Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Checkmate!!!  (Read 1362 times)

Merc

Checkmate!!!
« on: 11 Jul 2006, 09:32:09 »
How about a game of chess? 1 vs. 1 mp where the players are the kings. They would move the "pieces" (Abrams and T80's are queens  ;)) using dialogs and when ever there is a battle, the camera zooms in and you get to watch what happens. And when there is checkmate, the losing king gets to sit on a laser guided bomb!

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: Checkmate!!!
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2006, 11:05:38 »
Of course, this doesn't really fit in with normal OFP missions. But if one succeeds in making a really nice chess mission I think that it can be a good map. But it looks really hard to me, to make it work properly and enjoyable.

Definitely worth attention, but should be well though over.

The first thing is if you want only chess play, or you want a cutscene when a fight takes place and the winner wins. Don't think that it'll be playable then. Imagine a pawn (soldier?) vs the queen, pretty fair ugh :).

An idea is that you let them fight and the winner wins, even a pawn can win against the queen. Given that the pawn is a LAW soldier. After the fight you don't setDammage back to 0, but let it keep it's injuries etc. This might make for a interesting mission.

But of course, the problem remains, it will be quite hard to make. And even harder to make it playable properly. And the hardest part would be to make the mission more fun than standard missions in my opinion that is.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Re: Checkmate!!!
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2006, 18:28:49 »
an interesting idea, if tricky to implement in a traditional sense, i.e. units which move on some sort of board in chess-defined ways. scripting would obviously be required to limit the pieces' movements to the grid squares that they're allowed to move to, but it's doable. control of that complexity would have to be handled using extensive dialogs.

on a separate note, well-made tactical missions are in themselves akin to chess, which takes its concept from medieval warfare. tanks move at a certain speed and have certain battle capabilities, as do choppers, as do infantry. if one were to consider the tactical aspects of flashpoint more than the running-about-shooting-at-stuff aspect, the leap to something chess-like would not be huge.