Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [CAMP] Perpetua  (Read 20981 times)

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
Re: [CAMP] Perpetua
« Reply #75 on: 16 Mar 2007, 08:12:55 »
Played Capriccio for two hours tonight.  This is a very well laid out base.  Like the double wire fence.

I'm finding this mission very difficult.  I enter base by shooting guard in tower near hole, and crawled in.  However I am unable to sneak my way to the factory tower.  Seems the only way is to crawl left until second fence opens up to right.  I then crawl down right side of small road into trees and bushes.  There is a tower guard looking that way but he does not have night vision so I make it to trees and bushes.  It is very tense when two roaming guards walk right past me there.

From this point, I try to sneak to the right, but before long the second story guard (not the tower guard) spots me and kills me.

I've tried shooting my way in (using same path) and got pretty far (killed first tower guard, tower guard toward center, and second story guard, and two roaming guards.  Then crawl right.  Snipe a few more perimeter tower guards along the way then get killed.

Question:  Is there a way to sneak in, or do I have to sneak around killing most of the guards?  I need a hint here...

Possible problem:   I went to old building first, before infiltrating camp.  Killed the guard, and took samples from barrel.  Now I am instructed to exfiltrate, eventhough first two objectives are not complete.  Is that right?  Could I finish the mission without ever entering the base?

Another question:  When the alarm goes off I hear alot of voices.  It sounds cool.  Is this a custom sound file you added?
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #76 on: 19 Mar 2007, 13:24:45 »
johnnyboy,

Thanks to report the bug: if you avoid to entering camp, you can complete the mission in old building. I fixed it in the new (v1.1) version.

The base is originally laid in the map, not my work. But it's great, I agreed.
The shouting voice when alarm, it's a built in voice, you can triggered this environment voice.

I reduced the guards' skill a lot of weeks ago.
There is no utlimate solution. I usually used the hole in the fence and sneak between the double fence and kill the tower guards one-by-one. And I watched my 9 (wothing to left). There is a few alone guards... And I used the MP5, because the SD M4 was heard by guards... I didn't know why...
Fix bayonet!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #77 on: 16 May 2007, 09:48:20 »
New version available!  v1.2 (see the first post!)

It's voice overed! Completly different feeling ;)

Not for betatest, just play!
Thank you OFPEC!
Fix bayonet!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #78 on: 16 May 2007, 12:15:51 »
I'm reviewing this one.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline _spitfire

• Members
  • -= Seriously Veteran =-
Re: (please review) [CAMP] Perpetua
« Reply #79 on: 20 May 2007, 18:24:56 »
Nice one mate.  A breath of fresh air to this ailing community.

No Serious errors.  I played v1.1.

I noticed two script errors appear in different cut-scenes (or intros) but they didn't seem to have any obvious effect.  Other then that, Great job.  Excellent work.  Wish it never ended.

Keep building,
Cheers!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
[ArmA] Perpetua (Campaign) by Bardosy
« Reply #80 on: 27 May 2007, 13:13:37 »
File: Perpetua.zip (12.6mb)
Version: Final
Requires: Armed Assault
AuthorBardosy
Score7
TypeCampaign
Addons:None
Description:As a young CO of the RACS, you will participate in the great war of Sahrani.

Review: by Cheetah

Overviews

Every overview is filled with a picture of the corresponding mission and it tells you something of what's going to happen in the mission. The pictures don't have a border or shading. There is no text in the overviews, but as this is a campaign it's not seen as a priority.

Cinematics

In a campaign the cinematics have to be at least average to make for an interesting campaign. In Perpetua the missions are connected to each other by intros and outros. Each cinematic shows something which makes sense, like a debriefing or a briefing video for the next mission.

Technically the cinematics are pretty good, there are no or minor errors in the camerawork. Everything goes smooth just as it should, the custom voices are well timed and add to the ambience of the cutscenes between missions. The artistic side of the camera work can be improved upon, right now most of the camerawork is a bit plain and without many special effects. Some camera angles could have been improved, or made a bit more spectacular. Right now most of the camera stuff feels a bit passive.

Briefings

The briefings all share the same layout, there is a general overview of the mission in the Plan section. In this overview, you can click Situation for a description of how the war is going. Every mission has the same build up of the briefing, which is something a campaign should have - consistency.

In the notes section you can find the opinion of Jorge Gomez, the main character in Perpetua. In a lot of missions, you will be accompanied by a squad of nine men, all carrying the rank of a Sergeant and an expert skill level. The high skill level fits in, after all we're members of the Mount Corps, elite soldiers fighting for the King. As for the ranks, you are a Lieutenant in command of nine Sergeants which is unrealistic and should have been avoided. It is often better to go for a more realistic approach when trying to simulate a war.

A small weapon selection is available at the start of each mission in the briefing. The weapon selection fits in with the mission and current situation of the player. In stealth missions you will find find a variaty of silent weapons and a G36, which opens up some possiblities. What was lacking from the selection were pistols, usefull in some situations.

Missions

Perpetua consists of eight missions of which the first is considered a prologue. Due to the many sound files included, eight missions, briefings and scripts the total file size is almost 13 megabytes. But this campaign sure is meaty, you will get a lot of playtime and a lot of good missions. Most of them are squad-based, only a few let you play on your own. There are a number of mission types in this campaign, assault - defense - stealth.

The missions are well crafted, and thanks to thorough beta testing there are no bugs in the campaign. What I missed was a bit of variation in the missions, some random elements to improve the replayability of Perpetua. Now you can replay it for the gameplay offered in some missions, not for the randomness of events. The gameplay in most missions is decent, thanks to well placed enemies you will find yourself in difficult, but enjoyable situations. There are enough enemies to form a decent opposition, but not too many to make the campaign unplayable. It feels as the difficulty gradually increases as more missions are completed, well done.

The technical aspect of the missions hasn't been overlooked, although is a bit lacking in some missions. A few missions feature an artillery script. What I missed were additional scripts, dialogs for the player to choose something, like the time of day he wants to attack a major objective or generally more options for optional objectives. However, in the mission Capriccio there is a nice detection script.

Most scripts used in the missions are for the numerous conversations present in the campaign, all the voices are timed well. Objectives are triggered when they should be, helicopters land wherever and whenever they should - something which is hard to achieve.

Sometimes I missed additional AI squads to help me out on objectives. The atmosphere could have been improved by adding more AI units which actually help the player.

Story

Campaigns should have a good story which sucks the player right into in and lets him go only when the campaign is finished. Perpetua has a story which opens a bit casual, with a conflict between the US an RACS on one side and the SLA on the other. Bardosy did a good job towards the end, adding a twist or two to the campaign, making it more interesting and less like other campaigns which feature the West vs East war. In some cutscenes or during the mission you can enjoy dialogues full of humor, sarcasm and irony.

The non-English voice actors of the RACS add up to the atmosphere, by not having a perfect pronounciation of the English language, they present themselves as an unprofessional army.

Conclusion

Perpetua features a good story, enjoyable missions, cinematics and custom voices. It should keep you busy for 10 hours, which is a lot. Remember that the 13mb download gives you a total of eight addonfree missions to play.

What does Perpetua lack? Additional scripts, for example to improve the AI, especially the friendly AI as they were a handicap in some missions. The cutscenes could use better camera angles and a few more action scenes.

This campaign should be enjoyable for everyone who likes the Singleplayer Mode of Armed Assault and thanks to custom voices really comes to life and has a good atmosphere waiting for you.

Scores
Overview - 7
Briefing - 7
Scripting - 5
Camera - 6
Overall - 7/10
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2007, 11:46:16 by Cheetah »
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: (Review Completed) [CAMP] Perpetua
« Reply #81 on: 27 May 2007, 13:19:00 »
Review completed

Feel free to start the after-review discussion!
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 11:50:01 by Cheetah »

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
Re: [ArmA] Perpetua (Campaign) by Bardosy
« Reply #82 on: 29 May 2007, 09:20:13 »
Thank you Cheetah for your review!
I agreed with your score.

Please let me note, I'm really happy to make a campaign whitch the community like.
I made a few campaigns for OFP and I never got so nice messages, as I got about Perpetua.

As for the ranks, you are a Lieutenant in command of nine Sergeants which is unrealistic and should have been avoided.
Agreed. I hoped the AI soldiers will be smarter if I rank them as sergeant.

What was lacking from the selection were pistols, usefull in some situations.
Sorry, I didn't understand this. You wanted to get pistol from the weapon selection?

Sometimes I missed additional AI squads to help me out on objectives.
I always try to add friendly AI groups, because I don't like the Rambo-like missions. But I agrred, I missed it eg. in the first battle for Ixel. But later only in the Spec Ops mission there was no friendly support teams.

Thank you for your nice words about the voiceover and voice actors.
I think, the voice over project was harder then made the whole campaign. And my actors was great! Eg.: Sabar (as major Ibanez) study to pronaunce the English words as a Spanish, but he is a Hungarian, like me...

And I have to say thank you to OFPEC community - and you Cheetah -  to beta testing this campaign!
Fix bayonet!

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #83 on: 22 Jul 2007, 16:02:46 »
Good job! I like it.  :good:
I don't care for cinematics and i would score it separately. Anyway, the 7 is a good and fair score.
Still in action, the campaign runs well and no bugs seen so far. What i always like is when the enemy is giving me a hard
time and prevents me from simply sniping them one by one. The SLAgs are well placed and this evil new feature called "grass" ;) is just realistic.   

Offline ltn.adahn

• Members
« Reply #84 on: 31 Jul 2007, 11:40:54 »
Very good campaign IMHO  :good:

havent finished it yet, but nevertheless the first missions quite made an impression on me  :D ;)
Armed Assault - Because You're Worth It !

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #85 on: 31 Jul 2007, 11:56:47 »
In the mission "dead end", i can't shoot the truck driver without failing the mission ? But i'm not quite sure if this is it. Is it possible that something else causes damage to the truck when they stop and fight ?
thanks

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #86 on: 06 Aug 2007, 13:34:18 »
hello gambla:

The truck driver is a chicken ;) is you knock out the first jeep or any BRDMs, he will stop and run away... So you get it  without scratch. Just be cautios if you use satchel to stop the convoy. I usually use satchel and I had to place it to avoid harm the truck.
Fix bayonet!

Offline Willus_Killus

• Members
« Reply #87 on: 27 Aug 2007, 13:38:05 »
good campaign, played it all the way to the end, took me a while ^^