Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Air Assault (Somewhat realistic)  (Read 3281 times)

OFPJunkie

Air Assault (Somewhat realistic)
« on: 24 Nov 2005, 00:28:49 »
Currently I'm working on a mission that I hope will be a realistic look at a company sized air assault in a valley surronded by enemies(Think "We where soldiers....1985").

Some ideas I have for this mission are:

-Mission begins with Recon team finding intel of Enemy troops on dead officer.
      -Infantry are airlifed into valley.
      -Deployable combat engineers to build fortications, gunpits, field triage.
      -Deployable forward observers (saw a forum on this...I'm keeping an eye on it).
      -Deployable field medics and field evacucations. Soldiers who are 100-60 health can be patched up in the field, but soldiers whose health is 59 or lower will be cut out of their group and send to crawl/run/walk to the medevac site....this is one of the more complicated things I want to do).
      -Limited Air support (Cobra rocket strikes on treelines and such).
      -Flares/Smoke markers for just eyecandy.
      -All four platoons will continually be replenished with reinforcements (Say that only 2-3 men remain in the squad labeled Alpha...they will probably be killed soon enough, so the Alpha name is stripped away and a new squad named alpha is created and flown in to replace whose alive or dead).
       -hard part: Kill, KIA, and WIA counter. I want to implement an idea that enemies will continue to spawn until a certain number are killed, and the allied forces are limited to a the number of soldiers they can deploy.
       -Random spawning of enemies (Easy enough)
       -Static scripted side missions (rescue downed chopper crew, kill enemy command post, kill enemy forward observer post, take out AA weapons that might stop allied choppers from moving into the area, medvacs, and such.
       -Automatic ammo spawning onto units...don't want to bother having to always rearm troops (Like I said, somewhat realistic).

Ok, this is a HUGE list..and I have some ambitions. Overall its not exactly a difficult idea, just need to build all the componets sepertly and then compile them into a one mission with a master script to control the sequence of events (I plan for the player to be the recon captain, and then the Allies will deploy into the area overtime. So for the first while it'll be just infantry fighting off hordes of enemies, then combat engineers will come in and build defences, then a field triage will be built so that field medics can run from the field tent to field wounded, and then back (Probably make the medics unarmed and invincible, just don't want to deal with too much BS). Also with the field triage medevacs can start to take place.

Also because of the whole lag issue I'm going to implement the delete dead script.  

So, what do you all think? Crazy? Yeah, I knew that already.

HOBOMAN

Re:Air Assault (Somewhat realistic)
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2005, 06:00:44 »

-All four platoons will continually be replenished with reinforcements (Say that only 2-3 men remain in the squad          

Four platoons! Thats alot of men 160-192 people + support units like medivacs and gunships. Consider the lag factor too. One platoon would be more realistic IMHO.

Otherwise the idea sounds pretty good. I'de make a stronger storyline then just some "1985" fight. (USA vs USSR can get old) When I first read your idea I'm think vietnam context would be nice. More spefically I'm think IA Trang and the battle for LZ X-RAY. The aircav. would tie in nicely with your ideas.

I like the idea of building entrenchments and planning attacks. Be sure you use an ample supply of quality addons to support this, and don't just settle for CWC objects. Your mission derserves better quality.

More info about LZ XRAY. It sounds extactly like your mission. (http://www.lzxray.com/overview.htm)

OFPJunkie

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2005, 09:11:47 »
Well, I wasn't planning to have four full platoons all at once. Just one squad from each platoon at any time in the area. Reinforcements would be spawned at the base and flown in by chopper to the LZ.  I did think about the lag factor which is why I would have to limit it just 4 squads in the area.  I figure with all the extra things, chaos, arty, it'll feel like a larger force on the ground....we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I did consider a vietnam style mission, and most likely I'll release the Vietnam version and then a 1985 version,  either at the same time or later on.  Probably three versions now that I think of it with a 1985+ version using some of the best addons.  I don't want to be too realistic, in the case of atmosphere and gameplay I want to create a chaotic environment where the player as the special forces man on site just watches the chaos, gets some kills here and there, and goes out on combat side missions.  The side missions are what I will script develop last. First is to get the battlefield environment raging on.

A few things I could use help with:
     1. What are the best Vietnam maps available and the best units? I'm weak in this area of OFP for the 'nam Era.
     2.  Thinking about a high dispersion script because I like hearing more gunfire in the background and not this one shot kill nonsense. (THe player won't be held back by this though  ;) )

OFPJunkie

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2005, 09:18:35 »
btw, thats an awesome webpage about the LZ xray battle. I'm almost tempted to load all the pictures into a mission and create a weird realistic re-enactment with screen popups/logos with these photos and historical facts during certain events......actually, I'll keep that idea for another week.

HOBOMAN

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2005, 16:37:37 »
VTE Vietnam Mod (http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=9143)

Its big but has everything

As for the high dispersion script try looking arround the editors depot for one, or try adding backround sounds. You don't need actual gunfire.

Or I just thought of the AEF invisble targets. You can have some of the  the units fire at an invisble target. (http://www.aef-kampagne.de/english/feat_invTargets.htm)

The movie "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson is about the attack on LZ X-Ray. Its a pretty good war movie (nothing like Full Metal Jacket) but still shows in great historical accuracy the battle.

OFPJunkie

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2005, 08:13:51 »
Was playing around with the Jam3 pack last and decided the first version is going to be the 1985 version using Jam3 HD units (I know some people hate this, but I like it beig used on other units and not me...longer firefights),

Conors

« Reply #6 on: 03 Dec 2005, 22:13:07 »
What about basing it England v The Russain Federation (or amarica v the Russain Fed, using FFUR 2005) or in Iraq or Afganistan using a Uk desert troopser pack i saw around here somewhere ( verus generic middle east rebels)
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2005, 22:14:21 by Conors »

Captain Radium

« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2005, 22:15:21 »
Four plattoons at a time? What the heck, I say go for it.

I have made a couple maps with an entire Soviet Mechanized batallion (four tank plattons + two mechanized infantry companies each with 120-160 men with BMPs) running over helpless defenders.

So, I only get one frame per second and it isn't really playable. It still looks cool.

Offline Kendo J

• Members
  • Britain Has more varieties of cheese than France
« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2005, 17:45:24 »
I have also tried to make company sized missions.

The lag is a major problem...

I was using a simple US infantry template with 3  10man squads and an HQ squad as a platoon .....

To make it more realistic and have limited waypoints i used Bremmers AI script to allow the units to call support from thier own platoon and from the company, also makes them move more tactically and use flares and smoke. However, they could be a bit unpredictable.

I also included, CoC Unified artillery and SnYpirs support pack. this gave the impression of Battlion support too.

I found that to simulate a company attack you haveto choose tactics that mean only two platoons are engaged at one time.

I always think big projects are a good idea however, check out the CoC forums www.thechainofcommand.net/forums for thier Enemy spawn script it is quite remarkablefor controlling enemy troop numbers. it deletes bodies and uses crazy complex scripting to make the enemy spawnpoints vary so you can never predict where they will come from.. also has some other features that may help

also please check out my missions

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=26190

Kind Regards

Kendo

p.s. good luck!!!!
p.p.s I have found that in big infantry engagements are sometimes too short if you don't use HD mags in your guns.... that is if you choose to use addons... I would use JAM 3! but thats just me

OFPJunkie

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2005, 19:48:49 »
So, I only get one frame per second and it isn't really playable. It still looks cool.

The good ol days of just throwing down 50 tanks and hitting the engines squad limit and then crashing the computer with one frame a sec, sometimes one a minute if your dumb enough to try that with a high detail unit. ;)

OFPJunkie

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2005, 19:57:58 »
I have also tried to make company sized missions.

The lag is a major problem...

I was using a simple US infantry template with 3  10man squads and an HQ squad as a platoon .....

To make it more realistic and have limited waypoints i used Bremmers AI script to allow the units to call support from thier own platoon and from the company, also makes them move more tactically and use flares and smoke. However, they could be a bit unpredictable.

I also included, CoC Unified artillery and SnYpirs support pack. this gave the impression of Battlion support too.

I found that to simulate a company attack you haveto choose tactics that mean only two platoons are engaged at one time.

I always think big projects are a good idea however, check out the CoC forums www.thechainofcommand.net/forums for thier Enemy spawn script it is quite remarkablefor controlling enemy troop numbers. it deletes bodies and uses crazy complex scripting to make the enemy spawnpoints vary so you can never predict where they will come from.. also has some other features that may help

also please check out my missions

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=26190

Kind Regards

Kendo

p.s. good luck!!!!
p.p.s I have found that in big infantry engagements are sometimes too short if you don't use HD mags in your guns.... that is if you choose to use addons... I would use JAM 3! but thats just me

Thx Kendo! I've put this mission on the back burner for abit now, since I picked up Call of Duty 2 and relized it sucks and just want to finish it and get back to OFP.  I've been spending alot of my time looking at different scripts available to pull things I want to do. So far I can deploy my troops fine...but I still can't figure our a good reinforcement script for that. Another issue, which is easily resolved when I find a good script, is the enemy spawning. So I'll have to take a look your suggestions and see what I can implement.

What I really want to acheive is a minimum of player interaction with the actual combat. I want to recreate the feeling of a dug in position as best I can while the player can be free to take out side missions like taking out a tank, sniping a mortar team, taking out an enemy field position.

In a way while the battle is happening and it will look somewhat repeatative, the player can be free to fight his way out of the battle into the bush and complete missions that will come up one after another. Actually thats why I want to create a command post. I was rethinking an idea about the player being able to go into a HQ tent, and see maybe three officers looking over a map, maybe a radio guy as well. And you can hear them talking (Easy stuff, just rip some movie lines and throw the sound files in...sounds cool, even if they do repeat over and over againl). From the HQ tent you can use the selection tool and get another mission.

I have alot of cool ideas, ands it not very complex really. But there is alot to do on this.

Oh, and I'm defently using HD units!

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2005, 21:12:37 »
YES YES this is the exact kind of mission i want DO IT and ill Love you (not really but you know)
It would be the best if you could do this, a We Were Soldiers mission is what were missing from OFP no one has done that kind of mission ive tried but on a different style so its not really the same.

It would be so cool if this was done but it would be difficult to get the ambidence right you dont want the player die when he moves but you want him to feel if he moves he will get shot.

Lag will be tough to get around but if you use that delete body script and you dont spawn too many units at once it should be okay
Also later on in the mission when the fire fight gets really going you should have optional CAS from some Fast jets lots of bombs going off  ;D

Also make you surrounded your told to go and help out other squads when theyre lines are about to br breached and once back in control you need to help another squad etc etc.

I very nice idea would be have it to actually run into the night no missions ive played have done this where the firefight has slowly run down and the day has turned into night (realistically) not just when all squads are dead but when squads retreat but few men remain fighting until theres no one, then when its fully black have squads go on patrol with Arty rounds going off.

That would be splendid  ;D

Cant wait for this if you do go ahead and make it good luck

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2005, 18:14:38 »
Thx Kendo!

What I really want to acheive is a minimum of player interaction with the actual combat. I want to recreate the feeling of a dug in position as best I can while the player can be free to take out side missions like taking out a tank, sniping a mortar team, taking out an enemy field position.

In a way while the battle is happening and it will look somewhat repeatative, the player can be free to fight his way out of the battle into the bush and complete missions that will come up one after another. Actually thats why I want to create a command post. I was rethinking an idea about the player being able to go into a HQ tent, and see maybe three officers looking over a map, maybe a radio guy as well. And you can hear them talking (Easy stuff, just rip some movie lines and throw the sound files in...sounds cool, even if they do repeat over and over againl). From the HQ tent you can use the selection tool and get another mission.

Oh, and I'm defently using HD units!

that sounds like a great idea, with the command post.

also the side missions are good especially if the player is a recon element, it means you don't necassarilly have to be involved in the fire fights but try to navigate around them to take out enemy assets. if you are using an air mobile company remember that the recon element may have a recon chopper.

I tried a similar idea in my realistic missions (1st mission of 3 so far) where the player is the recon unit and cut off commander in an ambush. the 4 main US marine squads (platoon) set up the ambush while the player can be free to roam taking out retreating enemy and ambushing from the rear.

I mentioned the Bremmer's ai script because it made life easy with the platoon squads. All I had to do was use a move/sentry or guard waypoint. There is an element of AI decision making. For example, when outnumbered a squad will call for back up. The squad will try to move into a better position or out flank advance or retreat depending on enemy strength.

The squads will split up with one unit as spotter and the rest on the flank or rear ready to engage when the spotter sees a contact. Other benifits are flares and smoke.... but most importantly it gives the impression of a chain of command with platoon radio networks.

It is not everyones favorite script but just try this one exersize in the editor.
1. add a player in a stand alone group,
2. Make a Platoon, set them up in a plt formation...
3. implement the AI script with a chain of command, e.g. the HQ squad calls support from all squads, but each squad can only call support from one squad for specific reasons, like an AT squad for tanks etc....
4. Add a moveable marker script (i took mine from the group link 2 script), it is so you can watch the squads on the map. Make sure you set the radio call signs, so when they make a call you know which squad is talking
5. add some advancing enemies
6. watch the battle on the map see how the groups move about of thier own accord due to the script  

Regards
Kendo

p.s.
456820 is a great reviewer, and i am sure he would love this mission..... so would I. Just make sure it is realistic thats all i care about.

p.p.s
good luck try not to spend too much time on Call of duty!

p.p.p.s
the snYipr support script allows you to spawn freindlies too... any unit you want, I played with it to have Jam units and other addon infantry jump from choppers, drive up in APC's and trucks. You can recon an area and implement this, as if you were calling in safe positions for deployment However, because the units are spawned it is difficult to get a script like bremmers to run on them not to mention any bunker/fighting holes/foxholes scripts you might include

p.p.p.p.s here is the link to the enemyspawn script on CoC... it is called enemystack
http://www.thechainofcommand.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?s=7eabde1ba0459fd4e813f1520b4797b6;act=ST;f=12;t=173
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2005, 18:19:17 by Kendo J »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2005, 22:06:43 »
maybe a radio guy as well. And you can hear them talking (Easy stuff, just rip some movie lines and throw the sound files in...sounds cool, even if they do repeat over and over againl).

oh that reminds me if you want PM me since ive got some script which makes an enemy Radio appear to give radio signals and radio chatter (in russian though) but if you would like a look i could easily stick together a demo mission for you

Its great for static radio's when you get to a certain area you will have random chances of hearing up to 8 different radio sounds in any order it could be modified to have a 100 radio sounds if you want but i couldnt be bothered

Also the script has Russian language reall radio sounds taken from the cold war era about the race to space or atleast i think thats what it said where i download it

456820 is a great reviewer, and i am sure he would love this mission..... so would I. Just make sure it is realistic thats all i care about

Thanks and indeed i would love this mission i would love to test this several times

oh and Key Cats grouplink Script may be usefull for the enemy to call for support from random squads and call in artillery its better then Bremners AI but Bremners AI is more usefull in many missions as you can assighn specific squads for different taks instead of Key cats just lump all the squads together and a squad will randomly call for support of any squad

anyway good luck with this mission it sounds great

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2005, 13:57:09 »
oh and Key Cats grouplink Script may be usefull for the enemy to call for support from random squads and call in artillery its better then Bremners AI but Bremners AI is more usefull in many missions as you can assighn specific squads for different taks instead of Key cats just lump all the squads together and a squad will randomly call for support of any squad

456820, is right... But you may need to find something alternative. no matter how much I pimp these two amazing scripts, they are slightly outdated.

When i use either script i limit it to the very basics. i only use about 35% of the scripts.
The reason for this is that both scripts do not contorl aircraft very well Not to mention the outdated artillery.

The only artillery i ever consider is CoC Ua.