Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: 'Revolution' Campaign Idea  (Read 11489 times)

m21man

Re:'Revolution' Campaign Idea
« Reply #60 on: 02 Oct 2003, 16:02:08 »
Of course the LST will be guarded (There's a U.S. destroyer addon out there somewhere :o ), that's why the resistance bombers will sneak in, disguised, on the tugboat.

As for the bombing raids, I'd use Hudson's F/A-18s. A cluster bomb from one of these, when set to a 100 meter airburst, will destroy most of Lipany :o ! Since all of the towns on Malden are much smaller than Lipany, one CBU would completely annihilate one easily (The 100 meter airburst setting has a radius of 400 meters!!!).

Drozdov

« Reply #61 on: 02 Oct 2003, 17:43:10 »
I could use the CoC mines, but I don't think I will. One of those mines is Russian by the way, the MON 2000 or whatever it is. The one that looks like a satellite dish. Maybe the Soviets would send you a couple of these... I might use it.

I think that Komuna's idea of them asking to use the airfield is a good one. After all, they don't have an airbase on their base island do they?

There is one problem about the tug idea; there is no tug addon. Oh, and why are the soldiers still on board the LST? When would they disembark, and how?

Umm... is it really realistic to have one cluster bomb destroying a whole town? Wouldn't it only destroy the buildings next to it? I don't think the blast could go through several houses. But I do plan to use bombs, which leads me on to an idea I had for a mission...

During the occupation there is a civilian uprising against the American occupying troops in La Trinite. The Americans have been searching some peoples' houses and arresting anyone who resists. The townspeople grab the few guns they have and shoot the surprised Americans. They then take the American weapons, pass them around and drive all the local troops out. Your Resistance troops hear of this on the radio, and there is much debate on whether they should go and help. The player argues that it would be suicide to go and reinforce the town, as he says the Americans will bomb it to hell. A few agree, but many of them say they should help the civilians; understandabley, as they have friends and family there and don't want to 'betray' them, and also they don't think the Americans will bomb them. In a vote it is decided to go and help the townspeople. Militarily this is clearly a huge mistake. However, the player is forced to lead the group to reinforce La Trinite. The townsfolk are obviously delighted to see them, and they soon set about organising a defence. When the American counter-attack comes, they send insufficient troops; they have not bothered to spy out the situation and don't know that they are facing your Resistance army as well. This allows you to repel them, (hopefully  ;) ) an embarassing defeat for the Americans and a large psycholigical victory for the civilians, as well as the resistance. However, the Americans fall back on their superior technology. Or in other words, they decide to bomb the town to shit in revenge. And at night the bombers fly over.... the first time they have used bombs on Malden towns. The islanders are shocked and angry, leading to more volunteers for your army. What happens to the residents of La Trinite and their Resistance helpers is a secret for now  ;) .

m21man

« Reply #62 on: 02 Oct 2003, 19:44:05 »
Yeah, the lack of a tug addon is a snag :P , but there's got to be an appropriate boat of some type that could be used.

As to the cluster bomb, sure it could destroy a town! The one I'm thinking of ( Hudson's F/A-18 pack ), has a script that allows you to adjust the blast settings. The "Lipany Smasher" setting is when the cluster bomb releases it's bomblets 100 meters in the air, which creates a huge spray of slowing falling bomblets. When they touch the ground, well, it sort of sounds like BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM!!! Basically you hear this steady roar as the explosives go off. This would be staggering in a cutscene, you could have happy resistance troopers hanging around in La Trinite after they defeated the American attack. They hear the howl of an F-18 at full afterburner as it zooms over the town, dropping a single bomb. The bomb bursts, and the last thing you hear before the explosions is you yelling to your men: GET YOUR HEADS DOWN!

Drozdov

« Reply #63 on: 02 Oct 2003, 20:27:39 »
Well, I don't think a real cluster bomb would take out a whole small village. My bombers will drop 24 lgbs on La Trinite (from three A10s) using the CarpetBombing script available here. The one problem is that I don't know the name of the laser bombs. It isn't included in the Unoff. Com Ref.

m21man

« Reply #64 on: 02 Oct 2003, 21:26:08 »
Well, I looked up the CBU-87 on http://www.fas.org and it said that it had a blast footprint of about 200 by 400 meters, and it releases about 200 bomblets. Certainly enough to turn La Trinite into a smoking hole in the ground.

If you insist on using the LGBs, their name is "laserguidedbomb" when camcreating them.

Drozdov

« Reply #65 on: 02 Oct 2003, 21:28:52 »
200 bomblets? Ouch!  :o

But I presume that blast footprint (whatever that means) is doesn't take into account the fact that the buildings would shield each other from the blasts?

m21man

« Reply #66 on: 02 Oct 2003, 21:33:23 »
The F/A-18 pack that I so shamelessly advertise also contains many other weapon types hooked up to the F-18s. Here's the types I remember (And i probably got the names wrong :P ):
CBU-87 - Destruction guaranteed.
B-61 - Free Fall Weapon with a .3 kt nuclear warhead.
GBU16 - Laser guided bomb.
MK83 - Unguided conventional bomb.
AMRAAM - Nasty anti-air missiles.
AGM-88 - Sort of like Mavericks, except that 10 are carried.

m21man

« Reply #67 on: 02 Oct 2003, 21:35:26 »
Buildings will not really shield each other, because the bomblets coming rain straight down on top of anything in the blast footprint. By the way, the term "blast footprint" simply means that the bomblets are almost certain to kill anyone inside it.
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2003, 21:38:24 by m21man »

Drozdov

« Reply #68 on: 02 Oct 2003, 22:04:06 »
Can we stop talking about bombs and get back to revolutions? ;)

m21man

« Reply #69 on: 02 Oct 2003, 22:06:39 »
This is related to revolutions, these are the "delicate" measures the U.S. uses to "neutralize" terrorists :P .

m21man

« Reply #70 on: 02 Oct 2003, 22:08:19 »
This is also related to the campaign. Will you be using the low-res Malden or the high-res Maldova (It still isn't as much of a processor hog as Nogova.

Drozdov

« Reply #71 on: 02 Oct 2003, 22:12:43 »
Yeh, but we're drifting off topic and talking about how powerful a GBU-87 is. I ain't going to use it anyway... :P

How can I make it so that all the buildings in La Trinite are destroyed in subsequent missions? Aside from repeating the camcreating of lgbs at the start of each mission which would cause some problems.

m21man

« Reply #72 on: 02 Oct 2003, 22:26:29 »
Make a little script that goes:

(object 167345) setdammage 1
(object 154632) setdammage 1
exit

I made up the object IDs, you can view them by clicking "View IDs".

m21man

« Reply #73 on: 02 Oct 2003, 22:32:06 »
Here's a different way, it requires an array of everything you want destroyed. I haven't checked if this works, but it's a bit more sophisticated:

#start
_i = 0
_objarray = [object #, object #, object #, etc...]

#Main
?(_i == 6): goto "exit"
_desobj = _objarray select _i
_desobj setdammage 1
_i = _i + 1
goto "main"

#exit
exit

The 6 in the ?(_i == 6)... line is changed to the number of objects in the array.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2003, 16:21:05 by m21man »

m21man

« Reply #74 on: 05 Dec 2003, 19:13:31 »
Has this campaign been abandoned :'( ?