Home   Help Search Login Register  

Advertisement

Author Topic: [SP] For The Life Of A Friend (v. 1.8)(Review Complete)  (Read 17155 times)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns

Scenario: For The Life Of A Friend
Version: 1.8
Author: Undeceived
Required game version: Arma 2 Combined Operations 1.62

Scenario description: We went out to have some fun teasing Jegorow, the new castle caretaker. But then everything turned out differently...

Features:
--> Civilian style mission
--> A story about friendship, murder and revenge
--> Fully voiced (German)
--> English and German subtitles
--> Uses Silola's DAC, which makes combat situations a blast!
--> Self made music by the author, among other custom music
--> Many cutscenes

Required addons:
- "Armed Civilians" by W0lle (version: 1.02)
(included in the download)

- Editor upgrades by Jon-C5- and Mapfact
(included in the download)

Screenshots:

Versions:
Version | Date | Notes

1.0 | 04.03.2011 | Release of the first beta version.
1.1 | 08.05.2011 | Bugs and many script errors were removed, English translation was finished.
1.2 | 03.06.2011 | Bugs and many script errors were removed. Some parts (e.g. Olaf) were optimized.
1.3 | 10.06.2011 | Bugs were removed, optimizations of the optimizations, more optimizations.
1.4 | 25.06.2011 | Bugs were removed, the end of the beta phase is reached.
1.5 | 07.07.2011 | Bugs were removed.
1.6 | 07.01.2012 | Bugs removed, more optimizations. Highlights: AI doesn't need NVGs anymore to detect enemies in the dark; English subtitles for the Polish and Russian versions of Arma 2; Annoyed bugs in the cutscenes were reduced; Many new things were built in; Etc...
1.7 | 29.04.2012 | Optimizations of some cutscenes, elimination of two showstoppers that some people experienced.
1.8 | 03.02.2013 | Taskhints were added and some bugs removed.

Known bugs in version 1.8:
- Script errors: If you start Arma 2 with parameter -showScriptErrors, there might appear script errors, which come out of the DAC scripts. These errors however do not influence the gameplay and the mission's functionality in any way and are not showstoppers! Anyway it is recommended to play without the start parameter -showScriptErrors.
- Remove AI team mate's pistols as soon as possible and give them rifles to prevent the Arma 2-pistol bug, which sometimes happens (AI won't move anymore).

Download:
For The Life Of A Friend 1.8: @ Armaholic
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2013, 14:04:11 by savedbygrace »
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: [SP] For the life of a friend (v. 1.1)
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2011, 00:35:08 »
The bugs I spotted:
Error when briefing opened after intro:
Code: [Select]
Error in expression <tskObj10 settaskstate "Succeeded";>
  Error position: <tskObj10 settaskstate "Succeeded";>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: tskobj10
Error in expression <(ZSweiter = true) >
  Error position: <= true) >
  Error Missing )
Cannot load sound 'missions\__cur_sp.chernarus\sounds\yuristirbt13p.ogg'
-During speaking to cellphone (when returing to the tower), enemy spotted me, but I couldnt stop the call and shoot him back
-After loading a savegame, I noticed I cannot shoot
-"Get help for Kosjta"-task was marked succeeded already before getting back to him
-After meeting Tanja at the car, the conversation in car was much louder than earlier voices
-The game crashed, when Tanja said she was scared (not sure what happened).

More feedback coming soon. Excelent work so far, cant wait to see the rest of the mission!  :good:

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2011, 10:15:39 »
I remember testing that mission you did called Evil's Last Will, Undeceived, and how good it was. Well, you've done it again my friend!

A pretty incredible mission, actually. I found myself caring for all of the characters and the struggles they were going through. The Mafia were also a pretty menacing foe, and certainly gave me a run for my money when it came to taking down their leader. The atmosphere of the mission, thanks to the use of custom music and good camera work, was also very intense. The concept of the mission itself makes it probably one of the most original missions yet made for Arma 2.

I got the same errors that SaOk got, even though the mission didn't crash at all. I did get an error when the end cutscene started, but I didn't manage to catch what it says. The RPT contains the following entries:
Error in expression <deletevehicle tiere;>
  Error position: <tiere;>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: tiere
Error in expression <{deletevehicle _x} foreach units z1group2;>
  Error position: <z1group2;>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: z1group2
Error in expression <{deletevehicle _x} foreach units z2group3;>
  Error position: <z2group3;>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: z2group3
Error in expression <deletevehicle DACdz_2;>
  Error position: <DACdz_2;>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: dacdz_2
Error in expression <deletevehicle DACdz_3;>
  Error position: <DACdz_3;>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: dacdz_3
Error in expression <deletevehicle DACdz_4;>
  Error position: <DACdz_4;>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: dacdz_4
However, the majority of the mission performed flawlessly. The only, somewhat minor issue I found was in the intro and credits, specifically with the RSCs you used. Due to how you can scale Arma 2's UI, the text appeared as a size that was obviously bigger than it was supposed to be for me. Are you already using safezones for defining your RSCs? If you aren't, I'd recommend you do. They're BIS' solution to the problem.

Other than that, I'm very impressed. The voice acting was excellent, too. Definitely one of the more enjoyable missions I've ever played for Arma 2, just like Evil's Last Will was with ArmA. :D

Offline Celery

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2011, 13:08:44 »
Somehow I can't get the doorbell action to show up. Also, the first time I went to the lodge the other car never came. It did when I loaded an earlier save.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2011, 17:50:34 »
Thanks a lot, guys! It honors me that you (who did some of the best missions out there) are liking it! :good:

- SaOk, I think and hope that your CTD was a random one. At least I and others never experienced any crash... Would be interesting to see if it crashes for you again (if you plan to replay the scenario one day).

- There were 100000 of script errors when I first ran the game with the -showscripterrors parameters. :D I managed to remove many of them but some are remaining - perhaps I'll need your help with some of them. But at least they do not "stop the show".

- Celery, the action at the doorbell should appear in the menu when you go to the mailbox next to the gate. The trigger isn't that big, maybe 1,5 meters or so.

- I experienced it once too that the other car with Kostja didn't come to the lodge in the forest - I might have to improve that one - thanks for reporting.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2011, 22:49:17 »
Once I loaded a savegame today, the crash didnt come again. I think it was just some very rare random game error. The rest of the mission continued the great quality. Excelent mood to the end. I think the only small negative side was the revenge part, where enemy skills were too high. They shoot really fast and accurate. I would suggest to lower it little (not too much. if its 1.0 then maybe 0.7 or 0.8 ). And the player groupie friend had too low skill. He usually didnt shoot until the enemy was next to him (he even had a scoped AK47). I think he could have the same skills as the enemy. Also I noticed the enemies didnt shoot him at all, was he a captive?

During the fights, there was much this kind of errors:
Error in expression <cleInUse - [_x]} foreach _groupveh};
if(count _jArray > 0) then {[35,_groupid,_g>
  Error position: <count _jArray > 0) then {[35,_groupid,_g>
  Error Generic error in expression

Also these came at some late point:
Edit: Removed - the same errors as in Zipper5 post

Also earlier in then mission, when the mafia turned to the small gravelroad to follow the player (to the doctor) in a cutscene. There was some error, but I couldnt find it anymore in RPT-file.

But overally all worked good and the mission was much of fun. With some little skill tweaking, I think the final revenge part would be also much more enjoyable.  
« Last Edit: 10 May 2011, 23:23:18 by SaOk »

Offline Celery

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2011, 01:59:27 »
- Celery, the action at the doorbell should appear in the menu when you go to the mailbox next to the gate. The trigger isn't that big, maybe 1,5 meters or so.
Zipper told me that but no action appears. I also had trouble getting the lift crate action to appear, but managed it when looking in a certain direction away from the crate.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2011, 10:59:20 »
Zipper told me that but no action appears. I also had trouble getting the lift crate action to appear, but managed it when looking in a certain direction away from the crate.
Strange... :( I have no idea why the actions don't appear for you... Very weird. This is definitely a showstopper but... Dammit. :confused: I hope that I can find something.

SaOk, I'll lower the enemy AI a bit, but I'm afraid I won't be able to help Olaf (the friend of the player). The reason simply lies in the miserable vision capability of the AI which without NVG is = 0 in the night... I don't know if you noticed that I gave some mafia AI groups NVGs which disapper when the player kills them. :D This is the compromise I had to go with in order to make them recognize the player as enemy at all. Before that the AI did see the player but did not recognize as enemy (and thus did not shoot --> mission very easy).
The AI without NVGs only shoots if the enemy shoots first - only after that the enemy is recognized. So Olaf (the friend) in most cases does only shoot when the enemies shoot first.
I don't want to "officially" add NVGs to the scenario because of story and background reasons (no high tech). So I don't know what to do to improve Olaf's vision capability...

Thanks for the reports of the other script errors, I'll check them. But I fear that one or two of them are from DAC (at least the one you posted). But we'll see.

Thanks again for your time, guys!

EDIT:

I tried to mess around with that safezone thing, which I didn't completely understand - I copied some code from a small tut from AMS but I saw that something really changed with those Rsc titles.

Zipper (or anyone else who could only read parts of the titles), could you maybe download the mission folder I uploaded here and open it in the editor and run the Outro Win? I need to know if the first titles of the credits outro are ok for you know before I make the work and edit them all...
On my PC the first titles (with the safezone thing) look like this:

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

Can you confirm that they are readable for you too?
That info would help me a lot - really thanks, mate!
« Last Edit: 11 May 2011, 21:50:36 by Undeceived »