Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Bay of Pigs  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Blacknite

• Members
  • Chiefs runs the navy!
Bay of Pigs
« on: 28 May 2005, 13:30:02 »
Does anybody want to try and make a mission about the Pay of Pigs invasion on Cuba?

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Re:Bay of Pigs
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2005, 18:27:08 »
erm well i dont know anything about that so how about just explaining a bit.
but it does sound interesting

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2005, 21:48:15 »
It sounds interesting, but I do have one question:

What role will the player play?

My knowledge on this incident in poor, but weren't all the Cuban rebels at the Bay of Pigs massacred because weapons were not delivered to them?

So would the player play the role of a Cuban rebel without a weapon or a Cuban army soldier massacuring unarmed men? ::)

bluehand

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2005, 22:33:40 »
You could always trigger one of those cti-type scenarios, where you do indeed come ashore unarmed and get to watch horrified while your fellows are massacred, but enough stealth and cunning allows you to escape the beach area.
Then you have to stay alive, while stealing a weapon, and taking the fight to the enemy.  Sabotage installations, steal supplies, all that Resistance stuff, which is presumably what the rebels were planning to do anyway?  There weren't enough to tackle the army head-on, were there?
All the time, some kind of Castro-AI script is directing larger & larger forces to hunt you down wherever you last struck.  Perhaps ending with an assassination attempt?

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2005, 00:33:43 »
weren't all the Cuban rebels at the Bay of Pigs massacred because weapons were not delivered to them?

No no no.... Of course they had weapons. There were a number of reasons why the invasion failed, but the main one was that the US (Kennedy administration) decided NOT to follow thru and support the invaders (via CAS), although that was the original plan.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline MachoMan

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • KISS, Keep it Simple Stupid
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2005, 14:08:40 »
This could be done, we already have a "cuba island". A campaign would be very nice! :)
Get those missions out there you morons!

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2005, 14:43:28 »
No no no.... Of course they had weapons. There were a number of reasons why the invasion failed, but the main one was that the US (Kennedy administration) decided NOT to follow thru and support the invaders (via CAS), although that was the original plan.
Oh, I knew they weren't supported by the Kennedy administration, but I also thought they didn't have any weapons.  I thought the support they were supposed to get was in the form of weapons.  I guess I'll have to take another look at my history book ::)

@bluehand
That sounds like a good idea.

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2005, 16:25:27 »
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Dubieman

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2005, 22:14:57 »
Simulate a succesful Bay of Pigs in a campaign like Machoman said. The rebels are succesful and push inland....

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2005, 22:43:00 »
yes, that does sound good. I would do something like that, but time is a problem, especially with RL issues. :P
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Dubieman

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2005, 03:01:53 »
Become a hermit inside your house and play OFP forever...
Its the only way to get things done, but there are the expenses of having an errand runner and actually somehow making money to keep the house you've imprisoned yourself in. :P ;D

patriotpac_3

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2005, 14:02:10 »
Do you know of any Cuban addons in the works?  Somewhere I heard something about these Cuban units with their commands all in Spanish and a Fidel Castro with a cigar smoking animation.

Bay of Pigs is a cool idea.  Another might be an invasion of Cuba in response to the 1962 missile crisis.  Either way, your character should end up taking down Castro's government.  
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2005, 14:02:39 by Patriot »

madmaxjunior

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2005, 16:46:02 »
Why do you have to fight on the anti-castro side? i mean the bay of pigs was a disaster because the americans left the rebels without any support against what ended up to be a rather heavily defended position, ofcourse the only CIA agent there did manage to make an escape by finding (if i recall correctly) a small boat after swimming out for a while or somthing along those lines.
        To be honest i would rather be fighting for Castro than on the American side because atleast with Castro you would know you would get support! (basically cause his own hide is in danger but the reason dont matter when ur the guy on the ground!

However A rebel mission where you are the only one left surviving is quite a good idea.

BTW: Dont mean to offend anyone here if (as im guessing) some of you are american. Its just that your government does have a habit of helping resistance groups then abandoning them to be slaughtered!

OVERALL GR8 IDEA THOUGH!

madmaxjunior

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2005, 16:49:53 »

I believe some of the weapons originally delivered werent very good and were lacking firing pins and were just generally very poor! But ur rite on them not following through with support.
Also i believe they were compromised before they even set off(months before during their basic training -the rebels that is!)

So might there be a way were you are equipped with a weapon that doesnt work or jams or somthing? Could be an intresting twist in the middle of an invasion!

thecolonel87

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2005, 11:38:45 »

BTW: Dont mean to offend anyone here if (as im guessing) some of you are american. Its just that your government does have a habit of helping resistance groups then abandoning them to be slaughtered!

We've all done it - Yanks, Brits (legends), Reds, Chinese, Japanese.....its a worldwide pastime.