Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Short Straight (Nam)  (Read 7900 times)

mattmayhem

Re:Yet another AirCav/X-Ray/Helo NP2 mission
« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2002, 23:57:12 »
Wow, fun mission, I LOVE the Arty !!! Anyways, i got to the part where we had killed all the enemy mortars and Mgs and most of my squad was dead and i was in charge of the remainder. When we arrived down at the LZ everything was FUBAR. My guys got killed fast and everything was falling apart, I was held out behind a rock on the north side of the LZ with some AI from another squad and Charile basically controled the entire LZ soon, the guys i were with were dead, I only had a 1911 and a few mags and the fire was so heavy and i was in danger of being overrun so i fled into the jungle, after several minutes and nobody came to get me i realized i'd been left behind and went back to the Lz to die a hers death hahaha...
What do you have to do to get rescued or get some support? Kill all the NVA?  :P

PFC_Mike

« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2002, 07:12:36 »
Sorry, I can't seem to find the dl. Could you post a link?

PFC_Mike

« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2002, 07:17:05 »
Sorry, I can't seem to find the dl. Could you post a link?

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2002, 15:22:11 »
forum.thechainofcommand.net
go to forum and select "public downloads"
It should be in there somewhere (short straight)
Dinger/Cfit

Offline ebud

• Members
  • What me worry?
« Reply #19 on: 08 Jan 2003, 01:56:34 »
Dinger... do you think you'll ever get the voices in? Or should we just consider this the final version? Either way, it's still an amazing use of the units and scripting. I'm still amazed everytime I play it.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Jack Handey

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
« Reply #20 on: 08 Jan 2003, 03:18:25 »
I just got back from a painful holiday tour a few hours ago.  After I enjoy a steak and do some damage control, I'll put those voices in.  I've recorded about half of them.  They'll sound cheezy since I'm doing them all, but I hope to pull it off.  So stay tuned.
Weekend release is possible.
Dinger/Cfit

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2003, 06:52:21 »
Voices are in, along with some music ebud attached.  The extraction is kinda ugly, but I'm too sick of it to do anything more. It's 3 megs and looking for somewhere to host it.
of course, if someone plays it and wants to redo a voice or two, that'd be swell.
Dinger/Cfit

The Avon Lady

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2003, 07:22:42 »
It's 3 megs and looking for somewhere to host it.
I can host. Email me (address in sig) a URL where I can get it from.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2003, 07:23:21 by The Avon Lady »

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2003, 22:39:32 »
Thanks to the generosity of the Avon Lady, the release version is now available at:
http://www.filefront.com/?filepath=/theofpfaq/addons/OFPR_Mission_Shortstraight.zip
It's 2 megs long, includes an intro and a crappy little outro, some voices of dubious quality (Sorry, I'm not the greatest voice actor), a track that Ebud supplied, and plenty of rock and roll goodness.

Thanks to all who helped out.
Dinger

Dinger/Cfit

The Avon Lady

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jan 2003, 11:28:35 »
I love this mission but ....................................................................

I follow the commander to the area below the hill with the mortars. (BTW, he runs so fast that other AIs are constantly shouting WHERE ARE YOU?). We kill a few and loose a few there and then we back out, without achieving the first objective, which is neither checked green or ex-ed red.

Strolling our way through the jungle, we come across quite a few firefights, especially one good one with lots of action.

After that, we get the order to retreat back to the LZ. Getting there, our commander moves just north of the LZ and it's a good thing he did. Looking back at the LZ, there were Charlies all over the place and we were spotted.

I took one bullet and the rest of my squad was dead.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the end of the story. No evac. No way to get back to base. I'm a lost Joe! :'(

There should have been triggers to ex off the main first objective. We failed and we moved out.

In the second objective, if the trigger is to eliminate every last Charlie in the LZ, I just won't make it. There should be a trigger that checks if I'm the last one alive to call in the Hueys with their machine guns blaring to kill and chase off retreating enemies at the LZ and to let me be picked up and evacuated.

Then once back at base alone, I should be given the disciplinary hearing I deserve. ;D

Please don't stop improving this mission. It's got so much going for it. :)

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jan 2003, 22:46:37 »
Oh crap, I figured it out, finally.
what happened was your commander got killed.
since I followed the "join group" way of getting rid of intro radio messages, when the CO gets killed, the group reverts to the old set of waypoints -- there are none, so they head back to their origin point (which means a stroll across the combat area).  That's also why you'renot seeing the X there (I think.... I should check that too).
as for the end: after LZ Albany one guy was cut off from his unit and injured.  He crawled the 16 miles and showed up at plei me several days later.  It's not nearly that bad for you; buck up, soldier!
Okay.  I'll see what I can do.  Maybe I'll park a helo in columbus if you can make it there.

Dinger/Cfit

The Avon Lady

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jan 2003, 22:57:20 »
Okay.  I'll see what I can do.  Maybe I'll park a helo in columbus if you can make it there.
Thanks for the attention. :)