Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review completed) [SP/AD] Evil's Last Will (v.1.5)  (Read 32694 times)

Offline Undeceived

• Members
    • My missions and campaigns
(Review completed) [SP/AD] Evil's Last Will (v.1.5)
« on: 11 Aug 2008, 22:41:32 »
Download Evil's Last Will for
Arma 3

here.

Read the review here:
http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?action=details&id=197

Title: Evil's Last Will
Mission Version: 1.5
Author: Undeceived
Gametype: SP
Required Game / Patch: Armed Assault 1.14 or higher
Role of the player: Markus Berger, a soldier of the SKK (a special group of the German army).

Description: Eliminate a target person and witness how murder and hatred only stoke more fear and death in this land - when evil fulfills its last will...

Trailer:
A little video / slideshow about the mission.

Click here to download (high resolution - 26,7 MB).

Click here for the Youtube-Version.

Features:
- Full voice acting (German)
- English and German subtitles
- Weapon switching (you can carry two main weapons) and a lot of other great scripts
- Cutscenes
- Custom music
- Long length
- Enthralling story
- Addons to accentuate the story

Story:
To Markus Berger, Sergeant First Class, Marksman, Spezielle-Kräfte-Kompanie (SKK):

You know that Sahrani, an island located in the pacific ocean, has been at war for one month and a half by now. The renegade Russian Major General Anatolj Mislajew already controles wide pieces of North-Sahrani.

Your task is to eliminate Colonel Valesh Wissarijan.
Colonel Wissarijan is accused to be responsible for numerous practices against the civil population, which reach from exploitation to murder.
He is also an important strategist of Major General A. Mislajew.

The overall situation is critical, Gentlemen. The civil population is getting exploited and is treated badly by the enemy forces.

Required Addons:
-> "BW Flecktarn & Tropentarn" by Bionic (Version: 1.04)
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=463

-> "Chechenya War Mod" by Chechnya War Mod Team (Version: 1.0)
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3182
Important note: The addon CWM_UI.pbo caused an ArmA crash for me, so if it happens to you, just remove it from the addons folder. It is not needed by the mission anyway.

-> "Russian Federation Units" by Skaven, Shadow NX and Cameron McDonald (Version: 2.00)
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1712

-> "Freedom Fighters" by agamoth (Version: 1.0 beta)
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2888

-> Editor Upgrade (contained in the mission package)

Notes:
- This is a complex mission. I experienced scripting problems (among others) while playing it with ACE mod... :( Regarding mods I think the less the better for the performance and the playability of the mission.
- The SKK is a fictitious special force of the German army. I did not want the player to be a soldier of the KSK, becaues the KSK has a very different combat mode than given in this mission.
- Please give this mission a chance, despite the amount of required addons.
- At the moment, the Freedom Fighters unfortunately still are in beta status. This means that the following details are not working on them:
      -> Facial expression
      -> Lip movements
      -> Blood textures
Unfortunately it seems that the authors of the freedom fighters abandoned the work on them so I don't think there will be a new version... But still I don't want to replace them completely by another addon because they fit perfectly in the story I developed and symply because they are still the best in their style.
- Make sure you read the Readme!

Version history:
Version 1.0
The download was removed due to some strange bugs and sudden showstoppers... Of course they never appeared when the mission was still unreleased, so I'm pretty f***** up...
I'll work on it and put it in here A.S.A.P.! Sorry, if you tested it and experienced these bugs.

I eliminated some serious bugs now and it should run from the beginning until the end. Here's the file again. Thank you for trying it out...

Version 1.01
Objects that required Queens Gambit were removed. Some bugs were fixed.

Version 1.11
Some major and many minor bugs were fixed. Click here for details (contains spoilers!)

Version 1.2
Many many bugs were removed and some parts were optimized. Please read the details, thanks. (contains spoilers)

Version 1.25
Bedges' cool "shaky cam" script was added and bugs were eliminated. Other parts were optimized.

Version 1.3
More bug fixes, new cutscenes, new custom music, new recorded voices, new objectives and a cheat console by Wolfrug for better beta testing. ;)

Version 1.4
More bug fixes, little optimizations. Coming to an end of the beta testing phase...

Version 1.5
Some bug fixes and optimizations and it seems that the end of the beta phase has been reached. :blink:

Download:
DOWNLOAD - "Evil's Last Will (v.1.5)"

(34,7 MB)

Thanks for beta testing and great help:
Cheetah, Wolfrug, Zipper5, bert, mathias_eichinger, johnnyboy, Tyger, Sponbo, NightJay0044, savedbygrace, schuler.
Thank you very much, guys!
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2017, 22:09:47 by Undeceived »
Current project: Black Lands (Arma 3)

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
Re: [SP/AD] Evil's Last Will
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2008, 16:20:23 »
Looking good, will take a while to download the addons but expect a beta report  :good:
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2008, 16:22:12 »
Cool, Cheetah! :)
Thank you!!

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2008, 17:11:29 »
Sorry for being so slow - the addon list IS rather extensive, but I think I have most of those already, and it'll be great to see Agamoth's freedom fighters in action!  :good: I'll get back to you when I've given her a spin.

Edit: Nevermind. Missing addons: dbe_hilux1 (I think) and porto. :) Looks like you set this on Porto/using Queen's Gambit without telling anyone. Aw well...sounded like a fun mission anyway!

Wolfrug out.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2008, 17:52:05 by Wolfrug »
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2008, 19:29:10 »
Hmmm... :(

The mission was done completely without QG, Wolfrug. At least I never started editing with it running.
Yes, I saw the addons you mentioned in the mission.sqm. But (please do not stone me to death :) ) I thought that since 1.14 these addons would be contained in Vanilla ArmA... :) Sorry, mate!!
Well, I guess that the unwanted addons are in the ArmA/addons folder then, I will eliminate them once for all when I arrive home (I'm at my girlfriend's right now), please hang on.

Sorry again!!
Undeceived

edit: But I'm asking myself how these addons got into the ArmA/addons folder... Maybe it really was a patch installation procedure that threw them in there (I always use mod folders at least)?
Does anyone know more about this?
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2008, 19:36:28 by Undeceived »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2008, 00:18:57 »
The Queens Gambit installation does indeed put a dbe1.pbo in the normal addons folder.

There is also a DBE1 mod folder in the arma root that holds the rest of QG.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2008, 02:28:10 »
Alllllright... :)

The mission should be free of QG now!
I am uploading it to the first post now and I gave it a new version number (V. 1.01).

Ok, thank you, Planck, for this confirmation! But I think that it is definetely not well done by BIS, putting this dbe1.pbo (and another file I had to find) in the standard addons folder! I can't understand why. And I simply thought that they were part of the vanilla ArmA since 1.14 :D Oh man... Such a greenness! :) Sorry for this, guys! I'll learn out of this!

Well, anyway, it should work for you now, Wolfrug. I had used some objects that unfortunately are exclusively QG but I found them and took them out.
These objects were from the mentioned Dbe1.pbo (the hilux_armed) and from a file called Desert2.pbo (Field toilet and sleeping bags). In the Desert2.pbo there is the island Porto and these two objects. Is is why the line "porto" appeared in the mission.sqm, the mission itself plays on Sahrani, don't worry. :)

Here is the actual list of required addons (taken from the mission.sqm):

Code: [Select]
addOnsAuto[]=
{
"CATracked",
"RHS_Marines",
"cwm_units",
"cacharacters",
"free",
"G85_Editor",
"VX_FleckcaWod",
"caair",
"CAWheeled",
"cabuildings",
"CAMisc",
"EditorUpdate_v102",
"CAWheeled3_TT650",
"caweapons",
"rhs_weap",
"CAWater",
"cadata",
"sara"

There are only addons with the "CA" in front of them, which I believe that they are part of Vanilla ArmA. Is that right?
And "sara", which very likely is Sahrani. :)
And then there are the other addons that you guys would have to download (the Editor-Updates are in the mission package).
"free" seems to be the Freedom Fighters.

I hope that it's ok now. If anyone of you sees something odd, please contact me. Thanks, guys!
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2008, 03:29:56 by Undeceived »

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2008, 13:17:40 »
Ahh! Thanks for the clarification Undeceived! I got it working now.  :D

Just completed the first "part" of the mission (one shot, one kill. Very nice tension) - going on to the next sections. Looking good so far! Proper review upcoming.

Wolfrug out.

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2008, 14:41:55 »
Great! Good to see that it worked! :)

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2008, 10:10:57 »
Beta report by Cheetah (1.14, regular difficulty, required addons).

Overview
Looks pretty good. Not sure what has to change to make it look better, maybe make the image slightly more challenging.

Intro
I have to say that your camera work is good, or at least that I like it. No errors.

Briefing
Comprehensive yet clear about what has to be done. Weapon selection is present although not really useful for me, I like the MP5/M24 combo.

Mission

Will try to keep this one short, not only to make it easier for you, but also to prevent too much spoiling the story. And to be honest, I didn't make many comments, enjoying the mission :). Going to mention them from back to forth.

Error: got this error on the flight back (extraction), see attached picture.
Requested: the chopper pilot asked me to get on board and it worked, so I guess that was option a).
Recommendation: hunalapu was not eventful.
Bug: following actions from the bug below, the squad didn't board the truck.
Bug: at the point where I have to leave the resistance guys behind (couple hundred meters away from Hunalapu) there is no text from them (maybe the one who is supposed to speak died). Also, while this was going on, they were still 2 clicks behind me in the forest before the mountains because I was trying to complete the mission quickly (didn't want more enemy guys on my back).
Bug: I lost command of all resistance/falke just before they got into contact with the enemy, that is when falke died.
Bug: why have me move back to the exfil point, where I only get a message to go to the resistance leader. That was kind of a long tour that could've been shorter if only I didn't have to reach the exfil point first.

Bug: (not sure of when this occured) Twice a radio message got repeated multiple times. One message as much as three times (can't remember), the other two times and along the lines of: Roger that HQ I'll do anything you ask me. Somewhere towards the end, possibly after leaving the resistance behind.

Finally some gentle words :). The addons add a great lot to the atmosphere. The german voices are great! Good mission, worth finishing to the end.
Like missions? Help with Beta Testing! or take a look at the OFPEC Missions Depot for reviewed missions!

Offline Undeceived

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2008, 15:32:43 »
Contains spoilers!!

1) Cheetah's beta-test
2) New version - V. 1.11 - (details)

1) Cheetah's beta-test

Cheetah, many thanks! Really!! Your test helps me a lot!

Overview
maybe make the image slightly more challenging.
What do you mean? Can you give a tiny inspiration?

Error: got this error on the flight back (extraction), see attached picture.
Oh! Thx for reporting. I was trying something there and forgot to remove it...

Requested: the chopper pilot asked me to get on board and it worked, so I guess that was option a).
That's ok, yes. Good to see... ::) Finally.

Bug: at the point where I have to leave the resistance guys behind (couple hundred meters away from Hunalapu) there is no text from them (maybe the one who is supposed to speak died). Also, while this was going on, they were still 2 clicks behind me in the forest before the mountains because I was trying to complete the mission quickly (didn't want more enemy guys on my back).
Hehe, one should stay at his squad!! ;) Just kidding, it really is annoying when the AI stays behind in the forests... Really poor.
But I will think about what you wrote because it could be that other players also run down there quickly. Maybe a fading out and setpos and fading in... Don't know.

Bug: I lost command of all resistance/falke just before they got into contact with the enemy, that is when falke died.
Ok, this one I didn't know so far! Can you tell me where exactly it happened?

Bug: why have me move back to the exfil point, where I only get a message to go to the resistance leader. That was kind of a long tour that could've been shorter if only I didn't have to reach the exfil point first.
Puhhh... It is actually one of my biggest worries that the player thinks that this way is too long (and maybe enables setacctime 4.000)... I tried to make it as diversified as possible but it really is a long way off (I'll add some more stuff).
The problem is that the special unit that arrived at the base first needs to get to Mataredo, before Falke can radio the situation And I made that this way: Falke reports the situation when the player reaches a trigger near the extraction point. But maybe I should make it come earlier. Then I would have two choices: 1) Enlarge the trigger for the radio chat or 2) Let the chat begin after a number of seconds...

All in all however, the drive of the special unit from the base to the village needs to be "simulated"... And this takes a while. :(

Bug: (not sure of when this occured) Twice a radio message got repeated multiple times.
If you maybe can remember it later where it happened, please contact me. I don't know where the bug is but I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks again, Cheetah, for this test!
I'll work further on it.

2) New version - V. 1.11 - (details)

I uploaded a new version of the mission on which I worked in the last days. I could fix some other major bugs and a lot of small ones...
I also implemented some of the points that Cheetah gave me above, but not all yet. At first I wanted to ensure that you can test a version without the major bugs (I hope that the situations work now!). I found some mistakes that made my hairs stand on end... Sorry for this!

- Finally the farewell of the resistance group seems to work! They embarc the truck and it moves on.

- I tried to adjust the final cutscene (the one with the credits) in terms of timing, mainly (adapting video to music). Can you confirm that the cuts and blackouts etc. fit with the music a little more now? The problem is... I know it's likely that the cutscenes runs differently on every machine but anyway the video should fit a little to the beat, especially when the scenes change (for example from Luchs and Colonel to the Speznaz and the resistance guys at the road OR from the trees to the sunset where Jegor is sitting and watching. You know what I mean?).

Thank you all very much for your time!
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2008, 18:11:59 by Undeceived »

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2008, 18:09:32 »
Spoilers

DePBOed the mission and came across the radio message that was played twice: STR_NachConvoy_03F
The other one was near the Venom Lager if I'm not mistaken, I'll recheck.

Also, there are some other things I forgot to mention. First, the hint to request extraction was only available in German, should be easy to fix ;).
Second thing is that in the outro I could see the units getting setPossed, not sure if you addressed that with the release of the new version, haven't yet seen that one but thought you might want to know.

What do you mean? Can you give a tiny inspiration?

The whole mission's atmosphere is supposed to be evil, chaotic and inspired by the devil, therefore you could edit it to have a red mask or something. Maybe a black transparant layer and burned or roughened edges of the picture. Currently it is too smooth and crystal clear :). However, it is not something that should have your priority, it's only an overview.

Maybe a fading out and setpos and fading in... Don't know.

That is indeed an option, there aren't many I guess, maybe someone else comes up with something good. Have been thinking about adding motorcycles, a vehicle that gives you a ride (fade out) and stops 1 click south of the evac village before a checkpoint, giving the player another bit of action but that all doesn't suit the mission too well I guess. Problem is indeed that huge forest, combined with hills don't work too well for the AI.

I simply don't know where to order Luchs after the task if not back to the extraction point...

Aye, I see what goes on. Well, as the player (at least I did) loses a bit of his sense of time by moving back through the thick forest you could help the AI by setting their car a bit closer to Mataredo, could save a few minutes. Other than that, I can't come up with any solutions as of yet. Later maybe.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2008, 18:15:21 »
Ahh! Finally finished this little pearl, and I'll try to give you as much information as I can in this beta review. Note to all: contains massive spoilers! DO NOT READ. This is a good mission : give it a spin! No showstoppers in here, so carry on!

Overview

Works well, I think - although you finally get the point of the mission's name as well as the point of the picture at the end, it's a little fuzzy from the beginning. I suggest the same "idea" (greyed out picture of the general-whatever), but with a more interesting pose than the standard "ArmA chin-down" look :D Maybe a profile, or a full-face frontal? Not that important though.

Intro

I have to admit I mostly missed this. I watched it while the mission still kicked up the missing addons bug, but then I didn't see very much - I think the "flashing pictures" didn't work out that well for me because of LOD loading...strangely the same worked fine in the outro, so I don't know. :) Also ArmA nights for me are VERY dark, so I didn't see that much. Might want to focus more on this "evil's last will" somehow...not sure. I mostly just heard a chopper all the time, and some random (non-subtitled?) voices.

Briefing

Extensive, properly linked, pictures included...pretty perfect. Might need some tiny English grammar corrections (can't think of any right now) but other than that there was nothing wrong with it! The notes section nicely explained the "out of character" things as well such as weapon switching. As a note, the objectives (of which there were many) all updated properly during the course of the mission, so everything was fine there as well!

Mission

All right! Note, it took me about two days or so of several hours of playing to get through this baby, so I might have forgotten some stuff inbetween. I'll just explain how I did things, what my problems were, and suggestions for improvements. Note that I had no problems or error messages with anything at any point, so these are indeed all just suggestions.

I started in the boat - good work on the custom resource, and very good work on getting the boat to actually get all the way to the shore so that I could "get out" - small things like these are much appreciated, especially in the beginning. And I was once again reminded of how nice ArmA can look like during certain times of day/weather conditions. Voiced radio messages throughout were excellent.

I tried for the target zone twice. Once I went the way you're probably "supposed" to go - the shortest route. I dodged a camp in a fjord, and another machine gun nest (I think) with a fire - nice work on the "what's that stench?" comment, made me check my surroundings more properly. Finally, close to the final destination, I saw a strange object on a hill. Lying down and peering at it through my scope, I saw an ammo box and a small tent. I barely had time to think "oh, looks like a sniper's ne--" and I was shot. Arrgh. Hadn't saved during the trip there either. So...try number two, I do what any self-respecting playtester would. I went far south, speed x4, to the mountain chain that goes west-east. Hidden from all possible patrols, I simply ran east until I was in line with the base, and then headed back north. I killed a small camp of three men + a sniper sitting by campfire, within sight of the base. No-one seemed to have reacted, and I gave the third survivor and the sniper plenty of time to call in. Maybe they didn't actually see me at any time...but that's fine. I'd hate to have to restart just because I didn't kill everyone within 10 seconds... :)

So I finally got to the lookout post - nice timing on the trigger, I had time to lie down and aim at the base and all, so I really was in position. :) A note on the cutscene here : while the gun aims at the different characters, you might want to add a little randomized camera movement, to simulate breathing/unsteady aim. The "camsettarget" commands are a little...precise ;) There's hopefully a script for it someplace in the ED...

Otherwise the whole lookout-cutscene-etc was absolutely excellent class! Tense and with well done radio dialogue and interaction, and finally the whole "should I shoot him or hold fire?" thing - I don't know what would've happened if I'd've shot him, but I guess nothing much (except Fuchsbau, that bastard, would've been angry) :D Superb work! Also gave us a preliminary look at the "real bad guys", and the Chechen addon gave them that special creepy "unknown" look.

Once done, I'm ordered to move back - which I did, the same way I came. So it took a while. Although I was honestly expecting not to be picked up by boat (bad weather) and to get new objectives. Well, once I get them, I head out towards Hunapu - once again, I first try the shortest route, and promptly run into a BMP-2. I try to sneak past him, but I think he had already spotted me and I was gunned down. D'oh. Second try -> went further around, once again using x4. Hunapu was nice - there was a bus that seemed to be doing things it should be doing (stopping at bus stops and such) and other cars driving around - it was also getting very dark, so I had to use NV goggles. Classic OFP feeling. I decide to head towards Pacamac using the right side of the road (closer to the sea) and head that way...no traffic, no patrols, no nothing, so a little uneventful I must say. Eventually I spot the destroyed Ural and BMP and bodies, and know that I'm probably in safe territory. I follow orders and check out the town - once again, nice work with the triggers, but I wonder what would've happened if someone hadn't followed the road to get there? ArmA is a pretty freeform game, after all!

But the whole "check the town for russians" etc thing worked perfectly, and I moved down towards the people who looked most like leaders (the guy with the hat!), and I was right. It was very nice to see the freedom fighters in action, looked like a real resistance base. :) Also the whole "put down your weapons!" thing seemed to work - not sure if I did it right, but I put down my gun via the gear screen anyway, and the dialogue seemed to continue nicely. Didn't "stress test" it since I hadn't saved once again and didn't want to have to make the whole trip again, just for the pleasure of seeing if you've made the resistance fighters shoot me if I didn't do what they asked :D

Anyway, I get the next objective (excellent voice acting etc - doesn't make too much sense that the natives speak German, but hey - as little sense as they speaking English, eh?), and head off towards the meeting point - nice extra with the leader's brother! There I pick up the peeps - once again, excellent acting, radio comms and placement of the resistance fighters - well done!

Here's where I accidentally "broke" the mission a little: as you know, the Black Venom camp is in that forest up in EI(J?)-20-something region, -straight west- of Matadero. I was planning on going north, and then straight east into the big M to avoid the question marks on the road and such, and kind of wandered into their camp - actually I saw the firelight and got curious. There were no radio messages (like "We found a secret camp!") or anything of the like, and when my soldiers were randomly walked over by the two patrollers all hell broke lose and we eventually got ourselves killed. Note that this also broke the triggers that allowed the 2 extra people to join my group halfway to M!
Suggestion: make it possible to discover the camp, but either make it a) empty/no ammo boxes/no car (=they're still out on a mission) or b) make it mostly empty (no car, just a few guards), and if attacked, will fail the "hunt down black venom" objectives since the rest of the soldiers will have escaped once they realise their camp has been attacked - Fuchsbau will give the order to Luchs to not investigate the camp further but to continue to Matadero. A c) option would be to dynamically spawn the camp when the objective becomes active, or to make the camp location random to make it less likely to be accidentally found.

I figured these people weren't meant to be found yet though, so try number 2 I went straight to M as you were supposed to. This time I also got the cutscene where the 17-year old joined the group, although I think I was in the wrong place since they spoke of canyons and things (I was in the middle of the forest someplace), but the joining worked fine. Weird bug: once the cutscene was over, one of my men had the "Mount" order and was running into the forest. Don't know what he wanted to mount, but I ordered him back. Anyway, in Matadero I then cleaned out the town (note: you need to spiff up their AI, currently when attacked they'll just hit the dirt and not move - give them Sentry waypoints followed by Search & Destroy ones, for instance - this way they'll stay put until they spot an enemy, and then go into S&D mode). Very nice cutscene once again in Matadero, followed by the next objective becoming active. Yay.

Big bug (not a showstopper): I was ordered to find Falke, but I failed. Where the heck is he? I went to the location, and the objective ticked off, but there was no cutscene or anyone joining my group or anything. :-/ No message about him being dead either...there was just nothing. Fargh. In the end just before the chopper arrived I suddenly reported in that he was dead, but...eeh... :dunno: Please note: if you've used i.e. the disableAI commands to keep Falke put while stuff happens elsewhere, remember that a save/load resets them - so either teleport him from some island, or use another command (like stop)

Phoie - long mission! Anyway, so I move on towards the camp, which I know where it is due to earlier mistakes, and set up above it, and spot most of the soldiers in it. When the time is right, I order an open fire - bang bang, feuer frei, lots of dead Black Venoms. Once again: improve their AI! This is the perfect place to create a scary ArmA AI: nighttime, deep forest, lots of places to hide and bushes to shoot through. And they just lie still by their camp fires and do nothing. Activating a S&D WP once again would make this whole fight a heckuva lot more exciting! Take it down - no losses. Kill the last loon hiding behind some barrels too, and get another objective.

Annoyance: By this time I've used up all of the three saves I get at the start. How about giving us some more? You could also use a countdown system and add saves to it as needed (like I did in Op:DH) -> Saves left (5). Whenever an objective is completed, add another save that can be used whenever. That way people can decide themselves when they want to save. In this case, I loaded up a whole UAZ of stuff, drove off to the ambush point, successfully ambushed the convoy, had a tense firefight in the rain, and then drove off - only to drive off a cliff and die stupidly inside the car trying to get to Hunapu through the mountains. Arrgh. In the retry I ambushed the convoy and then just drove the UAZ along the roads, since ArmA AI can't attack own-side vehicles during the night  ::) Useful for me this time around, and it felt pretty realistic too. The lack of save was annoying, however.

Oh, about the convoy ambush: put down a bunch of mines, armed everyone with RPGs, and added a string of satchel charges along the road. Satchels + first mine took out the T-72 and the BMP, and another mine took out the last Shilka. Objective complete. :D Very tense and nice firefight in the rain though, especially using MadMatt's effects (with the rain enabled).  :good: Would've been better with more saves though!

Drove back to Hunapu, got the last chatter (the resistance soldiers left my group, exited the UAZ, entered it again, had a conversation with me, and then exited it again. Oh well). Didn't get any special mention for saving the 17-year old brother :( Also note Falke wasn't with me at any time. But I had no problems with the convo in general, but then again no-one was dead. Then I moved over to the extraction zone and waited for the chopper - note, I had to take option b) -> I think the problem here is that you (the player) are still "assignedAsDriver" to the UAZ (or CRRC or whatever) - you can probably reassign him as cargo to the chopper, which might fix the problem (player assignascargo chopper).

Anyway, I fly off in my own chopper, into the thunder and rain, and the mission ends - extraordinary success!

Outro

This one worked very well! Nice job using custom resources for the names, nice timing, nice choice of music, nice scenes, nice voices...the quick scenes really worked this time around, no problem with LOD shifting or anything! You could have added a little more to the story about "if only I had killed him before"...but I really have no big criticisms. A more "in-game" outro might've been nice too, where we get to know what happened with the resistance and so on, but this was perfectly fine!

Very nice ending for a very nice mission!

Random notes:

Enemy patrols and enemy AI reactions need some improvements. I attacked the convoy like a hundred meters from the ? in the north (there was a UAZ and some soldiers there, I think), and no-one had reacted. One'd think they'd send someone to investigate a lot of explosions and shooting, no? There were plenty of places where nothing happened - like the whole road section from Hunapu to Pacamac was pretty empty. Likewise the mountains seemed completely devoid of movement. Hm hm. You might want to consider adding a (random?) chopper - few things are more atmospheric than being hunted by an unknown aerial assailant. It would also keep the player from just randomly commandeering a vehicle and making all the on-foot episodes pointless. For instance: after attacking the convoy, a Mi-17 is called up from nearby Pita airbase, and sent on a Hunt and Kill mission after the guerillas - if it spots them (trekking over the mountains) it'd drop parachutists on you. And strafe you with its machine gun :D Maybe closer to Pacamac or Hunapu, a friendly AA of some sort (Stinger launcher?) would drop it out of the sky, or it'd simply retreat. If the player is in a vehicle, it'd be attacked automatically, thus keeping the player from abusing the poor night-time AI.

Overall:

Excellent mission! Fix some tiny bugs, in -particular- the save game one (just add a single radio channel, with a global var like savesLeft, and make the condition this && savesLeft > 0, and the on Activation savegame; savesLeft = savesLeft - 1. Whenever you want more saves, you just add to them using savesLeft = savesLeft + 3. Easy-peasy!), and you'll have a definite winner! The script and acting and everything works out quite excellently, and the objectives are manifold. Might have wanted to use some of the addons more - for instance you could've mostly omitted RHS's russian troops addon (changing the story only slightly, say russian spec ops + local militant troops), and you could've used some of the other things in the CWM pack, such as the excellent BTR-80 and BMD-1 vehicles.

Good stuff. Sorry for the extensive write-up, but it's a long mission! Nice work!

(Edit: attached two pictures I took! One is from just above the Black Venom camp, before attacking, the other is from ambushing the convoy in the rain. Great stuff!)

Wolfrug out.

Edit: image attachments (evilslastwill_pic1 & 2) lost in crash of 2009 - WEK
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2010, 23:10:25 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline Cheetah

• Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 15 Aug 2008, 18:51:19 »
Spoilers

I went far south, speed x4, to the mountain chain that goes west-east

Wolfrug, bastard I experienced multiple hells trying to go back through the forest and had to use my medkit as I got injured in arms and legs. It was tense though  :D

I don't know what would've happened if I'd've shot him, but I guess nothing much

Hehe, in most missions Fuchsbau will get angry, in this mission he was furious at me and wanted me back to slap my butt.

didn't want to have to make the whole trip again, just for the pleasure of seeing if you've made the resistance fighters shoot me if I didn't do what they asked

Seems like I was the 'bad boy' in this mission for getting both punishment from Fuchsbau and from these resistance guys for not obeying :).

When the time is right, I order an open fire - bang bang, feuer frei, lots of dead Black Venoms.

This was more or less what happened in my try, except for two soldiers escaping and causing chaos in trying to kill them. Lost #4 in the process. Didn't have problems finding Falke before that, might have something to do with your camp discovery before you were ought to discover it.

I think the problem here is that you (the player) are still "assignedAsDriver" to the UAZ (or CRRC or whatever) - you can probably reassign him as cargo to the chopper, which might fix the problem (player assignascargo chopper).

Unlike wolfrug, I didn't have this problem but I never got into a vehicle after disembarking the CRRC. Wolfrugs idea of assigning will probably fix it.

Finally, the ambush point. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence but there was really bad weather when I had to take out the convoy. I had no UAZ to take as my hand grenade bombardment of the enemy camp destroyed it, therefore I took one mine, one satchel and two RPGs as well as two M24 mags and two mags for some silenced weapon I forgot the name of (cool weapon though). Couldn't get my teammates to take stuff from the box, no RPGs satchels or mines that is, might did something wrong or forgot about something. Anyway, put one mine down, one satchel and awaited the convoy hoping that it wouldn't be too strong (was stressing as I was heavily armed myself, but my teammates lacked AT weapons/mines/sats). Luckily, the shilka was the only tank to be left after the satchel and mine took care of BMP (crew disembarked after 1 RPG) and T72. Used one RPG to take the shilka out. Then the hunt in really really bad weather began, rain and fog hid the three crewman well. Luckily, we got them before they got to us. The final RPG hammered into the BMP (thereby destroying it) made the objective end as desired.

Thought those comments could be handy for you in analyzing bugs and coming up with fixes.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2008, 19:34:27 »
Oh yes, the first time I ambushed the convoy I got the same thing - heavy rain and fog (as you can see in my picture), NVs dimmed by the flames licking the destroyed tank, the crew popping up between the trees as fire is exchanged...tense! Would've been nice to escape in the same tense feeling. And I think the rain and fog were scripted, since I got the same weather every time I was there, and during the whole time. Did wonders for atmosphere!

Second time I placed more satchels and exploded them better  :cool2: No dead crew to bother me.

@The Black Venom camp: yes, there were two soldiers patrolling. I timed my open fire command to the moment I had both in my sights. Two quick "fthumps" from my M24 and they were down :D The rest were sitting ducks. If, as I mentioned, Undeceived had made the rest of the soldiers in the camp get up and spread out in the forest, it could've gotten a lot harder and a lot tenser!

@Beginning: Yes, I know I "cheated" :D At least I didn't do it on the first attempt, but I really suck at spotting the enemy in a forest, and if you don't see them before they see you...well...if you see the flash, it's already too late!

Great mission anyway. :)

Wolfrug out.