Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "Battle Royale" MP level  (Read 23488 times)

DBR_ONIX

Re:"Battle Royale" MP level
« Reply #45 on: 30 Aug 2004, 20:48:15 »
Good idea about the ranom person to play as ;)
Amazon says the film hasn't been released :P
Just remebered another site ;)
Play.com has battle royale 1, 2, CE, urm, them all?
BR 1 is only £8  :o
- Ben

djackl

« Reply #46 on: 30 Aug 2004, 21:47:54 »
Were there tanks for the people to take in the movie? Maybe in the interests of gameplay we should take out all vehicles with guns and take out some of the heavy artillery such as rocket launchers too to create a real sense of helplessness  ;D

Matt Walter

« Reply #47 on: 30 Aug 2004, 21:50:58 »
I don't even think the soldiers even had tanks.

Lean Bear

« Reply #48 on: 30 Aug 2004, 22:14:53 »
Hey, sorry about the delay. I was about to post the mission but first I had to fiddle around with it so no addons were needed or anything. Then I came upon something to do with the markers. So now I can randomly get one marker to move to the right place, but then it stops and I want it to loop. There is a loop in the script but it doesn't appear to work. Anyway at the ed of this post there is a zip file with a crappy overview and breifing just to set the scene. The folder has all the scripts needed to help sort out the "forbidden zones" problem.

So, I'd finished messing around with it and was about to post it but a member of my family was on the phone for what seemed like 2hours!!!

Okay! Question answering time!!!

I don't even think the soldiers even had tanks.

Yeah, they do. In the film anyway. In shots of the School building you see tanks and choppers in the place where at the end Takeshi (Sakamochi) is doing those exercises.

You know the two none students in the movie- one of them is the guy Lean Bear was talking about- there should have a different clothes then everyone else.

I forget his name, but the kid that but a virus on the military computer, he should have a computer... just an idea.

Kazuo Kiriyama: the one I explained about earlier - he just wears the same clothes as the others. In the film he has the most noticable hair. In the book he has slicked-back black hair. Like some yakuza boss. 8)

Shogo Kawada: In the film, the guy with the yellow headband and the wicked pump-action shotgun. He takes off his jacket straight away and wears for the remainder of the film: a green vest and an un-buttoned shirt.

Shinji Mimura: "The Third Man". The star shooting guard of the school. Also the guy who hacks the mainframe at the Scholl building. You're kinda contradicting yourself aren't you? If all the weapons etc. are random why should he have a computer. Besides, in actual fact he finds the computer (Macintosh PowerBook 150) in a house that he passes. Basically, if we hide a laptop somewhere in the island (Hey! It could even be randomly placed seeing as were so good at that! ;D) then whoever finds it can use it to try and disable the collars.

One more thing... didn't the main character get a lid and that killer guy gets a fan at first?

Yeah, that was in the film. There is a character list on a website a posted a link to earlier that has all the weapons they used, who the killed, where they died etc. My list was taken from the book and, to be perfectly honest, it has more usable weapons (instead of a fan, there is a knife as with the bin-lid)

djackl

« Reply #49 on: 30 Aug 2004, 22:56:22 »
Basically, if we hide a laptop somewhere in the island (Hey! It could even be randomly placed seeing as were so good at that! ;D) then whoever finds it can use it to try and disable the collars.

Yeah, and he can choose whos collars he wants to disable so you should make friends with any1 just in case they find the laptop.

Is this going to be a role play scenario then, say if u r kiriyama you have to be a evil killing machine. I would rather all the players are unidentifiable with the movie so people can make up their own minds as to how their characters act
« Last Edit: 30 Aug 2004, 22:56:55 by djackl »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #50 on: 30 Aug 2004, 23:22:01 »
I took a look at the map that was posted here depicting the island.

I removed everything from the map.......roads......buildings......text.......etc......etc.

I then processed the result and got it into WrpEdit.

Now, the island is there (see picture below), but, unfortunately it is mostly featureless.....gentle rises and dips.

This is mostly what I expected, because there is no real elevation data to work with.

If you want to play with the resulting .wrp file, I will gladly post it here (if I can squash it down enough), or email it to you.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

djackl

« Reply #51 on: 30 Aug 2004, 23:31:05 »
Cool  8)

Matt Walter

« Reply #52 on: 31 Aug 2004, 01:36:44 »
...I guess they did have tanks then... Lean Bear and I have been battling it out about the vehicles.

The movie isn't as focused in the details as the book. I thought Shinji Mimura (the "hacker") had the computer in his suit case... well that just shows how much I know.

Anyway, we should have as little downloads as possible, people don't want to have to look all over the place for each download to play. One moddish download would rock.

To answer djackl question, I think this should be a role play/ deathamatch. You can just follow what the soldiers say by killing until one is left, or you could try and get off the island. The briefing should include something like "We have to kill each other, but maybe there is another way". It would get people thinking.

Also if the players decide to take out the soldiers, none of the weapons are really good for tanks and all. There should be hidden anti-tank and anti-air weapons in soldier territory.

I have an idea about text messages, instead of the radio chat, there should be a "talk" chat - meaning: whisper (like when an enemy is close, you can whisper to your friend. The range other players see the text that is typed is small), normal (The range is bigger then whisper), yelling (the range is pretty big), and megaphone (The range is HUGE and you can try and make peace with everyone and stop the fighting. Also is you are close enough to hear it, the map will be marked were the megaphone person is. This option is available only if the person has the megaphone - or when ever you us it, instead of text, a message that says something like "Stop fighting, we can find another way" comes up- there should be more then one megaphone and they are randomly place in the island.)

I have an idea for respawns. When you die, you respawn as a soldier... well I don't know if that is a good idea because the respawn players will probably look for the kids and hunt them down and encourage deathmatch... which I think is bad, but it is something to think about.

One more thing, mission over cutscenes. There should be about two different cutscene at the end. One, showing the winner doing something... I don't know, is there a way to make the winning player show in the cutscene instead of the same unit all the time. You could even have the characters name appear and say ______ wins. Although it didn't happen, it would give it a dark flare if the character kills them selves because they feel bad about all the deaths they caused- just an idea. And if most escape, there could be a movie part about them leaving.

Ok, really this is the last thing I have to say for now. You know in the move, it says when someone dies and who many people are left; I think it would be really sweet if when someone dies, it says who died and how many players are left.  
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2004, 01:53:04 by Matt Walter »

Lean Bear

« Reply #53 on: 31 Aug 2004, 12:30:52 »
edit
When I ried to post this the first time the filename for the picture was already used and abused so I went back and now I have to write it all over again. So, I miht miss something out and it will be considerably shorter.

The movie isn't as focused in the details as the book.

Another thing the film missed out, which it definitely should have included was a wicked high speed car chase between Kazuo (in a mini-van blasting rounds out from his Ingram) and Shogo, Shuya and Noriko (In a truck - like the one that in the film Shinji Mimura rigs with all the explosives - with Shuya sticking out of the sun-roof and Noriko blasting away from the passenger window). And when both sides run out of ammo Shogo and Kazuo have a ramming competion while speeding through the main residential area. Then, after Shogo rams Kazuo (van and all) into a farm building, all apears to be over, before Kazuo finds some more ammo and then the gun battle takes place like the one in the film.

Also if the players decide to take out the soldiers, none of the weapons are really good for tanks and all. There should be hidden anti-tank and anti-air weapons in soldier territory.

If we do decide to include any heavy artillery it should be heavily guarded by soldiers. (Let's face it; if we set the soldier AI really high and give them good weapons then it would definitely be a challenge for a little girl with a fork to get to them ;D). Also, I don't think the soldiers should use them - just to make it fair.

If we put a trigger around the school building area (ie. including about a 50/ 100metre diameter around the school) and set it to something like this:-

Activation: Resistance (we would have to make the models for the kids as resistance so the soldiers would fire on them easily)

Frequency: Repeatedly

Type: None/ Switch

Condition: this

OnActivation: soldiers/groupname doFire guer (or: = true // to take off the hold fire command)

OnDeactivation: [] exec "init.sqs"

And, obviously, in the "init.sqs" we have something like:-

soldiers/gropupname not(doFire) = true //or whatever.

Thanks goes to Planck. I will try and post it on my website so anyone who thinks they can improve on it and put trees and stuff on it can do just that. The picture showing the elevations of the terrain is on a file at the end of this post.

Is this going to be a role play scenario then, say if u r kiriyama you have to be a evil killing machine. I would rather all the players are unidentifiable with the movie so people can make up their own minds as to how their characters act

I think we should use the characters from Battle Royale to make faces, names, models etc. but if you do happen to pick to play as Kazuo, you don't have to be some psycho guy.

Has anyone downloaded the .zip file I posted here about the "Forbidden Zones" thing? In the folder there was a briefing and an overview. I just quckly wipped them together using Chris's OFP Script Editor. I know the Overview works okay. But in the Breifing I can't get everything to line up right.
!!!!!IMPORTANT!!!!!
If you downloaded it, make sure to run it either in the mission editor or in single player NOT multiplayer.

Anyway, the breifing went something like this, constructive criticisms welcomed:-

Plan

Basically it explains the rules says the Program number etc.

Objectives

1. Be the last one remaing, thus winning the game.

2. Try and escape (hah!) etc..

Notes

It just says things like: What should I do, I hope I get a good weapon. Dould I try and team up with someone. Can I trust anyone. Can anyone trust me. Hmmm. Maybe I can exploit someone else's trust. etc.

End1

Congratulations!
Thank you for participating in this year's Program. Your card signed by The Dictator is on its way to your last given address.

End2

Death
As your eyes slowly close into a deep sleep, you can't help but wonder how the Greater Republic of East Asia became so sadistic...

End3

Impossible!!
Somehow you've managed to escape the island. Enjoy your freedom for it shall be short! Your parents and family are most likely being brutally murdered. Your fate shall be the same.
Congratulaions, you are now a fugitive wanted in over half the world!

Needs work, I know.

About the "This Zone Will Be Forbidden In 5 Minutes" topic. I think it would be better if they appeared as hints instead of white text that will dissapear after a short time. If it was on a hint, you could recall it if you didn't see it the first time because you were smacking the bejeebers out of someone with a baseball bat! ;)

One more thing, mission over cutscenes. There should be about two different cutscene at the end. One, showing the winner doing something... I don't know, is there a way to make the winning player show in the cutscene instead of the same unit all the time. You could even have the characters name appear and say ______ wins. Although it didn't happen, it would give it a dark flare if the character kills them selves because they feel bad about all the deaths they caused- just an idea. And if most escape, there could be a movie part about them leaving.

Remember in the film, at the start, there were these news pictures on a TV of the 11th Program's winner. Remember the image of the little girl with the sadistic-hysterical-psyhcopathic smile hugging her little teddy-bear? (for me the creepiest bit in the film - if you don't remember, watch it again). Well, using the command setMimic. We could make a really demented face for the winner at a cutscene at the end.

OK, now for a couple of questions:-

1) Should the mission have a soundtrack. It could be something catchy or comething chilling to set the scene. I don't recall any particular music from the film, (it was probably drowned out by the screaming and Xplosions) but I will check.

2) How long should the mission, approximately, take? In the film it could last for up to 3 days. (We will need to cut that down a bit ;D). This will giveme an idea as to the delays between forbidden zones and the announcements. In the film the announcements happened at 6:00am, 12noon and 6:00pm.

3) I think, as the GPS is a "weapon". That players should have a map and a compass (just like in the film). So you would have to nagigate around using distinctive points (like the scholl, lighthouse etc.). And the person who gets the GPS as a weapon gets it. Also, the GPS not only showed the location of the user, but also the location of the other players (that's the advantage). We could define that in the description.ext and make a new weapon using markers that follow the oter players around.

djackl

« Reply #54 on: 31 Aug 2004, 12:40:51 »
I'll have a look for some music if you want, what kind of events will the music be brought in at?

Lean Bear

« Reply #55 on: 31 Aug 2004, 12:42:37 »
Probably cutscenes mostly. Perhaps some in-game music as well played low? Like that really tense heartbeating stuff from horror movies. ;D

djackl

« Reply #56 on: 31 Aug 2004, 12:43:30 »
Will deaths be shown in cutscenes aswell?

Lean Bear

« Reply #57 on: 31 Aug 2004, 12:45:15 »
I dunno. That could slow the game down if, whenever someone dies there is a cutscene. Mybe the last person to die can have a cutscene all of their own.

djackl

« Reply #58 on: 31 Aug 2004, 12:47:01 »
Or maybe when there are only two people left it does a cutscene and shows which players are the last ones.

Lean Bear

« Reply #59 on: 31 Aug 2004, 12:48:47 »
Could do. What if the last few are the ones who have formed a close alliance and are trying to escape or kill Takeshi (Sakamochi)?