Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "Battle Royale" MP level  (Read 23761 times)

Lean Bear

Re:"Battle Royale" MP level
« Reply #150 on: 28 Sep 2004, 17:22:51 »
@ Planck

OK. I'll try and use as many BIS textures as possible.

News From The Animations Department

Great news everyone. Over at the 3D modelling section of the forums I posted a couple of topics about OFPAnim. On the second one I did: Converting anims to OFP; General Barron said he would do a tut about it. But, I talked to him the other day and he said that it was slow progress (its not the easiest thing to do) and that he kept getting stuck. Foutunately, it wasn't hard for him to practically take me through, step-by-step showing me how to make my custom anims appear in OFP. It Works!

So, pictures from OFP showing them soon. Also, I know I've been saying for the last few posts that I would post some pics of the island, but they are way too big. So, I've decided to put them on my site and you can see them in full glory there.

(Finally we're making major progress :))

edit
One more thing. As much as I try, I just can't get the textures for the weapons looking good enough. So I think we are need of a really good texturer. Since (unless we got lucky and someone saw this thread) we would probably have to advertise for it, I was thinking we could send loads of stuff to ofp.info or another site like that, cause I know that people would see what we're doing there. What do you think?
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2004, 17:26:40 by Lean Bear »

djackl

« Reply #151 on: 28 Sep 2004, 17:53:15 »
First of all im wondering where the pictures are on your website..... ???

Lean Bear

« Reply #152 on: 29 Sep 2004, 19:01:57 »
Unfortunately, due to "technical difficulties" (my comp not opening links) I havn't been able to put them up.

The config for my test anim didn't work, so I am gonna ask around and see if someone can help me.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #153 on: 03 Oct 2004, 23:03:02 »
I can help ya with the config
Next time I see ya on msn I'll help

I'm on holidays for the next 2 weeks, so I'll be on msn at random times, but more often :P
- Ben

Lean Bear

« Reply #154 on: 05 Oct 2004, 12:16:54 »
Hey thanks, but I licked it right before I went on holiday over the weekend.

If anyone can help, the new problem is that when I open the Axe model in OFP it is un-textured even though it is textured; you can see proof from the pics I posted a while ago. That is currently (I'm happy to say) the only problem with it :)

Lean Bear

« Reply #155 on: 10 Oct 2004, 12:34:18 »
Just thought I'd let you know; we are now officially a "mod" and have a registered tag on OFPEC. (BRMod). Any problemoes, just tell me and I'll change it for you.

Also, the recuitment notices for jobs to with our mod still hasn't been submitted. So there could be a delay before any work starts on the player models. :P

Matt Walter

« Reply #156 on: 10 Oct 2004, 23:07:49 »
Hey all. I have just came up with a great idea which would make the game not just a deathmatch. You know how in the characters in the movie (and the book) have people they really care about and people they really hate. Well I have an idea how to fit it in the game. Somehow, you could make it so everyone has a "bonds list" between eachother and a "hit lists" (which both could be viewed in the map-brefing screen).
     A bond list would be a list of players who have a bond--meaning if anyone on the list is killed, something happens (like your breaking point meter starts to fill up and after so much people die that were on your bond list, you turn into a cold blooded killer, or something). Some characters would have preset bond lists (like the two main characters) You could also add people to your bond list (but not take off). Why would you do that you might ask ...it would be a trust agreement you could have between characters so team play could work and you could trust people. It could be an option to make a bond if you are close to a player and select the option as though getting in a tank. The character asked my say yes or no.
     A hit list, as a bond, might be preset with sertin characters. Someone can be put on a hit list for betraing you, killing someone on you bond list. If you kill someone on your hit list, you breaking point meter lessens. Some people could lessen you metter more ten others, depending on what they did.
     If you turn into a cold blooded killer, you can not have any bonds, all you do is want to kill. That one dude ...I forget his name again... would be preset to a cold blooded killer. Maybe cold blooded killers' weapons are stronger, or they can hold more weapons, or something that makes them better in combat.
     I think this would add a really cool feel to the game. Could it be done? If it would, it would make the mod 10 times cooler. ;)

PS: maybe a better name instead of "bond list" would be "friend list" would work better. And if I wasn't clear enough on something, tell me to explain it better and I will.  ;)

djackl

« Reply #157 on: 10 Oct 2004, 23:43:05 »
i'm not sure if that would work because from the outset we seemed to be going to make it free-form so you could 'be who you want to be' rather than have everything chosen for you - effectively deciding the winner of the game before it has started. However i can see some potential for a friends list/breaking point, though i dont kno how you could force a player to become a cold-blooded killer.

Matt Walter

« Reply #158 on: 11 Oct 2004, 02:01:24 »
I don't know about the cold blooded killer anymore, maybe just if you breaking point meter fills you kill your self... it sounds better then the cold blooded killer idea I had.  ;)

Lean Bear

« Reply #159 on: 11 Oct 2004, 18:21:43 »
I don't know about the cold blooded killer anymore, maybe just if you breaking point meter fills you kill your self...

Yeah, cause then the cold-blooded killer would kill himself straight away ;)

I think its a great idea actually. I know as djackl says, we've been going down the "be-who-you-want-to-be" road for almost the outset. But I suggest a compromise: make two missions, one for the frag-a-holics and people who want the free-form type game and the other mission would be for the gamers who like rpg's and could implement rpg elements where you chose a role and as DEAD RABBIT said a while ago, pick a category as supposed to a specific character (then your character would be chosen for you, from an array or something), so there is a bit of randomness.

But I do like the idea of friends and enemies lists. I could see how the tenision would build in-game, when you ask another player if they want to be your friend - then the pause - then he/she wips out an uzi and blows you to peices, or says yes ;)

That one dude ...I forget his name again...

Kazuo Kiriyama  ;)

I'm releasing my first "official" mod soon (a fishing rod and accompning fish - for CessenaFun!) and I was thinking that it could be used in the mod to replenish your health meter when you can't find anymore rations or water on the island. Obviously, it could be more like a stick with string instead of a proper rod. Which could be made using my previous idea of collecting items and using them to build things (ie. a twig and some rope soon become a supply of food; when used correctly  ;))

Lean Bear

« Reply #160 on: 12 Oct 2004, 18:36:13 »
I think this would add a really cool feel to the game. Could it be done? If it would, it would make the mod 10 times cooler.

Yes, I think it wouldn't be too hard to do. In principal its quite simple really. Two arrays for each player (one for friends, one for enemies) which, using the addaction command, could be added to or removed from. I think its not such a great idea having it so there is no option to undo putting someone onto your friends list (if you did it by mistake), however, if there was a penalty for removing someone from your list--even by accident--like something happening to the breaking point meter (would it be better to have it start from nothing, empty, and increase as more things happen?--instead of decrease), then that would be OK. After someone from your list died, then it would increase/decrease--whichever's worst.

One thing which I think will be much harder to script, is what would happen if your friends (on the list) betrayed you. I don't know how easy that would be to script, if at all. :-\

Lean Bear

« Reply #161 on: 17 Oct 2004, 11:43:41 »
Just in case anyone was wondering. Skumball is still working on the mission and will submit something when he feels a significant improvement has been made.

Lean Bear

« Reply #162 on: 22 Oct 2004, 19:49:40 »
I made a temporary website for the BR Mod. (For downloads etc.)

Battle Royale Mod Site

Also, I've finally posted more pics of the island on my site.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2004, 19:52:11 by Lean Bear »

AnarCHy

« Reply #163 on: 11 Nov 2004, 15:43:52 »
hope you guys dont mind me reviving this semi-lost topic, and dont ind this is my first post but......

a while ago a map got uploaded on my server caled [OYC]RealTournament, its not what you are talking about like little people or a new island like environment, but its worth checking out.  its got great visuals and it is a lot like battle royal (but with large people)

goes like this:
 - up to 20 players, but its always fun to watch AI battle
 - beginning of mission: battlers get ready as the spectators (the ones not fighting there match) place bets on them.
 - 6 (i think...) different arenas
 - match start: battlers buy weapons with cash from start of game and/or from bet money
 - whichever person wins advances to next round, its like a tennis championship :P

sorry if this was brought up before but i could read through all of the topic, my internet's been down and i cant get on nearly as often as I used to  :'(

djackl

« Reply #164 on: 11 Nov 2004, 19:13:40 »
Too late :D, I mentioned OYC Real Tournament a while ago. The difference between OYC RT and what Lean Bear wanted is that Battle Royale is meant to have a lot of people in, OYC RT is just 1vs1, so I dont think it can be used as a template.

I'm unsure about how the project is progressing, I'll ask Lean Bear if I see him online.