Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Chemical Warfare (BAS D/R)  (Read 28395 times)

asmodeus

Re:Chemical Warfare (BAS Desert Delta/Ranger) SP
« Reply #60 on: 25 Apr 2003, 09:06:29 »
@ LCD

LOL  

That's hilarious!   ;D  Reminds me of my high school dayz...   ::)

@ kris

Thanks a lot!   ;D  

There is an end to them, Sinister was able to defeat all of the reinforcements!

@ everyone

I have the most recent version completed except for a couple small things with the outro lose that I have to iron out.

I have elected not to use BAS's wonderful MH47E for this mission.  Unfortunately it is flown different by the AI and would require me to completely redo the intro and outro.  (plus it would just add another addon requirement when it really isn't key to the mission)   ;)

Asmo

kris

« Reply #61 on: 25 Apr 2003, 15:25:00 »
Fianly managed to beat them all, but think i made a poo  :P blew the base to bits and pieces before looking for the documents, searched every dead body, think i might have blown the officer out to in the water or something..lol

asmodeus

« Reply #62 on: 27 Apr 2003, 14:45:56 »
@ Kris

Cool!  Congrats!   ;D  Those docs can be quite a pain sometimes... hopefully this new version will help that a little..

Speaking of which...  :joystick:

Version 1.1 is here!  :toocool:

Changed and added:

• Addrating for number of good guys that survive the battle
  • Outro-Win
  • Outo-Lose (loose)   ::)
  • Various Radio Messages Changed
  • Officer w/documents has a green camo face (check notes in briefing)
  • During Intro the chopper crashes very rarely now (still happens occasionaly though)   >:(
  • Viewdistance starts at 900, you can change it on the radio if you want
  • Enemy throws smokeshells (depending on your benchmark)
Stuff I haven't done yet:

Custom Voices  (I haven't forgotten you Sui)   ;)
Removed or fixed the "surrender" script

You can get it here:

http://www.everoncartel.com/CW.zip  (3.8 MB)

You can see the outro-lose by just driving 200 Meters towards the goal and then heading back to the ending point like a yellow belly chicken..   ::)   :P  (you can also see it if you fail to destroy the scud launchers and go back there, or in a couple other situations)   ;)

I look forward to any and all feedback!   Thanks for the help so far!   ;D

Now go destroy some spud launchers, Soldier!  :gunman:

Asmo

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #63 on: 28 Apr 2003, 07:34:59 »
Excellent... been waiting for this one ;)

I've got a few points to add here, Asmo. But just bear in mind I'm being very nit picky...
If you were to completely ignore all of my advice, I don't think it would make a difference as far as a review score goes. (Apart from the small outro bugs ;))
However, these are just a few things that jumped out at me:

Overview
  • If you wanted to spice up your overview a bit, you could use more active verbs.

If you're wondering what the hell I'm talking about, compare these two sentences:
"We must do it now, before the enemy..."
"We must strike now, before the enemy..."
The second one uses the verb strike. It's a subtle way of making the mission description more enticing...[/list]

Intro
  • When it starts, the chopper bobs up then down as it comes up to speed. That in itself isn't too bad (you could have the screen completely black for 2 seconds to get rid of it), but the camera follows it which looks a little odd.

It's very easy to fix this. Your first camtarget line, use:

cam camsettarget (getpos heli)

This means that the camera will point at the position the chopper starts in, and not follow it as it bobs up. Then, maybe about 2 seconds later, get the camera to target the chopper ;)
  • At the end you use a titlecut fadeout, with text in it. This text will stay on screen for 12 seconds, the problem being that the intro will not end until that text fades. This means the player is looking at that sentence for about 8 seconds (when it only takes about 3 or 4 to read ;)).

To fix this, try using titletext to display the text (as it doesn't clear off screen when titlecut is used), and then remove the titletext ( titletext ["","PLAIN"]) once you've faded the screen to black and allowed a few seconds for the player to read it.
This just means that text won't sit on a black screen for a long, long time ;)[/list]

Briefing
  • The notes section. It's three pages, which is fine. However the last page doesn't have much text on it.

I suggest paragraphing (eg. spacing) your text out more. This will spread the text over the 3 pages (since you use that many anyway), not only making it easier to read, but filling up the third page more so it doesn't look quite so blank ;)[/list]

Mission
  • Radio calls... with the good music options, Puma's call, and the savegame there are too many radio calls.

The danger is, the player might try to play some Acca Dacca, push the wrong button and end up sending Puma to their death.
I suggest having a "CD player" radio call, which opens up another radio page with your song options in there. It would tidy up the radio calls, minimising any misunderstandings the player might have while trying to sort them all out under fire ;)
  • HQ's callsign was Charlie Black 1 or something ;)

I suggest checking out toadlife's snippet on custom callsigns. You can change that to Papa Bear, or HQ, or whatever you want it really
  • Good to see you fixed the call to Puma...

I didn't use Puma, and last version I still got a call telling them to get out (even though I never told them to get in ;D).
I ran around the whole base planting bombs, then ran out and ended up setting off 13 (!!! ;D) pipebombs, and blowing the whole base sky high...
My debrief is attached, if you're interested to see how many points 13 pipebombs get's ya ;)
  • Again, the titletext thing was there... ;)
Outros

I had a look at both outros, which were quite well done. The win one was nice, with some poor sod getting a masterkey round at pretty much point blank range... ouchie ;)
The loose one was also nice, though the smoke (chemicals ;D) and explosions right at the end really stressed my PC...

The one major problem was the fact that they didn't end... I couldn't even escape out of them for some reason! It faded to black with the words on the screen, and sat there.
This happened in both of the outros...

Anyway, good stuff, fulla. Very enjoyable mission, which has been polished up very nicely.
Throw in some custom sounds and the sky is the limit for this baby :)

asmodeus

« Reply #64 on: 28 Apr 2003, 13:50:36 »
Wow!   :o

That's great feedback!   ;D  I agree with everything you said!  

About the radio thng...  How would I do that exactly?  Mebbe it would help if I got rid of the viewdistance options?

That ending prob sucks because it works for me!   :-X  Mebbe some other people can tell us if it works or not for them.   ;)  (i'll have a look at it too)

I'll reply mor in detail laterz..  I smashed my finger recently and it's to dffclt to type...   :-[

Thanks a bunch for the feedback Sui!   ;D

Asmo

asmodeus

« Reply #65 on: 29 Apr 2003, 01:04:32 »
Ok!   :)

My finger isn't as swollen today, so I'll finish my reply..  

Overview

Excellent point!  That type of thing slips past my mind usually.   ;)

Intro

That's interesting about the titlecut!   ;)  Also about the camera command!  I'll try both of those today!    8)

Briefing

I agree!  That'll be fixed next version!

Mission

Custom Callsigns?  Kool!  :toocool:  I think I've heard about that but I was just too lazy to do it yet.   ;)

13 satchels?   :o  As LCD would say:  "Touch off da city!"   ;D   ;D

Which titletext thing are you referring to that's in the mission?   ???

I had a look at both outros, which were quite well done

Thanks a lot!   ;D

The one major problem was the fact that they didn't end... I couldn't even escape out of them for some reason!

This is very strange to me...  It works fine on my comp...  Like I said before, maybe somebody else can tell us if this happens to them.  (I looked at it and it looks fine, but I could have missed something)   ::)

Anyway, good stuff, fulla. Very enjoyable mission, which has been polished up very nicely.
Throw in some custom sounds and the sky is the limit for this baby

:D   :)  Thanks!!!   ;D  Custom Sounds are on the way!  Gonna make this sucker fly like an eagle!  (or like me on certain nights...)   ::)

Again, thanks for the feedback Sui!  I didn't think there would be this much to find, but wow do you have an eye for detail!   :)  This stuff helps a bunch cause I like my missions to be as perfect as possible!   ;D

Asmo

P.S.  Thanks for the stats!  Looks like almost all your guys survived!  Good score!   ;D
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2003, 01:08:14 by Asmodeus »

deaddog

« Reply #66 on: 29 Apr 2003, 01:39:53 »
You might try giving us slow guys an eight barreled, auto targeting, fire and forget super RPG launcher.  Just to take care of those 8 tanks that always ruin my day.  :)

asmodeus

« Reply #67 on: 29 Apr 2003, 13:28:17 »
 :D  lol!

If you're there to see the 8 tanks...  You take too long!   :P   ;)

That's the reason I put those tanks in there!  Run from the bulls in this misison, not at them!   ;)   ;)

Does this mean you tried the newest version?

Tlk to you later  

Asmo

deaddog

« Reply #68 on: 29 Apr 2003, 15:14:57 »
Does this mean you tried the newest version?

Tried...and failed.  :)  So far.

asmodeus

« Reply #69 on: 04 May 2003, 13:46:10 »
@ deaddog

lol  Thanks..   ;)  Good luck to you!   :)

@ Everyone!    

Here's the latest version!  ;D  (V 1.2)

Most changes are based on Sui's advice.  Thanks again Sui!   :)

Changes & stuff:

• The final parts of the intro and outro's now fade to black and the text disappears first.
  • Outro-lose smoke should be fixed for all benchmarks..  Please let me know if not.
  • Briefing final touches, added description of teams and their loadouts as well as some other small changes.
  • Player starts having to now meet up with the rest of the Red devils squad at the FUP..  (this is to avoid having to deal with the horrible AI driving in the desert)
  • Overview changed a bit, used Sui's suggestion.  (thx!)
  • Fixed the intro part with the "chopper bob", should look better now..
  • Changed HQ's callsign to "EaglesNest"  (thanks Sui for pointing this out and thanks toadlife for making the TUT!)
  • Outro's should end (I changed the way the ending is triggered, should be fool proof I hope)
You can find it at:

http://www.everoncartel.com/CW.zip  (3.8 MB)

Things I still need to do:

Custom Voices
Trim the radio menu options

....See the Northern Lights  ::)  

Thanks to all beta testers!   ;D  

Remember the rules of engagement:

Kick :moon: and take names.   ;)

Asmo
« Last Edit: 18 May 2003, 07:44:40 by Asmodeus »

The Avon Lady

« Reply #70 on: 04 May 2003, 16:31:46 »
I've been eyeing this mission thread for a while but only got a change to play it now.

Before I died on the beach north of the facility, I scribbled down these notes, placed them in a cork bottle and tossed it into the sea:

- After the intro, I get a missing addon "groups" error message when the mission briefing book is displayed.

- Why bother with hummers? Why not place everyone with the bikes in the Chinooks and ride off together from the starting point to the FUP? More realistic, too. Also, get rid of that yellow waypoint marker in my face. Not only is it misleading but it's downright insulting when playing in veteran mode. 8)

- You've got both a RED DEVILS and a START marker in pretty much the same place on the map. Looks messy. Suggest removing the start marker.

- Rename the END marker to EXTRACT, EZ or something more military. END is for Shoots & Ladders. ;D

Well, back to the beach!

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #71 on: 04 May 2003, 20:31:41 »
just gave it a shot (actualy - 6 m4 magz, 3 delta misles - watever dey called , 10 RPGs nd 25 charges - had 2 do it after wat sui did ::) ;D)

here r my comments ;D

1) cant u make space in da eagleNest ? nd in all texts also ;) (som ppl r never happy ::) ;D)
2) dere shud b lots more awarness @ da base + some ppl searchin around - dey just got attacked by chopers
3) is dere ny reason y dey didnt send da chopers 2 do our job ? ;) ::) - meve remove 1 BMP nd put shilka or somin like dat- just make it more logical (nd put reson in da breifing - i didnt read it but i have feeling ::))
4) add GPS 4 da player, i got lost while searchin 54 my squad (nd met eem somwere wen i told em 2 come 2 me ;D)
5) y did dey use flares ? - as much as i cud c - it wasnt dark enough 4 it, but if u have 2 use flares - do 1 red flare as callin 4 halp or somin like dat ;)
6) i think puma squad shud b reportin its stauts wen it get loses - like - we have only 2 men etc ;)
7) i think puma shud retreat wen dey r v. low on men - not continue sucidin on da enemies ::) ;D
8) same thing w/ players squad - wen low on men make da player radio HQ (or was it eagleNest ::)) nd say he is low, nd make HQ order him 2 retreat ;D
9) da docs r stil imposible 2 find :P - u want me 2 script somin like da script in burnin dawn mision (wen dey give u hint bout da keyz position ;)) or mebe just use script 2 say its position (grid location script - find it somwere in da ED)
10) only  waves attacked me now - intentional ? (da sec 1 was w/ 4 T72s)
11) i didnt watch da outro loose but da outro win - didnt i do it already ::)  :P but its kool nyway ;D

:cheers:

LCD OUT
« Last Edit: 04 May 2003, 20:34:35 by LCD »
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

asmodeus

« Reply #72 on: 05 May 2003, 00:04:40 »
@ Avon Lady

Thanks!

Missing addon groups?  WTF?  I'll triple check the mission.sqm...

About the hummers... Awhile back in the thread I explained it.. Here's the gist of it:

The script I used to make the hummers "drive" out the back of the chinooks only works for 2 vehicles.  After a lot of screwing around I simply could not get 4 bikes to work.  So... I could just take the bikes out all together, but then you wouldn't get to haul butt through the desert!  (and I personally enjoy that part so I'm not going to change it)   ;)

You can see the waypoint in Veteran mode?  What the heck?  I played in Veteran mode on this and did not see it...  I'm just gonna nuke it then.  (hopefully the people that play this can use the compass)   ;)

Thanks about the marker suggestions..  I'll fix those up.   ;)

@ LCD

Thanks!  

1.  I guess I can..  I wouldn't expect this kind of comment from you, of all people.   ::)   ;)

2.  Hrm...  I don't agree.. Those bmp's you see in the intro were very far off..  And the chemical weapons plant makes noise and stuff so they wouldn't have heard choppers or anything..  

3.  YES!!!  That's what you get for assuming!   :P  Read the briefing..  How can they send choppers in to blow everything up when they need you to find those secret documents?  

4.  ... Ok...  I didn't think anybody could get lost on this..  You just go west to get there and east to leave..   ::)   But :moon: I'll throw it in there.   ;)   ;D

5.  You guessed it, to signal the reinforcments..  The flare looks good if the weather happens to be cloudy or darker...  I thought there was a normal one and a red one?  (if not I'll change it that way)   ;)

6.  Easier said then done..  Tell me how to do it and I will!   ;)

7.  I don't know... When I play, if Puma is getting wiped out, I try to help them...  But either way I would prefer to have them stay and fight..  I'm not sure if you noticed, but retreating isn't all that safe either and they would probably just die on the way back to the Hummers if they ran away without you leaving too.  

About HQ telling the player to retreat..  Never!  That's up to the player..  I have beaten this mission where I was the last one alive!

8.  WHere's 8?   ;)   :P   ;D

9.  No they're not!  I've found them a lot... It's an optional objective..  I'm gonna have to keep it as it is I think.  (In RL would you have a hint telling you where to find some top secret documents that are in a random place all the time?)   ;)   :P

Remember, you don't have to find them to complete the mission, just to have the "elite" status.  (and help find the hostages of course)   ::)

10.  Huh?  Only waves?  The ocean attacked you?   :o   ;)  

Seriously though.. I don't understand what ya mean...

11.  Yes you did it already..  I had to fill the whole song and what else was I going to show blowing up right when the song says "explode" ??    ;)   :P    :P

Besides, I thought it was kinda cool to show how it "could" go down if you're really good and really lucky.  (where all rangers and deltas survive and you find the docs and destroy everything before the first  reinforcements come!)

@ both of you

Thanks a lot for the feedback!    8)

Mebbe I'll have to copy this thread and include it in the readme so people understand the reasons for things in the mission..   ::)   ;)  

lol

Thanks again

Asmo

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #73 on: 05 May 2003, 01:38:45 »
I guess I can..  I wouldn't expect this kind of comment from you, of all people.  

i think i do put s p a c e s between words - only spell em bad :P

Hrm...  I don't agree.. Those bmp's you see in the intro were very far off..  And the chemical weapons plant makes noise and stuff so they wouldn't have heard choppers or anything..  

a) dey prooly saw u from prety far havin radar nd all dat ;) nd dey cud radio da base - but its ur choice

b) can u make som noise sound wen da player is close 2 da chem tanks ? can b kool ;D

... Ok...  I didn't think anybody could get lost on this..  You just go west to get there and east to leave..    But  I'll throw it in there.    

jsut got 2 much 2 da north (goin 2 da FUP) nd found maself bout KM behind em near da sea - nd it only got complicated later ::)

You guessed it, to signal the reinforcments..  The flare looks good if the weather happens to be cloudy or darker...  I thought there was a normal one and a red one?  (if not I'll change it that way)  

mebe 1 of em was read - in da way it looked i cudnt tel :P

Code: [Select]
Easier said then done..  Tell me how to do it and I will!  

use next script

Code: [Select]
_group = _this select 0
_alive = _this select 1
_radio = _this select 2
_i = 3

#loop
@ "alive _x" count (units _group) < _dead
(leader _group) sidechat _radio
? (count _this) == _i : exit
_alive = _this select _i
_i=_i+1
_radio = _this select _i
_i=_i+1
goto "loop"

exec it

[grouname,NumOfPplAlive2GetRadioMsg,Msg4Previousstatus,NumOfPplAlive2GetRadioMsg,Msg4Previousstatus,etc] exec "scriptname"

it wont limit u 2 som num of radio calls, u can do as meny as u want ;D

NumOfPplAlive2GetRadioMsg - is da number of ppl dey have wen dey give u da msg

Msg4Previousstatus - is da msg u get wen da number of ppl is wat u told em

I don't know... When I play, if Puma is getting wiped out, I try to help them...  But either way I would prefer to have them stay and fight..  I'm not sure if you noticed, but retreating isn't all that safe either and they would probably just die on the way back to the Hummers if they ran away without you leaving too.  

i was busy tryin 2 kill 4 T72s :P nd my squad was hidin behind som rocks (i told em) - but puma were attacin da tanks (nd diein) - mebe just give da player option 2 order em around lil ;D - usin da onmapsingleclick command (only were 2 move not som complicated comntrol thingy ;)

About HQ telling the player to retreat..  Never!  That's up to the player..  I have beaten this mission where I was the last one alive!

just more realistic :P - but its ur mision ;)

WHere's 8?      

try putin 8 near ) nd tel me :P  8)

No they're not!  I've found them a lot... It's an optional objective..  I'm gonna have to keep it as it is I think.  (In RL would you have a hint telling you where to find some top secret documents that are in a random place all the time?)    

Remember, you don't have to find them to complete the mission, just to have the "elite" status.  (and help find the hostages of course)  

remember wat i had in burnin dawn :P - 1 of da squadmates told u were it is (not exactly) - just 2 qoute my bro after he played it (helped in betain) - now from da 10000 ppl i killed - were can i find som1 w/ green face ?

Huh?  Only waves?  The ocean attacked you?      

Seriously though.. I don't understand what ya mean...

oops - typo :P (even 4 me  :o  ::)) - meant 2 say - 2 waves - or 2 counter attacks :P

Yes you did it already..  I had to fill the whole song and what else was I going to show blowing up right when the song says "explode" ??          

Besides, I thought it was kinda cool to show how it "could" go down if you're really good and really lucky.  (where all rangers and deltas survive and you find the docs and destroy everything before the first  reinforcements come!)

rolf - i waited 4 em 2 kill em (nd only 2 of ma ppl were killed)

:cheers:

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

asmodeus

« Reply #74 on: 05 May 2003, 05:16:54 »
lol

Yeah, maybe I'll make up a reason that the enemy's radio isn't working right then or something...  "It was radiation from a solar flare that bounced off of swamp gas and through our atmosphere 4 times, finally bouncing into their radio tower, taking it offline for 2 days..."    ::)

jsut got 2 much 2 da north (goin 2 da FUP) nd found maself bout KM behind em near da sea - nd it only got complicated later

ROTFL!   :)

Thanks for that script!  I'll check it out!   ;D

mebe just give da player option 2 order em around lil  - usin da onmapsingleclick command (only were 2 move not som complicated comntrol thingy

Good idea!  I don't quite know how to do it though..   ::)  Can you help me with that?  

just more realistic  - but its ur mision

Yeah, I'll think about it..  I guess you wouldn't have to listen to the HQ if they did tell you to retreat..

LoL!!  8 ...  8)     ::)   :)

remember wat i had in burnin dawn  - 1 of da squadmates told u were it is (not exactly

I don't think that ever worked for me..  The only hint I remember was "The keys are on the officer" or something along those lines..   ::)   ;)

meant 2 say - 2 waves - or 2 counter attacks

So you meant to say only 2 waves attacked you?  That's how it's always been..  There is technically a third that comes before the rest of them from that small base to the South that's mentioned in the briefing..  (it's only a few guys, so they're easily missed)   ;)

So.. You had to do the LCD "Kill em all" strategy this time huh?   ;)  heh

Thanks again!  ;D

Asmo