Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [OFP] [SP] [RESISTANCE] Everon Vice [REVIEW COMPLETE]  (Read 21424 times)

Offline JohnBart

• Members
Re: [OFP] [SP] [RESISTANCE] Everon Vice
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2009, 01:35:16 »
Done and done... :)

The campaign link in the first post now does not contain the addons - those are situated in a separate RAR archive.

I also made up a list of the addons used - however, I was unable to find Mehanic's VAZ2101; I remember that I downloaded it from ofpr.info, but it is not available there anymore. Nevertheless it is mentioned in the list (and is present in the addon archive).

Thank you for your continuing help... :)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #16 on: 29 Jun 2009, 20:43:05 »
Finally got through this one today. The gameplay was fun and challenging but not too easy nor too difficult. It seemed as though there were more cinematics then there was play time, and I found myself struggling to keep up with some of the rather long text remarks. I enjoyed the humor that you infused into each character. The Story carried an unexpectant twist followed by a rather hillarious ending and though I could not understand the speech and missed some of the text, It was not hard to keep up to speed on unfolding events. The gameplay was fresh from one mission to the next, not repeating objective types too often  and keeping it interesting. I received a missing BIS weapon error just before having to shoot the first holiday chopper down. I then received an error missing lost13.intro at the end of one of the closing cinematics.(I can't remember where and when that occured. I also experienced a CTD after clearing regina(I think) ALthough I am not sure if that was the mission or something else. The english text could use a thorough proofreading. The mission where the player had to rescue the dude from prison, I was given a gun with no ammo. I didnt quite like the baoundaries you forced with the single loud gunshot toward the end as I was trying to circle around the rear of a building and got shot(but not by any of the enemy weapons). I'll have to play through it again and pay better attention to each mission as I go so that I can help pin down those errors for removal.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 30 Jun 2009, 23:11:54 »
Thank you savedbygrace, I really appreciate your help! I am going to install OFP to my home computer too, so I can start bugfixing... :)

though I could not understand the speech and missed some of the text, It was not hard to keep up to speed on unfolding events...
Yep, unfortunately I was unable to figure out how to increase text showing time - this usually make longer texts disappear before one would have the chance to thoroughly read it over.

I also experienced a CTD after clearing regina.
Uh, what is a CTD? Sorry for the noobish question, but the Search at the top of the site gave me no results for this word.

The english text could use a thorough proofreading.
This will happen as soon as possible.

The mission where the player had to rescue the dude from prison, I was given a gun with no ammo.
It seems that I have to give the ammunition to the player character first, and the weapon afterwards... :)

I didnt quite like the boundaries you forced with the single loud gunshot toward the end...
Well, yes. The final mission was the one which went through the most iterations. :) The problem was that I wanted the players to really clear the whole city by progressing from the west to the beach at the east, giving them the sense that they actually get closer to their archenemy after every autosavegame. The autodead can really be annoying, I admit... But with my not-so-professional mission-building-skills, this was the only way I could ensure that the players really secure the hostages FIRST, and locate the main enemy indeed at the very end. Rest assured, the maps always contain these deadzones, and disappear when they have to.

I'll have to play through it again and pay better attention to each mission as I go so that I can help pin down those errors for removal.
Again, I really appreciate the attention that the campaign receives. Thank you. :)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jul 2009, 02:26:56 »
I would offer to help you correct your translations but I'm afraid I found myself at times struggling to do understand what exactly each character's intended meaning was behind his words. I also noticed that you did not use a stringtable but rather attached each line to the sound configuration in the Description. This is the underlying cause of the text disappearing so quickly. There would be far too much work in seperating the text in order to form a stringtable proper but it may be worth it to do this for the long text. My next run through this one, I'll pay close attention to those particular text and help you in getting that matter ironed out. It may take some time but I'll also sift through and do what I can to correct the english text as best as I can understand.
One way to seperate the text is to find the script that prints that text and then use the cuttext command to print them in two sections.(I'll demonstrate how in one of your scripts and then send it to you if you don't understand)

CTD = Crash to desktop. Once I play through it again, I'll see if it repeats.

Yes, one magazine before the weapon is necessary. But the trouble was that the ammo did not consistently appear for my reloading. (I'll explain what happened) Once the guy got shot, I ducked behind the concrete mg nest while my buddy stepped out and got shot. I was able to reload once but only after several moments into the firefight. The other times I played it through(which had to have been nearly ten times) I waited until my blackops appeared and then dashed for the van to grab an AK.

The out of bounds was not so bad and is understandable really. What I found wanting was that my men could run behind the buildings but I could not without the gun shot; so, I would recommend making that trigger just a wee bit bigger(not much).

One thing that I forgot to mention was that during the mission where the blackops hijack the gold trucks, you setpos the trucks while the camera is still in view and though it was not bad, I thought it worth mentioning.

ANother little thing was during the intro of the mission where the player is at the police headquarters and the song "Summer in the city" was playing, the slowdown time seemed to engage a fraction late as the bulk of the explosion had occured already. I think it would be more effective if you slowed the time a fraction before the explosion went off. Just a thought.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jul 2009, 22:55:40 »
Quote from: savedbygrace
I would offer to help you correct your translations but I'm afraid I found myself at times struggling to do understand what exactly each character's intended meaning was behind his words.
Correction won't be a problem, my English has improved a lot since then... ;)

I also noticed that you did not use a stringtable but rather attached each line to the sound configuration in the Description. This is the underlying cause of the text disappearing so quickly. There would be far too much work in seperating the text in order to form a stringtable proper but it may be worth it to do this for the long text. My next run through this one, I'll pay close attention to those particular text and help you in getting that matter ironed out.
Thank you. My problem with stringtable.csv was that I simply did not know how to create one. I always tried making them by using Excel - it was only a couple of weeks ago (looking for ArmA tutorials) when I learnt that they must be created simply with Notepad... :)
CTD = Crash to desktop. Once I play through it again, I'll see if it repeats.
I am also going to go through the campaign again and look for the most critical errors. :)

Yes, one magazine before the weapon is necessary. But the trouble was that the ammo did not consistently appear for my reloading... The other times I played it through(which had to have been nearly ten times) I waited until my blackops appeared and then dashed for the van to grab an AK.
I will take a closer look on the player character's weapon settings.

The out of bounds was not so bad and is understandable really. What I found wanting was that my men could run behind the buildings but I could not without the gun shot; so, I would recommend making that trigger just a wee bit bigger(not much).
Sure. I will try to reposition them to make it more user-friendly. :)

One thing that I forgot to mention was that during the mission where the blackops hijack the gold trucks, you setpos the trucks while the camera is still in view and though it was not bad, I thought it worth mentioning... Aother little thing was... the slowdown time seemed to engage a fraction late as the bulk of the explosion had occured already.
Now this is really interesting, because I remember that I spent an awful lot of time with these two, setting them up "correctly". They looked alright on my rig, but since my system changed considerably since then, I'll see whether they went wrong here too.

EDIT (July 6 2009): Unfortunately I won't be able to use the Internet for a week's time. I'm just writing this to assure you that I won't abandon the campaign - I am far from it, actually. :)
Correction of the text is almost completed, and hopefully I can start (and finish) fixing the bugs you have mentioned this week. :)
Thank you again for all the help I received. :)
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2009, 22:56:42 by JohnBart »

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2009, 22:47:26 »
Okay, I finally managed to solve (hopefully) all the problems mentioned above.

The subtitles have been completely rewritten, longer dialogs are now cut into 2-3 subtitle parts, Mission Six received some additional treatment, the GPS is now available in every mission and the showstoppers have hopefully been eliminated.

Why the 'hopefully'? Simply because I realized that sometimes Amalfi's MakePBOv1.1 screws up either the mission.sqm files or the OGG files of the campaign.

The CTD was caused by the corruption of the sound file which was to be loaded at that particular moment of the mission (thankfully I still had the Hungarian version of the campaign and could replace the OGG file with the working one easily), however the BIS_Weaponpack addon error was caused by the mere fact that PBO compression sometimes erases the vanilla addon from the addonlist of the mission.sqm file.

I realized all this when I completed the campaign on Veteran difficulty the day before yesterday, solved the showstoppers, then rebuilt the PBO file, replayed the campaign again yesterday, and received NEW showstoppers in missions which worked flawlessly so far.

My solution was simply making all the files write-protected, then making the PBO file write-protected as well. In this current version, I have no showstoppers neither in Cadet, nor in Veteran difficulty - I hope you won't experience anything like this too. :)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2009, 21:40:51 »
Great! I'll put it on my extensive list of things to do. Glad you updated.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2009, 23:29:32 »
This campaign looks interesting, but some of the addons links seem to be broken. Googling for them now...

EDIT: I was able to find every one except for Mehanic's VAZ 2101. Does anyone have it or know where to find it?
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2009, 23:52:05 by RKurtzDmitriyev »
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2009, 00:17:19 »
You could have taken the easy route ...  :whistle:
A complete package of the addons above is located here.

Mehanic's Page at GamePark, but the links are incorrect, instead try: _ftp://ftp.ofpr.info/ofpd/_hosted/mehanic/lada/lada175.zip
(Copy and paste the link in a browser window, omitting the underscore).

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2009, 00:47:26 »
LOL, thanks.  :D >:( :o :cool2: :good: ::) :whistle: :P
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #25 on: 09 Jan 2010, 15:10:58 »
This campaign looks interesting, but some of the addons links seem to be broken. Googling for them now...

EDIT: I was able to find every one except for Mehanic's VAZ 2101. Does anyone have it or know where to find it?

Sorry for the inconvenience, I remember that when I updated my first post, every link worked fine. Mehanic's VAZ proved to be a real pain for me too, as I was unable to download it from Gamepark anymore when I looked for its Internet availability... :)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #26 on: 11 Jan 2010, 21:25:07 »
I played the campaign, and it has very interesting plot as well as funny moments!
Good campaign, I personally give it well deserved 7/10.
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #27 on: 12 Jan 2010, 14:09:06 »
Thank you, Krieg! :)

Any bugs and/or glitches that you've encountered?

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2010, 18:36:45 »
None of what I know.
I will check further for bugs this weekend, though.
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.

Offline JohnBart

• Members
« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2010, 20:29:16 »
Thanks in advance... ;)