Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: War with Russia... and a twist  (Read 3841 times)

Offline ZeekLTK

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
War with Russia... and a twist
« on: 28 Apr 2003, 06:01:40 »
I read a couple of the threads near the top about wars with Russia for trying to recreate the Soviet Union and it seemed everyone was "sick" of that idea.

So....

What about a twist. Instead of Russia trying to reunite the Soviet Union, another former USSR nation tries to do so by invading Russia. I'm thinking the most likely candidate would be the Ukraine, but any of them will do: Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Azerbajian, Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan... I think that's all, there might be one or two that I missed.

Then you could either just have the two sides of the war: Ukraine (or whatever country you pick) vs Russia...

Or you could have the United State join in on one of the sides, possibly the Russians!

Have it take place several years in the future and the Ukraine (or whatever nation you pick) has been building up their military to an alarming size and "ultra nationalists" or whatever have come to power and dream of remaking the USSR, the first step would be either to invade the smaller nations around them and then go after Russia, or to take on Russia first, before they can mobilize and pretty much "catch them off guard"... and go from there.

Might be interesting for a campaign. :)
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2003, 06:02:29 by ZeekLTK »

Phantom

Re:War with Russia... and a twist
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2003, 06:42:55 »
do any of those countries have the resources to make a force that could stand a chance against the russians?

bigdog632

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2003, 17:40:25 »
throw in a few ex KGB and a few alliances and maybe they would......very maybe

Iwesshome

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2003, 17:50:09 »
Remember you have the war with Chechnya that Russia has been experiancing... they might not have a grand army like Russia once had but they have been kicking but back at them for many years now.

Phantom

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2003, 00:30:57 »
that's because of the way they're fighting.

and it's the fsb now, not the kgb
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2003, 12:39:31 by Phantom »

Frosty

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2003, 12:07:26 »
War with chechnya is already a mod; the caucaus mod.

epaga

« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2003, 12:02:31 »
Sounds a bit like Splinter Cell, if you ask me. :) Not that that's a bad thing, Splinter Cell had a great story to it. Plus it HAS to be realistic - it's Tom Clancy!!! :)

epaga

Stalker

« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2003, 13:43:01 »
Ukraine invades Russia... Guys are you nuts ? We don't have enough money to start a war. And war with Russia it's the craziest idea. Ukraine was always AGAINS the Soviet Union. We are the country who suffered lots more the everyone from USSR. It's the same as Gonduras or Zimbabve will diclare the war to US. And we are peacful nation...
« Last Edit: 02 May 2003, 13:45:47 by Stalker »

Yippyfn

« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2003, 12:24:07 »
What about invading Russia? Back in the Cold War it got pretty tense on the Russian-Chinese border sometimes. And I think they still really dislike each other.

MorMel

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2003, 17:06:24 »
I'm thinking the most likely candidate would be the Ukraine, but any of them will do: Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Azerbajian, Armenia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan... I think that's all, there might be one or two that I missed.

Stalker is right. Ukraina wouldn't start a war for the refoundation of USSR. Not even Belarus (Byelo-Rossiya), although Lukachenko misses "the old times".

But if you wan't a war related with Russians, you could think about the threat of a nuclear incident (have ever heard about nuke briefcases? They are REAL!) caused by a terrorist organization. You know that the US would have their own part on the storyline, as always.

Have you also heard about the communist's revolt by 1993 (not sure about the year). They wanted to replace the regimne, as Mr. Yeltsine was plunging the russian economy into an abyss... It envolved tanks and troops and... whatever.

Another idea? (Don't care. It's probably another foolish one ;D) What about a 'local' conflict because of an ill ended negotiation for nuclear disarmment between Cazakskaya (can't remember the english name...) or even Ukraina: remember that both still (or until 1999) have 'russian' nukes, such as the powerfull SS-24 or SS-18. Their delivering them to Russia (from what i've seen in news paper), but, you know, Mafia or another terrorist org could get involved with that and cause the so-caled nuclear incident.

Greetings, guys!

Yippyfn

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2003, 20:38:31 »
Oops, sorry about my last post (I was half asleep). What I meant to say was how about China invading Russia or vice versa? They really didn't like each other during the Cold War era, not sure how far that went though.

Phantom

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2003, 03:09:08 »
lol, it was the russians AND the americans that made those mate. a bigger worry though is a DIRTY bomb. it has a different effect to a nuke, you get the fallout and all the bad radiation, but not the catastrophic explosion, very scary shit.

it's just tainted uranium, or particles from a nuke, just stick 'em in with a shitload of explosives and you've got yourself a dirty bomb

Homefry31464

« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2003, 03:03:11 »
You could  make the story line like the Sum of All Fears (the book), only allow the conflict escalate into war.

Phantom

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2003, 11:46:15 »
can't anyone think for themselves anymore!

MorMel

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2003, 11:22:05 »
Right Phantom... Dirty bombs.

But I see that nobody's interested on proposing a good storyline for a confilct related with Russia. Even myself.

Regarding to the current situation of the former USSR Reps, I can see them involving into a serious international conflict. Of course, they still have their pride and they'll still try to show themselves to the international community, if you know what i mean. Therefore, a large scale conflict might not be the most apropriated, though it's possible.

In my opinion, a good story line - regarding to a conflict with Russia - would involve a terrorist liberation army / rebel liberation army (they're much different) versus russian government (ministry of interior, p.g.). A few terrorist acts against russian communes could be implemented. We could also add a new personage: the man-bomb (I don't know if anybody as already made this one), which would blow up a few houses with russian civilians inside... and maybe a bus to. Hey, wait... This seems to make an interesting campaign, full of 'movies'.
Of course, we shall not forget the good guy/guys and the headman of the rebels/terrorists. But not ex-Spetz Natz, please... I'm tired of that story!

P.S. - While I was writting this post, it constantly remembered me the russian conflict in Chechenya. So, if you think it's not original enough, just forget it, I'm not in the mood of reading offensive replies. It's just a proposal.