Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Band of Brothers  (Read 6013 times)

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
Re:Band of Brothers
« Reply #15 on: 24 Dec 2004, 11:49:01 »
I think its a great idea  ;D , but i've thought of afew things.

Who are you going to play as in each mission? Is it always going to be the same guy, or are you going to make it the main character in each mission (as in, D-day was Lt Winters, Market garden was Bull Randleman etc). It would help to have some variety  ;)

Is it going to be completely accurate to the film? I mean, in the D-day mission, are you going to make it so Lt winters only has a knife as a weapon?

Hard huh?  ;)

But if you do pull this one off, a hell of a lot of people will download it  8)
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: 24 Dec 2004, 11:51:07 »
u wont have any problen from HBO as you can say you are just copying Easy company through ww2 they cant say anythin bout that unless any1 from e-company complain

Rokket

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2004, 00:23:43 »
Some thoughts:

It's a great idea because so much work already done: atmosphere, plot, characters, etc.

But I agree with others that only parts of it are suitable for OFP. Real life can be boring in parts, so when you make a movie or game you have to choose the best, most interesting parts. In OFP we have the added problem ofmaking everything work. I would say pick 4-8 or maybe more, 10, super exciting episodes. The first misison, taking out the 88s (which turn out to be 105s?) was fantabulous: everything OFP is good at...squad takes on a 4-gun emplacement guarded by MGs, soldiers firin the guns, getting the enemy confused so one gun crew fires on another, etc. 1 man lost, then when reinforcements come the idot squad leader gets killed, etc. And a real need to take out the guns, which turn out to be diff than the ones they thought they were attacking.

In same vein, the town battles are scary and amazing. So was ardennes, altho that was essentially avoiding artillery and hoping for best.

The concentration camp would be difficult and boring...you'd probably need new civ prisoner addons. The trainign camp Caheugee (whatever it was) might not work geat in OFP (have you used the obstacles course stuff? Clipping and wall weirdness), but if it ws mostly a cut-scene intro, and short training, combing it with para training and few training jumps, it could be an awesome set-up/training mission to add atmosphere.

Just my thoughts. Def also need the ceme-de-la-creme of the WW2 addons/mods.

It is exciting and maybe could be a Team Effort - not just assigning duties but maybe "episodes"...

PS - Legality of title - tho I'm not an expert, I deal with this stuff a bit: titles (and ideas) can't be copyrighted, tho film titles can be registered for a few years so that other films can't use the same title for a certain amount of time. (note for merchandising some titles are registered as Trademarks, "R" in a circle, or applying for reg "TM" - these are protected, like the singer's name "Billy Joel", "Star Wars"). The story is history and while the books/films can't be copied, the story itself is public domain.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2004, 00:29:28 by Rokket »

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2004, 23:07:52 »
I agree. Training, and the rest of the non-combat missions would be boring.

However, you could add missions that arn't in the film. If you've read the book, you'll see what I mean. For a start, there were more towns (3 I thing  :P ) at bastoge (sp?) that had to be captured, but couldn't be put into the movie. The towns were also captured by the sides more than once.

Also, the carentan mission could be split into 2 missions. The first could be the capture of the town itself, the second could be that bit where they're passing through the field after, and meet the enemy armour.  ;)
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2004, 23:08:51 by greg147 »
RAAB

Rokket

« Reply #19 on: 26 Dec 2004, 01:21:10 »
Mmmm, adding scenes form book! Excellent. I like it.

Q: 1 - are any WW2 mods already working on this (and if not, why not?!)
2 - when do you get started?

Tomasz

« Reply #20 on: 26 Dec 2004, 23:43:46 »
Hmm :-\

I wasn't really thinking about making it. It was just an idea. Sorry for any disappointement. :hmm:

Tomasz

Gooner861

« Reply #21 on: 26 Dec 2004, 23:52:18 »
Well im sure sumone will take it up one day  ;)

Gooner

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: 27 Dec 2004, 10:41:25 »
Hey, even I may be tempted to make it when Inv44s mod comes out  :D
RAAB

Tomasz

« Reply #23 on: 27 Dec 2004, 11:21:42 »
I think one of the hardest parts in doing the series would be creating the long fire fights. In the series they last 10mins, while if you would put similar forces in similar positions to each other, the firefight would last 2-3mins.

We could ask the OFP WW2 guys in the community to do it, since they have most of the addons ( or all, even though some have not been released ) plus they wouldn't get bored in the process. There are a lot of great, really great editors in the WW2 buff section of our community, so I guess the quality of the missions would be high.

Overall, we should demonstrate that we can handle the challenge better than those two Poles ( who created the campaing I told you about ).

Tomasz

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2004, 11:40:33 »
Well, if I was making it, i'd do this for the firefights.

Invisible targets. Place 'em near the enemys position, and make the guys with .30 cals and MG42s target them. Place acouple more targets, and let the rest of the infantry shoot them randomly. You wouldn't get shot at much, but it would go on for ages.  ;)

Oh, and have acouple of triggers re-arming the machine gunners. Random explosions and a battle ambience sound going on in the distance.

Both sides have minimum skill for each unit.
RAAB

Tomasz

« Reply #25 on: 27 Dec 2004, 12:07:31 »
Nice thoughts out there greg.

Well, I already know what two parts would be my favourite ones:

the charge in the crossroads episode ( where Winters ran ahead of his company )

and the attack on Foy in Ardennes :D

Maybe make them before the rest of the series :P ::)

Tomasz

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #26 on: 27 Dec 2004, 12:41:09 »
The Foy one could be used on Johns new winter Ardennes map. Thats got haystacks and everything.  ;)

It would take very good mission maker to make them. It'll need alot of scripting. And you'd need to put 'setcaptive true' on the player just to keep him alive through some bits, like the cross roads.
RAAB

Rokket

« Reply #27 on: 28 Dec 2004, 00:11:19 »
Good ideas.

If I was doing a WW2 mod, this is the first thing I'd be working on, tho I guess the 1st thing is making the mod! Hmm, this would be such a great campaign.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #28 on: 28 Dec 2004, 10:22:17 »
I know someone who's making a WW2 mod, but its the Invasion of France early war mod. 1940 time. 4 years from D-day  ::)
RAAB

Rokket

« Reply #29 on: 29 Dec 2004, 10:58:20 »
I'm just watching BoB again (my wife found it dirt cheap on DVD so it's all mine now, blahahahaha), and it would be such a great campaign (I know I said that last post).  There are many great misisonmakers out there, they should be working on this campaign while the modmakers do their stuff...