Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Nam Nam Nam Nam!  (Read 7066 times)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:Nam Nam Nam Nam!
« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2004, 15:54:51 »
Mmmmm... Pillows...

;D

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline Blip

• Members
  • ...Old OFP FART...
« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2004, 18:38:54 »
Alright here are some dates and stats for ya-

On July 28th 1965 the 1st Cavalry division (airmobile) got its orders from the president to move out to vietnam.

This move included the whole division (3 brigades), some 15,000 men, 485 aircraft, and 1600 vehicles.

On Sept. 25th 1965 the commander of the 1st cav. announced that they were ready to take full responisibility for their AO.  They had been operating in the area though since early september.

There main base of operation was An Ke.

Later,

Blip  :joystick:
...NIGHT WALKER....

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2004, 18:49:04 »
Nice. Thanks.

registered_fugitiv

« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2004, 10:00:06 »
Great rumors ::)

Any facts to back them up?

Sure just watch Universal Soldier, everything is based on truth in that movie.

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #19 on: 16 Dec 2004, 03:30:13 »
Yes, if you are interested in learning about Air Cav, read bout LZ X-Ray.

Lt. Col. Hal Moore and 450 americans of the 1st Battalion, 7th (Airmoble) Cavalry were inserted into LZ X-Ray, and immediatly surrounded by 2000 VC. By the time they came out a few days later, about 150-200 Americans were casulties, and over 1000 Vietnamese would never fight a war again. Not pretty.

No one seems to know much about the LRRPs either.
In the military its pronounced "Lurp", and it does stand for "Long Range Reconissance Patrol". They were really six man hunter-killer teams that performed one main operation. Insertion behind enemy lines to ambush and kill as many "gooks" as possible. LRRPs were organized as such:
TL - Team Leader
ATL - Assistant Team Leader
RTO - Radio Telephone Operator
Grenadier - M79 GL equiped soldier
Pointman - Carried a shotgun or M16A1
Rear security - Watched the team's tail, M16A1 equiped. (Usually set up a 1man ambush for ~3 mins then humped it back to his team.)
One of these teams in the Seventh Army was hit by a regiment sized unit of VC. SIX of these guys held them off with gunship and artillery support alone. 623 kills went to these Lurps, and another 1000+ were counted towards the Puffs (Huey gunships) and artillery.

Also, MFR - Marine Force Recon. These men slipped through the lines, gathered information on enemy supply lines, bases, hqs, and other important targets. Then slipped back to friendly lines after leaving a surprise for the enemy. Very rough guys, invisible in the jungle three feet from your nose.

And SF operated in 11 man A-Teams, just wanted to add.
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Stinky Nut Rappa

« Reply #20 on: 18 Dec 2004, 12:45:56 »
as a little hint, lots of american soldiers in the later years of the war ditched their m16s for ak47s. this would make a mission where your team has been cut off from supplies quite realistic. there was also teams in rural hamlets that did hearts and minds mission. they weren't exactly special forces, they just kept the villagers on the us side. before anyone says, these were not the green berets who helped the civilian irregular defence group (CIDG). the CIDG recruited vietnamese to attack the vc and act as scouts. the hamlet teams just protected the villages and got information. just read 'once a warrior king' by david donovan
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2004, 12:53:49 by Stinky Nut Rappa »

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2004, 15:18:37 »
Let's not forget that the yanks wern't exactly on their best behaviour out in Nam. So they wern't always trying to capture hearts and minds, a lot of them got so pissed off with being out in the country and having villagers betray them when they were trying to protect them they decided to kill villagers and bent the rules a lot of the time.
I'm not saying it's right but a lot of the time who could blame them ???
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

Offline Tyger

• Former Staff
  • I was at OFPEC when it still had dirt floors...
    • OFPEC
« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2004, 21:07:00 »
yeah, a friend of mine was a LRRP and an Airborne grunt in Vietnam.

He started out in the 173rd Airmobile Brigade, and one of his last ops in that unit was the reason he transfered.  His company was on the wing of a battalion sweep tward the Chu Pong Massif when Bravo got hit.  His company, Alpha, went in to save Bravo, and when they got there, 3/5s of the company was dead. He counted nine out of the eleven M16A1s in one clearing alone were jammed.  :o
"People sleep soundly at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

MSG Mike Everret - We Will Never Forget - '75-'08

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #23 on: 24 Apr 2005, 22:15:31 »
don't quote me on this, but i believe that the first action in Veitnam was between Marines and VC/NVA. Also, Ia Drang was one of the first Nam battlefields.
Cymbaline

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #24 on: 24 Apr 2005, 22:34:13 »
Uh-huh, well, this thread is kinda half-year old. ;D

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2005, 00:02:59 »
really? i should start checkin dates. got linked here from another thread, thought it was more recent.
Cymbaline

Agent Luciane

« Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2005, 08:50:53 »
The 101st airborne division is what is commonly referred to in the American War in Vietnam as Green Berets thats what the film Green Berets with the duke in it is about and I know alot of Green Beret veterans they had a various number of tasks including standard special forces,Training,Advising and also they also had the task of arming mercenaries who were funded by the CIA and US in general they mixed race Cambodians,Chinese,and  Vietnamese Hill tribes mercenaries (these were  were known as the most ruthless and effective because of local knowledge and general bushcraft and made very good soldiers in combat)...I  have a good mission based on fact ..at a special forces in South Vietnam a group of mercenaries who were living on the same quarters as the the USSF got into a disagreement with the US SF and seized the base for 48hours without killing or wounding any US SF personell the seige ended when the US agreed to there terms and let them continue to stay at the base but put them in a seperate compound within the base...all of the forces who you mentioned SEALS,Army Rangers,MFR,LLRP were all involved jointly in Operation Pheonix which was a US Government lead operation to help destroy and damage the VC inferstucture...the VC controlled the food,the beer,the pussy,the drugs,the bars so when the US soldiers went on R&R they were financing the VC and everything you could possibly imagine so they began assasinating high ranking provisional VC and NVA officials in there sleep entering heavily fortified VC encampments undetected carrying out the assasinations and disapeering into the night alot of the time the VC didn't realize the assasinations were carried out until the officials failed to rise from there bed in the morning the operation was very effective and they almost succeeded..also good reference for other more conventional mission of nam would be the Tunnels of Cu Chi in the book it tells of how the Tropical Lightning division of the US army the guerilla warfare experts of the US army built theyre base ontop of the Cu Chi Tunnel complex completely oblivious of the fact until they realised 3-4months later why they never could successfully secure the perimeter eventhough they had every inch of the ground covered hand grenades would be thrown into US army barracks at night and all the sentrys would say that thye saw nothing..in general the tasks of the US military weren't always unit specific theyre were players in each of the units carrying out the same type of missions as the others and different divisions were posted in different places..aslo the Marine Force Delta were formed here...the Macvsog was originally the macsog who came here as advisers but theyre task was changed to carrying out missions with vietnamese natives...has anyone ever created ARVN troops for flashpoint because you could have one of the last battles of the Vietnam civil war when the NVA and VC took control of the Saigon Airport

Offline Morglor9

• Members
« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2005, 05:14:31 »
dude, you should really read the entire thread before you post (and check dates, lol). actually, a moderator should probably lock this thing up and through away the key...
Cymbaline

Quang Tri

« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2005, 18:22:43 »
Hi All I am trying to get my site back up and going if have been away for a couple years but plz help me get started back up be sure to check my site out Quang Tri VietNam Missions

http://www.geocities.com/quang_tri_vietnam/

johan_d2

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jan 2006, 08:02:58 »
dude, you should really read the entire thread before you post (and check dates, lol). actually, a moderator should probably lock this thing up and through away the key...

NO NO, this is an very usefull thread. I checked the dates btw.

Dont lock it up!.

Whats a really good book on the whole Nam history?