Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Why still Operation Flashpoint?  (Read 5109 times)

Petra S.

Why still Operation Flashpoint?
« on: 25 Oct 2004, 12:20:21 »
Hello everybody,

first let me introduce myself: My name is Petra and I'm an editor at GameStar, Europe's biggest pc-gaming-magazine. Right now I'm working on an article about games, that are already forgotten  -- among normal players. What I want to put emphasize on, is that there are games, that are technically outdated, but still have a big fan-community that supports the game, adds new features etc.
For that I need statements from players and - more important - from people that create new content. In the statements I like to read, why you stick to that game after all this years. What's so fascinating about it?

So, if you like to tell me, why Operation Flashpoint is still one of your favourites and why you support that game, please let me know. The mail-address is: pet@gamestar.de
And please, could you add your real name to the mail? That's important for the quotes in the article.

Thanks in advance,
Petra

RED

Re:Why still Operation Flashpoint?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2004, 12:27:31 »
You could post this in the BIS forums, you will get the biggest responce there.

I am still still playing Operation Flashpoint mainly because of the great community that goes with it. People are still churning out addons on a daily bases and are in most cases willing to help each other to further improve the game.

Graham Green
RED

Offline hubba

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2004, 12:45:09 »
Simple answer for me is that it's currently the best military simulator around.

Granted.. Americas Army, Ghost Recon, Full Spectrum Warrior may be prettier, but none of them are even close to simulator status. In too many areas they have cut corners to make it more mainstream and appealing to the CS crowd out there.

But OFP is the only game today which is easy to do Co-operation missions with your squad plus that it's the most expandable and accessable game out there.

For team vs team, Team deathmatch, capture the flag etc type of gameplay there are many better games all competing for that huge corner of the market. But for the dedicated crowd who wants to play realistic scenarios not against another team, but rather together against a common enemy there just simply isn't any other game out there that comes close.

Offline ryankaplan

• Members
  • yeah...
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2004, 13:00:27 »
in my view, there are many reasons why ofp is still very popular. Firstly the freedom Operation Flashpoint gives you is immensly bigger than any other game out there. You do what you want, the way you want to do it.

my personal reasons for still playing ofp would be;
*maps are massive with no loading times between sectors.
*You can get almost every sort of vehicle, especially with some addons.
*Never played any other game, which needs so much teamwork in multiplayer. Be a rambo first, die first.
* The Editing: thousands of ofp missions made by editors are out there. If you play each of them once, they will last you until there is a macdonalds on the moon.

hope this helps. Ryan Kaplan, 16, Kent/England

djackl

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2004, 13:02:38 »
Darn the Gamestar website is in German  :-\
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2004, 13:02:48 by djackl »

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2004, 13:59:43 »
  • The general mature attitude in the community
  • The large maps and freedom of play - go where you want to, do what you want to
  • The outstandingly easy and good way to make your own missions and enhance them to no limits
  • Simulation type gameplay - you die easily and genuinly regret it
  • Multiplayer with real teamwork feeling to it
  • The hundreds and thousands of community made addons
Not all is lost.

BronzeEagle

« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2004, 16:13:17 »
It's a nice game to play when you have such large environments with all the vehicles and all the trees.  Thats a big thing to have forests in a game.  Plus the addons.  I like the addons too.  

bn880

« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2004, 16:25:16 »
Interesting how the e-mail address provided is refusing e-mails.   ;D

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2004, 16:33:42 »
Worked for me.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

bn880

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2004, 16:34:23 »
I tried both from my local provider and Hotmail, and it does not work.  Curious.  ???

<pet@gamestar.de>:
217.110.94.5 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 Your envelope address, username or domain is blacklisted at this site.
Giving up on 217.110.94.5.

Hotmail blocked too?  ;)
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2004, 16:35:49 by bn880 »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2004, 16:36:31 »
Lol you should know by now that computers are not rational.     Probably a temporary server problem at their end or something, I sent mine yesterday.    Or maybe there's a server problem with my ISP and I just haven't received the rejection notice.   ;D
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

bn880

« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2004, 16:38:59 »
In the mean time, I have this thing written up and don't know how to get it to the destination.   8)  

Hmm, I'll have to think of something.  :)  Let me know anyone else if this address worked for you.  Or Petra if you are around.... what's up with this.

RED

« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2004, 16:41:26 »
Nope the address isn't working for me either, I will try again tomorrow.

RED

bn880

« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2004, 17:02:43 »
I have tracked down a redaktor named Petra Schultz at Gamestar,  the e-mail should be petra@gamestar.de

I will let you know.

Nope, also blocked.

« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2004, 17:22:22 by bn880 »

djackl

« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2004, 17:26:52 »
it worked for me, although the email she sent the reply on was pschmitz@gamestar.de