Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Village De-Pacification v4.3  (Read 25304 times)

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Village De-Pacification v.4.1 (7/4/10)
« Reply #90 on: 18 Jul 2010, 19:25:05 »
Thanks for playing, Wally   other Kurtz   Glorious Master Kurtz! :D

Issues
   - there was an enemy soldier still alive (at the edge of Larche) when I got the 'mission complete' message. I know because I managed to shoot him between that and the final cutscene.

Yes, the mission will end once all enemy ground forces from that final wave are dead or fleeing. It's meant to prevent "hunt the last loon" situations. Player is set to captive so that remaining enemies won't shoot him as the mission is ending.

Perhaps I will add some kind of radio message saying "Soviet forces are retreating" so that the end is less confusing.

Your suggestions regarding markers and team joining are noted.

rearming my team-mates is still a PITA. I don't mind machine-gunners and RPG guys, but wish the others could help themselves to the mags in their rucksacks. I'm not sure if the scripting would be worth it - compare their current mags to what they started with and then convert rucksack mags to normal. The trouble is that I don't see a way of counting empty magazine slots

Indeed, there's just no easy way to get them to use their ruck mags "normally."

I think I might be able to pull this off with scripting, though. I never thought about adding their magazines via scripting, so thanks for the idea. :good:
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #91 on: 20 Jul 2010, 23:14:11 »
   It ought to be possible to display your chosen names for the groups which talk to each other. There are three steps and you've already done one:

1. In the mission editor  :check:
   Assign variable names to each group. Add to the Init line of one of the vehicles / units in each group something in the way of:
mainloons = group this
beastsquad = group this
postgroup = group this

2. In init.sqs
   Give this group a name (and colour) using setGroupId, viz.
Code: (Init.sqs) [Select]
;assign group names
mainloons setGroupId ["Alpha","GroupColor0"]
beastsquad setGroupId ["Bravo","GroupColor0"]
postgroup setGroupId ["Charlie","GroupColor0"]
  (GroupColor0 means no color will be used as part of the name)

3. Stringtable.csv
   This is used to replace the default names (ie. "Alpha", "Bravo", "Charlie", etc) that are part of OFP
Code: (stringtable.csv) [Select]
LANGUAGE,English,

STR_CFG_GRPNAMES_ALPHA,Abel,
STR_CFG_GRPNAMES_BRAVO,Beast,
STR_CFG_GRPNAMES_CHARLIE,Jackal,
  Since there is only one entry for Language, it should be displayed for all languages and users.

I'm appending a couple of pictures to show how this looks as a result, but they'll be replaced by plain text in due course.
Quote from: Before
Alpha Black 1 (WE_Kurtz): "Abel to Beast squad. Advance on the objective and engage the enemy. Out."
Bravo Black 1: "Abel, this is Beast. Roger, we're going in. God help us all."
Quote from: After
Abel 1 (WE_Kurtz): "Abel to Beast squad. Advance on the objective and engage the enemy. Out."
Beast 1: "Abel, this is Beast. Roger, we're going in. God help us all."

Jackal 1: "Jackal to Abel and Beast, enemy armor is moving west from the airfield. It looks like a T-72 and a BMP. Out."
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2010, 22:57:09 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #92 on: 21 Jul 2010, 20:53:23 »
Thanks, Walt, I didn't realize you could do that. I will plan to incorporate it. No need for text, I've got the idea. :good:

SBG, should I wait for your feedback or go ahead and make the next version?
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #93 on: 21 Jul 2010, 23:27:24 »
No sorry. Go ahead and update. Real life has got me covered pretty good right now. I have had to halt my test for review of Zippers last requested for now. Things will not return fully to normal for me until close to late November. I'm trying to balance things as best I can though.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Village De-Pacification v.4.2 (9/18/10)
« Reply #94 on: 18 Sep 2010, 22:20:57 »
New version *fart fart fart*

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #95 on: 21 Oct 2010, 16:22:32 »
I'm getting the definite impression that no one is interested in taking this mission for yet another round of beta. I'm not excited about it either, tbh. I actually have a life outside of OFP now, hence my low activity these days. :P

The only problem reported with the previous version was that the mission ended when enemy forces were fleeing but not necessarily dead. Is this a showstopper? Can I just stick this one up for review?

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #96 on: 22 Oct 2010, 06:58:48 »
I have been jostled about a bit in my work schedule since May. It is suppose to return to normal by the end of November. However, I have recently suffered some hardware issues with my pc and am not able to play any of the games until things are worked out. With the holiday season on fast approach, my pc is at the bottom of the list. I'll not be able to test or review anything until things are back to normal for me.

Feel free to place review on your mission though. I have one other(in arma2) that I must do before yours.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #97 on: 06 Nov 2010, 20:28:32 »
Read your change log and didn't see anything that would cause it, but the mission froze on me again while in the city, the first wave had just gotten close to the city and no choppers were around yet.

The gear selection fails to provide spare magazines for some of the weapons assigned to group members. Specifically the AKS74U(something like that), SVD and RPG-7.

My group expends their ammo quickly and then keeps shouting that they are out of ammo. Frustrating to listen to them whine when they should be thinking for themselves...I know, it's just the AI.

Haven't retried after the freeze yet; will do later.

It's now later and I was able to retry from an autosave. Things played out well this time through with no freezes. Balance was much better, primarily because the infantry numbers were decreased significantly. It's pretty challenging trying to outsmart armor when they roam in packs but it's darn near nail biting trying to do it when infantry are around.

I was really close to shutting down the game because of the wgl mod effects. I was wounded but not showing any signs other than gun sway and no option to heal unless I approached the medic tent. The crappy running animation also forced my gun to do weird stuff while running. I realize I am still bitching about the mod but I am hoping to deter you from using it in future projects because I really wouldn't want to play with this thing again.

The music you used for the outro is my favorite OFP tune and the cinema was far better looking than before. The camera scripting was still giving me whiplash though.

All of the improvements are noticed. Just fix the weapons loadout and I think this one is ready for review.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2010, 01:32:06 by savedbygrace »

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #98 on: 13 Nov 2010, 21:45:01 »
BACK FROM THE DEAD :D

Thanks for checking this thing out SBG, especially in the face of the crashing.

I will fix the loadout.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #99 on: 22 Nov 2010, 17:21:09 »
The gear selection fails to provide spare magazines for some of the weapons assigned to group members. Specifically the AKS74U(something like that), SVD and RPG-7.

I see I forgot to include AKS74U mags.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying there aren't spare magazines for the SVD and RPG-7, though. There's an extra RPG-7 launcher and two PG-7 rounds. There's four mags for the SVD. I realize that isn't too many by WGL standards, but I was worried that any more would unbalance the mission.

Are you saying that they're missing ruck mags? There's no convenient way to set up an automatic RPG-7 ruck replacement system (because soldiers can't carry rucks and missile launchers at the same time), and see above about the SVD.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #100 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:32:21 »
As long as there is ammo in the briefing gear selection for every weapon provided, one can't truly argue. Other than that, it's all good.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Village De-Pacification v.4.3 (11/24/10)
« Reply #101 on: 24 Nov 2010, 18:28:44 »
New version available, for all your AKS-74SUSUSSUSSS-using needs. SU

Let me know if you find any other errors.

EDIT: That is to say, I'm putting this up for review. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2010, 20:27:22 by RKurtzDmitriyev »

Walter_E_Kurtz

(Review in Progress) Village De-Pacification v4.3 [SP]
« Reply #102 on: 08 Dec 2010, 23:51:59 »
I've got my red pen out and a review is underway.

Is there a promo pic you'd like me to use?

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Village De-Pacification v.4.3 (PLEASE REVIEW)
« Reply #103 on: 10 Dec 2010, 19:46:38 »
Thanks for reviewing, Mistah Kurtz!

I didn't have a particular promo shot in mind. Either of these two would be fine with me, though:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Walter_E_Kurtz

Re: [SP] Village De-Pacification v.4.3 (PLEASE REVIEW)
« Reply #104 on: 17 Dec 2010, 01:20:41 »
This was on hiatus for a few days as I was having problems with freezing, similar to those described by SBG. I'm not sure what the cure was, it might have been any of the following:
  • restarting the mission completely, not just a retry
  • having Mikero's Editor Upgrade installed when restarting
  • something else.

The freeze was very reliable; in fact I had a savegame a few moments before it occured and no matter what I did I couldn't prevent it. Even going back to the autosave you provide once Larche is taken didn't seem to avert it.
I added the Editor Upgrade in case it was needed for some FX on the T72, but that's probably just voodoo on my part.

I'm attaching a couple of screenshots, but they'll only be up for a short time:
   - 1. a civilian making use of my medic
   - 2. one exceptionally long casualty list after I merged with Beast squad (I was one of just two survivors). I never realised that casualties were listed alphabetically by first name!

The review should be done in the next few days.

Edit: images detached
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2011, 17:54:12 by Walter_E_Kurtz »