Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Fires in the bush - vietnam campaign  (Read 3870 times)

Metalman

Fires in the bush - vietnam campaign
« on: 14 Nov 2005, 00:17:59 »
I have thought of a idea which i think sounds good, I know that it is just another vietnam campaign idea but i think it is a area which there is not many good campaigns out there. I will use VTE's addons.

Here is the idea. it might change a bit later on.

You play as scott johnson a US marine who is sent to vietnam in 1965. He is sent to Dak saeng where he is stationed for 3 months fighting Vc and Nva troops.  Tasks that will be carried out would be patrols, search and rescue etc........ I was thinking it might be cool if you followed the lead character through each day so you would start one day off by waking up and then getting your orders if you was not already on a mission, then go out on the mission then return to base and do a possible guard the base every now and again.

What do you guys think, please let us know and if anyone has any ideas please let us know.....metalman

marcus3

Re:Fires in the bush - vietnam campaign
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2005, 04:26:50 »
maybe at the start of the campaign, u could make a mission where u like leave your wife and stuff. maybe get a letter or phone call telling you to be at airport or something. anways.  ;D

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2005, 19:02:20 »
Hmm one long campaign but it would be good.

I don't think the mission should be to go to the airport, maybe have that in a cutscene or something.

VTE? Damn I can't play it then  :'( VTE causes a strange crashing error for me  ???
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2005, 21:26:50 »
what about using Unsung mod addons when thats released

also the campaign sounds pretty cool i would love a nice long vietnam campaign

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2005, 00:14:59 »
I will throw a bone out to you on this one. If you would like more information, I have it. This was based on me pop's tour in Vietnam with the US Air Force Reserves, my uncle's two tours as US Air Force, and a close family friend's tour in the US Army.

The Unit:
The unit is known as an ARP, Aiborne Rifle Platoon. These men were Army Rangers attached to the Army Aviation Units, and served with the Hunter-Killer teams of the Army Aviation i.e. 7th Bn, 5th Div in Vietnam. They performed many different missions from SAD, CP, and SAR/CSAR.

The CoC:
The Hunter-Killer teams were organized as Pink-Teams, because of the color system they used. Each pink team had four parts:
  • White alias Darkhorse One Six

- Scout element
  - One OH-A6 Loach
  - Air Mission Commander
  • Red Element alias Darkhorse Two Six and Two Eight

- Combat element
  - Two AH-1G "Snakes" or "Cobras"
  • Green/Pink alias Darkhorse Three Six

- Transport element
  - One+ UH-1H "Huey" slicks
  • Blue alias Darkhorse Four Six

- Rifle element
  - Twelve to thirty five Ranger grunts known as 'Blues'
  - Under a LT
  - Self-Extracting unit
  - Fast ropes into areas

You can do SAR missions, have the loach or a Snake take a hit and go down, then you as a Blue can help hold the area. Also, find the downed chopper. Many different things.  :)

Use that info as you wish.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2005, 00:15:41 by Tyger »
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Quang Tri

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2005, 00:33:00 »
Tyger  Nice info  ;)

Both ideas sound really good I will be more than happy to test when needed as for the addons.. to use this is getting to be a hard question anymore

1.) VTE is huge everything a mission builder needs
a.) Huge so alot of people cant download ???

2.) Unsung is looking good but no telling when you will be able to finish up with this :-\
b.) not sure what all will contain if will need other addons or not ???

At this point I think I would go with Vte all you need is their so you wont need a list of addons to use that would help alot of nam fans out Also some well done islands done by polish Gi with good firebases etc... in the end Id say do what you like and we will support it

Quang Tri
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2005, 00:33:49 by Quang Tri »

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2005, 01:54:36 »
SEB Nam2 is a little old but their units are still decent. Also, you could combine the smaller Unsung and Kyle Sarnik's Nam units for a much smaller D/L. I would rather get two small D/Ls than one enourmous one IMHO.

Just my two cents worth. ;)
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Quang Tri

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2005, 02:13:03 »
Good point on the downloads i still have seb 2 which i enjoy I have not looked at Kyle Sarnik's Vietnam units yet downloading now I may also go with unsung and Kyle's units  ;)

Quang Tri

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2005, 19:04:14 »
Your better off using the original JJR ones IMOH cos Kyles were full of little annoying bugs.

But then again you could always use Unsung Units  ;D

sim

Quang Tri

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2005, 19:45:19 »
I dont want to stray off Topic I tried using sim and tyger suggtions I cant seem to be able to run my missions now (Seb2 ) after i nstalled VTE They are in seperate mod folders addons get so  ???

The unsung  Units Do indeed Look good ;)

The maps that come with VTE and the units tho are limitless,, Metalman  The options just keep adding up you should be able to produce exactly what you hope to acomplish with so many great addons out these days  ;D

Quang Tri

Metalman

« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2005, 14:53:46 »
thaks for the replies guys, i was thinking about using the Unsung mods addons but with that you would have to download other adons but like a few of you have said VTE has everything you need.

Thanks for the info Tyger, that is going to help us alot. i might in coroporate that into my campaign.

I have started the campaign now only managed to do the first 4 missions, they need polishing up no way near ready for beta release yet but when they are i will make sure that i post them in the forums.

If anyone has any other cool missions/features that could make the campaign better/more exicting then please let us know.

Here is a picture i took when putting one of the missions togehter, not great but better then nothing

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2005, 17:02:36 »
Glad to hear you have started your campaign   :)
Whatever you do, don't lose inspiration, I know its not easy to come by and it does easily go  >:( lol

If you do need inspiration read some good 'Nam books or even watch some Nam films or some Tour of Duty is always good  ;)

Good luck

sim

Conors

« Reply #12 on: 04 Dec 2005, 06:05:07 »
you could try a dynamic campaign, there are several out there cerantly one in afganistan and one in Tonal (more than 1 i bet) take a look

Agent Luciane

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2006, 12:57:40 »
Hey Quang Tre or Quang Tri did you know that your nickname means "Bamboo" there is a variation of "i" and "e" in the spelling but the sounding is the same in the vietnamese language..if anybody wants vietnamese translation for in game mission realisim I can do it for you

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2006, 21:12:52 »
The idea of making each "mission" a single day in a tour is a very good and original one imo. This will become a great tool in keeping the suspense level high throughout the campaign.

Also I would recommend extensive use of the SaveVar command. If a helo goes down in one mission you won't be able to use it in the next, and set it latr on in he war when (i think) the government was cutting down on expenditures in the war. Resources won't be endless, you'll have to make the most of a limitted supply and regularly pick up Mausers and AKs.

Scavenging always adds a lot to a campaign, or indeed a mission, as seen in Abandoned Armies (sorry, I just had to mention it :P)