Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-6 Behind Enemy Lines 1.0 (Please Review)  (Read 15538 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Thanks for the feedback Hoz,

It's weird that you find the mission uneventful, since when me and nominesine play it, we have rarely succeeded, same thing with many other beta testers as well.

Did you host or play on a dedi? - We have always played it as hosted MP, maybe it handles different.
Did you disable the AI? - The mission needs to be played with ALL characters (stated in description).
Was your leader a human player?

The mission is quite simple in its structure, so I doubt there are any scripting errors, from my part.
Maybe the modules need to be handled different on a dedi.

If you have time maybe you could describe your setup/experience (server, AI or not, number of players, dogs able to track you down?, route etc.).

Like I said, it's weird that you find it uneventful, my experience is that the mission is too difficult.
This discrepancy is something I really want to fix of course.
What you describe is a mystery to me.

Cheers,

Laggy
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2009, 16:39:37 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
My squad tried this out the other night... and it was even less eventful than hoz's experience, I reckon.  We ran it on our dedicated server, with AI enabled, etc, etc.  We basically ran South for the whole time, player as leader, and encountered 8 guys (0 dogs), 1 BMP (which drove right past us), 2 Technicals (which also drove right past us), and two guys when we reached the USMC base.

Aside from it being simple, the mission wouldn't complete... I figure we must have lost an AI somewhere en-route, or something?

Don't get me wrong, the idea, etc. are great... but we just didn't feel challenged by it :(

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Thanks JamesF1,

Yes I suspect there is something with the ACM on a dedi.
Have asked around, waiting for feedback.
Very annoying  >:(
This mission works perfectly as hosted, and the scripting is limited, so probably no errors.

Laggy
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
We also play on a dedicated server and james experience sounds alot like ours and we've played it a few times..  Perhaps some of your scripts aren't running properly on a dedicated server. Or maybe its the modules. Either way its been easy and pretty much uneventful.  You can run the dedicated server right on your same machine to test.
Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Re: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-6 Behind Enemy Lines (0.95) STILL BETA
« Reply #34 on: 27 Aug 2009, 18:23:15 »
Since the mission doesn't seem to work as intended on a dedicated server I have put the "please review" on hold.

The problems are related to maybe some scripts, but most likely the modules.

For those of you who have tried it I have some questions that I hope you will answer:

1- Was the mission very hard/action packed or too easy/boring?
2- Did you play as SP, hosted MP or on dedicated server?

Sorry for any inconveniences and thanks for your patience.

Laggy
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2009, 18:27:47 by laggy »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 27 Aug 2009, 18:44:02 »
The newest betas include a new module.pbo not sure if this is helpful but you might want to try the new beta to see if there's a difference.
Xbox Rocks

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #36 on: 27 Aug 2009, 20:37:09 »
Thanks mate  :good:

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #37 on: 28 Aug 2009, 04:41:35 »
Laggy, I've played this a few times with one or two other players, on a hosted (non-dedicated server).

We find the beginning tough, usually lose more than half the squad.

But after that, if we find a vehicle, we have driven all the way to the end with no action (twice anyway).

I know the goal was to keep this completely random, but you might want to place some opfor on each of the roads south.  The exact placement and numbers in each group could be somewhat randomized to keep us guessing.
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #38 on: 28 Aug 2009, 06:24:19 »
I played this mission, one of the earlier versions I think, and drove through it with hardly any enemy contact. Maybe make a road block with a Dhksm UAZ so we are forced to go around only to find out the entire town is occupied. Or have one of the characters in the chopper fall out during the crash landing. Force the players to leave him since you can't find him and the enemy is closing in. When you get to US base, find out hes alive and has been sending radio / distress signals, and give the player a helicopter to go back for him. Make the players recall the position of the AA that originally shot them down and call in an actual strike on it. If they get it wrong, they might kill their buddy and mission failed or get shot down again if they missed :)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #39 on: 29 Aug 2009, 14:59:54 »
Thanks Johnnyboy and tcp,

Helps my planned changes for the final release.
Guess the complete randomness is maybe too unpredictable.

When I have tested it (many times), it has mostly been too hard = All dead within 20 min.
This experience is unfortunately not shared by everyone.

I think a more steady difficulty level after the start is necessary.
Randomly placed roadblocks seems like a great idea - for vehicle stealing players.
Maybe adding an enemy helicopter that hunts you as well.
More editor placed guard groups etc.

The ACM module on dedi is another important issue that needs attention.

Thanks again all,

Laggy

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Re: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-6 Behind Enemy Lines (0.97) STILL BETA
« Reply #40 on: 06 Sep 2009, 16:48:33 »
Mission updated to v0.97

Would love to hear if this is the final version.

Note: On my slow computer, when running a dedi parallel to client, "undefined variable" errors occur sometimes. This is because my dedi or client is to slow to get all the initiated variables. It doesn't affect the mission at all, but I would like to know if you get those reports anyway. I might have to wait a little longer in my scripts before checking for those variables. Maybe it's just my PC being overloaded, when running two ArmA2 at the same time.

Laggy
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2009, 16:54:19 by laggy »

Offline Wiper

• Members
« Reply #41 on: 25 Sep 2009, 23:41:20 »
Hi Laggy

Note: On my slow computer, when running a dedi parallel to client, "undefined variable" errors occur sometimes. This is because my dedi or client is to slow to get all the initiated variables. It doesn't affect the mission at all, but I would like to know if you get those reports anyway. I might have to wait a little longer in my scripts before checking for those variables.

If you mean the undefined TrackDog messages, I got them too.

But as soon as I replaced the waits with
Code: [Select]
@ ! isNil "trackDog1" (for example)
the scripts seem to wait correctly without error messages ;)

good luck

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #42 on: 27 Sep 2009, 00:39:56 »
EDIT: Mission updated to version 0.98. Ready for review.
Anyone who now finds it too easy is either extremely lucky, great at ArmA2 or CRAZY  ;)

Thanks Wiper,

I would like my mission to be "error-free", but playability and fun is highest priority.
Will dust my broom once more.

Thanks for the info,

Laggy
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2009, 22:43:51 by laggy »

Offline Ebden

• www.legionofsparta.com
  • Members
Re: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-6 Behind Enemy Lines (0.98) Final?
« Reply #43 on: 06 Oct 2009, 16:16:49 »
I putzed just for a skim of the map yesterday, certainly nothing well-focused (evidenced by my first of two observations, below).

-When all characters are either killed or injured, I was locked out of ARMA2 commands, ending the match, etc.  I had to force-quit.

-The intro, though I like how you set up the story, has a very dissapointing rocket-and-explosion sound.  Any different audio to insert for those effects?  I anticipated something that helps the player's immersion level.  Example; Allow a brief rise in rocket volume as it approaches the huey, followed immediately by a dramatic, and very loud, explosion (wrenching metal, movie-level fireball/explosion sounds, you've seen the type).  Although the final view of the huey is 3rd person, the audio should be in first-person (rocket approaching the character, not watching it happen).  Therefore, you could integrate a similar danger-close ringing (ex. tank rounds in game) immediately after the explosion before fading audio and bringing up video of the crashed huey a moment later.  All this should evolve fast...approaching rocket audio  loud rocket wooshmetaltearingexplosiontankringingsilence   silence  silencelightreturns to downed huey.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [SP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-6 Behind Enemy Lines (0.98) Final?
« Reply #44 on: 11 Oct 2009, 18:28:49 »
We ran through this mission again the other day... II always get some weird looks when I put this mission up because all everyone remembers is that its pretty boring. We are still having the same issues where we run for miles never coming across anything much in the way of the battle and as always we give up after we encounter the helo which is usually ends in just death for us so we give up. No one wants to do that walk again heheh. If its running better in SP mode we could move the mission to the SP forum and then have it looked at and reviewed there. I don't think I could give it the glowing review it could very well deserve.

I hope this doesn't deter you too much. You're arma missions were simply wonderful and inspiring and looking forward to more of your work in arma2.
Xbox Rocks