Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: South African Army Mod  (Read 4107 times)

mech etter

South African Army Mod
« on: 10 Jan 2003, 16:53:54 »
Hi all

First let me say that I LOVE this site, keeps me from doing my work ;D

Does anybody know of some South African Army mods out there or has anybody ever thought of doing some Southern African mods, such as the Rhodesian Forces, African savannah bush map, etc.

As a South African Army Reserve junior officer I must be honest and say that I would live to play a campaign which re-enacts our border war in the then South West Africa/Namibia and includes our Ops into Angola where we kicked Cuban/Soviet arse :D

Cheers
Mech Etter
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2003, 17:00:29 by mech etter »

Blade

Re:South African Army Mod
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2003, 20:02:09 »
Yo mech Hoe Gaan dit this idea rocks

mech etter

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2003, 09:01:39 »
Howzit Blade,

Gaan goed man  :), yeah, I am dead keen to play a lot of the small unit actions the SADF did, especially some 32 Battalion platoon ops.  The way I see it, with so many wars in Southern Africa over the past 30+ years, the breadth of OFP addons is unlimited.

Must learn how to create my own mods and addons, this way I could try and create a Ratel ICV or a Buffel APC. :-\

Cheers
mech etter

Bibmi

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2003, 09:37:13 »
Ek sal dit doen. I will be doing some South African Soldier Units as soon as I've wrapped up the UK Forces betas. It will be a small selection..probably only parabats and recces...

Blade

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2003, 09:47:12 »
Dankie. Thanx Bibmi

mech etter

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2003, 09:49:57 »
Excellent ;D!  Look forward to playing the new units!

Cheers,
Mech Etter

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2003, 04:02:26 »
It's not S.A., but I've been itching to make RLI and Selous Scouts for ages. I made some for Ghost Recon,  but never had the time to make them for OFP yet. The Colonial Wars' mod run by Mig is focusing on the Portugese war in Angola, so if and when that gets done, much of the scenery, karaals (sp?) etc done. Very interesting area.

Ebud
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Jack Handey

dismas

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2003, 23:03:43 »
It's not much but here's something to help you on your way...
if it's ever textured:

Mechem's NTW-20.
http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=5475

Offline Lt_Phoenix

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2003, 16:28:25 »
How about some Rhodesian SAS too.........
In memory of Police Chief Inspector Arne Sigve Klungland 1950 - 2004
Killed in the line of duty 5. April 2004

Check out the new Norwegian Forces Studio's temporary site at: http://marsuitor.tripod.com/mmb/

mech etter

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2003, 16:39:20 »
Man, the amount of addons that could be created around this from guerrillas to Soviet/Cuban troops to CIA types as well as Rhodesian and SA Army/Police units are endless.

Just the vehicles alone could keep a creator happy ;D

Maybe I should try my hand at creating addons, any tips on what tools to use and where to get them?

Cheers
Mech Etter

Crippler

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2003, 23:00:23 »
Its not very much, but there are a couple of South African troops in the UN addon at  ftp://www.gamezone.cz/ofpd/unofaddons/UN-ADDON_2.0_1.75.exe (v1.75+ version) or ftp://www.gamezone.cz/ofpd/unofaddons/UN-ADDON_2.0_1.46.exe (v1.46+ version) but although they are in DPM they still have the blue UN helmets which makes them pretty useless to use in combat missions :( ah well.

Crippler

mech etter

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2003, 07:48:49 »
Yeah I have that addon, nice, especially our new cammo ;D

My only criticism of the SA troops is that the flag is upside down ??? the Red stripe is on top, but seeing as how many South Africans make the same mistake, I am not too stressed about it.

For some info on the new SANDF check out www.mil.za (not a very good site imho) or check out my unit's web site at http://www.geocities.com/witwatersrand_rifles/

Cheers,
Mech Etter

BlinkDog

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2003, 03:57:24 »
A awesome book on South african spec forces is; South African Special Forces Elite Series 47 by Osprey books. It details with colour plates the uniforms and equipment, it also has some accounts of members of the Recce Commandos and Koevoet, especially Frans Conradie.

Hellfish6.2

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2003, 05:50:20 »
I'd love to see a SADF mod. I've been following the SADF since I read Larry Bond's Vortex. They've got without a doubt the best army in all of Africa. I'd love to drive around in a Rooikat or call on fire support from a battery of G-5s...

There is a Centurion add-on out there that could double as an Oliphant with some retexturing.

mech etter

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2003, 15:25:31 »
Oooh yes! :D  A Rooikat would be stunning!

I've attached a pic of a some Ratel IFV's crossing out of Angola over a bridge, which could look stunning in OFP.

Big thing IMHO would be the weapons, the SADF used the South African version of the Galil which we called the R-4, our helmets were of a similar shape as the US Army one's.  Webbing was South African, however I would not quibble about using the US Style webbing, as in the early 80's we did wear something similar.
Anyway, such an addon would, I think, add to OFP's already awesome reputation, but then again I am biased  ;)

Cheers
Mech Etter