Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Abandoned Armies  (Read 216185 times)

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Abandoned Armies
« Reply #1305 on: 01 Sep 2005, 18:17:25 »
In the anti-lag section of the readme just mention that a clean addon folder really helps.   Give links to the mod folder tute in the Ed Depot and Kegetys launcher.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Lean Bear

« Reply #1306 on: 01 Sep 2005, 20:04:41 »
I am kinda new to the Abandoned Armies thing (mainly cause I was away when the first versions were 'new' and up for testing), so I guess 1.3 is my first play.

Specs

2.8Ghz
Vet mode
Super AI on // I've never really noticed a difference anyway, so I like to think that this makes them smarter in some way :)

Note: ECP 1.071 running - big mistake, read on for details...

Intro

Excellent. Its nice to see some coloured text of a different format instead of white default text. And orange works well in this scenario. Nice use of music (haven't got round to unPBOing the mission yet) but could this contribute to the oevrly large file size? It would be much more attractive if it was slightly smaller (for my 56kbs modem it takes 1h 40mins to d/l :o)

Briefing

Good, again, the use of soundfiles on the different sections is somthing you don't see in OFP missions, nice touch.

Oh - one thing to mention. Its not a big deal, and I know you've put a lot of work and time into it, but with names like Tatyana, Nikolai and the like - it stunned me at first to hear a British voice.

Mission

Ok, on with the mission.

The boat thing has been discussed many times before, so I won't go over that in too much detail.

So, second time round - I actually go where the mission wants me too and where I don't. Up the fjord.

A good few minutes later I reach the summit and crawl around until I find the gap in the fence. Running form bush to bush, house to house I look for Unkie Nik. Approaching the dead people the sound files play - nice. But I didn't hold that opinion for long. A soldier comes running around a house and fires off a few shots. In the fog, rain and dark I can only just make out where he is form the flashes. Running past a wrecked ural I suddenly stop moving and unable to do anything, I watch in horror as the goon sneaks up behind me while I check dead bodies...

I retry having not saved up to that point and after another climb up the seemingly verticle, never-ending fjord, I decide to save so I won't have to climb it again if I die like last time. I 'know' (This is how I was think at the time of the second try - now I know better) that there is a guard patrolling around, so I rememebr to keep an eye out for him - there could be more anyway. I take a much stealthier route, first to the church, then on to the first non-ruined house I see. Sneaking from bush to bush, I get up close to the house and exploit the camera to look inside without putting myself in any danger. See the guard near the blocked entrance and move to a crouch to take him out through the window. I catch some movement out of the corner of my eye and figure there must be another one in the house. Crawling under the window I see him - but I don't even get into a crouch before I see a much more obvious movement. That damn goon who shot me from behind before (or so I presume) was scurrying around the houses to my left. I fire a few shots off and shoot him dead. I know that I've blown my chances of just popping up and capping the second guard in the house, so I go to the blocked entrance and take him out from there.

After picking up an M16 and looking around Vigny again, I go inside to find cousin Tatyana. The cutscene was good - I didn't encounter any problems with the positioning of the characters. Although in a later cutscene that shows the house again, a table that got shot up during the intial fight left the bottles of drink hovering in mid-air.

After Tatyana is shot by the 2 soldiers coming in to the town, I panic for just a moment. The soldiers haven't seen me, but amazingly they walk past/through me and the walls of the house as I leg it for the police Jeep. They don't even shoot me (or maybe they did but they were already inside the house, lying down and so just fired into the walls) but I was still in a state of shock and almost drove back down the fjord. After righting myself I went full speed with no lights on (so as to not attract attention) and almost total the vehicle on the barriers surrounding La Pessagne. I manage to pull away at the last minute and carry on vaugely in the direction of the mountain lodge. I plauck up the courage to go on the road again when I almost slam into a wrecked bus. I get out thinking that a soundfile would play if I stand over the bodies, but hear nothing so I get back in the jeep and drive on.

After meeting up with the civilians and that corresponding cutscene I ponder what to do next. The radio settles that for me. I give in to the pleadings of my men and end up leaving the 3-almost-all-related-though-thru-marriage to defend the base and take the Sarge with the Civil truck to collect the Civvies. No problems, no encounters with the enemy. Head back and after hearing the next set of options, I decide to go after the other civs. Again I take only the military men, leaving the lovebirds with possible-brother-in-law and head off in the truck again. The music is definately a good idea (but I guess you already know that :P) but it can also distract the player (their fault, of course) to other sounds that might be more important than Seventh's ramblings.

Get to the 2nd set of Civs and set them free. Then I go through the forest in the truck and think I'll go looking for the possible set of Civs to the East of La Trinite. Save the game and go to have something to eat.

Compatibility Bug: Come back and try to resume the mission (I wouldn't have any trouble going to the extra effort to get my last save point, as in, it wouldn't bother) but there's some sort of error. CTD. Load OFP again thinking it might be better now for some reason. Same thing, but this time I press 'Restart' instead of resume. Damn.

3rd time's the charm. I did pretty much the same thing - i was more worried about getting save games ot work. If I can't even get back into the mission to load the save - then that would mean I'd have to play the entire mission without exiting :-\ I don't think so :P

I was, sorry to say, a little bit p***ed off with OFP this time round and wanted ot go all out and shoot the crap out of all of the damn goons. I run up the fjord (obviously not literally) and jump in the Jeep. On my way past I see that there are in fact 3 goons inside the house - and one just runs out to investigate. ON the spot I decide to use this to my advantage. I jump in the jeep and start beeping the horn and flashing my lights. The idiot does indeed run out, and stand still in front of me. Hmm...strange, methought at the time. So, it was pedal to the metal and one dead good. Stealing his rifles I burst in the house and shot the other two taking a hit to my legs in the process.

Then it was almost identical again (except this time the soudn file played at the bus crash scene). The only other thing I noticed was that a chopper took particular intrest in me. Not shooting at me or anything, just circling around base, shining his light on me. Well, an quick AA shot will take care of that. Too bad I never got that far. Sleep beckoned and I figured I'd play better if I wasn't tired. So, I save and abort the mission. Only to find the same thing happened. This time I noted what the error message said and follwed it.

It went something like this:

Error: "\Users\Lean Bear\Saved\Abandonded Armies 1-30\continue.fps" - 'No Entry' at '\GameState\Variables\Item26\data.value.'

So I found 'continue.fps' and decoded it. It was over 8megs so it took a damn long time to do. Eventually it was done and I found the right place in the fps file and it read something similar to this:

class Variables
{
   ~~~~~~
Item26
{
data
{
type=ECP_Cast; // No idea what part of ECP this is :P
value=0.4178719; // Something like that - there was a value was the point I was getting at
};
};
};

Looks like it doesn't work so good with the older versions of ECP.

@MrN

I'm glad you got it to work with ECP 1.085. Its a mystery to me :P

Wel, now I'm just gonna do it normal-like, without ECP, heck, maybe I'll even do it on Cadet mode :P

I mean, I know there's the 'Save Game bug' - but this is sort of taking it to the extreme, don't you think?

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #1307 on: 01 Sep 2005, 20:14:29 »
I'm glad you got it to work with ECP 1.085. Its a mystery to me

I have yet to have the savegame bug with 1.085, I had them consistently with older versions. I highly recommend you update, the differences are nothing short of dramatic.

EG, all the blokes pouring out of the truck screaming their heads off @ Dourdan and the craters that appear under most destroyed tanks.  :o
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1308 on: 01 Sep 2005, 20:37:57 »
Lean Bear:
ECP 1.071 running - big mistake, read on for details...
I can guess even without reading on.

The large file size is due in part to the music.  That was v1.00 at about 4 Mbt.  Later I added a lot more cutscenes and hence sound files for the voices.  That took it to the current 15 Mbt.  The next version has a new music track so add another ½ Mbt for that.  1 hour and 40 minutes.  Gee you had better like it after that!

but with names like Tatyana, Nikolai and the like - it stunned me at first to hear a British voice.
Well I am British and so are my family.  Also I recon that a Malden islander listening to another Malden islander speaking in Maldanesse will sound like a Brit speaking to another Brit in English.  Just so long as the voices are a bit rustic.

The boat thing has been discussed many times before, so I won't go over that in too much detail.

So, second time round
;DLol!!  Did you find a chopper?

I watch in horror as the goon sneaks up behind me while I check dead bodies...
No consolation to you now, but these bodies are not there in the next version.

a table that got shot up during the intial fight left the bottles of drink hovering in mid-air.
Bugger.  That should be easy to fix.  Thanks.

The soldiers haven't seen me, but amazingly they walk past/through me and the walls of the house as I leg it for the police Jeep. They don't even shoot me
Thanks.  I always get my retaliation in first so this has never happened to me.  It will be fixed.

I get out thinking that a soundfile would play if I stand over the bodies, but hear nothing so I get back in the jeep and drive on.
It should, but you are not the first to have problems with is.  I will check.

Error: "\Users\Lean Bear\Saved\Abandonded Armies 1-30\continue.fps" - 'No Entry' at '\GameState\Variables\Item26\data.value.'
That is the large savegame bug you might have seen some of us talking about.  The only solution I know is
1. rename your savegame files
2. restart the mission from the beginning
3. Once you are in the mission alt tab out and change the names of your savegame files back to what they were
4. Back to the mission.  Press Esc and then reinstate your save game
I believe I recall some saying that this does not always work - but it always has for me.  The real solution is to disable ECP before playing the mission.

The problem is the number of variables that are saved with the save game, somehow OFP can't get them all back if there are too many.  ECP use a lot.  This mission uses a lot, together it is too much for OFP.  I have spent a lot of time reducing them (a 30+ reduction in the next version for instance and a reduction of a hundred or so since v1.00) and ECP did a lot of work reducing the number of variables in their latest version.

Thank you for your perseverance.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1309 on: 01 Sep 2005, 20:39:33 »
MrN:
all the blokes pouring out of the truck screaming their heads off
When you said that I thought you were using artistic licence.  I must look at the new version of ECP.  It sounds good.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #1310 on: 01 Sep 2005, 21:30:05 »
Ok, I can also report that the latest version of ECP does not seem to have any problems as far as the large savegame bug goes whilst playing this mission.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1311 on: 01 Sep 2005, 21:43:30 »
Hurray!!  I might even try it myself.

Mac:  I saw your advice on the readme.  Thanks.

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #1312 on: 02 Sep 2005, 00:18:40 »
When you said that I thought you were using artistic licence.
Nope, it does happen, it's ace.

More waffle…

Had a quick bash with a change of plan, this time go to Arudy. Brief skirmish and I get a message to put up the Malden flag. I'm guessing this means I've now made my mark…but get killed as I head back to the lodge.

--------------------------------------------

Curses, didn't update my savegame, probably not a bad thing because before most of my team were taken out by the sneaky sods coming to the lodge, so I prepare for them this time. I take the opportunity to reorganise my squad, nice touch. I get it now.

I'm still miffed about my treatment at Larche so I stock up on mines and drive to EE32 and mine the road there. No idea if it'll work but it makes me feel better.

Get back to the lodge and have yet to have a visit, so I sit and wait for a minute. I wait and wait, nothing doing so I move onto take Arudy again.

This time is not quite so straightforward, mainly because I get too bold. I end up in the town before I see anyone and have to hide in a bush while they run around trying to find me.  3 mg jeeps turn up as well to see what's going on but because I'm in a reasonably good defensive position I take them out. At this point the guys I've left at the lodge report an Abrams. Sighs. I get them to lie down and sneak off into some nearby bushes.

I get the message to put up the flag for Malden 3 times, not consecutively but 3 times all the same. Just as I do I hear a rumble in the distance. All of a sudden a whoosh of a tank shell flies over my head. Holy crap what is going on. The loon that's with me down in Arudy starts calling M1's and Vulcans. Gunfire is going off to the west of town. A tank explodes to the east of me and I hear more tank rounds firing off. I get near some rocks in the town and get a message I should be putting another flag up.

I seem to be in the middle of a warzone! A T72, M1 and Vulcan squad are engaging something somewhere, an MI17?, turns up and is attacked by the Vulcan. The Vulcan then gets a shell and blows to smithereens. I daren't show my face so I'm lying in a bush while all sorts of mayhem is going on 500 metres away to the east. I can hear a few grenades going off, a bit of small arms fire, then 7 reports another Abrams and a BMP somewhere. I see the BMP drive up to the outskirts of town,an Infantry squad get out and run down the hill to where all the noise was coming from. They then run back to the BMP and get in. Seems like an opportunity too good to miss. I wait for them to get in and launch an RPG at it.

As I run to the centre of town for some scavenging 7 reports another M1, jesus, how many are there! I keep an eye on him as he heads west up the hill just out of sight and notice something moving near where he was. HA, it's more red-flag dudes, I like these, they're pussies! I do a bit of close combat moving from house to house firing a few shots then moving to lure them into my killzone on the south side. The 5 of them are down but I've lost track of the M1 now. The things that encourage me are that he looks damaged and is another red-flag dude. I only have 3 RPG on me though so I'm not convinced I can do anything about it.

Lag is starting to get a bit more heavy, I'm now running around 10-14 fps.

As I get up and go to move into the town to see if I can see the Abrams, 7 reports it at 200 metres. Oh. I look in the direction and there it is bearing down on me, I pop off a couple of M16 rounds at it to make sure he gets the message and double back on myself to get at it from behind. I fire one rocket. Hide, reload. Double back again, distract him from another direction and come back round to launch another rocket up his backside. Once more and he's down. Yay!

Being as I've been told to get another flag up Dourdan seems a likely place. I get the message again and 7 runs to the flag pole in Arudy and changes it, must have missed that. Just as we do I spot some dudes to the north. Seems like 5/6 of them, uh oh, these aren't red flag dudes, that means trouble. We pull back nearer town and setup a defensive position, I start calling targets using the binoculars while 7 gets busy with an M60. As we're doing this a single red-flag mongrel sneaks up on us and takes us out from the west with a single grenade. Thank the flashpoint gods for savegames!

I reload and rather than stay in Arudy where I feel we've outstayed our welcome I pinch a MG Jeep and head off to Dourdan. The single dude that I left much earlier when I pinched the ammo truck is still running around. Probably wondering where all his mates went. 7 introduces him to some lead and Dourdan is clear. I guess that flag must be mine for the taking now but it's not changing. I update my savegame and retry while it's quiet.

I'm looking at the map wondering what to do next while the flies are buzzing around my previous rampage. La Trinite is having a certain draw for me, I was going to have a look earlier but got distracted. I remember someone saying that was where the convoys met so I'm guessing the ammo stashes there should be plentiful. I feel the need for a silenced weapon now. I'm guessing I'm going to have to be sneaky if I want to start heading north.

I get in the jeep and order 7 in, while I'm waiting I have another look at the map. That's when I notice an icon where the jeep is. Huh? If I'm to presume something from this it's that my jeep needs repairing.
Move up N/E to have a peek into La Trinite, get out have a look at the map to mark where I've left the jeep and notice that the icon hasn't moved. Penny drops I think, I could have sworn there was a T80 carcass where that icon was. Have they fixed it? Bastards, it took me an age to take that damn thing out!

7 spots an enemy ural to the south of town. The place is looking pretty deserted though so I run down, sneak around and spot some ammo crates. Get the message about the AP/AV mines, look at the instructions in the radio and chuckle to myself. I'm DYING to find a good place for these. I then wonder if you've used them…

I take some more RPG's and sneak round the back of the truck, the engine is still running but all the passengers are blood-stained with their heads hanging down, damn shame. I take no risks and put a rocket up its tail pipe. I get some more rockets and load up the jeep. I then do something that I may regret later but I'll deal with it then. I mine the hell out of La Trinite, paying particular attention to the north side.

As I'm scratching my chin again looking at the map 7 reports a couple of tanks to the north of us. I now notice that the fog seems to drawing in again. Noooooooo.  I get back into a bush and look out over the town, just as I do a T80 and M2 scream down to where the destroyed truck is. Grrr, guess where I didn't put any mines.

As I'm keeping tabs on the tanks which have headed off in the Dourdan area 7 reports some loons. There must be 7/8 of them heading from the north, as I cuss my luck I hear a mine go off to the far south. Heh, that must have been the T80 in Dourdan. That should provide a decent distraction, the M2 certainly seems to have got all interested. Just as I am getting a bit smug and thinking they'll all go off to investigate, the M2 heads straight towards me, gets about 200m away and drops a load of troops. Fab. The troops start heading straight towards me and then sweep away south, phew, the M2 follows shortly after, the turret then swings right in my direction and starts shooting at something. It turns out to be MY bloody jeep. Completely unprovoked attack, I damn them all to hell as my jeep and my rocket stash go up in flames. I'm aware that I'm swearing a lot and have to go back over this to edit a lot of it out…

My position has obviously been compromised now so I head around to the north to find some other cover, as I'm running I can hear the karump of rockets firing off into the distance and some small arms fire. Someone is keeping busy. I find some cover, let 7 catch up then carry on, just as get to a rise some AK fire heads straight towards me, I hit the deck quickly as I check my ammo, 2 clips, not good. There's about 6 guys running straight towards me, I shoot one just as he goes to lob a grenade at my position, I've been injured so my targeting is getting lapse, one after another they try to flank me and run at me while I mow them down constantly watching my ammo. After I got them all I had 14 rounds left, I stock up again and move on. I get to a hill that overlooks the road north of La Trinite and 7 reports some more armour. There's definitely some serious action going on here.

I sneak up to where the armour is and it looks like a convoy, BMP, Vulcan and 2 trucks stopped on the outside of town. I check my RPG ammo, 3 rounds, 4 targets, hmmmm. Lady luck favours the brave I guess, the Vulcan is the first to go down, reload, BMP goes down, 1 of the trucks blows up in sympathy and I pop the other truck. Yeah baby. I may be doing ok but I definitely am feeling out in the open so move off s/e to a big bunch of rocks to regroup with 7 and to save the game!

During this little adventure my FPS dropped to 6/7.

I head north east just to get away from that area, it's a little warm for my liking and stumble across the fence for the airport where Andropov is. Hmmmm, it's light, the visibility isn't too bad, I see a few dead bodies scattered around so I'm guessing the defences round here have been compromised. I see a lone MG'er on the entrance. I can also hear the crump of rocket fire going off into the distance so I take this opportunity to move in.

I tell 7 to target the MG as I move up, he does his job and it turns out the bodies I'd seen weren't bodies at all. I manage to get the dude lying by the house and move up to the entrance, I get the guy there and as soon as I do I get a sniper bullet clean in the forehead and drop to the deck like a sack of spuds. Damn, that changes things.

That's me about done for this round. I now need some PTSD counselling…

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #1313 on: 02 Sep 2005, 03:30:50 »
@MrN

Don't you feel a tad guilty at all the chaos you're causing?

@Thobson

>mods folders and addons

here is Ofpec's reference written longhand so you can copy paste to readme

http://www.ofpec.com/includes/download2.php?id=1146

it's Hawkins write up on the subject (along with Keg's launcher) and about says it all.

Here is an interesting whizzmo (not related to above) you might want to look at.

http://www.ofpec.com/includes/download2.php?id=975
Just say no to bugz

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1314 on: 02 Sep 2005, 10:00:09 »
MrN
So you are enjoying it then?  6-7 fps is not too bad in that situation especially given you are running ECP as well.  Lower than I would have liked, but just okay I guess/hope.

Once again a wonderful story, thank you,  and good luck.  I will re-read your account when I get home to see if there is anything I should change - so far I can't think of any.  By the way I think you realsied that the 'another flag up' message related to where you were, during the fighting one of the soldiers must have run to the flag pole and changed the flag,  you probably had other things on your mind at the time and so did not see it happen.  If you get the message and don't do it yourself one of your team will if they are close enough and not in a vehicle.

Mikero
Thanks.  I have put in the readme file a link to the ofpec page that contains Hawkin's tutorial, a link to K's site where his OFP Launcher is kept and a link to the ofpec page that has your pristine addon's list.  The second link you provide will need to remain a mystery to me for a little while longer as I still haven't got round to giving myself rar capability.
 ::) :-[
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2005, 10:02:47 by THobson »

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1315 on: 02 Sep 2005, 19:41:28 »
Okay I am now just going through the long list of things all of you have picked up.  I won't deal with each of them here, just the oddities:

- 'Old' woman at Dourdan.  Several of you mentioned something about her being old.  I did not think I had said anything that would give the impression she was old.  I have just done a search of the script and description.ext to find 'old' and nothing relating to her came up.  Did I imagine the comments?  Have I missed something in my search?

- Cutscene at Dourdan kicks in when the player is too far from the ladder.  You may recall that in an earlier version the cutscene kicked in at the top of the ladder.  Oh! that's right, due to a feature in OFP the 'Climb the Ladder' action vanishes during the mission so the cutscene was not accessible except to the most athletic players that could some how run or jump up the ladder.  For that reason I moved the trigger point to the bottom of the ladder.  Unfortunately 'Climb the Ladder' is there at the beginning of the mission and if the player is quick enough to start climbing the ladder before the cutscene starts then horrible things happen to the cutscene.  So I trigger the cutscene while the player too far from the ladder to have been able to start climbing it.

- Seeing a blank wall instead of Alexi during the Dourdan cutscene.  As far as it has been reported this only happened for Mikero.  Other strange things also happened for Mikero elsewhere relating to items being displaced slightly on the map.  I am inclined to treat this as a one-off glitch.  

As ever comments welcome.

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #1316 on: 02 Sep 2005, 20:09:17 »
Don't you feel a tad guilty at all the chaos you're causing?
Lol, it's either them or me. I didn't notice the action menu option "Use Diplomacy". ;)

So you are enjoying it then?  6-7 fps is not too bad in that situation especially given you are running ECP as well.  Lower than I would have liked, but just okay I guess/hope.
Yup. I wouldn't have written (so far) nearly 4500 words on it if I didn't. It makes a refreshing change to not know what the hell is going on for all the right reasons. The whole island is going crazy. I said earlier that my usual tactic is blowing a mission to pieces on my own, I just needed to find a way of doing it.  :)

anything I should change

I can't say I've noticed anything, there may be "background" stuff that I'm unaware of that needs tweaking but so far it's going sweet.  

I mention the FPS just as an observation, I can quite happily put up with it considering all the madness that is going on,as you've said before:
Even just what you did and what happened and what you saw.  Often that is enough for me to spot something I want to change, even though the person telling the story doesn't realise it.

:)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #1317 on: 03 Sep 2005, 01:45:48 »
Lol, it's either them or me. I didn't notice the action menu option "Use Diplomacy".

PLEASE, do not give this bloody author any further ideas.
Just say no to bugz

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1318 on: 03 Sep 2005, 04:52:57 »
 ;D Lol.  
My wife would agree with that.

Actually - so would I, now.
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2005, 04:54:40 by THobson »

Lean Bear

« Reply #1319 on: 05 Sep 2005, 22:18:58 »
OK, now that I'm stuck in the middle of everything like I'm supposed to be (without ECP running), I've managed to get a lot further by having save games that work :)

A couple of things I noticed (Some of these may have been mentioned before - in that case, you can just skip over them):

• There's some sort of bug with the re-ordering your squad ability. Its happened only a couple of times - but to me its really pretty crucial.

Basically, after reordering my squad one time, I noticed that when we stopped running (while in formation). Evryone stopped and then turned around to face the opposite way to the direction we were just runing into :P

Reordering them again a couple of times seemed to eventually get them facing the right way.

• The fog. Its starting to bug me, I'm afraid. I know this is meant to be a hard and challenging mission, but when all you can see is a big grey mass about 50m in front of you - you don't stand a chance against the enemy. It really bugged me when I was pointing out units to my men (and vica versa) but I couldn't see who or where these people were. Then a shot comes out of nowhere and kills me.

I had that experience earlier on too. I was merely minding my own buissiness in a truck, rolling down the hill in the countryside and then BLAM! A tank scores a direct hit on my truck. Then a vulcan makes sure I'm toast. They must have been at least 500m away. How's a gunner, looking through a hole about the size of your hand, in thick fog and rain, in the inpenetrable dark going to be able to do that? Not too realistic if you ask me...

I set my View Distance higher in the end, and that helped - but it meant the lag was much more noticeable throughout the mission.

I was just wondering what other players' video settings are whilst palying this mission?
[/list]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than that it was a great couple hour's gaming :)