Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review completed) [SP/AD] Evil's Last Will (v.1.5)  (Read 32704 times)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
Re: [SP/AD] Evil's Last Will (v.1.5) [Under Review]
« Reply #120 on: 06 Jul 2009, 05:14:04 »
Hey savedbygrace, thank you very much for your review!  :D :good: Great job!

You pointed out good things and also not so good things, it's a goodreview and thanks for your time!
Only one thing I didn't get: What did you mean with "one confusing camera angle" in the intro and "a few questionable camera angles" in the outro? Didn't understand this.

Thanks again!

AT LAST this work is over... :)
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2009, 05:16:36 by Undeceived »
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: (Review completed) [SP/AD] Evil's Last Will (v.1.5)
« Reply #121 on: 06 Jul 2009, 09:16:45 »
In the intro there was one camera angle which drifted above the chopper blades, targeting something off in the distant sky behind the bird. This may have been intentional but it was unclear what the purpose of the angle was for. Even after I attempted to justify it by thinking you were just trying to drift beyond the player to simulate drifting back into thought, it still seemed out of place.

The outro was actually the end cutscene, it had the camera zipping about around the chopper in a couple of views without having a specific target.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #122 on: 06 Jul 2009, 15:03:01 »
Hhm, I cannot confirm what you say. :)

In that angle in the intro the player is clearly (and closely) visible on the left side of the screen and the camera passes him closely, then the cam goes up, passing the chopper blades. But I think I can say that it's clear that the player is the target of this angle, not something behind the chopper.

The same in the outro. I checked it again too and in no one of the three parts showing the chopper the player is not the target (or not clearly visible). An exception is the first one showing the chopper from behind, flying away into the darkness.

So I was wondering about your impressions.

But what could maybe have happened is that sometimes the choppers are not setpossed in the exactly right position I put them because ArmA or the PC is too busy loading stuff, etc... Happens sometimes for me too (once out of maybe 15 times). In this case it could happen that the player is not seen perfectly.

If you coincidentally wanted to check it out again, you could activate the cheat console in the init.sqs to have easy access to the outro. Just change

5 setRadioMsg "NULL";

to

5 setRadioMsg "Cheat";

and then you can access the console by the radio menu. When in it type in "toendtrigger" without "" to activate the outro (then press ESC to exit the console).

But please notice two things:

1) In the first perspective with the chopper in the "cheated" outro the chopper won't be flying away into the darkness as in the "normal" outro. You will only see the hull of the chopper, because it didn't take off - the "cheated" outro is not "simulated" entirely. But when you finish the mission playing it through you can normally see the chopper flying away.
The same goes for the second perspective showing the chopper: Here the chopper will still be on the ground instead of being in the air (in the "real" outro it is stationary too) but (!) you can see Luchs as the clearly target of the angle.

2) If you stay in the boat at the beginning while activating the outro, you will experience some radio chat "confilicts" in it, because the boat drives into a certain trigger. It's not that important though but to prevent this, you could setpos yourself to another place first, before activating the outro, Pacamac is ok for this (type in: gopacamac).

To sum it up: Only the camera angles subject was something I didn't understand completely. Don't know how much it played a role in the scoring of the camera part of the review...

On the other hand I can't say anything against the other criticism you pointed out in the review! Valid points! :good:

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #123 on: 12 Jul 2009, 22:29:40 »
At first I thought what the heck is this SKK unit meant to be? I didn't the read the whole readme before playing. Afterwards I do agree this type of mission doesn't sound like all the news about them.
Although I do believe the news about US special forces don't cover such straight extermination missions either. It's just the critics, stories and movies that make it more conceivable for us that they're doing such "bad" missions and the KSK would never do that.

Your mission is one of the few good and absolutely sophisticated for ArmA. It will probably be the last one I've played before going over to ArmA 2. I really like it. And I never thought this part of the island was useful for ai and missions.

Small things that came to my mind:

Sometimes you were thinking to much as a mission maker and lost focus on plausibility. E.g. separating from the resistance before evacuation. I guess you had to get lost of them at that point of the story so you let the HQ order it to solve this. But would the HQ really care about these strayers, only knowing them from the soldier's reports? I think a believable way would be for the soldier's to care for them after all what they've been through. Either by requesting their evacuation, which would probably be denied. Or by saying goodbye in safety.
One player punishment was mean. First HQ says Black Venom is top secret, don't tell anybody and then the player is killed at once when he tries to keep it secret in front of the resistance. At least a longer dialog should give a second opportunity to reveal the secret, in danger of live and mission success.

Spreading the objectives over two pages could be avoided by hiding objectives of earlier tasks. By storing the outcomes in variables all objectives could be restored for debriefing.

Oh and one thing is really bad. My computer freezes completely at some point in the end cutscene. It always happens when the camera pans from the los muertos sign to a road with some civilians, Russian soldiers and a Black Venom member. As this is not the only report about freezes I think one of the addons has a bug.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #124 on: 13 Jul 2009, 01:08:43 »
Hey Trapper :)

Thanks for your input!

One player punishment was mean. First HQ says Black Venom is top secret, don't tell anybody and then the player is killed at once when he tries to keep it secret in front of the resistance.
Yes, that's true... When I edited this part I also thought "Hm, first you tell the player to shut up and then he's shot up because he shuts up!" >:( But somehow I never changed it, I think I forgot it pretty fast... Sorry!
On the other hand: This is life, isn't it? ;) :P No, just kidding.

My computer freezes completely at some point in the end cutscene.
Dammit, this really is annoying! :( It doesn't crash for me there but definitely there is a lag and I can tell you why: The faces of these unfinished resistance fighters need seconds to load, if there is an addon which causes the crash for you, it's really them. Sorry man...
Arrr, it's such a predicament! One one side they fit perfectly into the story and look just great (I mean this poor and sleazy look), on the other side the bugs they have and they cause... It's really sad that the authors didn't finish them! But I didn't have notice from them for more than a year and a half I think...
One thing I'm sure I learned from it! I'll take care with the addons choice for the next missions...

The only thing I can think now is that you could try to launch the outro immediately at the beginning of the start.
Activate it with the cheat console - I discribed it here how it works. I hope that the ending scene works for you somehow this way...
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2009, 01:10:46 by Undeceived »

Offline Trapper

• Honoured Contributor
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #125 on: 13 Jul 2009, 19:56:44 »
Unfortunately I'm not able to bypass the freeze. But it's ok.

Offline gambla

• Members
« Reply #126 on: 13 Apr 2010, 14:47:07 »
Hi all,
i'm trapped at the Black Venom camp. I've killed all all BVs but nothing happens now. I guess there would be new orders ? Help please ! :)
thanks guys
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2010, 14:54:03 by gambla »