Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Would real life snipers ever carry any AT?  (Read 4316 times)

Aculaud

Would real life snipers ever carry any AT?
« on: 04 Oct 2002, 09:20:23 »
I'm in need of more realism advice.

Would a real-life sniper team ever carry anti-tank weaponry of any sort?

I was previously under the impression that a sniper team's MO was stealth all the way, but iv been experimenting with kits and it seems like a good idea. If they do have to rock and roll, they certainly can. And you would be happy in the knowledge that you wouldnt get taken out by some APC when you were within meters of friendly territory.

But i'd still just like to know. Are there any cercumstances whatsoever when a sniper team would carry any type of anti-armor weaponry?

asmodeus

Re:Would real life snipers ever carry any AT?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Oct 2002, 09:49:09 »
Here's my opinion...

I think any anti tank weapon gives you a higher priority and thus less stealth abilities to the enemy...  (in the game)

Realistically a LAW launcher would be horizontal across your shoulder blades...  (like in Platoon, Hawkins wears it that way the whole movie and never uses it!)   ;)

Also, I think it would be perfectly fine if you had a spotter for the sniper that had anti tank capabilities, mines, satchels... ;D

Go wild I say!  There's no solid rules for this kind of thing in warfare IMO..  Snipers are more spec ops and thus more versatile and will have various different needs on different missions...

P.S.  Kaliyuga just told me that per the US Sniper Field Manual, the spotter's default loadout is an M16+M203.   ;)

Aculaud

« Reply #2 on: 05 Oct 2002, 10:49:17 »
Yeah, right now my sniper team is set up with one sniper, one black op day with an M16+M203, and one black op day with an M16 and a Carl Gustav Launcher. The idea being that we obviously dont fire a shot unless we are either at the objective, or we become compromised, and if we have to, we can definitely open up and kick some.

Iv tested this concept with me as the sniper against two eastern infantry groups and one BMP, all coming at us at once, and we can easily defend ourselves from everything.

So at this point, i basically just need to know if a sniper team's kit selection is flexible enough to allow that sort of firepower.

And yeah, i know there are no limits in the game to what you can do, i just like to go fro realism above all else whenever i can ;)

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #3 on: 06 Oct 2002, 17:45:21 »
The M72 LAW is really light and small, wen you want to ust it you just unfold it, that is a real life weapon, is similar to the C90 too, that could be ideal for a real life sniper team to carry in case of beeing compromised, the problem it that ingame its a lot diferent because the AI would be more prompted to detect you with such weapon cos is nothing that small ingame(as far as I know) an AT weapon in a sniper team for OFP? I would say is quihte real, just kip on trying and then beta tested in here and see what feedback you get from the comunity, it hoppefully work well, I don't know, but if it do let me know, I wouldn't mind to use this weapon load in a sniper team too ;D
Later.
@CERO.
SCREWBY!!!

Bosniarat

« Reply #4 on: 07 Oct 2002, 17:56:07 »
Well Anymore the US Army, i dont know if the rest have switched, is using the AT-4 as we 11 bullet stoppers call it, or the M-136 Anti-tank Missile launcher. the 72 was more compact but lacked the penatration that the AT-4 has, and We switched. As to the Question, depends. If a sniper is part of a Ranger Group he would have the Carl to work with. but as a Sniper team they are more concerned with steath than Firepower, most of the time they carry very little. They carry mostly MRES :P so they can wait and watch their targets. the more that you carry the louder you get as a sniper will tell you. So the Answer to the question is no. They would not.

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #5 on: 07 Oct 2002, 19:48:16 »
That sound more knowledgable than my answer, and the bit you sed about the sniper prefering stealth than firepower is really understandable ::)how can I argue with that? If I was a sniper and I been undercover for 6 days and I notice a BMP and a infantry squad coming to my direction probably the last thing I would do is move, they probably don't know that I'm in there, and before they come in group to get me risking a nasty encounter by not knowing what they gonna come to they probably use some good firepower from a safe distance, so the point of having a TA weapon would be the same as geting a cuple of gunships scorting a BH when they pic you up back home, so yeah, it loocks like you'r right in there mate ;D No LAWs on snipers. ;)
Later all.
@CERO.
« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2002, 19:50:38 by @cero »
SCREWBY!!!

walker

« Reply #6 on: 09 Oct 2002, 13:26:47 »
Hi all

An amatuers take on this; never fired a real gun in my life.

The proper anti tank weapons for a sniper would be satchel charges and mines. They are less traceable than rockets which explode with a big wush out of a launcher in a cloud of smoke, with trail of smoke leading to your launch site.

It all mitigates against a snipers chief means of protection stealth. They fire one shot and then move to a new location. No one is sure where the shot came from they disapear and do it again from somewhere else. It is a bit hard to disapear when there is a trail of smoke pointing right at you.

Kind Regards walker

Phantom

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2002, 06:15:35 »
Snipers are more spec ops

Sorry mate but they're not, yes they do have a high level of training with their rifles and their fieldcraft, that doesn't make them Special Forces. Talk to people in Special Forces and they won't tel you that a Sniper is part of the SpecOps community. If they're a Sniper in a Special Forces Regiment or something like that, then of course they are, but otherwise they're just a Sniper.

Phantom

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2002, 07:11:48 »
If you are of the mind that the US Marines are elite forces of a sort, and the Marine Scout Sniper are among the most highly skilled soldiers in that force, then the argument might be made that they are special forces.
Considering their secretive operating procedures, independence from command, insertion/extraction methods, equipment and weapons choice, and the fact they are tasked directly from/representatives of headquarters- all makes them special forces in my book.

Phantom

« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2002, 05:40:24 »
It's fine to have an opinion of the Marines as elite forces, but they're not as far as I know the elite of the US forces are the 160th SOAR, SOFD-Delta and the Navy SEALs. I find it hard to believe that a person who's in the military would consider the Marine Scout Sniper's Special Forces, because they're not, so like I said, they can have all the control over their misions they want, and all the skill in the world, but they're not officially Special Forces as far as I know. If you think that they deserve to be Special Forces in "your book", go right ahead, but having an opinion of them as Special Forces makes no difference to the facts.

Phantom

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2002, 09:08:57 »
Well, Ok mate.
Granted, I don't think the "average" US Marine is an "Official" elite force... unless you compare them to just about any other force that does the same job from any other country.
But let's get back to the subject at hand...
I have read many books on the subject, have served in the military, and come from a long, distinguished line of soldiers. I understand the difference between "Official" SPECOPS units as opposed to unofficial ones, and know their names as well.
But I think we all realise there is much more to an unconventional warfare unit than a name or designation. It's about tactics and employment of a particular unit, not what you call them or some other identifier, like a badge or beret.
What makes them any less special for you? It's not enough to be inserted by a DAP Pave Hawk behind enemy lines, at O-dark-thirty hours, to crawl like a snake across kilometers of open ground, to silently kill a trooper with a garrote or K-bar, to kill a specific target with a single well placed shot, and go through all of the above- AGAIN- while evading a now alert enemy intent on catching you, interogating you, and finally killing you in a very painful manner, because you are too dangerous to ever release back to the enemy. Does this sound like something just any soldier can do? I'll tell you something else, in "Official" elite units such as the ones you mentioned above, only their best candidates are selected for either medic, or, you guessed it- SNIPERS. That's because it takes a special kind of man to do the job.
I don't know what you do in the service, or if you ever served, but if you did anything like what I've described, then I'd have to say that was fairly special.

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2002, 02:27:30 »
anyway back on topic, would a sniper ever carry any AT?

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2002, 02:34:56 »
i think we should stary away from realism here and think what this is for...

this is a mission, for a game. This mission is meant to be fun and is not meant to be extremely hard.

now - give the guy AT if you reckon hes gonna need it more than once...

but IMHO u shud do without - there is nothing more tense than hiding in a bush as a T72 rolls past - or at a puch maybe a LAW with one rocket...

on a realism point of view - dont bother about realism too much - makes like harder - the playablility of the mission is more important... i say go for no LAW - but give the guy the option to gun down a RPG guy - then its all fair yeah?
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Captain Winters

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2002, 05:02:38 »
I would say no because that useally the job of the rifleman a sniper is nearly alaways with

Skaven

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2002, 15:24:44 »
This is interesting LOL  ;D
Well I've served on the Portuguese Special Forces not much time but time enough  ;D , and my small experience tells me that it makes no sense to give an AT to a Sniper specially because of two things, the Sniper would loose a lot of his Stealth/Camouflage ability, and specially he would have a lot of height in his back,and having a slow sniper just doesn't help. ;D
Nevertheless and as mentioned, in a mission for the game, well why not giving a Sniper an AT weapon? It may be handy, and he won't loose his camouflage (as long as you don't fire the AT  ;D ) and he won't be slower so why not?  ;D