Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Ballistic Addon Studios Update Thread  (Read 193395 times)

drow

Re:Ballistic Addon Studios Update Thread
« Reply #1410 on: 22 Apr 2004, 06:42:39 »
dudes,

i dont think anyone from BAS checks this thread...  ???

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #1411 on: 22 Apr 2004, 11:54:31 »
We do, we just dont reply to requests for pictures and release dates etc.

;)

DaveDash

« Reply #1412 on: 26 Apr 2004, 22:21:57 »
I'd like to say I've been using the BAS addons for a while, and in combination with I think it's Shuey's Marines, they're awesome. Now all we need are some modern Russian units. :)

However, my biggest gripe with these units (and this is the same with the Marines addon too) is that the weapons are WAY WAY too accurate.

The recoil on the machineguns is effectively nill, and AFAIK there is NO recoil on any of assault rifles. With the lack of cover in OFP having highly accurate weapons really ruins the atmosphere.

Not only this, the Tango machine gunners (like the old BAS saw gunners) fire in single shot mode. Not only is this extremely unrealistic, it negates the ability to use any fire dispersion scripts and makes it useless to tweak the accuracy. I find I end up using a whole heap of BAS units with standard BIS weapons, which is extremely cumbersome and tedious after a while.

I think if addon makers addressed this, it would lead to much more engaging firefights, and it would make the game a bit more challanging. It's far to easy to go in the prone fighting position and snipe off guys at 300m with the BAS weapons (including the SAW). I've shot many bolt action rifles in real life, and a couple of assault rifles (although never in combat, im not a soldier), and  proper bullet physics seem non existant with a lot new addons.

I could be wrong, and I could be being way off base here. I'm not trying to be putting down some excellent free work for OFP, but rather I am trying to perfect it. :) If the real things ARE this accurate maybe they should be made less so for the sake of the game ( to comprimise for lack of cover, etc )

In my mind, OFP is a hardcore squad level war game - not for your casual gamer, so I just want it to act like one! :)

Cheers
Keep up the good work.

Homefry31464

« Reply #1413 on: 26 Apr 2004, 22:42:05 »
Use the HD mags included with JAM2.  They make the weapons less accurate.

DaveDash

« Reply #1414 on: 26 Apr 2004, 22:57:40 »
I do.

That still doesnt address the issue of single shot machine guns, and HD makes hardly any difference to the Rangers/Delta it seems.
Not to mention since all the units are programmed to use single shot mode, a lot of the firefights sound like a whole heap of popguns going off.

I do believe the latest Ranger & Delta Saw gunners actually fire in fully automatic mode, which improves things dramatically, but when I use those said weapons (even HD/non HD models) I find it recoil to be virtually non-exisitant.

The recoil is a big issue because it makes the weapons far to easy to use for the Human player. I shouldn't be able to use the SAW like a sniper rifle. :)

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2004, 03:12:50 by DaveDash »

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #1415 on: 28 Apr 2004, 22:45:31 »
That still doesnt address the issue of single shot machine guns, and HD makes hardly any difference to the Rangers/Delta it seems.
Not to mention since all the units are programmed to use single shot mode, a lot of the firefights sound like a whole heap of popguns going off.

If you'd be kind enough to tell me which machineguns you are having these "single shot" issues with, I may be able to help you.

DaveDash

« Reply #1416 on: 29 Apr 2004, 02:05:47 »
If you'd be kind enough to tell me which machineguns you are having these "single shot" issues with, I may be able to help you.

All the ranger SAW gunners and Tonial OPFOR machine gunners (not sure of the weapon names sorry) fire rapidly single shots, making the game sound like a whole lot of popguns as I described earlier. If they are firing in auto mode, it really sounds like crap I'm afraid.

I want atmopshere damnit! :)

Having said all that, I had an extensive play around with HD last night from a players PoV and it does improve the game dramatically, no more can I take out 50 guys by myself. The recoil is still really unrealistic though.

Basically at the end of the day, I want long lasting engaging fights (like supposed real life) with atmosphere, and Im just not getting it from custom made units (but they look so damn good!).

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #1417 on: 29 Apr 2004, 12:03:40 »
All the ranger SAW gunners and Tonial OPFOR machine gunners (not sure of the weapon names sorry) fire rapidly single shots, making the game sound like a whole lot of popguns as I described earlier. If they are firing in auto mode, it really sounds like crap I'm afraid.

None of these weapons have single shot modes, so it is the sounds you (or your PC more precicesly) are having issues with.

What sort of soundcard are you running? Since when the firefights get heavy, the sounds do tend to "tear" and "warp" (which is most likely what your issue is)

Also, individual sounds HAVE to be played for each shot, since if you have a sound of say a ten round burst, and the machinegun fires a five round burst, then the sound is gonna be pretty wierd. To see what I mean, fire off 29 of your thirty rounds on a BIS M16, then switch to 3 round burst mode, and fire the last round in that mode. You'll see that whilst you only fire ONE round, you hear 3. Not the atmosphere you're looking for right?

I admit, the sounds in JAM are not the greatest, but they are the best we've got. If YOU have some better ones, please share them with us, so that we can improve the game for everyone.

Basically at the end of the day, I want long lasting engaging fights (like supposed real life) with atmosphere, and Im just not getting it from custom made units (but they look so d**n good!).

Not played properly with the HD units have you?

Run through the mini-campaign that came with Tonal, and you will see how much the HD weapons add to the games' atmosphere.

DaveDash

« Reply #1418 on: 30 Apr 2004, 03:52:16 »
None of these weapons have single shot modes, so it is the sounds you (or your PC more precicesly) are having issues with.

What sort of soundcard are you running? Since when the firefights get heavy, the sounds do tend to "tear" and "warp" (which is most likely what your issue is)

Also, individual sounds HAVE to be played for each shot, since if you have a sound of say a ten round burst, and the machinegun fires a five round burst, then the sound is gonna be pretty wierd. To see what I mean, fire off 29 of your thirty rounds on a BIS M16, then switch to 3 round burst mode, and fire the last round in that mode. You'll see that whilst you only fire ONE round, you hear 3. Not the atmosphere you're looking for right?

I admit, the sounds in JAM are not the greatest, but they are the best we've got. If YOU have some better ones, please share them with us, so that we can improve the game for everyone.Not played properly with the HD units have you?

Run through the mini-campaign that came with Tonal, and you will see how much the HD weapons add to the games' atmosphere.
Onboard creative labs soundmax I think. On my older computer I used to get that tearing problem (pressing ESC and then returning to the game would fix it), but not my new one.

To get an idea of my (and I do admit) over fussy problem, load up America's Army, give yourself the SAW, and let loose.

Then load up Operation Flashpoint, add in some of your units, and "listen" to the firefight. You will clearly see a huge difference resulting in a different atmosphere completely. Sure I could go and change the sounds myself, but I don't have any knowledge of that. In the end, I find I just add a whole heap of trigger sounds to my missions to spice up the atmosphere a bit.

The only reason I had a question wether or not your units using single shot mode as opposed to burst/automatic mode is because fire dispersion scripts do absolutely nothing when used on BAS units (yes I'm talking about the machine guns).

More specifically, I want the Tonail OPFOR to use burst (or auto more correctly on an AK-47) mode on their AK-47s too, so they act more like the typical African spray and prey militia. I'm sure I could change this myself actually, if there is any possible way to edit the JAM2 config files? (i.e. are they open source?).

I do agree that the Tonial OPFOR HD pack works extremely well, and that campaign was very challanging. As I stated in my previous post after playing around with the 1.5 Rangers/Delta with HD mags, it makes the game a lot more challanging (and closer to reality). I also found the sniper rifles to be much much improved.

Sorry if I appear to be "just-another-unappreciative-user", I don't mean to come across like that. I really _do_ appreciate the hard work you guys (and the rest of the community) put in, I am merely offering my (and not nessesarily correct) opinion. :)

Operation Flashpoint is the most played game I own (and I own many!) and that I believe is a tribute not only to BIS, but guys like BAS (and others) who keep the game alive with great work.

Tango Down

« Reply #1419 on: 07 May 2004, 22:57:27 »
now b4 i post this question please do not ask me to sift through 95 pages of this thread to find the answer to this which mite already be answered

When using the delta/ranger v1.50 pack you are unable to use the m4s with the aimpoint site...i comes up with a warning message basically saying it cant find the file which holds the site picture. Is there a patch yet or someway of fixing it as the Aimpoint site is the beez neez!

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #1420 on: 08 May 2004, 20:01:33 »
Usually, since your question has been answered a few times over the last 2 or 3 pages, I'd tell you to search for it (its not hard)

But, since the patch is now out, I'll say "check the BAS site"

STGN

« Reply #1421 on: 09 May 2004, 00:07:54 »
I think the recoile on the M4 is prity realistic I have fired the C7(M16A3) and it does have a very low recoile which JAM resemblence pritty good but the fact that when you are running whit normal tarain detail the land is very smoth and give no cover at all(I would realy like a fire fight on very high deatil it must be a total different expirence) HD weapons are good in the hands of AI but I hat them cause you cant hit shit more than 50m away(which is highly unrealistic).
STGN

Offline bugkill

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1422 on: 09 May 2004, 02:55:07 »
deadmeat,

i was wondering if you guys at BAS would consider giving some of the Delta operators unbloused bdu pants. some spec ops operators unblouse their pants (saw it alot while in iraq) and i think that it would go well with your addon. i know you guys got alot on your plate, but all you would have to change would be only 2-3 models for the desert and woodland units. i sent you and tigershark pics about this, but i never got a response back, so let me know what you think and here is a couple of pics.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2004, 02:56:42 by bugkill »

Offline bugkill

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1423 on: 09 May 2004, 02:57:34 »
another pic.

Offline bugkill

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1424 on: 09 May 2004, 02:58:55 »