Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Lookin for another 'unique' mission, any direction appreciated  (Read 1621 times)

Mr.Pibb

Hi again,

After spending way too much time looking and downloading a good few missions I am almost ready to give up on looking for a well done adventurous single player mission (or mp mission you can play alone). I am totally tired of the same old mind boggling large scale battles where you control anywhere from like 5 - 12 units and the missions are more just thinking than fun, and the few missions I have found that dont involve many ai units (if any) have been a dissapointment in many aspects.

So, heres my last shot, let me quickly explain the sort of mission Im lookin for:

Only a few ai units to control if any
 Lots of freedom, no bordered areas to restrict you
 A somewhat alive AI presence in more than just one or 2 locations, some movements happening too, patrols, convoys, etc.
 Very little 'forcing' the player to have to do certain things to progress in the mission, I really get sick of objectives that leave you no freedom, like for instance - New Objective 3 - Board Bmp - and if you dont board it, you basically fail the mission and if you do you get stuck for 20 min in the back with cinematics you are forced to watch, in my opinion an adventure type mission should allow multiple avenues to choose from.
 I guess to sum it up, I want a mission where I can just kick back and say, hmmm, that would be a neat spot to check out, on the way there stumble across an enemy troop convoy, then come away with a few extra weapons and get to my destination to find a town held by the enemy where the ai units arent all just standing there like retards (which usually reminds me that its a video game and I quit) but instead a few patrols, guys hanging out, etc - and other stuff to, maybe some allied ai actions, assaults, - dam I love playing a mission where out of nowhere you hear firing and explosions off in the distance, not only makes the mission more atmospheric but makes you want to head off into the unknown and see whats going on.

A mission with general similarities to such would be what I have been looking for, I mean ofp has been out for what? 3-4 years and no one has made a mission like this? - I dont belieive that, there must be something out there.

Anyhow, help me out guys please, sittin here on my day off wishing to be playing such a mission with nothing close found and bout ready tp give up.

« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2005, 19:57:32 by Mr.Pibb »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
It's not quite finished, but THobson's mission Abandoned Armies, currently on the beta testing board, is exactly what you describe.

It has sort of been done before but it is extremely difficult to do it right.   Many, many hundreds of hours of testing is required.

Also watch out for my own Unimpossible mission, which should hit the Missions Depot pending list soon.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
Lol.. Looking on the main thorum it looked like "looking for another... macguba"  :P. Yup.. go with MAcca's suggestion and try Abandoned Armies on the beta forum.

Mr.Pibb

Thanks for the help. I will give it a try. Man, why dont they at least give some description and rating to the tons of missions on sites like AtWar and others, you have no idea what yer downloading aside from the authors description, and then its too late, another hour wasted :-X -

I can appreciate the time spent to accomplish such missions as I am seeking, but in essence I would rather have one mission like that of quality then 20 + missions that are the regular standby. I take a look at the script for CTI  :o and ya, I can defenitely appreciate the time it takes to pull off large scale missions like that.

Thanks again macguba and Xcess, I intend to give the mission you recommended a try. Also will keep tabs on that upcoming mission from ya macguba.

Dubieman

Having played both unimpossible and Abandoned armies, they are both excellent choices. But its kind of a shame to not see more like that since they take so much time to create. And some don't have the time. :P

But I'm thinking of some new ideas now, inspired by Thobson's mission though. Makes me think the "regular" missions are obsolete, but not really. A loonnngg mission like those can be annoying if you want to have some fun quick. And it requires a certain playing style.  :P

And Macguba, how long is Unimpossible in the making? A year or two? ;D :D ;)
« Last Edit: 14 Feb 2005, 22:46:46 by GuiltyRoachKillar »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
What became Un-impossible first starting in August 02.   It's nearly finished.  ::)     The original thread is on the last page of the beta testing board.     When it does finally come out the zip will include a very early version so you can see what it was like then.    I have given up on it several times, and RL has intervened - for example I haven't had a chance to touch it since November.

Dubieman

A year or three... :P

Yea I remember you talkin about how it was so hard at the start and its gotten a little easier each time. I think I have ver. 0.65 or something, its still kicking around in my missions folder. :P ;)

Mr.Pibb

Sorry I didnt respond in some time, didnt know some more responses came in. I would like to try mission Un-impossible when it arrives. Abandoned Armies is very good, best I've seen, and thats the beta version!

Thanks

Dubieman

Whoops I've got v0.56... ::)

Mr. Pibb look on the second or third page of the beta board to find the Unimpossible Mission. And prepare to get frustrated! ;D
AND have fun. ;)

And maybe, just maybe in a a month or two or three a "New" WWII mission might just find its way to the beta board... :)

Mr.Pibb

Thanks ;)

« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2005, 22:31:05 by Mr.Pibb »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
Re:Lookin for another 'unique' mission, any direction appreciated
« Reply #10 on: 07 Mar 2005, 22:40:46 »
Un-Impossible Mission is at last finished and is now in the Missions Depot Pending list.

Offline Morglor9

• Members
Re:Lookin for another 'unique' mission, any direction appreciated
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2005, 07:17:56 »
a really fun OFP mission would be an action/adventure one. OFP Indiana Jones, perhaps? would be fun to forget about serious strategy and run around blowing up Nazis. now that i think about it, i need to buy an indy game...
Cymbaline