Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP] For The Life Of A Friend (v. 1.8)(Review Complete)  (Read 22157 times)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
Re: [SP] For The Life Of A Friend (v. 1.5)
« Reply #60 on: 06 Dec 2011, 11:01:35 »
I actually replayed this thing more than 5 times.
Ok, that's just phenomenal! :D Thanks a lot for your time, bro!!

Awaiting 1.60 now... :)
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
New version (1.6) is up. :)
« Reply #61 on: 07 Jan 2012, 22:42:12 »
Hello guys, I'm happy to release the next version of my mission (check the first post).

The new Arma 2: OA patch changed the reveal command and FINALLY it is possible to make the AI recognize enemies in the dark -> without NVGs. :) That means that there are no more hidden / fake NVGs in the mission. :) And in my opinion the behaviour of the AI is very realistic.

Other than that I implemented some things that were suggested in the feedback and copied the subtitles for the Polish and the Russian versions of Arma 2 (needs testing as I don't have these versions).

Have fun - feedback is always much appreciated! :)

All in all I would say that the mission slowly is becoming "mature" and I hope that either this version or the next could be the final one.
Anyway it's about time after more than 2 years of working on it (since September 2009).

Of course I will submit it to review here on OFPEC (which for me means the most significant review page of missions in the "Armaverse") but since I have put so much work in it, I really want to submit the best quality I can in order to reach the highest possible score that it could get.
Therefore I firstly thank you all for all the testing but at the same time hope that you can continue helping me with feedback a bit more.

:good:
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2012, 15:17:23 by Undeceived »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: [SP] For The Life Of A Friend (v. 1.6)
« Reply #62 on: 08 Jan 2012, 22:14:36 »
Well, we do strive to help you improve your work as much as it can be improved and that process is highly dependent upon the authors dedication to higher quality and his/her willingness to persevere. But please do keep in mind that the reviews are primarily opinionated and that scoring will certainly differ according to a players taste.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #63 on: 08 Feb 2012, 19:32:47 »
I completed this mission again. :) The firefight part works very nice now and missions feels overally very polished. Only noticed that the voices are low-voiced during outro. And these two errors pop:

Often during firefight:
Code: [Select]
Error in expression <cleInUse - [_x]} foreach _groupveh};
if(count _jArray > 0) then {[35,_groupid,_g>
  Error position: <count _jArray > 0) then {[35,_groupid,_g>
  Error Generic error in expression

When loading a savegame:
disableserialization;
enableradio false;
clearradio;
6666 cutrsc ["camerab>
  Error position: <false;
clearradio;
6666 cutrsc ["camerab>
  Error Missing ;
File ca\missions_ew\functions\fn_defcon.sqf, line 215
Error in expression <

Else a very nice mission. Feels like a good thrilling movie. Cant find any real negative sides from this. :good:

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #64 on: 08 Feb 2012, 23:05:57 »
Hey SaOk, thanks a lot really, for playing it again! :)

Holy cow, what does that second script error part you mentioned mean?? ??? Hmm...

I know the first error block. It comes out of the DAC scripts... For a long time (when I started the mission) I edited without -showscripterrors :-[ and thus didn't see these, but when I saw them it was too late as I already had implemented DAC too deep into the mission to throw it out again... :( May the reviewer have mercy...

I'll check the intro again, thanks for the hint.

:good:

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #65 on: 09 Feb 2012, 00:08:04 »
The intro was perfect, sound levels are very good in it. In the outro, I had difficulties to hear the voices good.

That second error didnt seem to like the false in enableradio, even when it looks right to me. As wild guess, is the disableserialization breaking it?

Offline Clayman

• Members
    • Assault Mission Studio
« Reply #66 on: 09 Feb 2012, 02:17:10 »
I too had the second error once while testing. It was pretty weird, as it's a script from Eagle Wing campaign.
If I recall correctly, it was caused by another addon (CBA?). Playing the mission with only the required addons solved it for me.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #67 on: 09 Feb 2012, 12:16:33 »
Sorry, that could be it. I have CBA enabled for JSRS sound mod.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #68 on: 09 Feb 2012, 14:26:13 »
The intro was perfect, sound levels are very good in it. In the outro, I had difficulties to hear the voices good.

:D Thanks for this correction - somehow I read intro. :D Ok, I'll check the OUTRO.

Sorry, that could be it. I have CBA enabled for JSRS sound mod.
Aah, ok. :D
Must be CBA, as I never used "disableserialization;" in the mission.

Nevertheless, something else came to my mind - maybe someone can help me with that.

Back then I took my briefing.sqf from some other mission (don't remember anymore - might have been a BIS one) and at the end of it there is this code:

if (isNil {player getVariable "mk_briefingEH"}) then
{
player addEventHandler ["killed",{[] spawn {waitUntil {alive player};execVM"briefing.sqf";};}];
player setVariable ["mk_briefingEH",true];
};

Can you tell me what this means? I googled that "mk_briefingEH" and a lot of briefing.sqf related websites came up so I think that it is some kind of standard in briefings (?).
But I don't understand what this exactly does. And could it cause script errors?

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #69 on: 09 Feb 2012, 15:06:05 »
Looks like some MP scripting to me. Seems to add an eventhandler for player that make the briefing.sqf to be launched everytime when he respawns (when he is alive again).

That should be an unneeded code. I dont have that kind of code even in my MP missions.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #70 on: 09 Feb 2012, 15:49:36 »
Ah right. I'll remove it then. Thanks!

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #71 on: 03 Apr 2012, 16:51:46 »
Hi Undeceived,

I just want to ask you how close you are to another update. Since your mission is a very long one I would rather wait for an update before playing an outdated version. Please keep us updated if you need beta tests for 1.6 or if you have something almost done in the pipeline.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #72 on: 04 Apr 2012, 17:05:38 »
Hey mathias, thanks for your offer!

I would rather like to have some tests for the next version (will be 1.7), as I'm planning it to be the final one.
But it could still take some more weeks for me to finish it.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
New version: [SP] For The Life Of A Friend (v. 1.7)
« Reply #73 on: 30 Apr 2012, 09:58:13 »
Hello. :)

Finally I finished the next version of the mission: V. 1.7

I hope that some of you can give it a run to see if there's something odd or buggy. Thanks! :good:

Changelog:
I optimized some cutscenes and removed two showstoppers that some players experienced.

Check the first post for the download link.

Cheers!

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
Re: [SP] For The Life Of A Friend (v. 1.7)
« Reply #74 on: 23 Jun 2012, 22:38:24 »
Hi Undeceived,

Your download link for version 1.7 is no longer current. Please re-upload the mission.

Cheers

Mathias