Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] The Hit  (Read 5837 times)

Offline Dash5

• Members
(Review Completed) [SP] The Hit
« on: 16 Aug 2007, 02:59:30 »
A pretty straightforward mission.

MISSION INFO:

Mission: The Hit
Mission Summary: Lead a four man team behind enemy lines to assassinate an enemy officer.
Version: v0.85
Author: Dash5
Release date: August 17, 2007
Mission Type: SP
Mission Length: 5-20 minutes
Mission Addons: none
Mission Requirements: ArmA v1.08
Mission Size: ~350kb
Changelog:
v0.82-release

v0.83-
Reduced available Stingers to one.
Added hint regarding extraction.
"Kill the Officer" waypoint should flip now.
Added picture thumbnails in .zip file.

v0.85-current version
Hidden objective "Search the Officer for documents" is now visible and required for mission success.
Added third mission ending (partial success).
Markers clarified.
NVGs removed from kit.
Misc. small changes.

======================================================

I'm specifically looking for comments on the timing of the helicopter, strength of reinforcements, and any difficulty you have locating the officer, but please don't limit your comments to this.

Have fun!  :)
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 12:14:29 by Cheetah »

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
Re: [SP] The Hit
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2007, 03:29:53 »
Package
The package is fine. Good pictures, but some thumbnails of them would be good (Isn't it required for the final
version when releasing at OFPEC?). Also, some more detailed contact info wouldn't be bad (your e-mail, perhaps).

Overview
The overview is good. Using my favorite format too.

Briefing
The briefing is fine. Didn't notice any spelling mistakes. The version number isn't really necessary in the mission
title. Some other people might think otherwise but that's my opinion. Also, a link to the major's location on the
first objective wouldn't be bad. The small markers on the map make it easier to look, which is good.
In the notes it says that the team is provided with one Stinger launcher, when they actually have two. One team
member is already armed with one and there is another one in the gear selection list.

Mission
I armed myself with an M4A1 and a Stinger. I did the mission in the easiest way which is possible... but hey, it's
a tactical way to complete it too! I positioned my team on the hill, east of the farm. When the Mi-17 landed and
the officer boarded it, I shot it down with my other team mate and they all died. The waypoint didn't get "reached"
when he was killed though, but I think there's a way to do this. Try changing the waypoint to type of Hold with
condition checking if the officer is killed. I think that works...
I moved to the excraction point but nothing happened. I then noticed the radio command to call for an excraction.
You should tell the player about this or make it automatic. I boarded my team in the chopper and mission got completed.

Debriefing
Nothing wrong here. Completed the mission with kills of... one Especas? :( Duration 5 minutes.

Summary
The mission was OK, but it could use some more work. You could somehow cover the Mi-17's landing area to prevent
player from shooting it when it's on the ground. Also, reduce the amount of Stingers. That's all the serious
issues in the mission...

Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2007, 05:58:56 by Denz »

Offline Dash5

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2007, 04:08:00 »
Thanks for the fast test, Rellikki!

Regarding shooting at the chopper on the ground: It's fair game as far as I'm concerned. If the chopper is damaged too heavily, the Major will seek other means of escape.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2007, 00:16:21 »
beta tested... 11 mins 1 kill.... waaay 2 easy

beta resaults

package

1)add credits 2 betaers in readme

overview

:good:

intro

no

briefing

1) i dont like da WPs being visible on map... mebe remove em ?
2)mebe have a link 2 start point triger ? 4 players opn vet who lost deir way ?
3) u cud realy make an extended briefing dat cud include : da major's bio
4) background of da whole story
5) toughts of da players character
6) situation report/intel report nd lotsa stuff
7) da whole group is set 2 playable... in general i prefer da SP misions stick 2 1 player
8) mebe remove da stinger from da squad mate nd add it 2 weapon selection ? also u have a spear stinger missle (w/o launcher) in da weapon selection
9) i think it cud b more fun 2 do da mision w/ laws instead of stinger... its not homeing so its lil harder

mision
1)mebe some patrols aorund da town
2)have ppl get outta choper wen i shot its pilot.... i just sniped him wen it landed
3) make beter reaction 4 da soldiers in da base...  have some on guard WPs nd use da UPS
4) mebe have some enemy position scatered on da m,ountains nd places
5) da extraction point is very far... i hate walkin alot
6) y do we neeed 2 radio da choper ? deres nothing botherin da extraction point
7) da mision ended w/ only 3 outta nmy 4 guyz were in da album

outro

no

summary

nice idea... buy waaaay 2 easy... u cud make it harder

LCD OUT

Project Beta Approved.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2007, 00:38:52 by Tyger »
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Dash5

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2007, 03:23:47 »
Thanks for the feedback, LCD!

briefing:

3)-6) I like my briefings...well, brief. Just the facts, ya know? But if enough testers want more backstory, I'll put it in.

9) I tried this and actually found it (much) easier than using Stingers because of how much damage they do.

mission:

6) I wanted the player to be able to control the extract because sometimes the player will be under fire at the extraction point.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2007, 03:27:40 by Dash5 »

Offline Denz

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2007, 05:31:13 »
This is why I love OFP/ArmA, we often have completely different experiences when playing the same mission.
Here's my take.

Package
A readme and a couple of jpgs are included in the zip file.

Overview
The picture is good and the text concise and to the point

Intro
No Intro

Briefing
The briefing is all it needs to be. I too, like the inclusion of some back story to the mission but it isn't vital.
Gear selection is good although the NVGoggles are not needed  ;)

Mission
Well, seeing as the M24 was there I just had to take that but I left everyone else pretty much the same, only adding some extra M203 HE rounds.
As the option of teamswitch was enabled, I decided to hedge my bets, I split my team in two. I ordered 3 and 4 down to a wooded area just West of the farm, meanwhile me and 2, the AA guy headed along the ridge. I left 2 up on the slope will I ventured a bit further down. The MI-17 appeared which I told 2 to target, who promptly fired and missed, but as luck would have it, I had ended up at a spot that looked right down on the LZ. I sniped the one pilot just as the MI-17 was landing, quickly followed by the other one. The UAZ gunner received a head shot next, then the UAZ driver, then, wouldn't you know it, the major came wandering into my line of fire. BANG! I don't think it was a head shot but it certainly hit him high in the chest. Bullets by now were starting to come a little too close for comfort. I turned and headed back up to the ridge, calling 3 and 4 to me as I went. 2 was dead before I could reach his position so basically I legged it as fast as my little legs would carry me up to the top. A quick visit to the map screen told my last two team members to meet me further along the ridgeline. Followed the ridge along for a few seconds but by now the top of that ridge was getting decidedly unhealthy. I plunged down the far side again calling to my AI teammates. I kept getting reports of enemy soldiers in front of me although I never ran into any, there was definite pursuit from behind which resulted in the whole squad being wounded at least once. It did add to the tension though. As soon as I got the hint about calling for extraction I did. I positioned the remnants of my team around the EZ and waited for the helo.

Outro
No outro

Summary
I had a real blast playing this mission although it would seem luck rather than judgement had a big part to play in my completing it.
The way I was pursued was great and really added to the atmosphere of the mission, as the enemy would surely be angry for us killing the venerable Major Caballero (great name).
A few touches here and there plus the Intro and Outro being completed would make this a decent mission.

edit: Damn, just read there is a hidden objective. Guess I'll have to do it again then :)

PROJECT BETA APPROVED
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2007, 06:22:20 by LCD »
I've got 'em right where I want 'em - surrounded from the inside!
Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver, SOG Recon One-Zero
24/09/41 - 24/04/69

Offline smoke52

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2007, 07:45:26 »
package
 :good:

overview
Lead 3 men behind enemy lines

intro
no intro

briefing
the eliminate major objective should point to the farm marker, im not sure what the pickup marker is for, you should leave that a hidden area for someone to find.

mission
i started off with the m24 sniper rifle and went towards the top of the mountain, then eliminated everyone but the officer, i even shot the two pilots out of the cockpit but someone piloted it and flew away :P i think it was the officer himself... the mission didnt fail though, you may want to look into that.

i quit and reloaded the mission, this time went low and around towards the tent but the heli came too fast so i let my teammate shoot it down. in the crash it killed the officer so i ran up to him and grabbed the documents. when i did try to take them i had to take care of a spec ops first so i ran out of the "take documents" trigger area (i assume you are using a trigger) and then back in and two "take documents" actions came up. i think maybe because the trigger is on repeating?

anyway i continued to the extraction and eliminated the squad of guys that tried flanking me, then finished with 3900 points and 5 kills. i would add another squad of spec ops that try and take you out one last time at the extraction landing area. also i suggest having it so your squad gets in and the heli flys away as it fades to black and ends.

outro
no outro

summary
i will have to play it some more with an assault weapon for a close combat situation to see how it plays. a few more things to polish up on and i think it would be a completed mission ready for submission.

Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2007, 07:52:03 by Denz »

Offline Dash5

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2007, 08:07:31 »
@ Denz: Glad to hear it!

@ smoke52:
Pickup marker is red. All red markers are enemy related. I'll make this clear in the mission.

On your first attempt, did you check the roadblock area in the woods to see if the officer attempted to escape by car or by foot? The chopper has two backup pilots that will fly away if it gets too hot (without the officer). The mission failure condition in this mission is pretty solid.

Not a trigger for the 'take documents' action. It's an action added to the officer/whatever vehicle he is in when he dies. This results in duplicate actions if he is killed outside of a vehicle (the officer himself, is apparently a vehicle.)
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2007, 08:17:43 by Dash5 »

Offline smoke52

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2007, 11:06:14 »
my first attempt i didnt check the roadblock. the angle i was at looking at the heli i thought the officer got in the chopper, so i quickly took out the pilot/co-pilot and ran towards it to finish the officer, because i was sure he got in it, but the heli took off. i stood around with 4x speed on for awhile and it still didnt end so i reloaded. everyone but the officer was dead, and the jeeps were blown up by the guy carrying the anti air launcher, so i assumed he piloted the heli himself and got away.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2007, 11:45:21 »
A straightforward, but straightforwardly enjoyable mission!  :good:

Package

Worked for me!

Overview

Nice picture, nice text. Nice.

Briefing

Had all the necessary info + a gear selection. Grabbed the M24 and the Stinger for myself (I know how easy those AI like to waste thousand-dollar stinger missiles on blowing stuff like jeeps up >_>)

MissionDebriefing

Didn't make a mention of finding the documents anywhere : maybe have an End1 and a End2 to make the distinction?

Summary

Enjoyable, if fairly short mission! If you can, try to make the Especas slightly more aggressive (as in, attacking up the mountain), and don't be afraid to send in reinforcements. Sure, they'll be blocked by the trucks, but they can leg it through the bushes anyway.  :D Would add some more urgency to the mission. Also, if you could add "saving the RACS" as a side mission, that'd be blewdy awesome as well. But as it is right now, the mission works just fine. Good show!  :clap:

Wolfrug out.

Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2007, 12:26:26 by Cheetah »
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline Dash5

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2007, 23:31:11 »
Thanks Wolfrug! BTW did you play the 0.83 version or the 0.85 version? The documents bit is explicitly mentioned in the briefing of the latter.

A "sequel" to this mission, Escape from Tres Valles, is in the works. It will be a much longer and more complex mission than this one. The Hit is more or less just an introduction.

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2007, 15:05:17 »
Regular, V1.08 FDFSounds, Trueview Mod

Overview:
Good pic and details

Intro:
None

Briefing:
Good, background story and map is clear.

Weapons selection is thorough.

I arm myself with the stinger just in case.

Mission:Outro:
None

Conclusion.
It all worked well and is an enjoyable mission.  :clap:

You just need to do an Intro and Outro now.

Also, if you could add "saving the RACS" as a side mission, that'd be blewdy awesome as well
Agreed  :yes: :yes:

Cheers

:cool2:

Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2007, 21:33:19 by Cheetah »
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline Dash5

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2007, 00:28:03 »
Cool, thanks for the test MrN!

Offline firecontrol

• Members
« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2007, 02:34:51 »
ArmA v1.08 (no hotfix), Orig. 1.06 Atari version, ModWar Sound Mod, Veteran Mode.
Played v0.85 of The Hit.

Overview

Nice pic, very vibrant. Good border, has a version number  :good:
The "OnLoadMission" thing can be changed from "Get ready..." though.

Intro

None  :(

Briefing

Good work. Not too cluttered, did what it was supposed to do. I don't like the waypoint lines on the map though, not sure if you meant for those to be on there. Notes are good, weapon selection is quite plentiful.

Mission

I want to say that this was too easy. I moved along the mountain ridge and got a good view of the farm. Had all my squaddies hold fire and we waited for the helo to come in. 

Voiceovers would be splendid, too!

Out comes the officer, and all four of us start opening up on him. I tossed some 40mm's from the 203 while the sniper got him in one shot. The rest of the Especas were toasted rightly soon after. I even got to take the Mi17 back to the extraction point.

I will say I really like the pictures you added to the side of the screen when taking the documents from the fallen officer.  :good: But for some reason there were two seperate "Take documents" actions attached to him. They did the same thing, so I figured this may be a bug.

I'll agree with previous posts, definately need to add a "Save the RACS" objective. :)

Debriefing

Works as it's supposed to. Good.

Outro

None. :(

Summary

No showstoppers, no major bugs, just some slight 'niggles' as it were. A very short, simple mission. I'd love to see some more content and some voiceovers. :) Well done so far.

Project Beta Approved
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2007, 05:36:13 by Denz »

Offline Dash5

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2007, 23:49:03 »
 :good: thanks firecontrol!

The next version might be a little late. I've got about 83489752 things to do this week.