Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] The Red Grinder  (Read 11416 times)

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] The Red Grinder
« Reply #30 on: 21 Dec 2009, 17:05:20 »
Edit: Sorry for noobish question, but how to make loose debriefing?

No, I'm sorry for the noobish suggestion. Apparently, there is no such thing. :P There's another thread with suggestions.
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
Red Grinder (Please Review)
« Reply #31 on: 21 Dec 2009, 17:17:27 »
No, I'm sorry for the noobish suggestion. Apparently, there is no such thing.  :P There's another thread with suggestions.

Heh, no problem.
I could try to script the outro accordingly to end, but I'd probably get stuck reading some script that I can not read at all.  :banned:
I guess that means one less thing to do . :)

Edit: Did some minor polishings. I deem this mission ready for review!
Walter_E_Kurtz, RKurtzDimitryev I thank you both for beta tests once again!  :good:

Edit 2: Sorry if someone has already noticed this, but I submitted this mission for review.
Edit in case no-one noticed.  ;)
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2009, 14:12:30 by Krieg »
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: [SP] The Red Grinder (Please Review)
« Reply #32 on: 22 Dec 2009, 15:20:14 »
Alrighty, I'll download and play it for enjoyment now.  :good:
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #33 on: 22 Dec 2009, 15:26:18 »
Have fun!

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #34 on: 24 Dec 2009, 16:41:30 »
A couple of thoughts on finalising the package:

1. Compress the picture
   - open it with MicroSoft Paint (or similar) and simply Save it again as a JPeg. It should shrink from 291 kilobytes to 70 or so.

2. Include some of the addons
   - as you've experienced once already, attachments to posts can get lost, particularly after this thread gets moved to 'OFP - Reviewed Missions'.
   - I recommend including the bbs_Dangerschild.pbo
   - it's up to you if you want to include the kkb_gate also. Here's a link if you don't.
   - it would be polite to mention both these addons by name in your readme

3. Tidying the readme
   - It might make sense to mention that it's a single-player mission and you take the role of a tank commander.

I'll get round to checking the mission again later.

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #35 on: 25 Dec 2009, 20:56:56 »
Compress the picture

Will-do!

Include some of the addons

Will include both of 'em, and mention them in readme.

Tidying the readme

Will-do!

Edit: Updated. Look in first post.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2009, 13:43:48 by Krieg »

Walter_E_Kurtz

« Reply #36 on: 27 Dec 2009, 00:41:51 »
Testing mission pbo dated 21.12.2009 18:08 (which is unchanged in the latest zip)

Intro
   - like you've done for the mission, you can add OnLoadIntro = " ..." to Description.ext
   - would be improved by some playmove commands - see the library. For instance, "EffectStandSalute" and "FXCivilFoldOnesArms" for the soldier and officer respectively

Mission
   - no low hanging fruit as far as improvements go, but there is one...
   - BUG: the mission doesn't end after blacking out to the "Mission Complete" message
   - I think this is a 'feature' of OFP, that missions can't end whilst Blacked Out
   - I suggest you modify end.sqs
Code: (end.sqs) [Select]
titletext ["Mission Complete!","Black Out",5]
~4
titleText ["", "BLACK IN"]
Outros
   - both worked

Overall
   - I played in Veteran mode and the difficulty was fair. You have to decide when to be Gunner (so that you can enjoy shooting things up) and when to be Commander (so enemies show up on the radar).
   - no other bugs uncovered. As far as I could tell, everything worked as intended: support, Red Wolf, radio messages, etc.

A competent effort; I enjoyed it  :good:

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #37 on: 27 Dec 2009, 08:39:53 »
Intro

Adding right now!

Mission

Will fix it!

Outros

Glad they worked out, but will fix a thing I encountered (explosions from tanks can be heard, so I will remove their ammo and fuel, so they do not explode, trick I found out about yesterday).

Overall

I still prefer to be driver, that's how I avoid getting hit by the enemy, combined with manual fire, works out for me. I guess it is fun for any kind of tanker and OFP player. I will try switching positions.

Edit: All that was suggested is added. Check first post for download.

Edit 2: Managed to beat my mission! It took me a while to figure out proper strategy for assault on Saint Pierre, but at last I figured out how. Don't wanna spoil it for ya, so I will not write down the strategy here. Unfortunately, I did not manage to replace the flag, but ending worked just fine (game ended just as I was about to replace the US flag).
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2009, 10:21:19 by Krieg »

Walter_E_Kurtz

The Red Grinder - Review Completed
« Reply #38 on: 28 Dec 2009, 21:44:49 »
I have commenced reviewing this mission.

This is likely to be my last major act for a while at OFPEC as I will be cutting down on OFP to concentrate on modelling, erm... Modding.

Review Completed

This topic is open for after-review discussion. Have any spectacular stories? Feel free to share them!
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2009, 20:52:47 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
Re: (Review Completed) [SP] The Red Grinder
« Reply #39 on: 01 Jan 2010, 01:11:55 »
I am, as an author, satisfied with score mission got. 6/10 is a major step forward if we consider that The Final Stand got 4/10. Unless I receive some beta tests on Operation Hellfire, you can expect beta 0.1 of The Red Grinder II soon enough. I am looking forward to make "nigh-impossible". An excellent tank mission for OFP.

I also discovered that Red Wolf can be VERY useful tool in capturing Saint Pierre, if they survive.
And also, thanks for the review Walter_E_Kurtz!  :good:
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2010, 08:16:42 by Krieg »