Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review completed) [SP/AD] Evil's Last Will (v.1.5)  (Read 32692 times)

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
Re: [SP/AD] Evil's Last Will
« Reply #60 on: 08 Jan 2009, 02:14:14 »
I think Wolfy's idea about blocking the convoy to prevent the cleanup of Mataredo is good! I was also thinking, maybe the convoy is moving on Pacamac? And you are out of radio range to warn them, so your best bet is to stop them before they can attack?

Also, maybe you can have the brother as an optional objective by having him sent as a delegate to the German Command in order to tell the plight of his island. In this manner, you have to extract him in order to complete the objective, so he must survive, like his brother asked.
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #61 on: 08 Jan 2009, 05:42:54 »
I personally liked the convoy objective.  I liked the narrow confined setting, and the fog thickening.  So Wolf's suggestions are good to make this objective more likely to be played.  Plus you've put the work in already to make it, so its a shame for players to bypass it.

I didn't find it too difficult (but I always went up to the near roadblock to kill those guys first).   But, unlike Tyger, I did resupply at the Black Venom base.  Maybe a verbal cue from one of the resistance AI could suggest loading up there. 

I also agree with Tyger that after the convoy, it was a long uneventful hump back to the exfil.

LOL, you are right about ARMA II pressure--its holding me up on making my next mission too.  Get on it dude!  Blow off work, school, girlfriends, or whatever else is taking away your ARMA time.  Finish this mission!  I know it will score very well.

I look forward to playing the final version and seeing all the improvements.
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
« Reply #62 on: 15 Jan 2009, 16:27:09 »
Hello! :)

Thanks for your answers!

I have another question for you. It's about Agamoth's freedom fighters (the addon, I'm using)...
The problem is that I'm not sure anymore if the author will ever make a new version of this addon :( and this current version still is in beta status (with all the bugs which are listed in my first post).
But on the other hand the freedom fighters are absolutely irreplaceable (Schnapsdrosel's civilians are a bit too "perfect", they don't give me this extra poor and "rotten" charisma I love at this fighters!).

So my question is: Would this "not perfect addon" affect the review of the mission in a negative way?
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline johnnyboy

• OFPEC Patron
  • Matan los Pantalones!!!
« Reply #63 on: 15 Jan 2009, 18:18:23 »
IMO, the agamoth fighters are fine.  I do really like Schnapdrossel's though.  Some of his East mercs look a little rough.
El Cojon: "Do you like to Tango?"
You: "Only in Bagango."
Download Last Tango in Bagango and discover how El Cojon earned his name...

Offline Manzilla

• Members
« Reply #64 on: 15 Jan 2009, 20:25:27 »
First my apologies for not giving input thus far for this mission. I did play part way through one of the previous versions and I enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately after playing this mission for a bit it inspired to start working on the missions I had in progress since last spring, and since then I've been scrapping and starting new missions. ;) (My mission making skills have dramatically advanced with each new concept I start.)

I'm going to take a short break from those real soon to play some community missions/campaigns. I'm definitely gonna fire up v1.25, hopefully this weekend. It looks like you've spent a good amount tweaking the mission since I last played so I'm intrigued to see the progress.

Regarding Agamoth's FFs, I'm in pretty much the same camp as johnnyboy. I've got no problems using the FF's. Though personally, I'm a little partial towards Schnapdrossel's. I used Agamoth's FF's prior to Schnapdrossel's and liked them quite a bit. They are a good fit for the atmosphere you want to portray.

As long as they don't add a show-stopping bug to your mission the FF's would not impact my rating, if it was up to me. I'd care more about your vision for the mission and how well the mission environment you created portrays it.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #65 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:56:10 »
Great, Manzilla! Thanks!

Hey, it's great that you were inspired to continue with your missions! :D
If you have something to test for me as "payback", just notify me. Because sometimes I have a little burn-out and simply can't continue with the mission... :)
V.1.3 is almost finished (and I think that it's a huge improvement with lots of new things), I just have some tiny things more to do like a cutscene and voice recordings etc., but arrr... ::) it's hard to do it at the moment. So just let me know.

Offline Manzilla

• Members
« Reply #66 on: 21 Jan 2009, 15:10:34 »
Well I got a good portion of the way through the most recent version and I was really enjoying myself. Unfortunately I was playing it with ACE and when I applied the patch v1.01 I found out they disabled/removed a .pbo from v1.00 so I can't load my progress. I have to start over from the beginning.  :weeping:

Oh well. Not that big of a deal.

As far as my missions, I've always intended to post them here but I have a tendency to use a lot of user made content so I've shied away from it. One of these days I'll have to take some time to trim down the required content so they will be more friendly for others to play. Unfortunately I tend to make massive missions so that has always deterred me from doing so. One of these days I'll finish them up to a releasable standard and post em though.  :whistle:

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #67 on: 21 Jan 2009, 16:12:58 »
Oh, ok... I hope that all scripts works properly with ACE mod! :scratch:

Yes, finish the missions and load 'em up. I for myself am requiring a lot of addons for the player to download too but thanks god some helpful people were there to support me testing it, so... It would work! But of course time is needed to test long missions (so thanks to all who played E.L.W. :D )

See you!

Offline Manzilla

• Members
« Reply #68 on: 26 Jan 2009, 01:20:23 »
Man I really love this mission but I can't seem to get past the resistance leader. I'm order to drop my weapons and equipment, which I do, everything. But then nothing happens. I waited for a few minutes but nothing happens. Then I loaded my save just before the lookout hill and this time I waited and used 4x speed but still nothing. If I try to slow walk towards them I get smoked. Not quite sure what to do.(Unless I gotta wait longer.)

Hopefully nothing happened internally while I was playing cause I've already had to start the mission over.

Thus far though, this is one of the best missions I've played.  :good:

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #69 on: 26 Jan 2009, 12:55:14 »
Hi, pal!
Hm, unfortunately I don't know what could cause this bug...
Are you playing the mission with ACE mod? It could be that this is why something messes up...
Hehe, but I have to confess that I'm also planning to play it with it, this mod simply is ingenious! :)

But anyway, I'm still planning to make a test version that begins at Pacamac, so you could start there and try it without Ace mod in case it doesn't work.
I'll report in later today.

Thank you for trying it out!

_________

Edit:

Hi all:

I finished the "Pacamac-Version" of V.1.25 now (please see the first post to download).

It begins in the middle of the mission (at Pacamac), so you don't need to walk the whole way from the assassination of the colonel to Pacamac. It assumes that the colonel is already dead and you have been given the order to contact the resistance movement in Pacamac after hearing that a Russian Spetznaz group killed innocent people in the village of Mataredo.
All addons are needed of course.

At the moment I'm working on the next version, which has some quite good improvements in it like more optional objectives, new recorded voices, new cutscenes, etc.
I hope I can finish it in the next days.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2009, 15:56:22 by Undeceived »

Offline Manzilla

• Members
« Reply #70 on: 26 Jan 2009, 16:01:17 »
Oh you're the man. Thanks for the "Pacamac-Version". I was just thinking about a way to do this so I can finish up the mission. This is a huge help. Thanks again.

Yeah I'm playing with ACE. I was thinking that may have something to do with it but I wasn't sure.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: 26 Jan 2009, 16:11:48 »
Hey Undeceived:

One idea to help beta-testing, especially in one of these complicated missions, is to implement a kind of "cheat console" (accessible at the start or whenever, I suppose!) -> basically it'd let you select various "cheats" that could for instance bypass some objectives or force certain events to happen which would streamline the bug-hunting and fixing processes. I've used one of those in Operation Dawning Hope (the difficulty dialog at the beginning), where you can write in a string in the "cheat box" to, for instance, bypass or automatically complete certain objectives, give you endless saves, make yourself invulnerable etc. Since it works out of the box, you don't have to go and distribute several versions of the same mission, starting at different points: you can just make the missions do it for you (so to speak).

I attached it to this post ; it has the difficultydialog.h file (just #include it in your description.ext) and the script file that starts the dialog. Just run it like: nul = Player execvm "RUG_CheatCenter.sqf" and the dialog will pop up. The cheat center has a bunch of cases in it (still displaying the defaults from Op:DH), each case corresponding to an exact string ->
Code: [Select]
case "Artillery":
{
player globalChat "Artillery unlocked!";
w_base sideradio "Farty0";
4 setRadioMsg (format ["Main Guns Barrage (%1)", RUG_MainAmmoLeft]);
5 setRadioMsg (format ["Main Guns Smoke Screen (%1)", RUG_SmokeAmmoLeft]);
Player addweapon "LaserDesignator";
Player addmagazine "Laserbatteries";
};

Writing "Artillery" in the box and clicking activate will then make the script between the {}'s run (which in the context of Op:DH gives the player access to the scripted artillery in the mission). You can have endless amounts of these "cheats". Protip: if you want it to be case insensitive, just add a toLower command to the ctrlText 104 and then use that string instead to check for cases ;)

Anyway, this is just a suggestion! There are other ways of debugging your mission that can be a lot easier to use, but I've found this one to be pretty okay :) Feel free to pull the script/dialog apart and do with it whatever you want, if you want  :good:

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Manzilla

• Members
« Reply #72 on: 27 Jan 2009, 02:22:54 »
I just tried the Pacamac version to see if I could get by the resistance leader this time. It worked fine. Not sure what happened before but it's all good now. Thanks again.

I'll be back when I finish up the mission.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #73 on: 27 Jan 2009, 12:16:30 »
Wonderful idea, Wolfrug! Thank you for this tool!
And... Especially thanks for the explanation! :D I'll try to implement it.

edit:

Which directly leads me to my first question:

How do I include the .h file into the description? :-[
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2009, 12:24:09 by Undeceived »

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: 27 Jan 2009, 13:25:02 »
Oh dear, you're quite right, I was a little too hasty. :D Attached are the RUG_Controls.h and the DifficultyDialog.h, which are both required to make the thing work ;)

Now, at the top of your description.ext, just insert these two lines (make sure the two .h files are in the main mission directory, same as the description.ext - otherwise just path to them like "/MyhFiles/RUG_Controls.h" or whatever ;)).

#include "RUG_Controls.h"
#include "DifficultyDialog.h"

You'll also want to change the name of the mission and such, which you can do in the actual difficultydialog.h file:

class DifficultyText : RUG_RscText
 {
  x = 0.405
  y = 0.23392
  idc = -1
  w = 0.2
  h = 0.037
  style = ST_LEFT
  colorText[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};
  colorBackground[] = {0, 0, 0, 0};
 font = "TahomaB"
  SizeEX = 0.03
 text = "YOUR MISSION NAME HERE"
  };

Furthermore, inside the CheatCenter.sqf, you can change the descriptions of the difficulty levels. If you actually want to use it, that is (all they do is set a global variable called RUG_Difficulty to a string, "EASY", "HARD" or "IMPOSSIBLE", which you can then use to add/remove elements from your mission). :)

There are, of course, other ways of doing this, but. Um. I thought I'd try to be helpful  :-[

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"