Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP] For The Life Of A Friend (v. 1.8)(Review Complete)  (Read 21647 times)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
New version (For the life of a friend 1.3)
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2011, 23:25:56 »
Hi guys!

Another new version is ready.

I think that the scenario is almost ready for a review.
I'd be absolutely thankful if you could give it another run to see if there are heavy bugs left...

But however, I want to thank you for your help and your comments so far!

The new version is in the first post.

PS: If you played version 1.2 in the last days, you can give me feedback for that version. Thanks!
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline HailStorm

• Former Staff
  • Strength: Air Combat. Weakness: Squad Leadership.
Re: [SP] For the life of a friend (v. 1.3)
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jun 2011, 19:04:58 »
I'm halfway through the mission (1.3) right now, just dropped off Kostya with the doctor, and about to kick off act II of the mission.

I haven't run into any script errors, especially around the crate bit. I did find out however you can run left, right, and backwards at full speed without dropping a crate, but I don't think you need to be too concerned about that (it's still slower than running forwards)

A suggestion would be if you can lock all vehicles except for Piotr's car - it's really the only vehicle Piotr realistically should be able to access anyway, plus you can run into a few waypointing errors if he's in the wrong vehicle at the wrong time. For example, I was able to take Kostya's car from the hut and drive it a little way - it bugged out slightly and afterwards gave me a 'mount' waypoint that only went away after I re-mounted Kostya's car, which I had left back at the hut. Olaf's car was also drivable, and that helped getting back, but both instances were out of the scope of the mission.

Another suggestion would be for the conversation you have in the car when driving to J's place should only be triggered if you're in the right vehicle - the conversation with my passengers played while I was in Kostya's car and my passengers were still sitting in my stationary hatchback back at the hut. maybe make it so the trigger that starts the conversation can only be triggered by Piotr's car. Placing
Code: [Select]
[piotr's car name] in thislist in the init of the trigger should work.

other than that though, on the technical side of the mission I can't see anything wrong so far.

but a few more grammar niggles (sorry!)

carrying the crates:

"what a slavery!" -> "what slavery!" (the 'a' is redundant)

Jegorow remarking to the head mafia guy when they all arrive:

"[pigs at gunthers'] make disappear bodies" -> "[pigs at gunthers'] make their bodies disappear"

Kostya int.:

"We have still owed him a favor" -> "We have owed him a favor" (the 'still' is present tense, but the rest of the sentence is past tense, hence the 'still' is removed)

Doctor cutscene:

[gate scene]"friend was shot down" -> "Friend was shot"

[olaf hiding car dialogue] "I'm gonna do it then..." -> "I'll do that, then..." (past tense)

[bed scene] "may he really stay" -> "can he really stay"

there is this phrase as well;

[car scene] "I admired... so consequent and determined"

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but the word doesn't make sense - what other synonyms could you use for what you're trying to describe?

I'll keep plugging at it when I can, including a few runthroughs just to be sure everything's alright.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2011, 20:02:16 by HailStorm »
Mi-24 Hinds in Abandoned Armies... T-72's in Punishment Battalion... if you leave it unlocked, I WILL find a way to steal it!

Offline Undeceived

• Members
Re: [SP] For the life of a friend (v. 1.3)
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jun 2011, 10:54:06 »
HailStorm, thank you very much for this!! :good:

Especially for the grammar corrections! :yes: With "consequent"... :-[ I rather meant "consistent". Someone who is steady and does not get intimidated when trouble comes into his life. Can I use "consistent"?

I'll look into the locking vehicle stuff, good point you mentioned there.

Thanks!

Offline Undeceived

• Members
Re: [SP] For The Life Of A Friend (v. 1.4)
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2011, 00:08:19 »
Hello guys - I want to say

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP WITH THIS!! :)

Beta phase is finished - now I'm releasing it.

I will wait some more days and then give this into the hands of a reviewer.

Thanks again!

Version 1.4 is in the first post.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
Version 1.5
« Reply #19 on: 07 Jul 2011, 14:26:06 »
There is an update for my mission in the first post (version 1.5). :good: I hope it is the last version! :)

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: [SP] For The Life Of A Friend (v. 1.5)
« Reply #20 on: 07 Jul 2011, 22:57:50 »
Great to see the bugs worked away :good:, I will test this masterpiece (again) soon after finishing some other mission testruns. And if no-one else havent yet begun to make review of this, I can do that gladly after my trip to Sweden when I return on 27th july.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #21 on: 08 Jul 2011, 14:24:46 »
That would be fantastic, SaOk!

I think that the mission should be ready for review, I'm just awaiting some feedback about the last version, e.g. if this bug was fixed, and of course I would be very grateful to read feedback from you as well.

After that I would feel honoured if someone could review it.

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2011, 17:14:37 »
Hey Undeceived, I love your mission, but I need to report 3 bugs, the last one which is game-breaking.

First bug: I opt to drive away from work after my colleague is not impressed at all from my threats about the run over dog. Yet the "Kiste anheben" action is never deleted, and therefore in the way after the mission. Objective is not ticked off, obviously.

Second bug is a screen freeze right before my lads go uphill to hide behind Jegorow's house. A reload took care of that.

Third bug: As I approach the house of the caretaker, there is a car but no person or action menu entry appears. Instead I get an error message about missing R3F_Logic_Objects.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #23 on: 24 Jul 2011, 10:00:08 »
Hey mathias, sorry for the delay, I returned yesterday from vacation in no-internet-land. :)

Ok, now to your bug report, first of all thanks for playing the mission!

One question that is important: Did you play with any other mods than the required ones? Because I never experienced that third bug you mentioned and never saw something from R3F... in the scenario.
Just checked the required addons too and didn't find anything that contains R3F. So it would be interesting to know.

I'm wondering how the first bug with the crates happened. Since I thought that finally I eliminated all bug danger in that situation. Do you remember when exactly the action remained available? Did you maybe run with a crate or something?

About the freeze... Unfortunately I'm reading from some people that they have random crashes while playing the mission... :(
Does anyone know if this may be related to the fact that I (unnecessarily, I know :-[ ) use two different editor updates (from Mapfact and from Jon)?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: 24 Jul 2011, 14:09:15 »
Hey undeceived,

Since I got R3F-Errors in 2 additional missions and I used an "R3F" artillery as part of Loki's Lost Key, I am pretty positive that this handy tool is causing the bugs. I just need to figure out a way to deactivate it since I spent quite a lot of time last year to obtain a working version for Arma2

The crates: Of course I ran with the crates, since it was my task to carry them over to the parking spot. Now, that objective was not completed on site (since my co-worker was uncooperative), so I just drove away from work in my car. And the action was available at least until I was close to the Churchkeeper's house.

« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2011, 14:15:49 by mathias_eichinger »

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jul 2011, 16:08:13 »
Ok, so I hope that the showstopper is related to that R3F bug.

Ah, you were talking about Kostja's brother, the church caretaker! I thought it was at Jegorow's house where you have to ring the bell.
Ok, that makes it a bit easier. The action to knock should appear when you get close to his door (not on the side where his car is).

About the crates: The mission is designed so that the player can decide if he wants to complete the task or not. But this action Lift Crate should not remain in the action menu if the player is not near a crate...

One more question about this part of the mission: When you ran around with the crates: Did you somehow drop one that near of another one so that they both kind of "merged together"?

It would be much much appreciated if you could try to reproduce this bug with the crates again (in case you have success to deactivate the R3F addon and want to start the scenario from the beginning without it).

Thank you for your time, mate!

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: 01 Aug 2011, 17:04:05 »
Hey mate, my ArmA2 did strange things (like writing any addon of my 3rdPartyAddons folder into any mission I had), so after deleting a couple of addons, I could not play your mission any further. Will try for the 3rd time as soon as I find motivation.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #27 on: 02 Aug 2011, 11:52:26 »
Hi mathias.
Ok, no stress. :)
Cheers!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: 02 Aug 2011, 18:19:05 »
Hey mate, my ArmA2 did strange things (like writing any addon of my 3rdPartyAddons folder into any mission I had), so after deleting a couple of addons, I could not play your mission any further. Will try for the 3rd time as soon as I find motivation.

A lot of addons write themselves into missions if you don't finish them while they're on and then try to continue later. This happens even with high-profile, "professional" addons, but even more so with less professional ones. This can be very annoying with long and epic missions like Undeceived's, but the best suggestion I have is to simply avoid starting a mission when you have the "wrong" set of addons loaded. I have like 10 different shortcuts on my desktop with various addons loaded - yeah, I know the Expansions menu is neat and all, but it just invites to exactly the kinds of problems you're having - and that avoids most of the problems :) Food for thought!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: 06 Aug 2011, 14:08:06 »
Hey undeceived, I am sorry to report that I discovered another bug.
At the hut in the forest, Kostja would never come.

Please note that I am on a fresh ArmA2CO install, with only CBA loaded except your addons. Will try again to see if this is causing the bug.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2011, 14:13:42 by mathias_eichinger »