Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFPEC Campaign  (Read 11492 times)

Offline pcverden

• Former Staff
Re:OFPEC Campaign
« Reply #30 on: 24 May 2003, 12:29:01 »
From what I could gathered he left around the same time as me. I think said something about spending too much time on OFP and too little time on his family and job.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2003, 14:26:00 »
oh boy does that sound familiar or what!  ::)
Not all is lost.

SpecOpWarrior

« Reply #32 on: 26 May 2003, 19:20:21 »
Well I say OFPEC go for it,  
the campaign would get thousands of downloads without a shout of a doubt...

I know I would download it, for sh!t sure...

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #33 on: 26 May 2003, 19:48:17 »
we did go for it.... twice.... and it failed twice..... because many of the people who signed up didnt do any work, or did a half arsed job... and without teamwork, it fails...

sure, we could try again, but i'd expect the same result.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

bmgarcangel

« Reply #34 on: 26 May 2003, 23:49:59 »
Messiah, that is why you get the most dedicated team together.  No rookies and people who ask for help and work together, who trade info and other things.  Thats one of the qualities that I carry with me.  If you put together a team find the best.  I could help you too.  No rookies.  Don't be nice and let in someone who isn't on often either.  

Its all about the best of the best and staying focused on the task at hand  ::)

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #35 on: 27 May 2003, 00:21:20 »
Hmm, dedicated team, that sounds familiar. That's exactly what has been said before the second attempt. And it didn't work.

At the beginning everyone is enthusiastic about it. But once they really have to work on it,  they see that not everything is fun about it and that in a team everyone also has to do stuff he doesn't like. And suddenly it's "I don't have no time", "My job/school engagement keeps me busy" or simply deadlines that go up in smoke or people that don't react to e-mails.

You say about marriages that if you marry the second time, hope triumphs over experience. To keep the picture, if you marry a third time you're either stupid or naive. And I don't think we're naive. And we're defenitely not stupid (although some people do think that).

bmgarcangel

« Reply #36 on: 27 May 2003, 00:44:53 »
Ah christ, I said dedicated, not ok i'll do this and not that latter on.  Damn, I'm a dedicated person always.  I will always stay dedicated.  Nothing about building stuff or mission stuff is boring to me.  And I don't have distractions that can get in my way.  I can spend 4 or 5 hours straight or more working on one or two things.  You can find dedicated people, just make sure they aren't going to ditch on you.  As in before you get them to help you make them do something for you.  Like a test.  

Say build this mission and use these units and all this and make it hard not easy.    I'm 16 and summer here is coming up in about 3 weeks, i'm able to do stuff all summer, a campaign project I called focus on day and night.

Have you ever heard "if you fail, try and try again", the person who fails and gives up and doesn't try again is not so much looking at it the right way.  You have to have confidence.  I'm on OFPEC about 14 hours or more each day, I could lead a team if you want me too.  I could direct people and make sure they are doing the right thing at the right time.  I could get dedicated people, not someone who would sit and say cool then later say no.  
« Last Edit: 27 May 2003, 00:48:02 by BMGARCANGEL <Brendan> »

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2003, 02:05:16 »
all been done... all those promises have been promised - take it from experience - i've been here nearly 2 years, ive been on the campaign team twice, each time to see my hardwork mean nothing - its ok you being dedicated... but if the other members arent, then what use is it?

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2003, 02:18:51 »

8) neah worries, m8s...

I promise I'll make the campaign all by myself - and tonite!  :D Then I'll upload it tomorrow.  :)

Trust me! :thumbsup:

( ::) )

;D

bmgarcangel

« Reply #39 on: 27 May 2003, 02:22:58 »
Listen, you don't need a huge team to do it.  I can get these people together.  I can even get people from out of OFPEC that I know will up hold to this.  Dedicated people that is.  Professionals.  If you let i'll get together a group of ten people or more and we can start work on one.

But you know, it only takes one person to do everything.  One person could make islands, units, vehicles, weapons, missions, scripts, and cutscenes.  I can make scripts, cam scripted cutscenes, and exellent missions + plus my voice is good.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2003, 02:24:37 by BMGARCANGEL <Brendan> »

bmgarcangel

« Reply #40 on: 27 May 2003, 02:31:52 »
You know i've always worked alone on stuff.  Like my storyline and other things.  I biuld my cutscene's and missions, I do all my stuff alone because I have not many others to work with.  If you've seen some of my missions and that campaign in pending that i've made you'll understand that one person or three or four can do it all.

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #41 on: 27 May 2003, 02:33:03 »
although have yet to see evidence of this...

ok.. so you are dedicated... so start your own team, make a great campaign - but for it to be an OFPEC campaign, you would have to get OFPEC involved - as i know from talking to wolfsbane alot on the subject a year back... the campaign has always been a touchy point for the site...

but hey, with a new staff rota, then why not - i'd be happy to update the scripts, update the story and get the old missions back onto par - but its up to snYpir to decide and grab my stuff.

bmgarcangel

« Reply #42 on: 27 May 2003, 02:38:22 »
I like the story alot you know.  But I was thinking why not have them pull back to Germany and start fighting over there against the Russian's who are still storming accross Poland.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #43 on: 27 May 2003, 02:46:52 »
What Sefe is saying, Brendan, is that we've already been where you're advocating ... twice now.
To do it a third time would be a waste of time and resources given our experience, that could be better spent elsewhere...

Its a case of Inexperienced Enthusiasm vs Actual Experience.

I could get dedicated people, not someone who would sit and say cool then later say no.
Everyone that has opted for leadership of the Campaign project has said that. *Everyone*

The failure is not the enthusiasm of the leader, its the lack of motivation in the staff.
You can sign up anyone that shows promise and loyalty, but until they show consistent motivation and actual results, the project is doomed.
And speaking from experience in RL, once people lose motivation, it is *extremely* difficult to get them 'back in the game', even more so over 'blind' media like the internet.

I'm a dedicated person always.  I will always stay dedicated.  Nothing about building stuff or mission stuff is boring to me ... You can find dedicated people, just make sure they aren't going to ditch on you.  As in before you get them to help you make them do something for you.  Like a test.
Again, its a case of "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt". The teams that were built were not rookies, were all highly motivated and enthusiastic and were all well-established as to their skill levels.
But when approached by someone with a good reputation, and a good output level when working by themselves, you can't automatically see if things are going to fail later on.

Its very easy to build things and run things by yourself. Very easy indeed.
You don't have to deal with people, you can make a decision and run with it, you don't have to balance personalities and RL interference.

But once you have a team that you are responsible for, it becomes a very different ballgame, and infinitely more complex if you don't have the experience (which from an OFP community point of view, you're still an unproven quantity).

As Messiah said: "without teamwork, it fails"..

This is not to say don't pursue it, but until people can see actual high-quality output from a dedicated team of your own creation, its hard to ask others to put their trust and their resources within your reach. As it is in RL, so it is on the 'net...
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

bmgarcangel

« Reply #44 on: 27 May 2003, 02:58:33 »
I love working with people noon.  I love it.   It makes my work usaully better.  But you know, I have no one to work with because most of my friends are in the 44 invassion and some are in the other mods and some are full right now.  

Anyways, could you guys give me the missions and i'll start building from were you guys left off.  I can work with one of you guys too.  I'm great at storyline's and a lot of other stuff so you guys wouldn't need to worry about that.  I have summer in two weeks and I wouldn't drop out at all.  I'll have all the time in the world so come on you guys, you've been there from EXPRIENCE, you know, I know people who have too been there done that, but they got together a team finally and now they're very succesful.  Even if you fail so many times the will some people will have is non-stop.  Always there to motivate people not of false hope and thinking of the things that happened in the past but you should've learned from the past and now you can try again and do whatever it takes to keep it going.  If more people drop out again then counter that by getting other dedicated people from OFPEC or somewhere else.  You can do it, you haven't lost the will to do it guys, you
're just afraid of the consequences that you could face.  And you don't want that, do you now.  But you know as they say, face the fears and problems instead of walking away from them  ;)

If you guys don't want one, thats fine I guess, you guys don't have the will anymore because of experience.  I remember when you guys first had the site up around 3 or 2 years ago and you guys were building a campaign and I was so excited along with some other people.  But each time it went down.  It shouldn't of gone down, I don't know if you tryed to get other people but perhaps if you had then it might have stayed alive on maybe only 5 or 4 people.

Brendan G.