Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Village De-Pacification v4.3  (Read 25781 times)

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] Village De-Pacification (v. 2.7 ready for test!)
« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2009, 15:46:51 »
Tested version 2.7.

Package

As always, does it's job!

Overview

Good pic, but you might consider adding border to it.

Won't be difficult  :D .

Mission

I definitely noticed boosted enemy AI. It makes things a lot harder. I managed to seize the town, but paratroopers got me, as well as all of my men. It was pretty fun, actually. One thing I noticed is that mission lagged a bit at beginning of the firefight. But it was more than playable to me!

Glad you had fun! :) I'll see if there's any way I can cut down on lag. I want to make a MP version eventually, so this will be important.

Outro

Did not reach it.

If you're interested, you can see the final cutscene by opening up the mission in the editor. If you call a script with the following code (perhaps in a radio trigger), you will see my substitute for the "good" outro.

Code: [Select]
"_x setdammage 1" forEach units armreinf
"_x setdammage 1" forEach units armreinf2
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units bpatrol
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units msquad
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units wpnsq
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units crewgrp
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units pilotgrp
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units vdvgrp
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units infreinfor1
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units infreinfor2
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units infreinfor3
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units mg1grp
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units mg2grp
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units hqpatrol
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units spets1
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units spets2
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units spets3
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units finalspets
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units offsquad
"_x setDammage 1" forEach units smalsquad
"_x setdammage 1" forEach units bpatrol
"_x setdammage 1" forEach [tprt, airreinfor1, airreinfor2, bob1, bob2, bob4, crew2, crew3]

This will kill almost every enemy unit and should trigger the final cutscene, and then the "good" debriefing. For the bad debriefing, just retreat about 1km in any direction (you can also use the editor to move your squad right next to the edge of the trigger field ;) ).

Overall

Good improvement with AI! Lag was increased to me, so try not to add too many new friends/enemies.

Suggestions

Beast squad

I have no idea when they are KIA. Perhaps add a script that detects if beast squad is KIA. If they are, add this radio chat thingy (edit it so it suits your needs):

Code: [Select]
beast sideChat "Abel! We are being overwhelmed! We need to... arghhh!!!"
~3
player sideChat "Beast! Beast! Beast do you copy?"
~3
player groupChat "Dammit! Beast is down!"

There should already be a script that does just that, and with almost exactly the same dialogue. :D :P I'll check to be sure it's working.

EDIT:

New version 2.8 uploaded. If no one reports serious bugs, I'm ready to have it reviewed. How do I submit it for review? Shall I simply edit the thread title?
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2009, 23:52:53 by RKurtzDmitriyev »
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
Re: [SP] Village De-Pacification v. 2.8 (12/22/09)
« Reply #16 on: 23 Dec 2009, 14:47:00 »
Downloading new version!  ;)

New version 2.8 uploaded. If no one reports serious bugs, I'm ready to have it reviewed. How do I submit it for review? Shall I simply edit the thread title?

That's how it's done. Just add "(Please Review)" to the thread title.

Edit: Here it goes.

Mission

Nothing too new detected, except that this time Beast attacked faster, which is good. I died far out of the town, being pinned down behind a tree. Now comes in real bug testing. I will "cheat" a bit now (setting myself a captive, etc). Stay tuned for bug report!

Edit 2:

Two bugs found. MI-24s will after completing their waypoints (presumably) stopped and hovered at same position. You can fix this using cycle waypoints. And also, even after Beast was KIA, Beast--Retreat was still available. Causing me to say what Beast was supposed to.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2009, 15:27:14 by Krieg »
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #17 on: 23 Dec 2009, 15:42:04 »
Downloading new version!  ;)
Thanks for testing  :)

Edit 2:

Two bugs found. MI-24s will after completing their waypoints (presumably) stopped and hovered at same position. You can fix this using cycle waypoints.

I thought about that. Problem is that if I use a cycle, they'll go all the way back to the airport and come back to Larche, because there's a "getin" waypoint for the pilots. I couldn't just place a chopper with crew already inside, because as I recall, choppers will take off as soon as they have a waypoint. I don't want the sound of the choppers audible too early.

But now that I think about it, between having them hover and having them fly off back to the airfield every now and then, the airfield is probably better. They should be on "engage at will" anyway, and I think that means that choppers practically ignore waypoints if they see a target.

And also, even after Beast was KIA, Beast--Retreat was still available.

Good point, will be fixed.  :)

Causing me to say what Beast was supposed to.

What do you mean? What was the dialogue?  ???

The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #18 on: 23 Dec 2009, 15:49:54 »
But now that I think about it, between having them hover and having them fly off back to the airfield every now and then, the airfield is probably better. They should be on "engage at will" anyway, and I think that means that choppers practically ignore waypoints if they see a target.

Agreed.

What do you mean? What was the dialogue?   ???

That's the point. There was no dialogue. Only monologue. I think I said Beast's lines. But I might be wrong, on second opinion.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #19 on: 23 Dec 2009, 16:10:37 »
Now comes in real bug testing. I will "cheat" a bit now (setting myself a captive, etc).

If you're interested in testing the ending cutscene, just add a radio trigger which executes "testkill.sqs". This is an unused script that should kill almost all enemy units and end the mission. ;)

EDIT: New version, again! And there's custom sounds. :) This time I did much more of my own testing. Everything should be OK, except for one admittedly lousy bug.

After the player's retry position is saved, which happens when the resistance approaches the town, and he reloads to that position (say after dying), it seems that the radio transmissions won't work. The game gives me an error dialog box that says "cannot find radio transmission smallarmor" or whatever the name of the radio transmission is. It's as though the game has forgotten the description.ext file. This does NOT happen when the player goes all the way through without reloading (but that's kinda hard, in a mission this difficult). I'm stumped. >:( Hopefully this will be fixed in a future version.

Any tips? In the COMREF under savegame, Planck says that "too many global variables will corrupt your savegame file when you save your mission progress." Could that be the problem? If it is, then how do I avoid "too many global variables?" Does that mean that I need to make less of them exist, or use less of them in commands? ???

Anyway, thanks for any testing. :)
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2009, 01:29:37 by RKurtzDmitriyev »

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
Re: [SP] Village De-Pacification v. 2.9 (12/30/09)
« Reply #20 on: 31 Dec 2009, 15:47:24 »
New version available? Downloading right now!

Edit: I played it, didn't get too far and I have noticed that there is a bit more lag :dry:.
Bug-test will follow up soonish.  

By the way, I like custom voice-over.

As for the save game issue, from what I can see you have three options:
1) Leave it as it is.
2) Remove save game trigger.
3) reduce number of global variables.

Edit: Bug report. No bugs found except the one you mentioned.

I have one suggestion, though.
Cut down on initial numbers of Russians in the town. And also, delete one of the machineguns, else the player will be cut down before he reaches the town, and perhaps reduce skill of Ruskies in town..
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2009, 16:37:51 by Krieg »

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #21 on: 31 Dec 2009, 18:30:42 »
Thanks for the test Krieg. :)

Edit: I played it, didn't get too far and I have noticed that there is a bit more lag :dry:.

Sorry! Maybe I'll use the WGL remove dead bodies gamelogic, but that won't help the lag at the beginning.

Or maybe I'll cut down Russians in town (see below).

The mission lags a bit for me when I first load it. However, subsequent loadings run much more smoothly. If I play a different mission and come back to Village De-Pacification, it runs slowly again. It must have something to do with how OFP loads missions.

By the way, I like custom voice-over.

Thank you, I did my best to sound convincing. :D

As for the save game issue, from what I can see you have three options:
1) Leave it as it is.
2) Remove save game trigger.
3) reduce number of global variables.

You think it's definitely an issue with the number of global variables? Does that mean that I simply need to have fewer names for units, groups, conditions, etc? Or does it mean that I have to use fewer of them in commands (that is, use more local variables in scripts)?

(1) will just seem too crappy, especially if the savegame file is getting corrupted. Then the OFP gods only know what could happen. :dunno:
(2) will require making the mission easier.
(3) might work, I'll see what I can do.

Cut down on initial numbers of Russians in the town. And also, delete one of the machineguns, else the player will be cut down before he reaches the town, and perhaps reduce skill of Ruskies in town..

I'll think about it. I may have to cut Russians just to reduce lag, and global variable numbers. :p Another option is to change the angle of one of the MGs so that it can't swing all the way north.

The MGs weren't terribly big problems when I played through the mission, though. A few well-placed shots will kill the gunner just like any other infantryman.

I'm planning to make a multiplayer co-op version eventually. Maybe I'll nerf the enemies for the singleplayer version, since it's harder to succeed with a squad of loons than with a squad of (competent) human beings.

So thanks again, and I hope the review for Red Grinder goes well. :cool2:
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2009, 18:33:33 by RKurtzDmitriyev »

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #22 on: 31 Dec 2009, 18:58:24 »
Quote from: RKurtzDimitriyev
Sorry! Maybe I'll use the WGL remove dead bodies gamelogic, but that won't help the lag at the beginning.

Only time I had lag was when shooting started. It was playable, but a bit annoying. If you played first version of "The Final Stand" you'd know how bad lag can get in OFP.
Quote from: Schuler on first tests of The Final Stand
lag is overcoming , pretty much unacceptable sorry to say, its like 300 hamsters in a wheel  ;)
I like to think that "The Final Stand was laggiest mission ever in beginning.

I guess that cutting down on Russians will help a bit.

You think it's definitely an issue with the number of global variables? Does that mean that I simply need to have fewer names for units, groups, conditions, etc? Or does it mean that I have to use fewer of them in commands (that is, use more local variables in scripts)?

I'm not really sure here... I think you should experiment a bit, and see the results ;)!

Quote from: RKurtzDimtiyev
(1) will just seem too crappy, especially if the savegame file is getting corrupted. Then the OFP gods only know what could happen.  :dunno:
(2) will require making the mission easier.
(3) might work, I'll see what I can do.

Agree with 1).
Yeah, perhaps solution 3) is the best answer.

The MGs weren't terribly big problems when I played through the mission, though. A few well-placed shots will kill the gunner just like any other infantryman.

They were a bit of a problem for me, because I could not see them because of the bushes... Or because I am blind :scratch:.

I'm planning to make a multiplayer co-op version eventually. Maybe I'll nerf the enemies for the singleplayer version, since it's harder to succeed with a squad of loons than with a squad of (competent) human beings.

Yeah, maybe made them a bit more... inexperienced.

Quote from: RKurtzDimtiyev
So thanks again, and I hope the review for Red Grinder goes well.  :cool2:

It was pleasure to test your mission, and thanks for hopes for Red Grinder!
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2010, 10:01:13 by Krieg »

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #23 on: 31 Dec 2009, 21:25:50 »
So do I understand correctly that you observed the saveGame bug yourself, as well? I just want to be sure that it's something that happens on all computers, or all play-throughs of the game.

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #24 on: 31 Dec 2009, 22:32:31 »
I did not try to replicate it, but I will try tomorrow.
I'll get the savegame then kill myself with RPG. Then see the effects.

Edit: Does not happen to me :blink:!
I got the save position, killed myself, and everything went just fine. Jackal informed me and so on...
Also, I recall seeing a resistance trooper in the village AFTER Beast was dead. I am sure that he was not part of my squad because all Abel squad-members were dead.
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2010, 17:43:20 by Krieg »

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #25 on: 02 Jan 2010, 00:57:44 »
I did not try to replicate it, but I will try tomorrow.
I'll get the savegame then kill myself with RPG. Then see the effects.

Edit: Does not happen to me :blink:!
I got the save position, killed myself, and everything went just fine. Jackal informed me and so on...

Pretty bizarre, maybe the bug was unique to my computer, or my particular playing session.

Or maybe some other part of your savegame file was corrupted! :P

Either way, it's a good idea to trim anything you don't need, so I'm cutting out lots of global variables for the next (hopefully final) version.

Also, I recall seeing a resistance trooper in the village AFTER Beast was dead. I am sure that he was not part of my squad because all Abel squad-members were dead.

Ah yes, I think I know why that would have happened. To make a long story short: was based on a misunderstanding of how the sideRadio command would work, and it should be fixed next version. :-[

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jan 2010, 20:51:21 »
Gave this one a flyby today. Actually, I've sunk about 6 hours into it already and though the wgl mod is frustrating to me and I would just as well see it burned on the back lot, The gameplay was intense.
Resistance 1.96 no mods other than wgl, veteran mode.

First I'll just say that I can not stand the WGL mod. It is horrible. With that off of my chest, This mission has me hooked. Even though the mod is pissing me off, your mission is making me come back for more. It resembles another mission I have played in the past(can't remember who's) but much more difficult.

I did not encounter the savegame bug and I have reloaded well over 20 times.

So the balance is off slightly. After reading some of the other posts, it was too easy at first and now it is just way too hard. Even Macgubas Unimpossible Mission gave you breathing room once you escaped the initial slaughter.

Downsizing Heavy armor to APC's would not be unwelcomed, not only gameplay wise but story wise as well. Having Heavy tanks respond to such a small threat seems uneconomical. Also having CAS hovering above, wasting fuel and expensive high caliber rounds on targets that could be taken out with smaller fragments is unbelievable. If you must have Helos, have them bring in reinforcements for infantry groups which have dropped below a certain number. Then place a guard heli over them during the insertion.

To balance things out without removing units, you could simply adjust waypoints. Don't have any more than one armor group in the city at a time, or atleast have the waypoints spread out and syncronized so that the groups are located at different patrol routes, one being inner city while the other patrols the pastures. Its difficult enough defending against infantry who can spot you through dense foliage and shoot you through tents.
Another tactic that would fit right in is providing the player with enemy vehicles for defensive positioning. Leave more than just one Ural so that the player can barricade himself and his fellows inside a makeshift fort or zone to better combat the odds.

From what I had seen after being pinned in the yard with the cache, the armor was brushing right past the cache tent without destroying it or the much needed sanbag walls. That caused me to wonder if you had taken measures to secure its integrity. If not, It may me a good idea to do so. But if you decide to leave a few urals or civilian vehicles in town for player repositioning, you can ignore this and allow the player to deal with it.

I'll keep trying to beat it as is though.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2010, 23:36:46 »
Thanks for testing savedbygrace. I'm glad that you seem to like it and didn't get the savegame bug. It could just be a different bug unique to the time I was testing it.

I've taken time off of the singleplayer version to focus on a multiplayer conversion that I made. It suffers from occasional desync problems that I can't quite understand or get rid of. Your post has reminded me that I should probably get back to the SP version sometime soon.

I guess we just have differing opinions about the WGL mod. :P What don't you like about it?

Regarding difficulty...yes, I should nerf the enemies. Perhaps nerfing the AI and deleting or changing some T-72s is in order.

Have you tried retreating? One option I have considered is making it easier to retreat. That way, it's as though the player has a "dare" to see how long he can stay in the fight before he runs away, like a game of chicken.

Regarding having heavy tanks and choppers respond...I guess I was imagining that the Soviets were opting for a "lavish use of firepower." That catchphrase was coined to describe the Americans in Vietnam, who spent massive resources on a bombing campaign in which the tons of bombs dropped was greater than the number of killed enemies (as I recall from reading). Similarly, I was imagining the Soviets "freaking out" in response to the sudden resistance attack and sending a disproportionate response, like a huge animal that's gotten spooked.

And as for the cache tent and sandbag walls, I'm not sure why it would not be destroyed by vehicles running over it. I took no measures to make them indestructible. WGL doesn't allow civilian buildings to be destroyed, but I'm pretty sure I've seen tents get crushed. ???

Thanks for testing again, and good luck trying to beat it.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #28 on: 14 Jan 2010, 08:36:39 »
Like I said before. Your mission is awesome but your chosen mod is horrible. I TRULY wish you had a version that did not require that mod. The main thing I do not like is the interference with sound. Other than that, I am just use to OFP as it is. Since I have played it the same way since 2002, I hate mods that change my comfort zone. Some of the animations are crap, particles are garbage, sounds are not worth the change and for some reason, the enemy keep shooting me through tents. Don't get me wrong, it has some positive features I like but not enough for me to warrant a 500+ MB download for one mission. Especially since it changes things that should only be changed if the player wants it changed. (just my opinion)

Anyways, Retreating? What is that? No seriously, I do not like retreating unless I can return with a different tact. I would retreat only to test its outcome for flaws but otherwise, I love the challenge of overwhelming odds. Which is why I think your mission is so awesome BUT the mods interference is dampening the fun and so I have come to a point that I will not play it any longer. Mainly because I keep getting a freeze during the mission which forces me to shut the game down from the task manager. I have this feeling that is has something to do with that junky mod :D. I'm just busting your chops.

Regarding the tanks, it doesn't matter really. It's your choice(obviously); if you like them in then by all means, leave them in.

The armor was not actually rolling over the tent but it would pass within a half meter of the thing without touching it which shocked the tarnations out of me since I know AI to be merciless on the structures around them.

In the end, I would tolerate the mod to play the mission once you get the polish on it. 

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #29 on: 14 Jan 2010, 14:20:27 »
You're getting freezing? That happens to me, too, and not just with this mission. I thought it was just my frail computer, maybe WGL has serious crashing issues. :blink:

Anyway, actually I am seriously considering making another version without WGL. Perhaps Sanctuary's WW4 mod would suffice, or maybe even *gasp* vanilla OFP:Res. :P

The reason I chose WGL is (a) I really like the dispersion on the infantry weapons. It's not so wide as to make accuracy fire worthless, but wide enough to allow much more shooting to occur in the average infantry fight. Also, (b) I play on CiA server a lot, and they all love WGL there, and I've gotten used to it and made my co-op version for WGL.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2010, 14:22:50 by RKurtzDmitriyev »