Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] The Uprising v2.0  (Read 19695 times)

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
Re: The Uprising v1.8
« Reply #60 on: 10 Jul 2007, 22:15:59 »
Wow, what randomness that a few days after someone inquires about my mission, I log in and see it.

I just bought ArmA so am getting back into the franchise, but would definitely like to tie a bow in this mission and get it at least reviewed.  I'll find the 1.8 version and will try to post it up to get it officially reviewed.  The server crashed just after I put it for review last time. 

Offline OAM

• Members
« Reply #61 on: 10 Jul 2007, 22:26:26 »
Ya do you have a link still around that works, I'd like to try this too.

Offline Patrick Reckitt

• Members
« Reply #62 on: 10 Jul 2007, 23:02:35 »
You can get 1.6 from mikero's beta hosting site, but I can't find a 1.8 one.

Offline OAM

• Members
« Reply #63 on: 11 Jul 2007, 00:20:53 »
Yes I found the 1.6, trying it, quite nice.  I'll give a report on it I guess, but after I get a bit into the rebellion.  Just one question, do all the ? marks have caches?

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
« Reply #64 on: 11 Jul 2007, 17:20:13 »
Every town DOES have a cache somewhere in its vicinity. 

Offline OAM

• Members
« Reply #65 on: 11 Jul 2007, 18:43:52 »
OK, here is the story so far.

For my basic idea, having exprience with command like this before, was to order all my units into big groups to ride out the storm as I was in transit to the various towns.  The main camps would be the four non-town locations.  I would try and secure the South.  Didn't get any info in Levie or whatever ir North of you, but the other three towns in the South I secure and nabed one leader right at the 45 minute mark.  By this time I have noticed some of the dismounted troops might not be able to make it to a nearby location, so I have a huge gather in Morton and a smaller one in Levie, and those are the two biggest unsecured places near my base.  Also a small gathering at the hospital and one fuel station in the East as they seemed to be out of the way.  Plus Some one unit by its lonesome in Regina and the very South town, as they really couldn't get anywhere I think.  Went up the east side of the island, secured the two towns there, by my driver said fuel low, I called a chopper from the airport to go to the naval base and we met up, no civies told me anything there.  Flew to Entre Duex or whatever it is.  Secured it, but time was running out.  Flew to the airport, but didn't find anything, so flew back to Camp Patton.  Searched and secured, should of done that first lol.  Got my attack helos in the air incase they got destroyed on the ground.  Uprising started.

Wasn't as bad as I expected.  Levie, despite not being secured, had very little rebels.  I quickly sent troops to secure Le Moule, the two east towns, and the two towns between base, Entre Duex, and the two towns North of Morton.  Sent Armor to Montigiac, with air suppot.  Went pretty well, but the forces near Le Moule suffered heavy losses and contine to do so.  My immediate goal is Laminatn, but I don't have enough forces in the area, the mansion is under attack too.  I'm also feeling inscure in the fact that the airport is under enough attack I shouldn't really move anything away, and there is a long section of rebel control from Graveta to the airport I can't really do anything about at the moment.

And that is how far I've played, will play more later.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #66 on: 12 Jul 2007, 16:10:01 »
This was one of the better missions I played. Good enough in fact to keep on my hard drive. I look forward to it being reviewed it deserves to be 'out there'.

I only have V1.7 here, and the readme does not say what version, only the Overview
Just say no to bugz

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
« Reply #67 on: 12 Jul 2007, 19:35:06 »
OK, here is the story so far.

your experience written here is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was hoping to achieve with this mission.  Some victories, some challenges, some downright losses, but a tough fight that is ever changing and unpredictable, including each time you play.  Thanks a whole lot in describing the action so far.  I am definitely interested in seeing how it plays out, as I have yet to read of someone winning this mission.  Heck, I wrote the darn mission, and I have only beaten it twice, on very hard difficulty, that is.

Thanks again.

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
Re: The Uprising v2.0 (Review Please)
« Reply #68 on: 01 Jul 2008, 21:47:16 »
Wow, ok, finally got around to putting up the final version of this mission, 2.0.

First created in 2005, hasnt been changed since the latest version (posted just before the crash) in early 2006.

Hope you guys enjoy it.  Hopefully I can get it reviewed now.

Thanks

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #69 on: 03 Jul 2008, 00:08:06 »
Hi mark, just short of a year here hey? has it been beta tested lately anywhere else?  i remember playing this years ago! i will have a look at it again. this is a big long mission, requiring allot of skills from the player too  ;)  if i remember right a lot of reading for good game play too.  :yes:
cheers schuler

Semper Fi

Offline limmy3

• Members
  • OFP crazy!
« Reply #70 on: 03 Jul 2008, 04:08:25 »
Hi fellows,

what I can say so fare is ... wow.

But it is to early to give a mission report.

What I miss ... aren't there any females on Everon.

If not ... I would uprise, too ...   :-*

Female are the long-tongued ones.  :D

Regards limmy3

The only necessary for triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
« Reply #71 on: 03 Jul 2008, 04:30:51 »
Hi mark, just short of a year here hey? has it been beta tested lately anywhere else?  i remember playing this years ago! i will have a look at it again. this is a big long mission, requiring allot of skills from the player too  ;)  if i remember right a lot of reading for good game play too.  :yes:
cheers schuler

yeah, the mission briefing is a bit long, but I like that kind of stuff.  Hope you have fun playing.  It hasnt been seen/tested anywhere but good ol' OFPEC.

Thanks

Offline limmy3

• Members
  • OFP crazy!
« Reply #72 on: 03 Jul 2008, 18:09:12 »
Hello markb50k,

this is my mission review played in GRAA 3.0 mod:

Overview  :good:
Short and very good.
A version number is there ... great.  :D

Intro  :good:
Very good and a short informative story.

Cutscenes  :good:

Outro
Didn't come that far yet.  :(

Briefing  :good:
Very informative and detailed.
I love such briefing where all information you need for your job are available.

Readme   :good:
Detailed with the Command Engine.
What I didn't realize at my first moves that you can't question the civilians during the step visit
to the troops. I noticed that after I read it in this threat.

Mission  :good:
Well, what I said the day before ... wow.

The first try I did was by car and I drove around to the locations of the companies and had my first inspections.
After that hour of sight seeing the meaning of life began.
I tried to locate all caches and leader by car and by playing it a while I decided to start all over again from the beginning.

This is my second try now.
After the sight seeing I decided to travel by helicopter which would be much faster than by car.
I managed to find 5 caches and one leader till the uprise began.
Unfortunately the helicopter pilot wouldn't always do what I wanted him to do.
Often when I ordered him to land her started again and I needed several tries to leave the heli.
And when I was on the ground the pilot decided to start and once again I had to tell him to land.
This cost me several minutes of course which I could have spend finding the caches or another leader.

The way this mission is build to just fantastic and very interesting.  :D  :clap: :good:

Even when I save the game ... and I do that quite often by placing a number in front of the safe.fps name.
This gives me the possibility to continue my testing ... and I died several death by now.

What I've written the day before with the females is meant in serious.  :yes:
Placing or changing some of the male units against females would bring another touch.
I notice that the civilian units are not placed randomly by an engine. This would make it easy to change a few males into females.
Rather than an operation them ...  ;)

After I have arrested one leader I was informed that in a certain time the uprising will begin.
Very good to know how much time is left to find another leader or cache. This won't make it easier but you can hurry up.
Unfortunately the time to find all things is not much and I've had to do a lot to come so far.

Summary  :good:
This mission will keep a player busy for a long time.
You have to think tactically and strategical. That makes this mission to a high light and the Game OFP to a real tactical simulation.
What was time costly that I had to change every company separately to a different behaviour.

So keep on going and finish this mission to perfection.  :D

Regards limmy3

Edit: Images lost in the crash of Nov '09
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2009, 23:57:29 by Walter_E_Kurtz »

Offline markb50k

• Members
  • That's a bunch of bunk
    • Galactic Simulation
« Reply #73 on: 03 Jul 2008, 18:52:41 »
Thanks for the info.  Hopefully you can finish it to see the outtros, they are cool, i think.

- females.  I could replace some of the civilians with females, BUT, since every civilian COULD become a rebel, you may see that a female civilian turns into a male rebel!  If you don't mind that one bit of unrealistic behavior I wouldnt have a problem making some of the civvies female.

- finishing the mission.  It seems the greatest factor preventing this mission from being reviewed is people sticking with it enough to finish it.  Here are my hints/suggestions to completing it (from what I can remember, i havent played OFP in over a year).

NOTE:  THESE ARE HINTS THAT COULD BE CONSIDERED 'GAMING' THE MISSION, SO IF YOU DONT WANT TO GET THIS KIND OF INFO DONT READ IT.

- every civilian starts the game with a friendlyness towards the US, 1 to 100, randomly generated.  You can set the overall friendlyness to the US on the start of the mission.  once that overall number is generated, then based on that overall number and the individual number of each civilian, each civvie is now considered UNFRIENDLY, NEUTRAL, or FRIENDLY.  As you do bad things like kill civvies or arrest the wrong people, the overall number will go down, but each civilians friendliness rating will not change.  Same thing with if you do good things like finding weapons caches or arresting leaders.

- The only way a civilians individual number changes is when they talk to you.  remember that every time you talk to a civilian, that particular civilian becomes less likely to help you next time, their friendliness rating goes down.  For some really friendly civilians, you could probably ask them upwards of 10 times in a row before they become neutral towards you and wont give info.  So, the key is to try and get vital information (location of a weapons cache/ location of a leader) as early as possible when you talk to them.  So, I save before I talk to a civilian, almost everytime.  If the civilians answer is negative i move on, since that guy isnt going to help you anyway, and no use to make him more against you.  If the civilians answer is nuetral, then the civilian is POSSIBLY friendly to you, so you should reload and try again until they give you a piece of vital info.  If you save/reload several times and the answer is always neutral, then that civilian is probably NUETRAL already.

Once they give you a piece of info, immediately act on that info.  find the cache, or arrest the leader.  if the cache is close, after you find it, go BACK to that civilian and ask again, saving/reloading until you get another piece.  Using this method you can pump a few good pieces of info from the same person.

- Realize that for every city and base their is a hidden cache, but also realize that if the cache at a city is discovered, NO REBELS will ever be created there.  When the uprising begins, if a civilian is UNFRIENDLY to you, he will have to travel to the nearest cache before he becomes a rebel, so you can use some strategy of where you concentrate your efforts.  If you discover a bunch of caches but leave one undiscovered, most likely all civilians in the area who are trying to become rebels will travel to that spot, so you can follow them and wait to ambush them when they switch over to a rebel. 

I really hate to expose these secrets on how the inner workings of the code work, but I really want someone to finish it.  Even with following all of these suggestions and finding other strategies to take advantage of the game AI, the battle will still be very tough to beat.

Offline limmy3

• Members
  • OFP crazy!
« Reply #74 on: 04 Jul 2008, 03:37:43 »
Hi markb50k,

- females.  I could replace some of the civilians with females, BUT, since every civilian COULD become a rebel, you may see that a female civilian turns into a male rebel!  If you don't mind that one bit of unrealistic behavior I wouldnt have a problem making some of the civvies female.
:no: I think that this unrealistic behaviour may turn realistic. You wouldn't notice the difference if the bullet which is send in your direction is from a male or female you would just try and stop him or her. And as combatants wear uniforms that is realistic. So may suggestion is to change a few males into females.
By the way it's unrealistic that an islands population is male only.  ;)

- finishing the mission.  It seems the greatest factor preventing this mission from being reviewed is people sticking with it enough to finish it.  Here are my hints/suggestions to completing it (from what I can remember, i havent played OFP in over a year).
:yes: I'll try both ways.  >:D

I really hate to expose these secrets on how the inner workings of the code work, but I really want someone to finish it.  Even with following all of these suggestions and finding other strategies to take advantage of the game AI, the battle will still be very tough to beat.
:yes: but sometimes it's necessary to find bugs or mistakes to come right to the end. I suggest to leave this for a week and then delete the hints.

(from what I can remember, i havent played OFP in over a year)
Don't you feel deprived of not playing OFP?  ???  :whistle:

Regards limmy3