punishing.

So that should be it; ready for review. That is, of course, unless something comes up. I don't want to release an unfinished product so if anything breaks or doesn't work as it should, then please let me know so I can attempt a fix. SBG you may now proceed :D

This hasn't been an easy mission to make despite it being a relatively simple mission in structure. I'm glad that I've managed to get it into a state that I'm happy with. When making missions I always want to create something for others to enjoy, and from what I've seen already, people do seem to like this one. That means I've achieved what I wanted to achieve.

Hopefully now I can take a break from editing and get on with having fun testing other people's projects; I see myself as a far better beta tester than editor  :D .

Thank you very much everyone for your time testing. This mission is in a much better state now because of the time you have invested.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2023, 00:09:35 by Gruntage »
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #31 on: 26 Nov 2023, 03:20:04 »
I do have a couple more mentions that are fine if left alone but you may choose to make changes. They are very minor.
At the FOB, an angry commander is pointing his pistol out across at the gates from atop the roof of a mobile barrack. It was quite comical actually.

You have locked every structure in the FOB with the exception of the one next to the ammo crates and the one next to the union jack flag. Also, no big deal.

The action to disable power remains in the players menu until the animation plays through. Again, no big deal but if the player decides to toy with it, they can activate it three additional times before it is removed. Which also, is quite comical when you get the same message about them restoring power three times in a row.
I see in the script where you removed it before even the animation begins, so since its not breaking anything, its likely okay to just leave it alone.

You are a scoundrel for taking away my light plinking. Nah just kidding. It certainly feels more secured now. Before, I had the entire area in the dark with no one reacting and that was immersion breaking, especially when they reacted to an open door in the dark.  :D

Having the Anti personal mines made the mission that much better. Thanks for adding those to the script. It was a freaking blast setting those behind me as I moved about.

I did notice the fields much more difficult. I'm just glad no one heard me cursing and smashing the table after thinking that a night blind AI who was aiming at unseen planes above could suddenly head shot me with only a twitch reaction. I was furious until, after the 5th reload, I was able to take him out and discovered that he had NVG. Another good and logical addition.

I played through the truck insertion again and having more units busy in the village was certainly an improvement. I did not find it more difficult, just more engaging and thus immersive.

Let me know if you plan to make any of these changes. If not, I should have the review posted later this morning.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2023, 07:18:33 by savedbygrace »

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: 26 Nov 2023, 08:07:54 »
Hi SBG,

Thanks very much your comments. I will have a quick tinker with the mission again as they shouldn't be difficult to fix. I'll let you know when the new version is uploaded.

EDIT: I'm not sure why, but all of the animations in the FOB and the airfield have been disabled. They were put in using the very handy addon Eden Enhanced but that doesn't require people to have it installed in order to play. In any case, I'll put the animations back in and hopefully that will work. I think they got removed because I recently saved the mission without eden enhanced accidentally. At least now you'll get to see the units as they should be.

EDIT2: All changes implemented and everything should be fine now!

- Generator shutoff action should no longer appear during the shutoff animation (was just a simple case of moving a line of code)
- AI animations restored (they were accidentally removed when I saved the mission without 3DEN Enhanced)
- Minor adjustments to FOB buildings to ensure all are locked

Thanks,
Gruntage
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2023, 09:40:30 by Gruntage »
"But one thing I can tell you from not just OFP but life in general:  criticism is directly proportional to quality. The more criticism a mission receives, the better the outcome" - macguba

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #33 on: 26 Nov 2023, 23:14:16 »
The review is complete, but I'm having problems getting the file uploaded to the site at the moment. I can't save the review without a file to attach to it. Will update when its published.

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: 26 Nov 2023, 23:17:10 »
Alright, no worries man. Thanks for the update!

Offline Gruntage

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
Re: (Review Completed) [SP/A3] BOBCAT v1.3 Final
« Reply #35 on: 03 Dec 2023, 20:10:22 »
This mission has been reviewed and is now available from the Missions Depot
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2024, 16:42:57 by Gruntage »