Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Chemical Warfare (BAS D/R)  (Read 28515 times)

The Avon Lady

Re:Chemical Warfare (BAS Desert Delta/Ranger) SP
« Reply #120 on: 12 Jun 2003, 10:29:54 »
That's crazy!  How in the world did you think to go up there?  Your benchmark must be very high for you to be able to see the Mi-17 too!   :o   :)
I just drove the Kawasaki at max speed towards the waypoint, smack into the middle of the chem complex and there it was - my own private, Soviet, rocket armed helo. 8)
Speaking of which, what is your benchmark please?  (need to know from everyone that gets lag please)

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #121 on: 12 Jun 2003, 11:52:33 »
Blargh!!

Boy, I sound a bit wooden don't I?

My Kiwi accent doesn't sound as bad as I thought though ;D

Benchmark: 1997

I get a little but of cpu slowdown, but I generally manage to get out of the area before the calvary comes to town though... ;)

Poet

« Reply #122 on: 12 Jun 2003, 12:19:26 »
Your voice sounded fine.  :)   Though I did wonder why there was a Kiwi and a Brit leading an American Spec Ops team?
The Brits I can understand, we are the best in the world at everything after all   :o  :P

Benchmark 3448. - tried the mission with Battlefield Insane and HiRes Skies turned off and the slowdown is still pretty intense after everything blows up.

- As the Chemical tanks have such huge fire/smoke effects maybe remove some?  ( would totally suck I know ...  :( )
- There were a lot of fire scripts activated on other vehicles and buildings as well, maybe reduce some of that?

Its a shame, cause I love the fire effects, but it becomes almost unplayable for me at that point.

asmodeus

« Reply #123 on: 12 Jun 2003, 12:48:42 »
@ Avon

Thanks for the benchmark!   I actually totally forgot about that Mi-17!!  (think I even removed it in the newer versions)  

I was thinking you found another one that's totally far from the objectives!   :o   ;)  

@ Sui

Wooden?  Dunno, could be the fact that I had to amp the sound files by at least 20 db or more!   :o

Thanks for the benchmark also!  

@ Poet

Though I did wonder why there was a Kiwi and a Brit leading an American Spec Ops team?

Well, America is the "melting pot" of cultures.. I've met people here with all kinds of accents!   ;)  (the real reason is that those are the people kind enough to help me)   ;)   :P

The Brits I can understand, we are the best in the world at everything after all  

lol   I wonder where you are from?   :P   ;)

Thanks for the benchmark and for trying it with your extra stuff turned down!   :)  This kind of info helps greatly in setting the benchmark tiers.  (I'm planning for the future when peoples' benchmarks get above the 6000 mark!)   :o   :)

As the Chemical tanks have such huge fire/smoke effects maybe remove some?  

Ughh, you mean remove the Chemical Tanks themselves??  That would require a complete remake of the mission!  no can do!  (too busy, have too many other things going, and I'm pretty tired of working on this mission at this point)   :P

There were a lot of fire scripts activated on other vehicles and buildings as well, maybe reduce some of that?

Yeah, I'll just raise the benchmark level on all of those!   ;)  (Which is weird, cause it's fine on my comp with 3700 benchmark)   ::)

I'll work on it some more and see what I can do!

Thanks y'all!   ;D

Asmo

P.S.  @ deaddog  Are you a Brit?  Didn't notice any accent on your files actually...

P.P.S.  @ Poet, you were talking about the leader of the Red Devil squad right?  
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2003, 12:51:10 by Asmodeus »

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #124 on: 12 Jun 2003, 13:06:57 »
@ Sui

Wooden?  Dunno, could be the fact that I had to amp the sound files by at least 20 db or more!   :o

Nah, nothing to do with the sound engineering...

It just seems when put into mission context that I should have put more emotion into them.

I reckon it may just be my bias towards hearing my own voice (maybe I've got an inferiority complex or something... nah, I'm too arrogant ;D). Anyway, as long as everyone else thinks they are ok ;)

* Sui goes off to get voice acting lessons...

deaddog

« Reply #125 on: 12 Jun 2003, 15:21:56 »
Has anyone else noticed that it is possible to get two benchmark values?  

When I run the "preferences" program, my benchmark is 4300-4800 (2Ghz P4 system).

But, when doing this in a game:

player sidechat format["%1",benchmark]

I get 3198, everytime (mission independent).  This is the value the benchmark program uses.  

Since this is an important tool for the more complex games I just want to make sure that it is being used with the proper values.

Asmo (and eveyone else  :)), could you check this on your computer, just to see if you get different values as well?

The Avon Lady

« Reply #126 on: 12 Jun 2003, 15:34:33 »
Benchmarks can vary if other programs are simultaneously running and/or less RAM is available because of its use by other programs.

I suggest you set your benchmark when nothing else is running and leave it at that.

deaddog

« Reply #127 on: 12 Jun 2003, 16:38:16 »
Benchmarks can vary if other programs are simultaneously running and/or less RAM is available because of its use by other programs.

I suggest you set your benchmark when nothing else is running and leave it at that.

That's true when using the "preferences program".  Every time I click "autodetect" I get a different number.

However, in the game (editor or single mission mode), it is always 3198, regardless of what other programs, virus checkers, etc are running in the background.  It even stayed the same after I installed a new, more powerful, graphics card.  Can anyone else verify this?  Or is it just me? (probably)  ;D

The Avon Lady

« Reply #128 on: 12 Jun 2003, 16:46:19 »
I have a funny feeling OFP is measuirng its own effects on your system and memeory when it measures this in-game.

asmodeus

« Reply #129 on: 13 Jun 2003, 01:45:05 »
@ Sui

I know how you feel... It was strange when I did mine too.. I think they sound good but would like to know what others think.   ;)

@ deaddog

In my preferences it switches from 3600-3750.

In any mission it returns 3614.   ;)  So mine kinda makes sense to me.. But I'm real careful to not have anything running in the background except for a "direct cd" program for my cd burner that has to be running.   ;)

@ Avon

I have a funny feeling OFP is measuirng its own effects on your system and memeory when it measures this in-game.

I agree.   ;D

Asmo

The Avon Lady

« Reply #130 on: 15 Jun 2003, 19:39:03 »
"CAUSE I'M T-N-T. I'M DYNAMITE!!" ;D

Ah! Just blew up the joint and successfully escaped. Never mind that I was by my lonesome! ::)

Some problems:

1. On the eastern side of the chem base, I shot someone and got a "missing addon: ecl_documents" message. I have the ECL_documents.PBO file, dated 3/13/2002, 8:39PM, in the addons folder. I also have ECL_briefcase.pbo, with the same date.

2. In the win outro, one of the Kawasakis either crashed or got bumped and disabled by a Hummer. Two guys walked. :D

3. At the end of the outro when the helos come in, there's a lot of firing, the screen goes black and I can hear choppers but can't see anything. Only after 20-30 seconds does the outro end and I go back to OFP's menu.

asmodeus

« Reply #131 on: 16 Jun 2003, 02:03:12 »
lol

Thanks Avon!!  :)

1.  Thanks for the info!  Yeah, there's only 1 version of the documents out there.  (we try to make sure our stuff is done before we give it to the public)   ;)  I just had a quick look at the mission.sqm and it's not in there for some reason!  I'll edit it and see what happens.   ;)  Thanks!

2.  Yeah, that's a problem part..  It's a delicate balance between having the Hummers start late enough not to crash into the dummy's driving the bikes, but not having them start so late that you don't see them..  (throw in different benchmarks and boy oh boy is it fun)  

I'll have a look at that and mess with the timing.   :)

3.  This shouldn't happen...  I changed the way it ends and it shouldn't black out that early..  I'll double check it.  (weird stuff always happens for you)   :P   :)

Thanks a lot for the feedback!   ;D

Asmo

asmodeus

« Reply #132 on: 19 Jun 2003, 08:49:28 »
Ok, V 1.7 is out!

Changes/Fixes:

• Briefing now shows number of Chemical Weapons pods and Scud Launchers.  (in the battle notes)
  • Changed benchmarking tiers to hopefully reduce lag as much as possible
  • I found out that the Puma radio messages were stopping if Puma's leader died..  Fixed that to where if any of Puma's squad is alive they still work.
  • Fixed outro-win so that HMMW's don't run into bikes
  • Fixed outro-win ending so that no matter how fast or slow your comp is, it will end at the proper time.

That's all I can think of!  Thanks to all you great beta testers for the help so far!  I'm looking forward to being able to submit this to the missions depot and move on to the next one!   ;D  (I've got a sequel to this that's almost ready!)   :o

You can find it here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~jehning1/CW1_7.zip  (4.98 MB)

So far my best time while testing it has been 11 minutes with all objectives completed.   ;) (I know, I'm the mission designer so it doesn't count)   ::)   ;)   :P

Have fun! :gunman:

Asmo

The Avon Lady

« Reply #133 on: 19 Jun 2003, 08:53:15 »
That's all I can think of!
What about.........................
1. On the eastern side of the chem base, I shot someone and got a "missing addon: ecl_documents" message. I have the ECL_documents.PBO file, dated 3/13/2002, 8:39PM, in the addons folder. I also have ECL_briefcase.pbo, with the same date.
???

asmodeus

« Reply #134 on: 19 Jun 2003, 08:59:43 »
Thanks for reminding me Avon!

I added the documents to the mission.sqm, so you shouldn't get that error anymore.   ;D

Asmo