Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: copyright on music  (Read 6110 times)

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:copyright on music
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2003, 11:00:09 »
here in the U.S.  the fourteenth amendment to the constitution guarantees equal protection under the law: this is like if you are at a party with 30 friends and everyone is underage but drinking still....   if the police show up  and they do not arrest everyone there.. they can't really arrest anyone (well they can...but good luck getting the charges to stick)

it's like the Kazaa thing... if you don't bust everyone then you're discriminating against the people you do bust....  

you could easy argue... "well if there are 4 million other people doing it then you must have picked me out of the crowd because  I have dark hair and green eyes" ::)

The police represents administrational authority. Civil rights are there to protect the citizens from unwarranted discrimination by the government, not by another citizen. Copyright law, however, is civil law. Civil law generally is about the relationship between citizens and/or (non-governmental) organizations. So the 14th amendmend won't help you very much when a copyright holder sues you and not someone else. He has the right to choose who he wants to sue and who not, even if it's just because you have dark hair and green eyes. How often in your life did you refuse a request because you didn't "like someone's face"? Well, I've done that (although it never was because things like dark hair and green eyes) and I'm sure everyone else has, too.

Regarding Copyright its self...  I was always under the impression that the World Intellectual Property Organization  (WIPO)   which is an arm of the UN was responsible for enforcing copyrights....

Well, copyright is protected by the national law in the first place. Unlike the European Union, the UN is not a supranational organization and so there is no genuine UN legislation. The WIPO doesn't directly enforce copyright law (more information about the WIPO's function can be found here). There are international treaties about copyright law (many international treaties don't involve the UN at all), but according to inernational law they have to be transformed into national law (this transformation is called "ratification") to be valid for a country. At the end it all comes down on national law again (and it will always be like this as long as we have souvereign countries and not a "world government").

but if your nation isn't a part of the UN there's really not much that can be done about it .....

179 countries are currently members of the WIPO. You'll hardly find one that isn't. And even if you do, they'll most probably have national laws about copyright protection.

Long story short: If you use copyright protected material without permission, the copyright holder can get you.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2003, 12:14:06 by Sefe »

RP

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2003, 19:40:00 »
If someone steals your computer, he violates your property right. You don't give a f**k if he wants to sell it or keep it for himself, do you?

Well Sefe, you're right about the computer, but i wouldn't mind if someone used my music in a OFP mission without my permission, if that person wasn't making a profit out of it (although i would like to be credited for that).
Afterall, this comunity is only possible because a lot of great people share their work and knolige (that includes all of you guys here in OFPEC as well as all the others everywhere, who give their contribution to the OFP comunity for free).

I too used to take copyright rather lightly in the past. But whoever has worked hardly a piece of art on or invested a lot of money in a computer program etc. and see his work disrespected or stolen will know how it that feels.

Don't get me wrong, being an author myself, i don't take copyright lightly. And even in situations copyright laws may not aply, i belive that moral issues are important and relevant.
I may have given the idea that i aprove abusive use of someone else's work or intelectual property, but that is not the case.
Thanks for the link to Berne Convention, i'll make shure i read it carefully.

Regards,

RP.

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 11 Jun 2003, 02:06:38 »
Well Sefe, you're right about the computer, but i wouldn't mind if someone used my music in a OFP mission without my permission, if that person wasn't making a profit out of it (although i would like to be credited for that).

That's why I use to add a text in my readme files that allows everyone to use my work (scripts, adddons etc.) for non-commercial purposes as long as he credits me. ;) If you add such a disclaimer, you explicitly grant permission and everything is fine.

Oh, and as for the link, you're welcome. But keep in mind that it's only one of many international treaties about intellectual property (the WIPO administers no less than 23 of them) and so reading it does give you valuable insights but doesn't make you an expert. :)
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2003, 02:14:16 by Sefe »

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2003, 08:30:40 »
Be up front and honest (not that record companies really care)...

...and don't try and hoard your code

...if it's good, people will probably use it anyway.
:)
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2003, 09:32:54 »
talking about music toady - where did you get your pissing sound effect for lojac?

lol

cheers.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2003, 21:37:56 »
Good ole' fashioned American ingenuity.  :P ;D

I filled up a pitcher with water went outside and poured it into a bush and recorded it to tape with a $15 tape recorder. Then I just recorded the tape onto my PC, did a little sound processing.

For the sound of Moore being hit with the butt of the rifle in the intro, I laid the tape recorder near my couch and beat on the couch with some sort of object. That sound effect was a tough one to get right (it still never sounded very realistic).

If you let the outro keep playing after the screen goes black (about 5 seconds after the music is stopped and screen goes black), you'll hear a little sound clip of Devilchaser trying to make the 'smacking' sound for me. It's quite amusing.

I put the DVC sound clip in at the very end, knowing that most people would press escape as soon as the screen went black, and therefore would never hear it the sound clip - an Easter egg. :)
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2003, 21:39:43 by toadlife »
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2003, 22:57:45 »
could u... ermmm... lend me the pissing sound  ;) would really appreciate it  :D

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2003, 23:13:19 »
I don't have the source wav files, but here is the .ogg from the mission. You can allways convert it to wave and edit it if you need too.

http://toadlife.net/uploads/piss.zip

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2003, 23:24:30 »
thats fine... just need the idea of pissing - lol.

thanx alot :thumbsup:

RP

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2003, 01:29:53 »
I think Toadlife has made a great job with those cutscenes. ;)
But, back to the topic...
How do you feel about the EBAR (edited beyond all recognition) aproach? (ok, i just made that up myself)
I know it's very much used in music and sound industry (specialy for sound effects). The point being if the author of the source material doesn't recognise it anymore we don't have a legal matter, i supose. But what about ethics? Should credits be given to the source material?
I gess in much cases as you over edit something, the source can become less relevant, because the editing work can become a creative process in its own right (or is it?). ???
This matter has been under discussion for years in sound magazines, and i don't know where it stands by now.
Any thougts?

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2003, 11:51:04 »
Legally, the answer is simple. If you modify another one's work, beyond recognition or not, he retains his copyright on that work. Ie. you still need his permission to use the modified work. However, you have the copyright on th modifications (as long as they're result of some creative process), which means that he wouldn't be able to publish the modified work without your permission. But still you need his permission, there's no way around it.

PsychoSniper

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jul 2003, 13:19:44 »
awww the UN, what a bunch of incopetents. If they r in chrge then Pirate all U want.

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jul 2003, 21:09:01 »
and that would get us where?