Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Would real life snipers ever carry any AT?  (Read 4319 times)

1B1KSniper

Re:Would real life snipers ever carry any AT?
« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2002, 17:12:33 »
I think it would depend on  the mission...  If the sniper has been there long enough he might have some other weapons stashed around the place.  If you take out a patrol of enemy soldiers you would take their weapons wouldn't you?  After all, a sniper rifle is good for engaging from a distance but up close... you need fire power like you'd get with an assault rifle.
So place a camouflaged ammo box nearby with an AT launcher and maybe some assault rifles.   But if you had just been inserted then you would only have your weapons that you would have been given for your insertion.  It all depends on the mission.
That's my two cents worth...
Your choice.

Jakerod

« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2002, 04:50:34 »
You dont need to have it totally realistic.... When i want to have something that aint realistic i make something up... like if i dont want there to be air support and their normally would  be... i would say.... all the A-10s are out of action because the wheels fell off and we cant find any replacements ;D ...i wouldnt say that exactly but i would say something that would cause them to be out of the fight like no fuel or no ammo, or they are attacking something else right now.

registered_fugitiv

« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2002, 01:45:17 »
In my knowlage of snipers i know they themselfs or in a team
(snipers work in pairs most ussually) and as for ATs they dont use them because like sum ppl have said it effects speed, camoflage and stealth
go for realism

Marsuitor

« Reply #18 on: 01 Nov 2002, 05:11:38 »
@ 1B1K,
Unless something something has gone terribly wrong, one would not rely on scavenging weapons from dead adversaries... I don't know about US/UK or whoever else's SOP, but the Norwegian one is that the sniper himself in the pair would carry a normal assault rifle, or MP5 in addition to the sniper rifle. The simple reason being that if you get bumped you'll want to lay down enough fire to eventually (and hopefully) break contact and get away. And having one man yanking a bolt won't excactly contribute to that...

Also if you're physically fit enough to be a sniper, you're sure as hell fit enough to have a 2.5kg and 70cm long LAW strapped to yourself, in addition to your uniform, rifle, webgear and bergen. Even though you, as a sniper, should be "invisible" and all the rest, you can't help having old Murphy around. Things can go FUBAR no matter how much training and preperations you've done beforehand.
The bottom line being, do your packing to be able to counter a worst case scenario. All within reasonable limits, of course. If all goes wrong and you're surrounded by a company of enemy infantry, your skullfucked no matter what.

Cheers! ;)
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2002, 05:19:54 by Marsuitor »

Liquid_Silence

« Reply #19 on: 26 Nov 2002, 12:37:24 »
Well, you could class the M82A1 (Barret .50 cal) as a semi-AT weapon, as it can take down lightly armoured vehicles.

A sniper who selectively targets a tank's sensor equipment (ond assorted other vunerable bits) can disable even an Abrams, so a standard SWS can be used in to do some damage to a tank. I don't think that this is viable in OFP at this point though.

I think that the best idea would be to take one of the Barret M82A1 addons out there (or make a new one) and make it a secondary weapon, not a primary. This would allow a sniper to have some anti-vehicle capability, while adding the ability to engage at extreme range.

An interesting effect of this would be the ability to take an assault rifle, and a sniper rifle, like Marsuitor suggested. This isn't quite as cheesy as it sounds, as the M82 is not really useful against infantry except at extreme range, when you can't hit with a normal rifle, due to it's low rate of fire, and massive recoil.

[Off Topic...]

On snipers being Special Forces:

Generally a sniper in a normal infantry unit is called a Designated Marksman. These snipers don't use as many unconventional warfare tactics as those snipers who operate in smaller groups. Any sniper operating in a small group (e.g. Sniper/Spotter) is going to have to use more UW than one backed up by an infantry squad.

MEU's are generally Special Operations Capable, which means that they are just as much a part of the "SpecOps" community as the SEALs etc...Marine forces are labelled SOC and not Special Forces, due to the fact that SOCOM doesn't have control of them.

[Note: The status of Force Recon as Special Forces may become official if the Marines contribute to SOCOM.]

[And this next bit is nice :)]

Shit: Through the eyes of the Military

*An Army grunt stands in the rain with a 35 pound pack on his back, 15 lb. weapon in hand, after having marched 12 miles, and says, "This is shit!"

*An Army Airborne Ranger stands in the rain with a 45 lb. pack on his back, weapon in hand, after having jumped from an airplane and marched 18 miles, and says with a smile, "This is good shit!"

*A Navy SEAL lies in the mud, 55 LB pack on his back, weapon in hand, after swimming 10 miles to shore, crawling through a swamp and marching 25 miles at night past the enemy positions, says with a grin, "This really is great shit."

*A Marine Scout/Sniper, up to his nose in the stinking, bug-infested mud of a swamp with a 65 LB pack on his back and a weapon in both hands after jumping from an aircraft at high altitude, into the ocean, swimming 12 miles to the shore, killing several alligators to enter the swamp, then stalking 30 miles through the brush to an FFP, says, "I love this shit."

*The Air Force NCO sits in an easy chair in an air conditioned, carpeted office and says, "My e-mail's out? What kind of shit is this?"

-> www.marinescoutsniper.com

And always remember: There is a sign at the USMC sniper school that reads "The average rounds expended per kill with the M16 in Vietnam was 50,000. Snipers averaged 1.3 rounds. The cost difference was $2300 v. 27 cents."

:wave: Liquid_Silence Out...