Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "Battle Royale" MP level  (Read 23489 times)

djackl

Re:"Battle Royale" MP level
« Reply #120 on: 13 Sep 2004, 19:50:34 »
well, with veteran games on servers you can't usually see stuff on the map anyway can you? I know that on some CTI matches you have the option to build a radar which labels stuff with dots on the map, but I'm not sure.

Offline Skumball

• Members
« Reply #121 on: 13 Sep 2004, 22:47:17 »
Yeah. I think that regulars would get used to which one to pick for the good weapons. I'm all for choosing either boy or girl and then you get a character picked for you. But I think the weapons, if possible, should be random.

For me there is no question as to whether the weapons are random or not. They should definately be random. That's what makes BR all the more interesting (?) for those involved. Imagine playing a number of games and knowing which character has which weapon... how boring would that become? I want to start a game of BR and go; "s***, a fork" or "woo, a gun" :)

Cool.  Do you get what I mean with the recording certain parts of the film?

Oui. I shall look into it.

One more thing. The GPS which is with OFP is there for all players. Is there a way to make it so that it is only for one player and not the others? (Obviously, that would be the whole point of having a GPS as a weapon)

To make the GPS a little fairer, how about randomly picking an enemy, and displaying on screen there distance and direction? Then after a few minutes, another enemy is picked at random and their pos and dir come up on screen? Otherwise the GPS would be a GODLIKE weapon.

But also, how would players with helpful objects actually attack? There should be a standard punch attack for those without offensive weapons. Those with, say, a fork would have a similar method of attacking but be more powerful. Those with guns, well, they can feel smart :)

djackl

« Reply #122 on: 13 Sep 2004, 23:08:48 »
Or you could have something like in Devilchaser's 'Operation Firelord' where the GPS beeps increase when an enemy gets closer and closer to you and when its solid, u kno ur screwed!!

Lean Bear

« Reply #123 on: 14 Sep 2004, 17:36:01 »
Or you could have something like in Devilchaser's 'Operation Firelord' where the GPS beeps increase when an enemy gets closer and closer to you and when its solid, u kno ur screwed!!

Hey, that's a cool idea! Do ya know where I can get that mission? I'll de-PBO it and find out "what makes it tick" ;D

For me there is no question as to whether the weapons are random or not. They should definately be random. That's what makes BR all the more interesting (?) for those involved. Imagine playing a number of games and knowing which character has which weapon... how boring would that become? I want to start a game of BR and go; "s***, a fork" or "woo, a gun"

I agree wholehartedly ;)

To make the GPS a little fairer, how about randomly picking an enemy, and displaying on screen there distance and direction? Then after a few minutes, another enemy is picked at random and their pos and dir come up on screen? Otherwise the GPS would be a GODLIKE weapon.

With the GPS, yeah it's a godlike "weapon" - hmm more of an utility ;)

The whole point of the GPS is just that. It tells you where everone is BUT you can't really kill people with it. Also from the film when Hiroki Sugimura is using it, the locations of people show up even if they're dead (it reads of the electronic signal from the collars or something). So you would have to be catious when using it. Anyway, you can't really kill people with it!!! Its more of a defensive weapon then an offensive weapon.

Which brings me to my next point:-

But also, how would players with helpful objects actually attack? There should be a standard punch attack for those without offensive weapons. Those with, say, a fork would have a similar method of attacking but be more powerful. Those with guns, well, they can feel smart  

In the demo mission which didn't work for no-one I added the weapon "Strokefist" to their init feilds. Its a crappy animation and takes too long so I will make anoter. I can make a kick if you want as well?

Offline Skumball

• Members
« Reply #124 on: 14 Sep 2004, 19:46:45 »
A punch and a kick would be cool. Can they be easily binded to a mouse click? Say you choose punch or kick same way as you change from auto to single to grenades, then click to activate?

Lean Bear

« Reply #125 on: 14 Sep 2004, 19:49:00 »
Yeah. The config is super easy too. Its getting the anims to OFP that's the problem. ;)

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #126 on: 14 Sep 2004, 21:13:17 »
Not really got time to read the last few pages of stuff I've missed, but..
To get the audio from the DVD, have a look at www.doom9.net
Cya
- Ben

Offline Skumball

• Members
« Reply #127 on: 14 Sep 2004, 21:42:39 »
Yeah. The config is super easy too. Its getting the anims to OFP that's the problem.

Splendid

*rubs hands together and cackles*

I'll next work on the army base and think up ways of overthrowing them.

To get the audio from the DVD, have a look at

Nice.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2004, 21:44:42 by Skumball »

Lean Bear

« Reply #128 on: 16 Sep 2004, 21:40:31 »
Little idea here:

Has anyone heard of a game still in development called "Cold Winter" //or something like that.

There is a function that alows you to collect bits and bobs (like bottles, matches, fabric) - in fact, collect the said, put them all together and what've you got? One molotov ready for use! ;)

I was thinking maybe we could have something like that implemented in the mod.

djackl

« Reply #129 on: 17 Sep 2004, 08:38:19 »
i aint seen it can u post a link?

Lean Bear

« Reply #130 on: 18 Sep 2004, 18:06:05 »
Sure.

www.coldwinter.com is the most obvious I guess...

Not much on it about the feature I was talking aout though. So I might end up posting a few links for more feature friendly stuff. ;)

Big post coming soon (actually I guess it will be loads a little ones) of all the work I've done from my list so far.

I've been having trouble with the textures. I checked out the BIS ones but the res on the is amazing. The pics I've been using to model them weapons are really low quality (about 50 pixels - no joke!!). But I will look around and see what I can do.

DEAD RABBIT

« Reply #131 on: 20 Sep 2004, 00:22:08 »
Just here to say how much I admire this initiative. It sounds like this mod is gonna kick ass  ;D

I have seen Battle Royal and even BR 2 in japanese without subtitles (which is not so good as BR 1 even though I didn't knew anything about what they said or was going one), but anyway, the thing I liked so much about BR (except from the random weapons and silly evil sadistic events) were the characters and character designs.
You just knew who was evil, semi evil, scared like shit, wise guys, hero types, smart & experienced, idiots, unexperienced dickheads and air head girls.
Maybe this is something the MOD should charictarize with. Like you fill in a question list and based on the awnsers you will become this character. In the mission editor this isn't very hard, you just activate the group respawn option and based on the awnsers you add the type of character to it's group and kill the original, thus making the player to respawn as his character. For character design, each person should be modelled and textured (etc) and given special abilities and incapabilities.

Like panicery schoolgirls can't use a crossbow or a Uzi, they use other honest players to survive and use their weapon (poison/pan) to kill whoever trusts her.
Damn, just had another great idea, the whole concept of BR 1 is survivle of the fittest and it's exactly that the survivle aspect needs to be strenghtend. Like, with food. Each player needs to eat and drink or else he/she will die or hunger or doesn't get enough energy to move around or fight.

Lol, just some random ideas I got spurring in my mind, I just love Japanese cinema and animation, so innovative so realistic. Just seeing my own class being dropped off in the middle of nowhere with random weapons like a thee spoon and my mentor killed by a forced sadistic teacher........... just makes me laugh about live itself.

Lean Bear

« Reply #132 on: 20 Sep 2004, 18:48:20 »
Just here to say how much I admire this initiative. It sounds like this mod is gonna kick ass  
;)

Maybe this is something the MOD should charictarize with. Like you fill in a question list and based on the awnsers you will become this character. In the mission editor this isn't very hard, you just activate the group respawn option and based on the awnsers you add the type of character to it's group and kill the original, thus making the player to respawn as his character. For character design, each person should be modelled and textured (etc) and given special abilities and incapabilities.

Ummm, OK. How would you stop the same character being picked more than once? What if someone worked out the specific answers to always get someone with the best special abilities. This mod wasn't really created for a RPG like mission although we could make a seperate one for it, it would just take more time.

Like panicery schoolgirls can't use a crossbow or a Uzi, they use other honest players to survive and use their weapon (poison/pan) to kill whoever trusts her.

Hmmm, remember Satomi from BR (she was with the goody-goody girls' lighthouse crew). Well, she flipped and started blasting everyone with an uzi.

d**n, just had another great idea, the whole concept of BR 1 is survivle of the fittest and it's exactly that the survivle aspect needs to be strenghtend. Like, with food. Each player needs to eat and drink or else he/she will die or hunger or doesn't get enough energy to move around or fight.

Perhaps you have't had enough time to read through all nine (yeah NINE!!! ;D) pages of this topic, but the food/stamina idea has been under developement for a while. ;)

While I'm here, following (in the usual order you've come to expect) are some of the latest pics from the Weapons department. ;)

This one is the BR Ice Pick.

Lean Bear

« Reply #133 on: 20 Sep 2004, 18:54:48 »
And now the Ice Pick in the gear screen.

Lean Bear

« Reply #134 on: 20 Sep 2004, 18:59:51 »
Here is the Jacknife (ie. a flicknife).

Incidentaly, doe anyone know how I can get it to flick open. Cause at the moment its still one solid chunk. Can I make two or something?