Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [CAMP] Perpetua  (Read 20975 times)

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
Re: [CAMP] Perpetua
« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2007, 18:15:02 »
Glad to help mate.  I plan on posting a mission soon, and hope others will beta test it...(hint, hint).

Why was there tanks and helicopters in Pita with no pilots or crew?

Well... It's personal. Wink When I was kid I saw a lot of not-really-abandoned, but not working military stuff (helicopters, BMPs...) in military bases. This image is so communist-feeling for me.

Very interesting.  You should definitely keep it then.  But maybe you could add some text to the story line for those of us who would not guess this.  Perhaps a trigger near these vehicles where the player says something like:

"Wow...rusting helicopters and tanks...  Communist maintenance is even worse than ours!  They do not respect the gifts from their Russian uncles!"

Or something like that...
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2007, 12:39:32 »
@johnnyboy
It's a really good idea. I will do it!

@everyone
I updated the first post with a new version of campaign (v0.466) It's an improved version by your ideas.
Fix bayonet!

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2007, 23:00:09 »
Hi, a campaign better than the BIS one sure looks promising!

Mission #1: Prologue

Overview

The picture is a bit blurry, but otherwise very good.

Intro

Good camera angles and well done.

Mission

Totally different from any BIS mission. It describes the main character and the character of the army as well. Being from a small country (Austria) I can relate to the "our small and not-too-capable army" image. But I don't get the emphasis on mountain troops. These are considered elite in the countries who have them, I think. But nevermind.

Up in the tower I would have liked to have my weapon already in my hands. And the officer should be "CARELESS" to avoid hitting the ground and drawing his pistol once the shooting starts. I must admit that I did not pay much notice to the range because the Landrover arrived so fast.
A bit of music would have added to the immersion the conversation on the ride was building.

The idea of climbing the mountain is good, but I would have liked a real competition. Maybe it is an ArmA feature that the AI goes around obstacles and does not climb them.

Apart from this smaller nitpicks, this mission sets the mood for the campaign nicely.

Outro

As good as the intro.

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2007, 23:16:38 »
Onwards with

Mission #2: Gyros in Pita

Intro

Good mood and camerawork as before. Great job!

Mission

I encountered a bug on my first try: Choppers starting to climb before everyone was out and soldiers therefore falling to death. Retry, and everything worked as it should.
I advanced from the LZ towards Pita, encountering isolated soldiers on the way which were no problem for my squad.

Pita itself was a different story. Some well placed enemies and two BRDMs! The first one succeded to finish off my AT gunner and most of my squad in the process. Then I found a RPG and managed to kill the BRDMs.
Ok, onwards to the coastal gun emplacement,  me and my last two men. The soldiers there were very well placed and covered every angle.
This made that part of the mission bordering on being frustrating because BIS has left out the Killcam. It meant many retries before I had the base clear of enemy soldiers.

Now I was able to solve the last objective in an unusual way: By the power of a D30 gun!  :D
It made disposal of a distanced MG nest and sniper quite easy and rewarding (would have been downright frustrating else, because I was wounded and alone at that point).
After the D30s served their purpose they were blown up and I was pleased to watch a good outro.

Keep up the good work, you brought the "OFP feeling" back to ArmA!

Cheers

Mathias

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2007, 08:01:45 »
hi mathias! Thank you for testing!

Can I ask whitch version you used? v0.46 or v0466 ?

"CARELESS" is better then "SAFE"? I use "SAFE", but when my men start shooting (to the sky), officers go prone... I'll try with "CARELESS"...

@greg147, johnnyboy: Are you busy with the changeing to EU version? (Me too... :) ) But if you have a little time, please test the the last two missions. It's funny, because nobody arrive to these missions. First time I thought Stop for a minute mission is so laggy, and all tester stop there. But greg could finish it. ;)
Fix bayonet!

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2007, 09:00:00 »
Sorry, i've been quite busy in the last few days, and havn't had a lot of time. Plus, since the 505 version of the game was released, my performance settings have dropped even lower, with me on very low for everything, and still getting about 15FPS in an open field. Has put me off ArmA for a bit to be honest  ;)

I probably won't be able to test the next mission taday, but I may have time tomorrow.
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2007, 10:23:27 »
Thank you greg!

Plus, since the 505 version of the game was released, my performance settings have dropped even lower, with me on very low for everything, and still getting about 15FPS in an open field.

Really??? I heard this EU version (1.04) will be faster then old German/Checz... It's very interesting... :o
Fix bayonet!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2007, 16:11:16 »
@bardosy

I'm not sure if this has been addressed already, since I'm not in possession of your latest campaign version, but if not, there's a slight "bug" in the Gyros in Pita mission. When I first played the mission I was still such an über-crappy ArmA player (argh! They shoot me!) that I simply couldn't survive a head-on assault on Pita, what with the BRDMs and tight places. Besides, the briefing says quite clearly the main objective is the coastal battery ; so I take my men around up in the hills, and attack it from the top of the ridge. I also take out the MG nest in the meantime, easy peasy. I've actually only killed a handful or so of soldiers at this point, mind. Since all you need to do to finish the mission is to sneak into Pita and touch your waypoint/trigger in the middle of it, and the whole dialogue with home base will start which will finish the mission. No need to actually clear Pita or the small base of enemy troops.

Might want to either make the clearing of Pita an actual objective, OR make the mission end with just the destruction of the D30s.

Good continuation!  :good:

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2007, 06:29:47 »
@greg147, johnnyboy: Are you busy with the changeing to EU version? (Me too... Smiley ) But if you have a little time, please test the the last two missions. It's funny, because nobody arrive to these missions. First time I thought Stop for a minute mission is so laggy, and all tester stop there. But greg could finish it. Wink

Sorry my friend, but life got busy all of the sudden. I probably won't get to testing your campaign further until next week.  But I will!  Your campaign is better than Arma campaign, so I will finish it.
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #24 on: 22 Feb 2007, 10:59:07 »
@Wolfrug: Thank you, your report. It's a good tactics and I had no idea about player who avoid the fight in Pita. Thanks! I'll think about a better solution.

@johnnyboy: Sorry, I don't want to be unpolite or impatient. I was just affraid you stucked because the gameplay... Thank you for your work and I'll wait for your further reports! ;)
Fix bayonet!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #25 on: 22 Feb 2007, 11:30:43 »
Stop for a minute

Intro
Fine, although some soldiers seem to walk into each other, not a big problem though.

Briefing
Good.

Mission

1st try
We get into the two 4x4s and move towards Masbete, but get ambushed by SLA soldiers near the road. My gunner gets shot down and while trying to get out I get shot by even more men. Have to be more carefull next time and make sure that I take the best route towards Masbete.

2nd try
This time I'm the gunner of the first jeep and I make sure that we can pass with only one KIA, it's pretty hard to use the M2 as you can't zoom in on the targets. I'm now in Masbete and I just placed my units on the western side of town, lying behind the jeeps and buildings.

I just saved the game, because I have to be at work in 30 minutes. So I'll continue later, sorry.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2007, 12:25:37 »
Thanks cheetah, but I'm affraid you can't play with this mission, because of lag. So if you have any speed problem, just use the ENDMISSION cheat to continue the testing in the next mission.

But if you post here, I'm asking something:
I read your tutorial about the sqf and you wrote in it: sqf is faster... What deas it mean? The execVM is a faster script runner engine?
I'm not sure, but maybe this mission (Stop for a minute) is slow because script... I use a generate script and it generate 8 enemy squad, one-by-one after 80 seconds. And an other script generate 5 friendly squad, one in every 80 seconds AND I run a infinite loop and it's deleteVehicle the dead bodies in every 20th second.

Is it possible the mission is slow, because the enemy squads spawn very far and too many enemy units exists in same time...
Fix bayonet!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #27 on: 23 Feb 2007, 10:19:31 »
@all

I updated the first post with new version.
Fix bayonet!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #28 on: 23 Feb 2007, 11:56:24 »
Continuation of Stop a minute - version 0.465

Okay, I'm with my squad at the western edge of Masbete, behind my two cars and a large house.
The lag is okay, I must say that disabling shadows and lowering terrain details helps a lot for me. Anyway, I lose a couple of guys and then decide that the offensive is the best defense, so I move towards the trees in front of me and meet a large force of SLA troops. Luckily I took a few additional hand grenades with me, six total now, which helps me in the upcoming fight.

After a while a lot of SLA troops are toasted, I'm on their right flank and my teammates together with other RACS forces prevent the SLA from entering Masbete. I'm a bit worried about their armour though, haven't seen friendly AT soldiers walking around and I don't know if I lost one during the ambush.

They are coming towards my position so it's getting a bit hot, which means that I have to retreat about 15 metres. Damn, about two squads are coming, one in front of me, the other is hitting the right flank of my squad. I lose about three of four guys, don't know, and have to use a lot of magazines in order to keep the enemy at bay. Pretty good battle so far, sometimes I even miss a pistol. Have to get more ammo for my G36 soon.

Okay, ammo problem solved. I took the SAW from one of my teammates, glad that there's plenty of ammo left. After running back to my old position I get a radio message telling me that there's artillery pounding at the enemy. I move into position to see a bit of it, on my way killing two enemies, and it's pretty rough there. Glad that it's friendly arty, one thing to mention though, the artillery sounds a bit too dense, you might want to spread the rounds over a longer period of time.

Have to move to Ixel, so I get my three teammates and myself in a 4x4 and we move towards Ixel. I take a look at the map and discover that we have about three squads, with limited to none casualties left on the western edge of time. Seems like my squad took almost all the heat, damn. I hope that I've got enough men left to capture Ixel.

On the way back there we catch some fire, probably a sniper and one other guy by judging the sounds. After a while I get radio traffic telling me that I'm almost at Ixel, but I find myself pretty far away from Ixel when I look at the map, oops wrong turn. So I drive through the landscape to reach Ixel ASAP, trying to attack the enemy in the back. I reach the town without spotting enemy soldiers, but I do catch some fire, which sucks because I'm already injured (happened in Masbete, couldn't find a medic).

Anyway, I let my soldiers disembark and get in the house where I find an officer on the floor, what a pussy. I manage to kill a lot of SLA troops, but we suffer a lot of casualties, my whole squad gets wiped out. It's time to check the perimeter of Ixel on my own, with my trusty SAW. I throw my two remaining grenades in the little bushy bush near the house and advance. Making my way towards the two houses in west Ixel, eliminating about four soldiers. The firefight gets heavier by the minute it seems, intense firefight sounds are echoing in my room.

Damn, I want backup, I'd like a few men from the Ixel guards under my control, or maybe a m113 coming to our aid, or artillery, yes I'm now a man in panic. There must be a squad coming around the corner in front of me, I'm lucky that I've got a SAW in my hands. Then things begin to settle down and the enemy seems to have lost most of its men so it's time to come into action myself, a one-man-offensive.

I try to get up the hill, looking left and right for enemy soldiers and then "incoming artillery", so I make my way back to my position near the two buildings in the west of Ixel and wait and wait. What a waste of rounds, there are no enemies left, well didn't see any when I moved towards the enemy position. Oh, seems like you have a script to clean up dead SLA bodies, good for reducing lag I think.

Damn, those exploding artillery rounds are beautiful in ArmA aren't they? :)
Hey, the mission seems over, I have to report to the officer in the HQ, or the house I used as my first firing position. Mission ends, whooah.

Debriefing
duration: 27 minutes
Score: 22540
Objectives [n]not[/b] ticked off.

Outro
"Why we don't attack" -> "why don't we attack?"
- More spelling errors in the conversation, I suggest getting it corrected

Outro is fine, strange though that Gomez, I, report 5 KIA but my whole squad has been wiped out.
Seems like it's going to be a good twist in the story.

Conclusion
One of the best ArmA missions I've played so far! Good atmosphere, it's just that I didn't like the way the artillery sounds (too dense). But a very nice attack, at least it felt good :).

Capricccio

Intro
Pretty interesting intro / video briefing, didn't like the script which turns the searchlights, you need to turn them smoother. Now they turn 30 degrees in one second, too fast.

Briefing
Missing vlajka.. flag thingy.
Fine briefing.

Mission
After moving to the east, I don't give a thing about the plan - sorry, I come across a spetz natz patrol and kill them. Get two hand grenades and one satchel then move on. I get closer to the camp, aware of the guards in the towers who can make things hot.
After a bit of crawling I use a headshot to take care off the guard in the tower and make a plan to enter the camp.
There is a double fence so I hope that the satchel can take care of both fences.

There's probably a clipping problem, because when trying to get as close to the fence as possible for the satchel I crawl through it. I plant the satchel and blow the fence, kill another tower guard, a two men patrol and make my way towards the factory.

Now something is going wrong with the radio, seems like I triggered two radio conversations at once :). One telling me where to go, the other telling my boss what I found. Anyway, objective completed, damn those cars aren't drivable which means that I have to run back to the evac... okay not I have to do something else.

So I make my way to the new target. I see a few patrols in the perimeter of the building, but not enough to stop me, I'm going in.
I get shot at by a sniper while running towards the building, he hits me arm, damn. Kill two soldiers near the building and get in.

I enter the building and see nothing, a few rooms deeper I see a dead guy. Don't know if it's a civilian, will check later after clearing. Yes he is a civilan and there's another. A conversation kicks in, completed get back to the evac.
Yeah, mission completed.

Debriefing
23 minutes, 3300 score, objectives not ticked off

Outro
Good angles, like the way the camera is locked on the boat, might be a bit dark for some people not for me, some typos in the text. Just a minor thing: "I" don't carry the weapon I used.

Conclusion
Pretty good, a bit above average.

Dead end

Intro
Nice angles, good animations. Again a briefing, this time without video. Fine. You have learned some new stuff about camera scripting, good.

Briefing
Hmm, some typos in the briefing, damn thought that I took a look at it. Anyway the plan, notes section and map are fine. Not too crowded and easy to understand. A HALO jump, interesting.

Mission
Going to stop here. Will continue later.
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2007, 12:42:38 by Cheetah »
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline bardosy

• Honoured Contributor
  • campaign designer
    • CartooDiv
« Reply #29 on: 23 Feb 2007, 13:35:47 »
@cheetah:

whoooohoo! That was a very good and exciting report!!! I really liked it!

Stop for a minute:

the artillery sounds a bit too dense
OK. Here is not so important like in Ghosts, so I'll soften up.

After a while I get radio traffic telling me that I'm almost at Ixel, but I find myself pretty far away from Ixel when I look at the map, oops wrong turn.
I'll check it! I think I triggered the attack and the radio woth same trigger. And I must triggered the attack if you come any direction... Because you can arrive to Ixel and there is no emergency situation.

happened in Masbete, couldn't find a medic
In Masbete (and in Ixel) created RACS squads to support the defence and all squad have medic. But thanks for idea, I'll insert Field Hospital in both village.

Damn, I want backup, I'd like a few men from the Ixel guards under my control
A few RACS squad (fewer than SLA) arrive to Ixel to support. Or they must be arrive. There was no these support? (not your control, of course)

What a waste of rounds, there are no enemies left
:) I want kill the rest of the enemy and sign somehow the end of the battle.
The arty triggered after 2 minutes when the last SLA squad created.

Oh, seems like you have a script to clean up dead SLA bodies, good for reducing lag I think.
I really fear from Mikero. :) Do you how he is? When he try the ArmA down there...?

Capriccio

First thing first: there was an alarm when you choose the brute force?
(There is an alarm trigger if SLA side detected you twice, but sometimes not triggered)

when trying to get as close to the fence as possible for the satchel I crawl through it.
WOOOW! Typical checz-bug: in the Hidden and Dangerous series I used this bug to shortcut some mission ;)

Now something is going wrong with the radio, seems like I triggered two radio conversations at once
Yeah... probably. I didn't expect brute force entry with satchel... But thanks! I'll fix it somehow.

objectives not ticked off
??? Interesting! When I tested it (and Stop for a minute too) the objectives was ticked. I'll check it...

"I" don't carry the weapon I used.
I cant send information from mission to outro. But I'll change the outro weapon to SD MP5. It's not the perfect solution, because the player can choose other SD weapon in the begining...

Thanks a lot!
Good fighting in Dead end...!
Fix bayonet!