Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP/QG] Sabotage  (Read 12849 times)

Offline CH

• Members
(Review Completed) [SP/QG] Sabotage
« on: 20 Apr 2009, 22:17:27 »
Hi,
When I made this mission, my goal was to make it short, simple and unpredictable. Please try it out and let me know where/if you think it needs improvement.

Title: Sabotage
Mission Version: 1.01
Author: CH
Release date: 2009-04-20
Game (version): ArmA 1.14
Gametype: SP
Addons required: Queens Gambit

Mission Summary:
Infiltrate an enemy airfield and destroy your targets.

Credits:
Chris Henderson (ArmA Edit)
Mr. Murrey (Armed Assault Editing Guide)
schuler (Beta test)
DaKa (Beta test)
bert (Beta test)
mathias_eichinger (Beta test)
NightJay0044 (Beta test)
savedbygrace (Beta test and flare sound)
Mandoble (Light Bulbs)
Planck (Light Bulbs)
Loyalguard (Light Bulbs)

CHANGELOG:

v0.90
- Beta Release

v0.91
- dbe1_hotfix removed from mission.sqm

v0.92
- Mission restructured
  Two more groups of targets added (pilots and fuel depot)
  Mission success when at least two out of three groups destroyed/killed
  All targets have 4+ random positions
- Gear selection
  Suppressed MP5 added
  M24 added
  Hand grenades added
- Reinforcements
  If the main camp is alerted of Blue force presence they will call in reinforcements
  Three fire teams will then be airlifted to the island by a single Mi-17
  Each fire team has three possible lz's out of wich one will be selected randomly
  The three fire teams will share knowledge of Blue force presence with soldiers from the main camp
- Different approach
  If the player decides to land on either the northern- ,southern- or western coastline the enemy will "hear" the
  player coming and attack him/her directly
  The player will still be able to attack the targets and accomplish the mission but it will be much harder since he
  has lost the element of surprise
  The player will be given a hint of what to expect if he/she tries a different approach
- Minor tweaks
  Music trigger adjusted
  Soldiers in camp will now move to assist soldiers who launch flares
  Soldiers in camp will now move to assist the UAZ if it detects Blue force. (UAZ will not launch flares)
  Removed the possibility that the player would start on top of a marker
  The guards will be patrolling closer to the helos and fuel depot
  It is more likely that the player will be detected once he or she closes in on the helos and the fuel depot
  Ammo removed from player boat
  Ammo and fuel removed from boats in harbor
  Player waypoints removed
  Briefing and description rewritten
  Markers added
  The UAZ is now unlocked
  MG removed from UAZ

v0.93
- Environment
  Streetlights added
  Light bulbs added to streetlights
  Some streetlight attract insects
  Ruins added to high grounds and village
  Flare sound added
  Music volume tuned down
  Civilians added to village
- Game play
  Patrols added to village
  All patrols in village will stop patrol in "safe" mode once Blue force is detected
- Minor tweaks
  Hint removed when player died

v0.94
- Short intro added
- Chicken sound added close to barn
- Increased the stability of the reinforcements script

v0.95
- Game play
  Increased the time between detection and flare launch
  Increased the time between detection the arrival of reinforcements
  Passenger in UAZ will be able to launch flares once he is out
  Reduced probability that some enemy units appear

v0.96
- Runway lights added

v0.97
- Outro added

v1.00
- Disabled radio during outro
- Changed outro text for target Charlie

v1.01
- Resized and reshaped the high ground trigger

OFPEC Review
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2010, 19:51:53 by savedbygrace »

Offline DaKa

• Members
  • Loyalty is my Honor.
Re: [SP/QG] Sabotage
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2009, 22:56:42 »
Downloaded mission, but I have a problem with it, it says that I need dbe1_hotfix (?). I have Queen's Gambit loaded, what could be the problem? Maybe 1.15 is needed??

Also, I noticed that you have put a pic in your description. I really like that picture, but if you want, make a border for it! It is a nice touch it really betters the image!  :D

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2009, 03:22:59 »
same as DaKa dbe1_hotfix. i used 1.14 QG and got the same error
Semper Fi

Offline CH

• Members
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2009, 10:58:08 »
Thank you both for trying my mission. I've searched for a solution and found this thread:

http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=30465.60

As I understood it, the problem could be solved by removing "dbe1_hotfix" from the mission.sqm, so I've done that and played it a couple of times. 

It works fine for me, but please try again.

The mission is created in v1.14 so it would surprise me if that were related to the problem.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2009, 16:06:45 by CH »

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2009, 13:33:31 »
hey CH you fixed it :yes:
you can delete your missions by using the modify in the upper right side of your posts and replace the mission file to the top thread. (please)
cheers schuler
Semper Fi

Offline CH

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2009, 16:18:45 »
I'm glad it worked. I've deleted and replaced the mission as requested.

Offline DaKa

• Members
  • Loyalty is my Honor.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2009, 19:16:56 »
I've tried this mission today! I liked the whole idea, but what it really lacks (in my eyes) are the following:

-more patrols: I could have just simply go to the western shore and finish the mission, try to MAKE the player land there like placing some patrols on the beaches there (UAZs, troops)
-reinforcements: Why place some reinforcements, like a "hidden" quick reaction force, maybe paratroopers, or even SF
-random placing of the helos: The player actualy would have to find the helos on the island (would make it more immersive, due to reinforcements, which would make the game harder
-gear selection: I needed ammo!!  :P

Other than that, I really had fun playing around with SF, it is a very nice mission, and with intros/outros and maybe some radio chatter would really spice things up!
What I stated above was my opinion, and it was not to insult you in any way LOL, so don't take it personally!  :D

BTW: From where did you get that screen? Is it an ArmA screen??

Thanks!

Offline bert

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2009, 00:58:02 »
Right, I had half an hour tonight so I gave this one a go.
Package: No issues with the readme. A couple of screen shots might be a nice idea, especially if you want it reviewed sometime in the future. Not essential though.

Overview: No complaints. Nice picture.

Briefing: Nice and simple. Just what it should be for this kind of mission if you ask me. Both the briefing and notes pages were well written. The maps markers are uncluttered and those that are linked work properly. More plus points. :good: Perhaps some extra ammo and one or two bits and pieces in the gear selection would be useful. Not enough to equip a battalion though!

Mission: I decided to take a stealthy approach to things. After getting to the first inland waypoint, I skirted around to the south west on a similar route to the dirt track. I deliberately started off just after the uaz passed in order to keep it well in sight whilst on the open ground in the area I wanted to cross. Once over the runway and in to the scrubby area i took my little gang to within 200m of the objective and left them behind with orders to be stealthy. Timed my run to the first chopper when the two guards were on the opposite side to me. Quickly placed charge one and snuck around behind the guards and took them out quietly. No alarm raised. Spotted a patrol heading my way just as I placed charge two and retreated to the bushes on the hill. As the patrol was closing on a helicopter I waited until they were good and close before detonating.
Main objective done, I retraced my steps back to where I crossed the runway. I quickly hid when the uaz passed and then returned and got back to my boat. Mission done. Only 3 shots fired.

You have the groundwork of a pretty decent mission set up here. The main flaw is the very sparse opfor population on the island. The souther part of the island was completely empty which made approaching and pulling out far to easy. A few well placed patrols would definitely add to the tension and make thing a bit more difficult.  If you used something like Kronzky's UPS, you could make such patrols good and random which always scores well on the replayability front.

Some of Daka's suggestions looked pretty good to me, no point in me repeating them.

Keep up the good work.
bert

Offline CH

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:20:00 »
Very inspiring feedback!  :D
I agree with both of you in almost every way and I am trying to address the issues you've raised. At the moment however, the mission is more Harry Potter than ArmA with reinforcements that is magically disappearing and so on.  I hope both of you will be around once I post the next version (hopefully within a week or two) of the mission.

Ps I've found the picture with google (search "Mi-17+night" or something), don't know any details but I'm pretty sure it's a photo.

Offline mathias_eichinger

• Missions Depot
  • Administrator
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2009, 23:59:18 »
Hi CH!

I have played through the mission and I would basically just cite bert and DaKa if I would write a full beta test. I have an additional suggestion too: Add a first aid script or a medic tent close to the objective to cater for any injuries of the player.

Nice and fun little mission, keep up the good work!

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2009, 13:09:03 »
Very straight forward briefing with a list of objectives to accomplish, me likey likey, the briefing fits the mission , not overboard on details ,, sometimes you just don't need that much detail in a missions briefing and this is a good exsample of balancing in a written mission. In other words well rounded all togetherlly. (Sometimes I make up words like togetherlly) good on you for using the ‘notes' in briefing to instruct the player. Good work!
I also like the map, it reveals the (basic) essentials and not a bit more. Leaves the player with a job up to him, and gamers like that, a bit of mystery that intensifies game play (what's out there)!

Out from here I go with my colleges as par improvements
No more waypoints, let the player decide what to do after the hill. just end the waypoints there. The helos come into view.
Nice as a no frills mission, fun but lacking vital atmosphere. And to easy! The helos where protected but I found no resistance on the way out.
I would spread the choppers a bit to add game play.

In all, I  killed the MG jeep, got a flare, killed everyone, got the job done and evac'd.
Cheers, schuler
nice mission, just needs some beef  :)
Semper Fi

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2009, 23:24:48 »
Well, I attempted this one with 1.14 and 1.16 and both times it CTD. It may have been conflicting with an addon needed for one of the other beta board missions so I will try again tommorrow with vanilla QG.

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2009, 03:17:03 »
i used 1.16 QG with no probs
Semper Fi

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2009, 16:33:21 »
I ran through this one this morning.....
1.16QG with no addons or mods.
Overview
Decent pic and the text clarifies the objective clearly.
Intro
None(something is better than nothing)
Briefing
Straight forward, and clearly comprehensive. Some spelling errors though..."to help financing"-->"to help finance".........."bu it's proably"-->"but it's probably"
The one link functions as it should.
No weapon selection? Just a few more options would have been welcome. Like an MP5 and a sniper rifle that I could have assigned to my backup.
Mission
Typical specops insertion although the presence of a bouy was different as you just don't see many authors remember to put in the details like that.
A savegame would have been nice at higher ground for those in veteran mode.
The approach was very easy.(sneaking up on my kids proved more difficult.) Just a little timing coordination and I was in a barn with my scope fixed on the armpit of a half sleepy rooftop lookout.(He'll never wake from that sleep).
I shuffled across the villlage carefully swaying my aimpoint from rooftop to corner(All it takes is one unit in a different place and it sends shockwaves in the way a player approaches things and the caution becomes considerably more in depth.) Two unarmed civilians out past curfew were almost put to bed as I crossed the village mainroad. The patrolling UAZ was approaching and I circled around a single storie structure while it meandered on through the village. I stepped out from behind the building as it passed and popped them before they could exit the villa perimeter. (just a note here: I played this one time before and when I took out the uaz, it was in the open...they were dead before they knew it but a flare still went off well after their blood dripping heads were staining the dash board; who dispatched that flare? That spoiled immersion a bit)
Tried to commandeer the UAZ just to shut the stupid thing off to hear but it was locked. So, I put some distance between me and the loud motor and began crossing the open field to the strip. [idea?
Code: [Select]
?!(alive _x) foreach crew uaz : uaz1 addaction ["cut the engine","enginecut.sqs"] just a thought.
[back to the second run through] I made it to the tents while the strip patrol was headed toward the shore. I was able to douse the fire but I'm not sure if they spotted me first or not because they all went prone but no one tried to flank me. (Meanwhile my guys are calling out moving targets from the high ground waiting to back me up)
I am able to engage and wipe the squad out without them ever seeing me by using the little shanty near the tents for cover combined with the bush near the fence. I hold ground for a moment, expecting reinforcements to come from out of no where but only a few units come from the shore area one at a time. Down to my last clip, I shake it across the strip, plant my charges and hightail it back to the tent area for detonation. I decide to use my last charge on the enemies only port o john. hump it back to the villa and my guys call out a patrol coming back toward the village on it's  main road(still in safe mode mind you), they dispatch them and I spike the charges and back to the lonely boat we go.(found a half burnt roll of toilet paper on the way back  :dry:)
Outro
Something is better than nothing

Overall
Savegame, small weapon selection, a few more units to backup the rooftop lookout(or keep him awake one), some pilots to explain the helo presence, another responding patrol and something that resembles drug trafficing would help to improve this one. Not to mention, again, a short intro and outro  :D. (Hmmm, after some reflection, those two civy's must have been up to no good, I should have popped em anyhow) Looking good so far CH. BTW, Is that nic an attempt to disguise the obvious? Your work is priceless and well used by many if I may say so. Good to see you about ofpec.

Offline CH

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2009, 00:56:27 »
Hi,
It took a little bit longer than I had anticipated but now I've implemented the ideas I got from your test reports. The most notable changes are the two new target groups and the reinforcements. I had some serious problems with getting the reinforcements script to work properly in a non static environment but it seems to be working fine now. Since you all invested some of your time in this mission I hope that I won't let you down with the new version (0.92).

I thought it might be interesting to highlight and respond to some specific things in the test reports

-random placing of the helos
This is the only thing that surprised me in the reports. Since one of my goals with this mission was to make it unpredictable, all units and all objects that I've placed have at least three possible positions and this works fine when I play it. If you play the mission a couple of times up to the point where you get to the high ground, it should be obvious. However I've added fourth possible position for the helos and the new target groups have five to seven possible positions. Hopefully the possibility that all the targets will appear on the same spot twice is thereby  reduced to almost zero.

try to MAKE the player land there
If the player decides to land on either the northern- ,southern- or western coastline the enemy will "hear" the player coming and attack him/her directly. The player will still be able to attack the targets and accomplish the mission but it will be much harder since he/she has lost the element of surprise. This was the reason why I decided to let the player land on the eastern coastline originally, since you actually can hear the boat if you play OPFOR. However I forgot all about it until I read your report.

Perhaps some extra ammo and one or two bits and pieces in the gear selection would be useful. Not enough to equip a battalion though!

-gear selection: I needed ammo!!
There are now three different primary weapons to choose from that I think fit's the mission. You can bring along as much ammo as you can carry. However, since you'll be facing more enemies than before you need blood on every bullet if you are planning to kill them all.

intros/outros and maybe some radio chatter would really spice things up!

A couple of screen shots might be a nice idea, especially if you want it reviewed sometime in the future.
Once the game play is balanced and fun I will upload some pictures and try to make an intro. If the intro looks and sounds ok I will use it in the mission.

Add a first aid script or a medic tent close to the objective to cater for any injuries of the player.
It is a good suggestion from a game play point of view, but for me, instant healing ruins the illusion of "realism".  It is just a matter of personal taste and I hope it won't make you loose interest in the mission.

No more waypoints, let the player decide what to do after the hill. just end the waypoints there. The helos come into view.
When I play missions I get a little bit confused when the waypoints suddenly disappear so I removed them all together. This also fit's the new structure of the mission better.

The main flaw is the very sparse opfor population on the island.

Nice as a no frills mission, fun but lacking vital atmosphere.
I hope the new targets and some other new objects and units will add some atmosphere.

Since it's up to the player to choose witch targets and how many of them to attack, the difficulty is now scalable. Experienced players can attack all three targets and inexperienced players can attack the two easiest targets. I don't want to make the mission to hard because I often find those missions to be boring.

Once the main camp is alerted they will call in reinforcements. Three fire teams will be airlifted to the island by a single Mi-17.

I would spread the choppers a bit to add game play.
The choppers are still parked close to each other but the new targets are (randomly) placed some distance from the runway.

Straight forward, and clearly comprehensive. Some spelling errors though..."to help financing"-->"to help finance".........."bu it's proably"-->"but it's probably"
The briefing and overview are both rewritten to fit the new structure. This time I've been more careful with the spelling, however I'm grateful if you could inform me of any errors you find, even if you just think a sentence sounds weird I would like to know.

although the presence of a bouy was different as you just don't see many authors remember to put in the details like that.
Glad you noticed...

A savegame would have been nice at higher ground for those in veteran mode.
Once you reach "high ground" the game will auto save in the new version (0.92)

sneaking up on my kids proved more difficult
But you probably don't have the advantage of NVG's when you do that   :D

I played this one time before and when I took out the uaz, it was in the open...they were dead before they knew it but a flare still went off well after their blood dripping heads were staining the dash board; who dispatched that flare? That spoiled immersion a bit
It have happened to me as well. I didn't adjust the scripts since I thought that it made sense that the enemy became suspicious after a while when the car stopped. In the new version (v0.92) it can probably still happen. However, if an isolated group of enemies detect you and you kill them all before they can launch a flare (3-6 sec), the main camp will not be alerted and no reinforcements will be called in. I have tried this a couple of times myself and it seems to be working fine. To stay undetected for as long as possible and taking out patrols and guards before they can alert their colleagues is the key to success in this mission, at least when I play it.

Tried to commandeer the UAZ just to shut the stupid thing off to hear but it was locked.
Since I've given the mission a more open structure I've decided to unlock the UAZ and removed it's MG. I think it would ruin the game play if the player got hold of heavy weapons.

patrol coming back toward the village on it's main road(still in safe mode mind you)
Should be fixed in this version (0.92)

few more units to backup the rooftop lookout
How about a MG-nest?

pilots to explain the helo presence, another responding patrol and something that resembles drug trafficing would help to improve this one
Oh, the pilots are there but no drugs. Is the intel wrong??   ;)

BTW, Is that nic an attempt to disguise the obvious?
Don't get it, to clever for me...   ???

Your work is priceless and well used by many if I may say so
I must say that I am glad and a little bit overwhelmed by the number of test reports and how well written they are.  :good: