Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Implent a RSS feed?  (Read 3762 times)

Offline eisa01

• OFPEC Patron
  • I'm a llama!
Implent a RSS feed?
« on: 26 Jun 2005, 16:12:52 »
I've just found out how cool RSS feeds are. Have you considered implementing one? It would be a great addition to an already magnificent site!

Oh, and will you sell Armed Assault through Amazon so we can support you that way?

qqqqqq

Re:Implent a RSS feed?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2005, 18:33:06 »
What's an RSS feed?    

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2005, 18:42:32 »
OFPEC doesn't sell games and has no connection to BIS or Codemasters.

You should direct your question on that subject to BIS not OFPEC.

Planck
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2005, 18:43:23 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2005, 19:44:48 »
I think he means the referer thingy on Amazon (Not totaly sure, but something like you put a link somewhere, and every time someone buys it via that link, you get x% of the money)

An RSS feed is an XML file, normaly containing news
For example.. http://fxfeeds.mozillazine.org/rss20.xml

All the site would need to do is make a PHP script, that writes the news out, instead of the nice tables on the homepage, as an XML page, and link to it. Then people could add it to a Live Bookmark thing on Firefox, or a RSS News Reader Program (Some have featrures like news-ticker on desktop, theres programs to change the XML to text files that are saved to an iPods notes section etc etc..)

A nice idea, one that I suggested to OFP.info, but they've not done anything on this  :o... >:(
- Ben

Offline eisa01

• OFPEC Patron
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2005, 12:13:52 »
Yeah, I meant the Amazon affiliate program. I think you had it when Resistance came out.

I suggested it to ofp.info too, they said it was coming. So hurry up and you can beat them ;)

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2005, 16:10:44 »
OFPEC's ISP doesn't allow us to advertise, so selling OFP through Amazon is not possible.
An RSS feed is a good idea, which has been mentioned in the past. Not that I want to discourage any input, but I'm guessing someone is gonna get in here, saying: No time, perhaps in the future ... you guys know the drill.
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2005, 18:10:56 »
Back in the day when we were tight with Codemasters, we had a deal with them whereby we sold Resistance and OFP through affiliate. We got 'x' per copy sold, but that was before the server swap, back in the day when we were with an American company for hosting and paying our our arse for it. (Although the service was excellent, and the American girl on the helpdesk did soooo love my Scottish accent!). We stopped that shortly after moving to HuBBa's Beast due to the above mentioned legal reason.

Believe as already said, that still stands. Good idea though, although to be honest, it didn't really pay off that much. People generally get it in the shops, as returns and whatnot are much easier than through post. :)
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2005, 14:42:06 »
Assuming the site uses PHP/MySQL for the stuff,  it would be easy enough to let someone know the basic layout of the database (Basicly the title/content colum names), then someone could put together the code, send it to you and you could put in user/pass/database/table name and upload it.

The code's easy enough to do, just write the title and news item to the XML in the right format, and repeat that for the past x news items. The script that does this is run everytime the news is added, say

Or, not sure if the server works with it, but you can sometimes put PHP in an .xml file, and basicly write the RSS, with some PHP in the right places. Much simpler

Would be nice to have, and it's only an extra script and one file, doesn't really change anything (Apart from linking it somewhere, but thats it)
- Ben

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2005, 15:12:55 »
ummmm, could we go back to basics folks and define what's in it for us? What is it where 'feeding', or what is it we're being 'fed'?
Just say no to bugz

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2005, 16:56:02 »
Well we would 'feed' the latest updates from the Intel Depot, so that users with a RSS-Reader could download the feed and read it without visiting the site.

DBR_ONIX, we know how to write RSS syndication scripts, that's not the point. I'm just curious what would be the point of having RSS?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2005, 18:32:15 »
As for the RSS Feed, as my Corporal of Horse would say;
"You are nothing but a weak, idle individual!!"

(Of course, he doesn't say it to me... Yet..)

Nah, nice idea, but I think the five seconds it takes to visit the site and scan the front page, doesn't really merit it. Besides, we want to keep people coming back to the site, because the psychology of it is, you give people external sources with which to access your information, it actually pushes the site further from their mind, then one day....

Never come back...

Then OFPEC have to start culling Staff, stop paying Sui his five bowls of rice a day, and send Ktoo back to the coal mines.

Think of the children!!!
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #11 on: 01 Jul 2005, 00:17:47 »
Surely Wolfsbane that was a typo. Didn't you mean to feed Sui five BOWELS of rice each day?
Just say no to bugz

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #12 on: 01 Jul 2005, 01:07:07 »
Then OFPEC have to start culling Staff, stop paying Sui his five bowls of rice a day, and send Ktoo back to the coal mines.

Five? I've only ever seen three! Man... there's obviously some corruption happenining around here somewhere...

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #13 on: 01 Jul 2005, 12:36:02 »
Mjmm Mjmm Mjmm ...

Who, where, what rice?

::)
Get those missions out there you morons!

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #14 on: 01 Jul 2005, 23:44:13 »
DBR_ONIX, we know how to write RSS syndication scripts, that's not the point.
Indeed, the point is "will you" :P

I'm just curious what would be the point of having RSS?
If it's there, people will find a reason for it :P
Like I've mentioned theres programs to download an RSS feed to an iPods note section, which can be usefull, just shove the ipod on the dock, and it automaticly downloads the news (most have default news things of yahoo or google). Also you could use it too see if the news has been updated. Yeh you could check the sites, but things that make life easier can't be bad :P

Hmm... Also.....RSS Feeds generate rice...
(Where'd all this talk of rice come from anyway? :hmm: :P)
- Ben