Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Ideas for Rent  (Read 15415 times)

8 Ball

Re:Ideas for Rent
« Reply #30 on: 22 Jan 2004, 12:06:16 »
 The ranger addon is alot smaller then the Marine Pack, so if you want to make this mission using smaller addons, you should use Rangers. The addonles version is a good idea. But it might take away some of the atmosphere of the mission

Edit : I finished a delete bodies script, if you haven't found one yet ;)
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2004, 12:10:00 by 8Ball »

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #31 on: 22 Jan 2004, 12:27:58 »
But it would also give people who don't want to sit downloading for ages a chance to play the mission. I think we should mainly stick with BAS addons, definately the MH-60k, I think that helo would look great doing a "hot evac".

8 Ball

« Reply #32 on: 22 Jan 2004, 12:37:17 »
I agree. We should stick with the BAS Blackhawk,it is such a suberb addon and would look good in game. Now you have to decide what infantry to use.Either Marine Pack or Rangers. The Marine pack has more units, and I think is more suited to this mission. But its a big file (almost 40 mb). People using 56k will have a hard time downloading it.
BAS Rangers are much smaller, but I don't think they fit the mission type.

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #33 on: 22 Jan 2004, 12:44:11 »
If we're using the BAS Blackhawks with the 160th we'd be better off using Rangers, just for a bit of realism. I think they'd suite quite well and having to download TONAL already... the extra 40mb for the Marine Pack is a bad idea. Most people have the Ranger pack anyway. I think the MH47 would be good for the insertion and the MH-60K would suite extraction, maybe a roof top extraction using the rope ladder.

8 Ball

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jan 2004, 12:51:22 »
You're probably right, must people already have the Ranger addon. And 40 mb is alot. But the MH47 is not needed.People already have the Black Hawk addon, and I don't think it would add anything to the mission. The Blackhawk can be used for that. And once again, too many addons turns people off.

But is Tonal is going to be used??? If thats the case, I cant help you guys. I have 56K, and I don't want to download over 100 MB. It would take me like 10 hours. I'm not willing to take that much time to download Tonal.

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #35 on: 22 Jan 2004, 13:04:31 »
Download a program like D/L Express, i downloaded a 40mb file with that, on 59k in about 40mins to an hour. It would only take acouple of hours to download TONAL, and from what I've heard it's worth it. Although it's another one i aint got, but im gonna d/l it in the weekend.

8 Ball

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jan 2004, 13:08:48 »
Ok, I'll get it and download Tonal. Thanks for the info! (I wish I had known about this earlier!)

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #37 on: 22 Jan 2004, 17:14:33 »
Welcome aboard 8Ball ;D

About the Ranger pack - I think we could save some time and aggravation by doing two things.  First, we make all the American units appearing in the mission Rangers.  Second, we reduce the size of the force you start off with and set up your initial mission as a raid or something.  That will also reduce the number of loons and make things more managable.

It would make a little more sense to use the MH47 if it was a platoon-sized raid on a supply dump or something, so that's how we can set it up.

Then, whenever you make contact with the offshore units, another Ranger team swoops in with BAS Blackhawks to get you out of there.

Thus we would use only one addon and fewer units.  What do you think of that?

Now, about Tonal...I'd like to keep this mission in the jungle setting - only some of Tonal is tropical.  Do you guys think that's going to be a problem with players possibly wandering into the desert?

And finally, for the download-challenged, I think we could make an addon-free version but I doubt it's going to be the same experience.

Homefry31464

« Reply #38 on: 22 Jan 2004, 17:47:00 »
Yeah, the Official Army units don't play a large role in the mission, except if you make them, so requiring a 20 meg or so addon just for them may be excessive.  Then again, I think nearly everyone has them by now.  As for the F/A-18's, we should decide how important the airstrikes will be.  

If their duration is sustained, then we could decide to use them.  If they are used once or twice, and once in a cutscene, they aren't too incrediabally valuable.  

EDIT: I didn't realize there were two pages.  ;D  So I suppose all the units could be Marines.  The only thing you have to consider is the fact that I think everyone has all the BAS units.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2004, 19:38:31 by Homefry »

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #39 on: 22 Jan 2004, 20:53:52 »
I think it would be a better idea if we dropped the Marines entirely and went with all BAS Rangers.

That would satisfy the grunt-chopper compatibility and mean one less addon for people to have.

Now about the Hornets....I don't think air strikes work very well on infantrymen, unfortunately...I was thinking they could come in with iron bombs but the AI will probably refuse to cooperate.

Perhaps sticking with Apaches or Cobras for air cover would be better ???

Homefry31464

« Reply #40 on: 22 Jan 2004, 21:44:54 »
I don't know man, those F/A-18's rolling in would look mighty fine.  I'm sure it could be done with a small amount of scripting (I'll make a topic).  We could have helo's too.  Oh man, more ideas!!

Okay, another mission option.  The more we include, the more there can be.

A F/A-18 is moving in to provide support, when all of a sudden, a missile strikes his plane and he has to eject.  You have to try to make it to the pilot before he get killed or captured.  

Guys, I hope your good mission makers, there are a heck of a lot of ideas!!  ;)

Homefry31464

« Reply #41 on: 23 Jan 2004, 01:30:59 »
Okay, I think I figured out a way we can use the F/A-18 to gove us air support.  We just need to figure out the F/A-18's name, instead of "A10LGB".  Then we run this script, which I convinently found in the editor's depot (by Skumball):

Code: [Select]
;Airstrike (map click) v1.2
;by Skumball (simongoddard4@yahoo.co.uk)
;
;Thanks to Viriato for making the bombs fall correctly and LCD for incorporating the script into the radio
;
;Requires:
;OFP v1.85
;1 Pilot named "strikePilot"
;3 Markers ("spawn","safe","target" all set to 'empty')
;1 Trigger (Activation: Radio Alpha, Repeatedly. Text: Air Strike. On Activation: onMapSingleClick {[_pos] exec "airstrike.sqs"}; strikePilot sideChat "Give me a target")
;
;Have a look at the sample mission to see how it works
;Change the value of _num, *0.2 and ~0.2 for different results

onMapSingleClick {}
1 setRadioMsg "Null"

_pos = _this select 0

"target" setMarkerPos _pos
"target" setMarkerType "destroy"

strikePlane = "A10LGB" camCreate (getMarkerPos "spawn")
strikePlane setPos [(getPos strikePlane select 0),(getPos strikePlane select 1),(getPos strikePlane select 2)+800]
strikePlane setDir 180

strikePilot assignAsDriver strikePlane
strikePilot moveInDriver strikePlane
strikePilot doMove _pos
strikePilot sideChat "On the way"

@ unitReady strikePilot
strikePilot sideChat "Target aquired"

_num = 4
_i = 0

#loop
_bomb = "laserGuidedBomb" camCreate [(getPos strikePlane select 0)+((random 10)-5),(getPos strikePlane select 1)+((random 10)-5),(getPos strikePlane select 2)-3]
_bomb setDir (getDir strikePlane)
_bomb setVelocity [(velocity strikePlane select 0)*0.2,(velocity strikePlane select 1)*0.2,(velocity strikePlane select 2)*0.2]
_i = _i + 1
~0.2
? _i < _num : goto "loop"

strikePilot doMove (getMarkerPos "spawn")
strikePilot sideChat "Heading back"

"target" setMarkerType "empty"

@ unitReady strikePilot
deleteVehicle strikePlane
strikePilot setVelocity [0,0,0]
strikePilot setPos (getMarkerPos "safe")
strikePilot sideChat "Ready"

1 setRadioMsg "Air Strike"

exit

I think that would work for us.  Only thing is we need to figure out a way that only allows the player to call that in again after a certain amount of time had passed.

EDIT:  I think I solved that problem.  Where it say's "1 setRadioMsg "Air Strike", put a ~50 (or however many seconds we would need), then it has to wait before the radio message is available again.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2004, 01:35:00 by Homefry »

OrangeLeader

« Reply #42 on: 23 Jan 2004, 01:55:20 »
About not ussng to many addons. Why don't you make two versions: Full and light. This benefits everyone. Some people don't want to download so many addons and other may have computers that cannot handle all the addons. All you would have to do is switch rebels to resistance, BAS Rangers to BIS US soldiers, etc. This would make everyone happy. I for instance don't mind addons as long as they can be found. I hope any addons will be bundled with or be an extra download for the mission. To me the more addons the better the game play as long as they are good quality.

In relation to which addons to use or not use, I think we need to figure out the basic story line first. Because the addons you choose are directly related to the story. I had an idea about on possible escape, by making it to a Marine bas that may or may not be occupied. Others talked about "running" into US SF advisors. Which ideas are we keeping and which are we leaving. I personally want to see planes(F-18) launch from an aircraft carrier.

I had an idea if we wanted to add urban combat. How about an option of heading to a large city that has a US Embassy/Consult that is guarded by Marines. Again it would be random if the embassy was evacuated or not.

About the island to choose that is a difficult question. If we use existing islands especially, most people well probably know the map pretty well. This makes the game some what less exciting(i.e. knowing the best places to defend or the best places for ambushes.) Using a lesser know map would solve this but the map would probably not be such good quality. Final salution someone volunteers to make a new map. Any one interested.

Homefry31464

« Reply #43 on: 23 Jan 2004, 02:06:50 »
Some good idea's there.  I don't think we can launch F/A-18's from a carrier at this point, as a quality carrier doesn't exist, especially a Nimitz Class.  

Your idea about different versions, sounds pretty good.  

8 Ball

« Reply #44 on: 23 Jan 2004, 02:29:09 »
I agree with Homefry, we should scrap the idea about the Marine Pack. It's way to big and the rangers are a good alternative.  

The F/18's are a good idea. Adds that element of air support. I also like the idea of the guy ejecting and you having to find him. Maybe if you find him alive, you get some sort of reward for helping him. And if he gets captured,maybe some sort of consequence will accur, or maybe nothing will happen. We'll have to think about that.

The urban setting is a good one. You could probably use regular BIS units instead of Marines.

I still think the MH47's are not needed. Even though mostly everbody has them, they won't add much to the mission.

The Full and lite version thingy is also good. But I think we should focus on getting most of the ideas down and in game before anything else.