Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How to make infiltrations intresting?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
How to make infiltrations intresting?
« on: 07 Feb 2009, 03:16:21 »
Hi all, I'm doing a mission where alpha squad is supposed to enter this base best be undetected but it's the players fault if they get detected.

Also my question or interest is and I'm looking for opinions to as how to make the infiltration of the base more intresting, so it's not just the boring same type of entering a base undetected..

I don't have any gaurds around the player but I don't want it to be too hard but I want the player to be exposed to the environment of the area, but still have room to adanced and infiltrate the area undetected if they can or know how.

Like on the way into the base, what can I do to spice it up so the player feels more aware, alert, on gaurd?

Thanks all
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
Re: How to make infiltrations intresting?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2009, 05:30:09 »
You could put trigger with alarms and with it to move the bmps from the garages if the player steps into open areas of the camp and sets of these trigger, so he has to be some what stealthful. Give him silenced weapons too. Plus take away the ATs from the U.S. soldiers. Then set a timer trigger in different areas that will bring more troops, but give the player time to look around and pick up weapons if they want. Then leave the player with having to take out AI as the heli evac arrives.
To make it easyer on the player just send him and one man so triggers don't go off left and right or make it a solo mission ,,,,,, best idea solo!
Semper Fi

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #2 on: 07 Feb 2009, 06:57:58 »
One way that works well is to not give the enemy guards nvg. As long as the player stays prone, he is less likely to be spotted.

You could also take the time to add fencing to the base. Populate the bases perimeter and heavily fortifiy the areas that you want to deter the player from using. Add patrols with waypoints that utilize the timeout feature and placement radius to create unpredictable patrols, add lots of ligthing to areas that you really want to keep the player away from. You could also addaction a cutfence or pryfence to a section of fencing that replaces a good fence section with a section with a hole. Detail the areas with objects for cover during the approach.

But keep in mind that regardless of the lanes you create, the player should be able to approach however he has the balls to do so as long as he is good enough to do it. i.e. Don't penalize him/her if they charge the front gate with a Saw rather than take the dark rear secret entrance that you carefully detailed for them.

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 07 Feb 2009, 07:06:51 »
hey SBG note that the info i gave was in the balancing of player and the amount of men he has vs the triggers

good advice as allways Saved By :yes:
blocking areas with fencing is all ways a way to control the player as the enemy would, and is to your advantage.
Semper Fi

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: 07 Feb 2009, 10:50:13 »
If you do go the fencing route, be sure to give the player the option to blow his way through - and if he does, the AI to react in the appropriate manner! :D I remember one of the final missions in OFP:CWC where you as Gastovski were to infiltrate General Guba's manor on Kolgujev and steal some information on the nuclear missiles (man, that whole campaign kicked ass...) -> you started behind a truck going in through the gates, and you had to decide how to proceed from there. Run in, guns blazing? Stealthily take out the sentries along the whole fence and then sneak in? Blow a hole in the wall and hope you can get to cover before that BMP arrives? Try to go around the fence altogether? (no swimming at this point! But I think you could still walk into the water and get around the fence...).

Anyway, give the player some options, and make sure to outfit him properly (no AT weapons though, unless you want to turn it into a fragfest >_<) : sniper rifles, silenced guns, satchel charges, mines...

Oh, and be careful with using a simple Detected by trigger: due to a bug, the trigger will activate even if you cap someone in the head with a silenced M9 50 meters from the closest, ungrouped enemy -> instead use something like {_x knowsabout Player > 3} count thisList > 0 as a trigger (activated by OPFOR), which will activate when more than zero people know more than "3" about the player (they've probably seen him/heard him at that point).

Good luck!

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline eegore

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 07 Feb 2009, 14:11:19 »

As most everyone has pointed out the trick lies within the amount of options the player has to accomplish  a given goal.  I use a base number of 3 when I assemble training areas for RL scenarios, and they are designed for multiple failures.  Any objective must have a minimum of 3 possible insertion methods, 3 application methods, 3 extraction etc.  Also any groundwork, buildings etc. will have at least 3 access points.

Then things can be narrowed down from there, for instance if you only want one access point, or one method of extraction, but its best to start with three. 

For me an interesting infiltration would have multiple potential access methods.  That way as I fail my objective I can try different strategies on each attempt.  So the secret is options due to multiple failures.